Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316134 times)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3550 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 01:32:27 »
It's silent as can be, the issue is that if you use IEMs you'll blow your ears out with the standard 2.3x gain.
i use mine with iems. no problem at all...

The K10s have ridiculous sensitivity.

Binge, did you ever get a chance to try any cheaper IEMs that you could compare to the k10s? Currently have shure se535s and was wondering about some of the cheaper noble options..
My ears and universal iems do not mix.  I went custom to overcome my tiny tiny tiny ear canals.  Going that route I went full retard.  No regrets B-)

Glitched will have better input.

I know exactly how you feel about the Custom art though.

That's quite a bit of money that you'll never get back on art that you don't even see while you're listening to them

Alright glitched spill the beans! I use my se535s usually for at least 5 hours a day while studying or doign lab work. I like their sound but not their comfort. Got recommendations for a cheaper ciem that has equal or better sound? As ideal as K10s are, I cannot afford them right now.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3551 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 02:02:30 »
It's silent as can be, the issue is that if you use IEMs you'll blow your ears out with the standard 2.3x gain.

Binge, did you ever get a chance to try any cheaper IEMs that you could compare to the k10s? Currently have shure se535s and was wondering about some of the cheaper noble options..
My ears and universal iems do not mix.  I went custom to overcome my tiny tiny tiny ear canals.  Going that route I went full retard.  No regrets B-)

That's quite a bit of money that you'll never get back on art that you don't even see while you're listening to them

Alright glitched spill the beans! I use my se535s usually for at least 5 hours a day while studying or doign lab work. I like their sound but not their comfort. Got recommendations for a cheaper ciem that has equal or better sound? As ideal as K10s are, I cannot afford them right now.
I found the mids on the se535 to be sublime with decent low end and very sharp and sibilant highs.

I honestly loved them if not for the sibilance.

The K10 on the other hand are a bit weak in the treble region. Kind of dull actually. The sub bass is impactful and present unlike most IEMs. Mids aren't as smooth and sublime but still rich. The sound feels like it aims to be better for rock and electronic but not particularly good for the type of music I listen to. Though as an on the go it's really solid (I compare mainly to full sized headphones).

As for options the lower end nobles supposedly have much different sound signatures to the K10s so if you want something richer and more like the 535 maybe one of those will actually be preferable.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3552 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 09:05:18 »
Can confirm the highs are rather silky almost to a fault.  Paired with the C5D and I could hear everything, all sounds accounted for, but nothing ethereal or sublime like good estats.  I need to stress the part about all sounds accounted for... nothing was faint, but the rest of the signature was so impactful it makes the highs seem dull in comparison.  All bad words.  They still leave me quite impressed.  GL1TCH3D found great words to describe them, but I want to say it's like that and still very different from a veiled sound.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3553 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:24:47 »
Can confirm the highs are rather silky almost to a fault.  Paired with the C5D and I could hear everything, all sounds accounted for, but nothing ethereal or sublime like good estats.  I need to stress the part about all sounds accounted for... nothing was faint, but the rest of the signature was so impactful it makes the highs seem dull in comparison.  All bad words.  They still leave me quite impressed.  GL1TCH3D found great words to describe them, but I want to say it's like that and still very different from a veiled sound.

I find it's that the highs aren't sharp (resolved) enough. It's like the treble equivalent of a loose bass.

Also the symbal crashes are extremely dull

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3554 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:36:02 »

I find it's that the highs aren't sharp (resolved) enough. It's like the treble equivalent of a loose bass.

I'd get that looked at... my crashes sound reference.  The snares have a bit more low end impact than my 560s, and the low end just hnnnnggggg.  Like I said it sounds more laid back than the rest of the spectrum, and while its definitely not estat quality I would say the treble is on par with some of the best planars and dynamics.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3555 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:54:07 »

I'd get that looked at... my crashes sound reference.  The snares have a bit more low end impact than my 560s, and the low end just hnnnnggggg.  Like I said it sounds more laid back than the rest of the spectrum, and while its definitely not estat quality I would say the treble is on par with some of the best planars and dynamics.

I never found planars to have that sweet treble. Usually I think of electrostatics when I think of a sweet treble.

What source are you using?

I have to send them in again (for the 4th time) so I'll ask them to check that but I know others mentioned stuff like the crashes being dulled. It seems like the treble was dulled to be more relaxing and more pleasing to people who are sensitive to sharper treble

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3556 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 13:02:56 »

I never found planars to have that sweet treble. Usually I think of electrostatics when I think of a sweet treble.

