Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316217 times)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3400 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 18:53:55 »
Anyone interested in buying some HE400i's?  :rolleyes:

what're you gonna replace them with?

Maybe some shiny new 400s?

Thinking about getting a pair to check out myself.  I like the new connector style and the early reviews haven't chased me off yet.

If the 400s goes on sale on Prime Day I might have to reconsider my x2s.  I think they should have picked a better name than 400s tho.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3401 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:05:25 »

Thinking about getting a pair to check out myself.  I like the new connector style and the early reviews haven't chased me off yet.

If the 400s goes on sale on Prime Day I might have to reconsider my x2s.  I think they should have picked a better name than 400s tho.

I'm actually debating between the x2 and 400s for my open option.  I kinda want a planar, but hfm's planars don't have the same low end feel that audeze does and a lot of reviews are saying it's a more neutral sound than the x2, too...

Guess I'll see what prime day does, too.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3402 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:11:32 »

I'm actually debating between the x2 and 400s for my open option.  I kinda want a planar, but hfm's planars don't have the same low end feel that audeze does and a lot of reviews are saying it's a more neutral sound than the x2, too...

I picked up one of the warehouse deals x2s for $240, so I didn't feel the need to wait for Prime Day on that.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3403 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:37:33 »

I picked up one of the warehouse deals x2s for $240, so I didn't feel the need to wait for Prime Day on that.

Hm, there are some up for $225 right now...

Thought about the ps500 from grado, too, but realized I really don't like on ear fitment.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3404 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 10:02:39 »
I got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40x today. They are supposed to be professional monitor headphones. I got them because of that, and because they have got really good reviews.

But when I try them out, all music sounds lower than my previous headphones and speakers except for THE BASS IS HURTING MY EARS. The lowest bass has too much pressure.
What? They are supposed to have a near-linear frequency response.
Not just pop music, but also Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel sound weird.

Is there something wrong with my pair of M40x's, have I been misinformed about the frequency response or have all my previous headphones just been crappy?
I want to return the headphones but I am not sure that I can do that if they are supposed to sound this way.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3405 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 10:17:13 »

I got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40x today. They are supposed to be professional monitor headphones. I got them because of that, and because they have got really good reviews.

But when I try them out, all music sounds lower than my previous headphones and speakers except for THE BASS IS HURTING MY EARS. The lowest bass has too much pressure.
What? They are supposed to have a near-linear frequency response.
Not just pop music, but also Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel sound weird.

Is there something wrong with my pair of M40x's, have I been misinformed about the frequency response or have all my previous headphones just been crappy?
I want to return the headphones but I am not sure that I can do that if they are supposed to sound this way.

My guess is that your ears have not adjusted to the sound signature of the headphones. M40 and M50 have really good bass extension. This means they can play very low sub-bass frequencies at detectable db. Sub bass is felt more than heard so maybe that is what you're not used to.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3406 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 13:32:23 »
**** the MEE grabbag shipped woo cheap iems

haven't had much chance to spent time with my cans lately :(
I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3407 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:56:43 »
Got my Philips Fidelio X2s today.. have to return them, the cable seems to be faulty.  The sound cuts out if you wiggle the cable the wrong way.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3408 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:58:07 »
**** the MEE grabbag shipped woo cheap iems

haven't had much chance to spent time with my cans lately :(

#massdrop_hates_on_canadians

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3409 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:19:29 »

The X2s are on sale for $70 off today!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3410 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:28:07 »
Anybody looking for some th600?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3411 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:32:17 »

I might be when CAD USD gets a little closer to sane ratios, and shipping becomes free.

but yes, I'm very tempted  :p

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3412 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:34:36 »

I might be when CAD USD gets a little closer to sane ratios, and shipping becomes free.

Pay him in super cheap Canadian medications instead!

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3413 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:37:09 »

Pay him in super cheap Canadian medications instead!

then i'd also have to give him the equivalent ~35% income tax I paid to fund them :P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3414 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 13:43:09 »
M-Duos are ok
I love Elzy

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3415 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 13:44:55 »
Prime day is not ok

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3416 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 13:46:14 »
Prime day is not ok

Fidelio X2s were on for a decent price, but I am waiting for more reviews of the he-400S

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3417 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 13:48:14 »
Prime day is not ok

Just checked the 'murican site, HD650s are down 10 cents from 459.00 to 458.90.

Get 'em while they're hot.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3418 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:06:42 »
Prime day is more like **** we can't sell any other day, day.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3419 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:08:19 »
Prime day is more like **** we can't sell any other day, day.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3420 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:30:59 »
The koss esp950 was down to 650 CDN which is a damn good price.

That's about $520USD

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3421 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:50:01 »
Prime day is not ok

Fidelio X2s were on for a decent price, but I am waiting for more reviews of the he-400S

Yes, but lightning sale, so there were less than enough for the demand available.  Or something.  I dunno, it would let me buy a pair with prime shipping and no delay at normal price fine, but not lightning sale price.

The koss esp950 was down to 650 CDN which is a damn good price.

That's about $520USD

I keep getting told I need to try those...

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3422 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 15:12:56 »
Electrostats are very unique...

