Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316155 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3500 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:51:00 »
Just had to put £600 aside for my house for the first time, it's going to be a while before I can afford my Vali and Modi, so a long time before I can use my 990s :(

Try building something simple in the meantime? =P

If you need some quick juice you could make a cmoy amp for almost nothing.

_----------------

It's a sad day when I get BMed for saying the Shure 940 has bad bass response and the Hd700 has crappy treble spikes.

Guess it's a good time to leave /r/headphones
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:53:49 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3501 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:44:25 »
Just had to put £600 aside for my house for the first time, it's going to be a while before I can afford my Vali and Modi, so a long time before I can use my 990s :(

_----------------

It's a sad day when I get BMed for saying the Shure 940 has bad bass response and the Hd700 has crappy treble spikes.

I did buy a little amp off mkawa a while ago, it was a community designed one, and it's only like 100mm/60mm. Can't remember for the life of me what it's called and it's at home so I can't get the name off it. I guess I could use it in the mean time.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3502 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:51:37 »

it's the internet. hell, it's reddit. i wouldn't take their BMing to heart, nor see it as indicative of that subreddit as a whole.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3503 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 18:10:54 »

_----------------

For when you want headphone opinions based on cost:performance ratios as deranged dogma - /r/headphones
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3504 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 20:45:24 »

it's the internet. hell, it's reddit. i wouldn't take their BMing to heart, nor see it as indicative of that subreddit as a whole.

It's that a lot of these comments are delusional or completely ignorant. Basing their own opinion of a product from someone else's opinion who had 10 seconds with it and has no comparison for headphones.

Or they've convinced themselves of the opposite so they can rationalize the purchase. The number of times I've heard of "X headphones being the TOTL killer" is insane.

I recently got to audition the SA5000 from Sony which is supposed to be an HD800 killer and it was not even a contest. The only thing I'd say is maybe the sa5000 had a sweeter treble but the rest of the frequency range was far too lacking in quality.

Ugh

Sorry for the rant. Just annoyed by rampant ignorance.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3505 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 21:00:13 »

_----------------

How dare you speak against the groupthink and anti-hype hype.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3506 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 05:58:22 »

It's that a lot of these comments are delusional or completely ignorant. Basing their own opinion of a product from someone else's opinion who had 10 seconds with it and has no comparison for headphones.

Or they've convinced themselves of the opposite so they can rationalize the purchase. The number of times I've heard of "X headphones being the TOTL killer" is insane.

I recently got to audition the SA5000 from Sony which is supposed to be an HD800 killer and it was not even a contest. The only thing I'd say is maybe the sa5000 had a sweeter treble but the rest of the frequency range was far too lacking in quality.

Ugh

The same can be said of head-fi. I actually think /r/headphones is better in this respect.

At the end of the day, it's just a guy/girl taking advantage of anonymity to act like an ass to overcome other shortcomings in their life. I find that this mindset helps me get over this stuff.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3507 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 10:22:26 »

Ugh

The same can be said of head-fi. I actually think /r/headphones is better in this respect.

At the end of the day, it's just a guy/girl taking advantage of anonymity to act like an ass to overcome other shortcomings in their life. I find that this mindset helps me get over this stuff.

I tend to ignore the big circle jerk threads in headfi.

All those "appreciation" threads.

I'll just join in on discussion threads and such.

There's also a huge elitist mindset among a portion of the members there.

Discussing the AK240 with other owners they don't even see the AK240 as "high end" anymore because the 380 is out...

Weird to see this kind of classification but then again, I bought Alpha Dogs as budget headphones at some point...

On /r/headphones I really don't see any elitism. Most members there seem to just own a a few headphones, if even, and base all their knowledge of other headphones on reviews =\

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2015, 10:24:19 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3508 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 10:33:05 »
On /r/headphones I really don't see any elitism. Most members there seem to just own a a few headphones, if even, and base all their knowledge of other headphones on reviews =\

It's why I use /r/headphones, there tends to be a bit more of an objective approach to things. Although, IMO, at times it still falls victim to "hero" worship, where a bunch of members will become sycophants and blindly defend the views of well established members with strong opinions, and downvote you if you go against it.

Usually if I want good info or reviews I stick to YouTube videos or try changstar once in a while.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3509 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 10:36:55 »

It's why I use /r/headphones, there tends to be a bit more of an objective approach to things. Although, IMO, at times it still falls victim to "hero" worship, where a bunch of members will become sycophants and blindly defend the views of well established members with strong opinions, and downvote you if you go against it.

Usually if I want good info or reviews I stick to YouTube videos or try changstar once in a while.

Luckily for me I've tried almost every headphones that I'll ever consider getting through owning them, friends owning them or from the show that passes through once a year.