I have to send them in again (for the 4th time) so I'll ask them to check that but I know others mentioned stuff like the crashes being dulled. It seems like the treble was dulled to be more relaxing and more pleasing to people who are sensitive to sharper treble

I use a C5D @ 1x gain.  Generally used with my GSIII running USB Audio Player.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #3557 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 14:01:24 »

I hear the Noble Savant is supposed to be quite good, like "baby" K10s.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3558 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 09:08:35 »

I use a C5D @ 1x gain.  Generally used with my GSIII running USB Audio Player.

never tried that to be honest.

Actually never even read anything about it. I use the AK120 (before it was stolen) and now the AK240

Maybe I should try another player.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #3559 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 08:05:11 »
I'm looking for an amp/dac to go with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm headphones, but I'm a noob and I need help picking something out. I'd prefer to keep it around $100-150CAD if possible. I'm currently in on the drop for the Objective 2 amplifier on MassDrop, but I'm trying to decide if I should stay in or not. If I spend my budget on just the amp, the music quality is probably going to be crappy running everything through my motherboards on-board soundcard. I only have a couple days to decide whether or not I want the O2.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Something portable would be a nice bonus, but it will be on my desk 95% of the time.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #3560 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 08:20:45 »
I'm looking for an amp/dac to go with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm headphones, but I'm a noob and I need help picking something out. I'd prefer to keep it around $100-150CAD if possible. I'm currently in on the drop for the Objective 2 amplifier on MassDrop, but I'm trying to decide if I should stay in or not. If I spend my budget on just the amp, the music quality is probably going to be crappy running everything through my motherboards on-board soundcard. I only have a couple days to decide whether or not I want the O2.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Something portable would be a nice bonus, but it will be on my desk 95% of the time.
Fiio E10K should do the trick
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #3561 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 08:34:32 »

Fiio E10K should do the trick

I was looking at that one, it's right around the right price range, but I think the specs say it's only rated for 150 ohm headphones. I like my music loud, do you think it will give me enough power to turn my headphones way up if I want to? I know the O2 would definitely power them, but then I'd probably be stuck listening to motherboard soundcard hiss.  :))

Thanks for your help!  ;D

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3562 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 10:20:19 »
I've told many a times that my source (amp and dac) was lacking, so I decided to upgrade them. I wasn't prepared to throw a ton of money into them, so I ended up was what I consider to be the best performance/price components I could lay my hands on......Gustard H10 headamp and X12 DAC.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2015, 22:51:03 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3563 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 11:49:42 »
I've told many a times that my source (amp and dac) was lacking, so I decided to upgrade them. I wasn't prepared to throw a ton of money into them, so I ended up was what I consider to be the best performance/price components I could lay my hands on......Gustard H10 headamp and X12 DAC.
Show Image

I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3564 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 13:58:49 »
ONLY $400 amp..  if you are going to talk about low cost stuff I wouldn't start that high >_<

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3565 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 14:55:34 »
ONLY $400 amp..  if you are going to talk about low cost stuff I wouldn't start that high >_<

People on headfi in the AK240 thread call the AK240 good value...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3566 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:18:43 »
Because it's head-fi and most of these people have a problem.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3567 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:22:49 »

On the opposite end there are people on reddit that feel $100 headphones are high end =S

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3568 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:24:18 »

On the opposite end there are people on reddit that feel $100 headphones are high end =S

Because it's reddit and most of these people have a problem.

I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3569 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:21:04 »
To be totally fair we all have ****ing problems spending money on these things.

It's only an actual *issue* however if you are spending beyond your means, like taking credit card loans or stuff.

That being said I cannot see why those head fiers blow a thousand on amps just to get synergy. Maybe there is a difference... but I think its better to just buy a new headphone at that point.

Or just EQ. A lot of those audiophiles have an allergy to digital solutions.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3570 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:36:19 »

It's only an actual *issue* however if you are spending beyond your means, like taking credit card loans or stuff.

That being said I cannot see why those head fiers blow a thousand on amps just to get synergy. Maybe there is a difference... but I think its better to just buy a new headphone at that point.

I don't think a lot of the vocal people that say things like "I want to hear what the artist intended" or "I want to hear it how the producer did on the board" know how or what to really do. 

BTW, more people need to praise and use the x2.  I'm not going to be bold enough to say they're the best thing I've used to listen to music, but for the price?  Yeah, they're legit great and do exactly what I was missing from other popular mid-fi things like the hd6x0, dt880 and akg open stuff.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3571 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:44:54 »

I don't think a lot of the vocal people that say things like "I want to hear what the artist intended" or "I want to hear it how the producer did on the board" know how or what to really do. 