If I didn't just pick up a GTX 980 and another duck viper I'd be on that deal so fast.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3423 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 16:47:20 »
Enjoying the Fidelio x2s so far

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3424 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 18:30:59 »
M-Duos have been casually burned in... they're nice for what I paid. All these sub $100 iems I'm getting to try are pretty impressive. Makes me think I'll never move onto customs
I love Elzy

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3425 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 18:49:25 »
M-Duos have been casually burned in... they're nice for what I paid. All these sub $100 iems I'm getting to try are pretty impressive. Makes me think I'll never move onto customs

Because you keep spending money on also-rans instead of saving it for something good.

Offline jackmercer

« Reply #3426 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:40:21 »
you should get the 30 dollar iphone headphones . I know that they don't seem very good , but believe me they are :thumb:

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3427 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:42:30 »
you should get the 30 dollar iphone headphones . I know that they don't seem very good , but believe me they are :thumb:

your trolling game needs a class in subtlety :P

disclaimer: they are actually decent, heard them before. i think fostex makes them or something.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:44:35 by ttzhou »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3428 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:44:43 »

He isn't trolling, he just wants free steam game codes from another thread and he needs 30 posts.

Offline jackmercer

« Reply #3429 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:56:04 »

He isn't trolling, he just wants free steam game codes from another thread and he needs 30 posts.
Hey , at least i was trying to write something sensible  ;D

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3430 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:21:54 »
I've heard that the apple ear buds are pretty decent from a few sources now

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3431 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:26:18 »
I bought a pair of Fidelio x2s and my wife bought a pair for me as well, so I have an extra pair atm.. either need to find someone that needs them or return one :o

Offline jamster

« Reply #3432 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:28:49 »

The free ones that come with an iDevice? Any sort of earbud is hard to go back to after using IEMs.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3433 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:05:05 »

The free ones that come with an iDevice? Any sort of earbud is hard to go back to after using IEMs.

No, the BA IEMs that they sell are supposedly not bad. The stock earbuds are awful

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3434 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:28:13 »
Now I need some really sound-blocking good head-phones for work... Next to me are some salesmen that platter on all day, and it is driving me mad.

My guess is that your ears have not adjusted to the sound signature of the headphones. M40 and M50 have really good bass extension. This means they can play very low sub-bass frequencies at detectable db. Sub bass is felt more than heard so maybe that is what you're not used to.
I figured out what it was. The M40Xs are just not particularly well defined in the lower bass registers. I have been used to my Denon AH-D1001 that are much better in that way.
The Denon phones seem to be discontinued... except rebranded as Creative Aurvana Live!. They don't seem to have been built any sturdier, though... I got the M40Xs because my old ones had a broken plastic hinge.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:55:04 by Findecanor »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3435 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:29:57 »
Now I need some really sound-blocking good head-phones for work... Next to me are some salesmen that platter on all day, and it is driving me mad.

I figured out what it was. The M40s are just not particularly well defined in the lower bass registers. I have been used to my Denon AH-D1001 that are much better in that way.

Look into the sennheiser momentums, classy for work, sound great, comfy, and are easy to drive if you don't want to buy an amp/dac for work.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3436 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:30:44 »

if you can settle for passable SQ, Bose are REALLY good at noise cancelling.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3437 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:39:34 »

I really doubt that he requires an active noise cancelling and I don't think the bose headphones filter voices out that well.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3438 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:01:10 »

I really doubt that he requires an active noise cancelling and I don't think the bose headphones filter voices out that well.

IEMs then, but not sure if he/she likes things sticking in their ear. can't comment on closed backs as I've never used them for blocking out voices. i just recommended bose because it helps with ambient stuff. i've never really thought about how they work with voices though, so you're probably right on that point.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3439 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:01:52 »
Yeah, active noise cancellation can only filter out continuous noise such as the whirr on air planes and trains, so it is not that that I am after.
However, I tried a couple of BOSE cancelling headphones yesterday and I think that they are pretty good at dampening sounds overall anyway. The sound quality did not impress me, though.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3440 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:53:50 »
Audio-Technica's QuietPoint® headphones use active noise-cancelling technology to reduce distracting background noise, providing an exceptionally comfortable and restful listening environment in areas with high ambient noise. Active noise-cancelling headphones have components not present in ordinary headphones:

Microphone – Noise-cancelling headphones feature a miniature microphone in the earpiece that picks up ambient noise (such as traffic, air-handling systems, etc.)

Noise-canceling circuitry – Electronics in the ear piece create a noise-cancelling wave that is 180° out of phase with the ambient noise. This wave acts like a noise eraser: it cancels out the annoying sounds that surround you without diminishing the audio you want to hear. The result…a peaceful enclave to enjoy the music or movies of your choice.

Battery – The noise-cancelling electronics are battery-powered.