Only missing a couple like the unicorn rarity headphones (R10, Orpheus and L3000) and very new headphones (Hifiman HE1000 and Ether)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3510 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 13:53:17 »
I bought the Shure SRH840 today. Subjectively, they sound much better than the Audio-Technica M40x ... but they should at twice the price.
Still apprehensive, and can't... stop... reading... more headphone reviews. Gah, I hope I won't starting going through headphones now the way I have gone through keyboards.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3511 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 13:58:57 »
IEMs under < $200 are so hard to pick... so many choices.

Anyone know of a good IEM ~150-200 range that has great midrange vocals, but does not skimp on treble or sub-bass? Neutral mid-bass is fine with me (HD650 satisfies me for that) but I'm specifically looking for good vocals and good extension. For reference, I think Shure SE215 is not detailed and *too* bassy.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #3512 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:27:06 »

Anyone know of a good IEM ~150-200 range that has great midrange vocals, but does not skimp on treble or sub-bass? Neutral mid-bass is fine with me (HD650 satisfies me for that) but I'm specifically looking for good vocals and good extension. For reference, I think Shure SE215 is not detailed and *too* bassy.

I think the Sony BHA-3 fits in your description. It has been replaced for newer models but I remember you could still buy them form the US Sony shop website.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3513 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:31:34 »

I think the Sony BHA-3 fits in your description. It has been replaced for newer models but I remember you could still buy them form the US Sony shop website.

tanks! will take a look at some reviews  :)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3514 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 15:16:52 »
Has anyone spent any time with the newer denon mm400 or the blue mo-fi?  Looking at them or the momentum m2 or mdr-1a.

Offline Ryukuxyz

• VE.A!!!
« Reply #3515 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:45:23 »
Not over-ears, but I bought a pair of Sony XBA-H1 earphones a few days back.  Got em for 40 bucks refurbished at Amazon.  Really really impressed with the sound quality, especially for $40.  Would recommend to people looking to pick up cheap earbuds.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3516 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:50:19 »
Would recommend to people looking to pick up cheap earbuds in-ear monitors.

Sorry, not calling you out directly, I'm just a bit pedantic when it comes to the difference in meaning. :p

Offline Axollott

« Reply #3517 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 22:11:00 »

tanks! will take a look at some reviews  :)
Sorry, it's XBA-3. My bad.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3518 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 22:24:35 »
I have finally decided that I am happy with what I have lol no more searching for that constant upgrade.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3519 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 22:29:33 »
I have finally decided that I am happy with what I have lol no more searching for that constant upgrade.

It is a relieving feeling.  Happened when I got my K10s and then hit me again when the 560s came out.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3520 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 22:34:44 »
Tried the blue mo-fi at fry's today.  I think I'm gunna be happy back in mid-fi for a while.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3521 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 22:36:22 »

It is a relieving feeling.  Happened when I got my K10s and then hit me again when the 560s came out.

Yeah the only thing that could potentially tempt me is a portable amp for my se846. I am learning to appreciate the HD650 WA7 pairing so much more.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3522 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 23:45:05 »

Damn you binge!!!!  >:D  You have my endgame iems and headphones!!  :))

Offline genkidama

« Reply #3523 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 03:09:06 »
Am I right here for asking about a headphones/headsets I bought?

If yes:
I recently bought the A151P 2nd Gen from MEEElectronics and am wondering right now. When I listen to mp3's and flac's I hear a static "noise", but only in-between songs or if the song itself is slow. When I hit the stop button the noise is also cancelled or rather just gone. Do I hit the play button again I can hear the noise again. If I'm correct I think the static noise varies in regard to the songs' sound. So if the sound goes up the static noise gets up as well (alhtough not as much as you might think).
Is this normal?

For comparison I have a very old pair of (I think) Bose SoundTrue On-Ear headphones (they're like 4yrs old) and with them I didn't hear such a static noise (also tested with mp3 and flac files).

I only hear the static noise with the A151P when the songs quieter or when the songs are changing. I guess the other times the song just lays their sound over the static noise.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3524 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 10:36:52 »
Am I right here for asking about a headphones/headsets I bought?

If yes:
I recently bought the A151P 2nd Gen from MEEElectronics and am wondering right now. When I listen to mp3's and flac's I hear a static "noise", but only in-between songs or if the song itself is slow. When I hit the stop button the noise is also cancelled or rather just gone. Do I hit the play button again I can hear the noise again. If I'm correct I think the static noise varies in regard to the songs' sound. So if the sound goes up the static noise gets up as well (alhtough not as much as you might think).
Is this normal?

For comparison I have a very old pair of (I think) Bose SoundTrue On-Ear headphones (they're like 4yrs old) and with them I didn't hear such a static noise (also tested with mp3 and flac files).

I only hear the static noise with the A151P when the songs quieter or when the songs are changing. I guess the other times the song just lays their sound over the static noise.

Sounds like hiss from your music player.