BTW, more people need to praise and use the x2.  I'm not going to be bold enough to say they're the best thing I've used to listen to music, but for the price?  Yeah, they're legit great and do exactly what I was missing from other popular mid-fi things like the hd6x0, dt880 and akg open stuff.
In my limited experience and subjective opinion, if you want to hear what the artist intended, you need to shell out a mini-fortune to buy studio monitors that measure ruler flat.

Then you pay even more money to develop a perfect room free of acoustic imperfection. Then you play the original wav file. Then you declare bankruptcy, and possibly feel endless regret when you realize you preferred a coloured sound after all - the so called "fun" sound that you mention, which could have been had by just buying an X2.

All these audiophile buzzwords of "natural, neutral, etc." are not actually equivalent to what, in my opinion, is the true measure of hifi: transparency and accuracy. What sounds "natural" to one sounds "bright" or "sterile" to another. To me, and I could be totally wrong, if you want true accuracy, do as I said above with studio monitors.

Otherwise just pick headphones that look/sound pleasing and adjust your brain to the sound until you like it. Then spend your money on wiser things. [/rant]

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3572 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:46:03 »

In my experience not all headphones like EQ and there are still kind of "gaps" in the high end market for sound signatures.

I loved the mids on the W3000anv but the bass and treble were quite weak. However that wasn't the fault of the driver but the pads used that muffled certain frequencies and therefore was not helped by EQ at all.

However the TH900 did fantastic with EQ

(Dammit TJ send me those TH900!)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3573 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 20:05:39 »

In my experience not all headphones like EQ and there are still kind of "gaps" in the high end market for sound signatures.

I loved the mids on the W3000anv but the bass and treble were quite weak. However that wasn't the fault of the driver but the pads used that muffled certain frequencies and therefore was not helped by EQ at all.

It's a super easy process for this to happen, lol.  (They respond brilliantly to an EQ, so did the lcd-xc.  Most of the hifiman stuff?  Not so much)

I agree that there are things that take to an eq better than others, too.  That said, knowing limitations of the reproduction gear, how to work around them and actually knowing what to tweak to get a sound "Right" is a lost art that's been replaced with "just buy more/different stuff".  I, admittedly, am also guilty of this as much as any of the people I refer to when I say this, but I also know I'm treble sensitive and purchase and work with that.

Buzzwords are the quickest way to get me to rage and stop reading a review.  Tell me, with clear words, what you hear or don't hear out of a device. Tell me why you do or don't like this.  I know me and what I want out of a headphone to be able to parse that information into a knowledgeable purchase.  Also, exaggeration of differences to sell other people on why you spent $1500 on a whatever is a root cause of this buzzword crap.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3574 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 20:24:13 »
That's the thing, in my neck of tthe woods, I've been criticized for wasting my money on 'low end' gear like the Gustard. To them, if it doesn't hit 4 figures pricewise, it's a low end component. I've learnt to ignore these types, these elitists who believe thousands spent on a single gear is a 'good buy'.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3575 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 01:06:10 »

It's a super easy process for this to happen, lol.  (They respond brilliantly to an EQ, so did the lcd-xc.  Most of the hifiman stuff?  Not so much)

I agree that there are things that take to an eq better than others, too.  That said, knowing limitations of the reproduction gear, how to work around them and actually knowing what to tweak to get a sound "Right" is a lost art that's been replaced with "just buy more/different stuff".  I, admittedly, am also guilty of this as much as any of the people I refer to when I say this, but I also know I'm treble sensitive and purchase and work with that.

Buzzwords are the quickest way to get me to rage and stop reading a review.  Tell me, with clear words, what you hear or don't hear out of a device. Tell me why you do or don't like this.  I know me and what I want out of a headphone to be able to parse that information into a knowledgeable purchase.  Also, exaggeration of differences to sell other people on why you spent $1500 on a whatever is a root cause of this buzzword crap.

Sometimes the tweak isn't too feasible. For the W3000anv it meant changing the pads. The only other pads that were known to fit were the alpha pads (tried them and they just increased the treble reflections while fixing the bass) and the Fostex TH600/900 pads which are not sold separately.

It was unfortunate =(

I agree that a lot can be solved with some tweaking and proper EQ. Though that really only affects the sound signature and not the fact that maybe the soundstage is very limited on X pair of headphones or the bass is loose and muddy on Y pair (although that could just be the dampening / baffle)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2015, 01:08:02 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3576 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 01:46:47 »

Sometimes the tweak isn't too feasible. For the W3000anv it meant changing the pads. The only other pads that were known to fit were the alpha pads (tried them and they just increased the treble reflections while fixing the bass) and the Fostex TH600/900 pads which are not sold separately.