Normally they focus on specific frequencies though.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #3441 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 23:07:24 »

I got the M-Duos too.  They're slightly better than my $7 Philips earbuds.  Well, the left one is.  The right one doesn't work right out of the box. :(

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3442 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:04:05 »
The right side of my AKG K812 suddenly went mute, tried changing cables (have two, stock and a custom 3rd party one), no joy. :( I was especially troubled because they are supposed to be off warranty, and the local distributor was rather reticent about cost of repair/replacement. Anyway, since it was one of my TOTL cans, I steeled myself and went ahead with the RMA (was prepared to pay up to 500USD for replacement). Since I'd gotten the can used, the seller indicated it was off warranty, and had been using it for a few months, I was expecting to be hit a few hundred USD's for the repair/replacement. :'(

A few days turned into weeks (the can had to be shipped to AKG Austria for assessment), and honestly speaking, I'd more or less given up on it. Called the local distributor at around the sixth week mark and was pleasantly surprised when I was told AKG has decided to replace my faulty unit with a brand new one! Of course, it occurred to me that I might have to pony up some serious deniros for the new unit. Imagine my even greater surprise when I was told that I need only pay for the shipping cost to AKG, that amounted to about 50USD! ;D

When I went to the local distributor for my replacement unit, the rep there opened a brand new sealed box of K812 before my eyes, I took the headphone and cable only, since I'd given them my headphone and cable for the RMA. Now that's outstanding customer service and I believe goodwill was extended to me as well. It's my firm belief that the warranty had expired, yet I need only pay a token shipping fee for a brand new unit......I don't think Sennheiser would ever do that! Not hating on Senn, just something I've gathered from other forums. Besides, I'm something of a Seen fanboy myself, but due to the outstanding manner in which my RMA was handled, I'd be more predisposed to getting another AKG can in the near future.

Anyway, sorry 'bout the rather long post, just rather stoked that I have a brand new K812 for a token RMA fee....

But this time round, the K812 isn't made in Austria anymore, and doesn't have that 'Made in Austria' print printed on the side, rather, there's a small sticker indicating country of origin.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3443 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:10:31 »
The right side of my AKG K812 suddenly went mute, tried changing cables (have two, stock and a custom 3rd party one), no joy. :( I was especially troubled because they are supposed to be off warranty, and the local distributor was rather reticent about cost of repair/replacement. Anyway, since it was one of my TOTL cans, I steeled myself and went ahead with the RMA (was prepared to pay up to 500USD for replacement). Since I'd gotten the can used, the seller indicated it was off warranty, and had been using it for a few months, I was expecting to be hit a few hundred USD's for the repair/replacement. :'(

A few days turned into weeks (the can had to be shipped to AKG Austria for assessment), and honestly speaking, I'd more or less given up on it. Called the local distributor at around the sixth week mark and was pleasantly surprised when I was told AKG has decided to replace my faulty unit with a brand new one! Of course, it occurred to me that I might have to pony up some serious deniros for the new unit. Imagine my even greater surprise when I was told that I need only pay for the shipping cost to AKG, that amounted to about 50USD! ;D

When I went to the local distributor for my replacement unit, the rep there opened a brand new sealed box of K812 before my eyes, I took the headphone and cable only, since I'd given them my headphone and cable for the RMA. Now that's outstanding customer service and I believe goodwill was extended to me as well. It's my firm belief that the warranty had expired, yet I need only pay a token shipping fee for a brand new unit......I don't think Sennheiser would ever do that! Not hating on Senn, just something I've gathered from other forums. Besides, I'm something of a Seen fanboy myself, but due to the outstanding manner in which my RMA was handled, I'd be more predisposed to getting another AKG can in the near future.

Anyway, sorry 'bout the rather long post, just rather stoked that I have a brand new K812 for a token RMA fee....
Show Image

But this time round, the K812 isn't made in Austria anymore, and doesn't have that 'Made in Austria' print printed on the side, rather, there's a small sticker indicating country of origin.
Show Image

What Senns do you have? I remember reading earlier in the thread that you traded your 800s.

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #3444 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:16:55 »
Best headphone I've ever had was the Audeze LCD-2. It just felt so real. However, it was kind of heavy and I moved to another office where open-backs would be annoying to others. I can't stand closed backs, so now I'm some using some cheapo earphones.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3445 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 08:28:57 »
What Senns do you have? I remember reading earlier in the thread that you traded your 800s.
Yep, traded my HD800 for a Grado PS1000, and I have the IE800, HD700 and an old HD555.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3446 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 08:37:13 »
Best headphone I've ever had was the Audeze LCD-2. It just felt so real. However, it was kind of heavy and I moved to another office where open-backs would be annoying to others. I can't stand closed backs, so now I'm some using some cheapo earphones.

Audeze has the LCD XC and the ELC8

Both of which are closed back.

The TH900 (although semi open) really made me rethink what's possible in a closed back.

I wouldn't discount any headphones purely on closed back because if done properly and well can sound VERY good and basically the same as an open back without the slight airiness inherent in an open back

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3447 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 12:40:59 »
I have had a lot of time to listen to the Audeze LCD XCs and they sound great! Completely changed my opinion on closed-back headphones.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3448 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:03:15 »
I have had a lot of time to listen to the Audeze LCD XCs and they sound great! Completely changed my opinion on closed-back headphones.

I wish I didn't have to sell mine.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3449 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:36:49 »

I wish I didn't have to sell mine.

Why is TJ selling all his audio goodies?