Even my Nobles have that static when being used on my phone.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #3525 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:09:01 »

With Nobles you mean the company where you can get amplifiers and stuff?
So it's more of a phone issue then a headphone issue?

Is there something I could do to improve it?
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3526 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:13:10 »
If I'm correct I think the static noise varies in regard to the songs' sound. So if the sound goes up the static noise gets up as well (alhtough not as much as you might think).
Is this normal?

Good headphones do a great job of discerning ****, whether it is poor mastering or a noisy output signal.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3527 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:15:20 »

No, the company that makes the custom IEMs

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3528 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:20:49 »

Yes, spend all your time looking for a source with a low enough noise floor as to not produce static in your sensitive headphones.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3529 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:31:06 »

Yes, spend all your time looking for a source with a low enough noise floor as to not produce static in your sensitive headphones.

In simple terms, get a higher quality source.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3530 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:02:15 »
JDS Labs C5D is great for IEMs so long as you match the gain to the IEM.  :thumb:

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3531 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:05:41 »
JDS Labs C5D is great for IEMs so long as you match the gain to the IEM.  :thumb:

I really want to jump on the C5/C5D, but a part of me is still wondering if Robert is going to come through with the Arrow 5TX

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3532 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:07:39 »

I really want to jump on the C5/C5D, but a part of me is still wondering if Robert is going to come through with the Arrow 5TX

Dunno who this Robert is but unless it's like... THE BEST DEAL EVER I'd just grab a C5D.  It's fantastic.  No ragrats.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3533 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:15:34 »

Dunno who this Robert is but unless it's like... THE BEST DEAL EVER I'd just grab a C5D.  It's fantastic.  No ragrats.

It's quite cost-effective as well, it can run fullsize cans to ear-splitting volume levels, driving my HD650 quite well. (I'm of the school that I don't really notice much in the way of amplifier differences - if it drives it loud enough, I'm happy).

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3534 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:27:22 »

Okay, I'll bite when my next paycheck clears.  :))  RIP new DAP fund

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3535 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:36:54 »

I've given up on DAPs.  The x5 is affordable, but for the cost of a C5D and a single phone app... I can listen to great quality music.

Just remember when you order to request the gain reduced on it's normal setting so it is IEM friendly and then to have the gain boost set to 1x.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3536 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:50:10 »

I've given up on DAPs.  The x5 is affordable, but for the cost of a C5D and a single phone app... I can listen to great quality music.

Just remember when you order to request the gain reduced on it's normal setting so it is IEM friendly and then to have the gain boost set to 1x.

Good to know.  Thanks for the tip  :thumb:

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3537 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 16:24:36 »

wait, you can customize c5ds gain? i thought that was only o2+odac combo. can't find the customization option on their site for the c5d...

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3538 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 16:48:58 »

wait, you can customize c5ds gain? i thought that was only o2+odac combo. can't find the customization option on their site for the c5d...

You have to e-mail them.  They told me it can be programmed in before they ship it out.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #3539 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:16:45 »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3540 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:23:18 »
3 months of Tidal for free:

http://go.tidal.com/us/reg/US2000/usTIDAL6VBk4gGTICJIMMY/PREMIUM

They give a free 3 months online but I go see them at a show (or at least someone they're partnering with) and they only give me a card for 1 month

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3541 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:11:27 »

You have to e-mail them.  They told me it can be programmed in before they ship it out.

darn; ah well, 2.3x seems plenty fine for noise floor anyway.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3542 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:35:27 »

It's silent as can be, the issue is that if you use IEMs you'll blow your ears out with the standard 2.3x gain.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3543 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:36:35 »

It's silent as can be, the issue is that if you use IEMs you'll blow your ears out with the standard 2.3x gain.
i use mine with iems. no problem at all...

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3544 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:37:33 »

The K10s have ridiculous sensitivity.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3545 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 23:50:07 »

Binge, did you ever get a chance to try any cheaper IEMs that you could compare to the k10s? Currently have shure se535s and was wondering about some of the cheaper noble options..

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3546 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 23:58:06 »

Binge, did you ever get a chance to try any cheaper IEMs that you could compare to the k10s? Currently have shure se535s and was wondering about some of the cheaper noble options..

Just save up and go full blownsies

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3547 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:18:42 »

>has tried 535s and owns the K10
>doesn't get asked

:'(

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3548 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:36:56 »

My ears and universal iems do not mix.  I went custom to overcome my tiny tiny tiny ear canals.  Going that route I went full retard.  No regrets B-)

Glitched will have better input.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3549 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:48:10 »

My ears and universal iems do not mix.  I went custom to overcome my tiny tiny tiny ear canals.  Going that route I went full retard.  No regrets B-)

Glitched will have better input.

I know exactly how you feel about the Custom art though.

That's quite a bit of money that you'll never get back on art that you don't even see while you're listening to them