It was unfortunate =(

I agree that a lot can be solved with some tweaking and proper EQ. Though that really only affects the sound signature and not the fact that maybe the soundstage is very limited on X pair of headphones or the bass is loose and muddy on Y pair (although that could just be the dampening / baffle)

I'm assuming the lawton pads didn't help?  I know I've seen a few of the th pads floating around as well. Edit - found them on full compass for $34 a piece

And yes, there are just some things like physical parts, interferences and engineering that EQing can't affect. Putting low end into an senn hd headphone comes to mind.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3577 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 18:13:50 »
A bit of a shot in the dark but has anyone heard the z7 and pm-3 to do any comparisons?  I'm thinking one or the other of those for a mid-fi closed option.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3578 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 22:19:57 »
A bit of a shot in the dark but has anyone heard the z7 and pm-3 to do any comparisons?  I'm thinking one or the other of those for a mid-fi closed option.

The Z7 was awful but I thought you had one already and sold it?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3579 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 22:34:55 »

I did.  I didn't like it compared to the th900, but dunno if the same would be true compared to the pm-3.  It looks like it might be, just my sony fanboi clawing and scratching for a chance to make the decision.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3580 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 00:10:37 »

I did.  I didn't like it compared to the th900, but dunno if the same would be true compared to the pm-3.  It looks like it might be, just my sony fanboi clawing and scratching for a chance to make the decision.

wtf just get pm3 scrub
I love Elzy

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3581 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:54:25 »

To be fair the Z7 is one of the worst things I've heard in the $300+ price range (and to think that the original price was $1000?)

I heard rumours that they'd be releasing something bigger and better. I hope it's a successor to the R10 but frankly the Z7 was lousy. I'm glad I didn't buy in on the hype

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3582 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:48:39 »
Seems more 'mid-fi' to go with your open headphones and some iems and just skip closed backs all together :o

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3583 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:50:27 »
Seems more 'mid-fi' to go with your open headphones and some iems and just skip closed backs all together :o

To be completely fair, this is a better idea considering how good the x2 are at doing what I want them to do right out of the box.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3584 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:14:54 »
Glad you are liking them as much as I am! ;)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3585 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 21:19:21 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3586 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 23:15:53 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/final-audio-design-sonorous-vi-headphone

Cmon TJ.

I know you want to bite

Actually, I've been intrigued with the pandoras for a while now.  The price is just a little too steep for my current budget preferences.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3587 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 23:33:33 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/final-audio-design-sonorous-vi-headphone

Cmon TJ.

I know you want to bite

Actually, I've been intrigued with the pandoras for a while now.  The price is just a little too steep for my current budget preferences.

I'm much more interested in the sonorous X though since I like dabbling in the higher end market more.

Although I was severely disappointed in the FIBASS

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3588 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 12:53:28 »
http://www.head-fi.org/t/753381/head-fi-meet-downtown-montreal-2015-august-29th-30th/30#post_11816705

Calling Montrealers!

Or anyone willing to make the trip

I can bring one of my keyboards too

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3589 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 03:18:25 »
Anyone unimpressed/unhappy with the AKG K702? I just got mine today, and I have to admit I'm kind of unimpressed. I have a Sennheiser HD-650, and it has waaaaaaaaaaay more treble detail than the K702. In comparison the treble in the K702 sounds more rough, grainy, and thin. Overall I'm just kind of "meh" about the headphones.

Anyone else have the same impressions of the AKG? Or is it just me?

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3590 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 08:33:13 »
Anyone unimpressed/unhappy with the AKG K702? I just got mine today, and I have to admit I'm kind of unimpressed. I have a Sennheiser HD-650, and it has waaaaaaaaaaay more treble detail than the K702. In comparison the treble in the K702 sounds more rough, grainy, and thin. Overall I'm just kind of "meh" about the headphones.

HD650 having more treble "detail" than K702 somewhat surprises me, but we all perceive detail differently.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3591 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 08:43:01 »

I didn't find the hd650 to have more treble detail but I did find the treble rough and graint with the k/q700 series

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3592 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 09:11:43 »

HD650 having more treble "detail" than K702 somewhat surprises me, but we all perceive detail differently.

That's part of the beauty of the HD650 IMO. It scales so well with the rest of the system, it can improve dramatically as you upgrade amps/source. One person's 650 setup will sound noticeably different than another's. I think that colors comparisons just as much as the differences individuals perceive.

I sometimes regret giving away my HD650s, but they just weren't getting enough use. I use IEMs a lot more than full sized cans.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3593 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 09:54:59 »

That's part of the beauty of the HD650 IMO. It scales so well with the rest of the system, it can improve dramatically as you upgrade amps/source. One person's 650 setup will sound noticeably different than another's. I think that colors comparisons just as much as the differences individuals perceive.

I sometimes regret giving away my HD650s, but they just weren't getting enough use. I use IEMs a lot more than full sized cans.

I'm a bit in the objectivist camp, I believe amps should be transparent and let the headphones play their natural sound (otherwise why not just use EQ?).

I love my 650s, but at times I wish there was a just tad more upper mid/treble energy for certain songs. Oddly enough they work super good with Rise Against, but don't do very well with some jrock bands (ONE OK ROCK).

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3594 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:35:31 »
HiFiMan is destroying it with the 400i and 560s.  Planars are love and HD650 left me wanting.

Getting an ESP950 at $400 will change your life. 

CIEMs are expensive and fragile and amazing. IEMs are for people with gaping ear canals.

Bass heads will love the Philips x2s and old LCD V2.2 pre fazor. 

I still think the Fischer FA003/FA003Ti are fantastic headphones for the money. 

The 880 250ohm are pretty kickass headphones which sound more open than they really are.

Wide soundstage is strange when it's artificial but amazing when you can pick out footsteps coming from behind you in a game.  Gaming headsets are often terrible.

I wish there were more headphone stores or ways to rent equipment.  Learning about Hi-Fi while removed from a lot of the meeting hubs is expensive.

#audiophool

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3595 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 12:28:38 »
HiFiMan is destroying it with the 400i and 560s.  Planars are love and HD650 left me wanting.

Getting an ESP950 at $400 will change your life. 

CIEMs are expensive and fragile and amazing. IEMs are for people with gaping ear canals.

Bass heads will love the Philips x2s and old LCD V2.2 pre fazor. 

I still think the Fischer FA003/FA003Ti are fantastic headphones for the money. 

The 880 250ohm are pretty kickass headphones which sound more open than they really are.

Wide soundstage is strange when it's artificial but amazing when you can pick out footsteps coming from behind you in a game.  Gaming headsets are often terrible.

I wish there were more headphone stores or ways to rent equipment.  Learning about Hi-Fi while removed from a lot of the meeting hubs is expensive.

#audiophool

Can confirm all of this.

Will add, a pair of CIEMs will change your life, too. The level of sound, detail and feel that comes out shouldn't.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3596 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 12:30:39 »
Beyerdynamic should be releasing the DT1770 pretty soon, I think it's gonna be replacing the DT770 closed-back can. Not gonna be cheap but I've heard that treble has been toned down a tad, with improved bass and, oh yeah, it'd be using Tesla 2.0 drivers. I personally think it look badass and can't wait for reviews. Been waiting for a good closed-back can to add to my collection, was considering the Shure 1540, but glad I'd waited......this is one can I'm so looking forward to.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying the Gustard H10, it brought out the performance of my Alpha Dog and HE500, especially the HE500. I'd actually considered selling the HE500 since I prefer the HE400i over it (using the Lyr + iFi iDSD Nano stack). The Gustard H10 amp and X12 DAC really made the HE500 sing.....better resolve, nice bass in quantity and quality, sick clarity and transparency. The H10 has very, very nice synergy with the HE500......never thought an amp would change my opinion of a can, but the H10 has made my HE500 the go to can in my collection. Next to it, the HE400i pales in comparison, losing to the HE500 in just about everything other than bass.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2015, 12:32:17 by PadawanGeek »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3597 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 14:00:04 »
Re: AKG K702's

Would you guys also say that the treble is a bit more... "farther back" than the other frequencies? Whereas the HD-650 seems more upfront? The treble on my pair of K702 just seems "cheap" to me, almost like something from a crappy pair of $15 headphones, to be quite honest, and I'm actually starting to wonder if I have a defective unit.

Edit: I will say, though, that it might just be in my head, regarding the "cheap" feeling of the treble. I gave it a day to sleep on it, and I actually now kind of miss the sound of the K702, but I'll have to do some more testing later. Nonetheless, is the treble a little more "farther back" than the HD-650? Because I still want to discern whether my unit is defective or not. I swear, the first time I heard it, I thought the unit was defective...
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2015, 15:35:31 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3598 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:28:50 »
I'd collected my Neutrik sockets + Morgami custom balanced XLR cables for my Gustard H10 + X12 stack.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #3599 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:53:26 »
Hey guys could you give me some tips regarding on-ear headphones for around 50 Euros (should be around 56$)?
They should be neutral and fairly comfortable to wear. The Superlux 681 from thomann (if they're known; I know they are over-ears) are quite tight and start hurting after a short time.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!