Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316207 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3600 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:53:45 »
I'd collected my Neutrik sockets + Morgami custom balanced XLR cables for my Gustard H10 + X12 stack.
Show Image

Post count +1 I guess.  What has this done for your setup?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3601 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 13:18:06 »
I'd collected my Neutrik sockets + Morgami custom balanced XLR cables for my Gustard H10 + X12 stack.
Show Image

Nothing, I'd gotten them to replace the 1m pair I had simply because I didn't like how the cables hung down due to the length. I don't have golden ears, so I doubt I can hear any difference between the short custom pair and the vanilla 1m pair. :-[

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3602 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 13:19:46 »
Show Image

Nothing, I'd gotten them to replace the 1m pair I had simply because I didn't like how the cables hung down due to the length. I don't have golden ears, so I doubt I can hear any difference between the short custom pair and the vanilla 1m pair. :-[

I doubt anyone could considering people have used hanger wire for interconnect without incident.  Cable management is neat though!  Love it when I can get my mess under control.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3603 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 13:26:17 »
I doubt anyone could considering people have used hanger wire for interconnect without incident.  Cable management is neat though!  Love it when I can get my mess under control.
Yep, it was more about aesthetics and cable management than sonic improvement. I'm shallow that wwy....

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3604 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 13:37:47 »
Changing cables for cable management is fine.

The original LCD2 cables were like metal bars and I changed them to the q Cable which is a lot more flexible and comfortable to use.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3605 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 15:48:51 »
Yeah.. nothing wrong with buying different cables because you want to keep things tidy!  +1

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3606 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 15:52:10 »

The original LCD2 cables were like metal bars and I changed them to the q Cable which is a lot more flexible and comfortable to use.

+1

Yeah.. nothing wrong with buying different cables because you want to keep things tidy!  +1

+2, did it with my modi/vali when I had the stack.  Looked beautiful and cables were neat.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3607 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:47:02 »
I was enjoying the (barely) recessed midrange of the th600s for a bit, but then decided to play around with the EQ on my e17... Am enjoying what I've got so far. Not perfectly flat but I think it sounds good. Really versatile cans I'd say, I'm sure demik would disapprove of how my th600s sound compared to his. 

In other news I wish I felt the need to drop money in a new amp/dac set up.
I love Elzy

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3608 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:50:00 »
I was enjoying the (barely) recessed midrange of the th600s for a bit, but then decided to play around with the EQ on my e17... Am enjoying what I've got so far. Not perfectly flat but I think it sounds good. Really versatile cans I'd say, I'm sure demik would disapprove of how my th600s sound compared to his. 

The only thing you're missing is a pair of TH900 =P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3609 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:51:23 »

The only thing you're missing is a pair of TH900 =P

yeaaaaah I wish. I think I'd choose something else over th900 at that price point though :D

next step is actually some custom Nobles ;).
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3610 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 03:43:56 »

+1

+2, did it with my modi/vali when I had the stack.  Looked beautiful and cables were neat.
I showed the pic to the guy who did the cables, I told him about having to twist the cables somewhat in order to align the pins to slot into the amp/dac stack. He asked for me to hand him the cables (which I had) so that he can adjust/redo the cable connectors internally so that they align without twisting. Now that's pride in one's work!

Offline mylove1431

• A little bear
« Reply #3611 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 03:49:16 »
Yep, it was more about aesthetics and cable management than sonic improvement. I'm shallow that wwy....
Show Image

:thumb:
Just A little Bear

Offline Bomble

« Reply #3612 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 03:53:23 »
I just have a pair of ATH-M50x with a Zalman ZM-1 clipped on to the cable. Works fine for me, but I'd like to upgrade at some point in the not too distant future.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3613 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:00:36 »
My XLR cables are back, and yes, the cable guy redid it in such a way that there's hardly any twisting required to align the plugs to the sockets. He did a very nice job! :thumb:

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3614 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:32:05 »
My XLR cables are back, and yes, the cable guy redid it in such a way that there's hardly any twisting required to align the plugs to the sockets. He did a very nice job! :thumb:
Show Image

legit customer service there!

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3615 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:21:26 »
legit customer service there!
Yep! :thumb: I was one of his first customers when he decided to do headphone cable mods, and have even recommended him to others. His work isn't exactly cheap, but he's very professional about it.

I just found out that I'd be coming into a bit of a windfall (easily five figure) so I'm now toying with the idea of getting an AK Angie UF, it's not gonna be cheap but been compared well against its bigger sibling (Layla). Alos liked that it's smaller than the JHA Roxanne UF that I'd been looking at previously. Still like the idea of having a good BA IEM to complement the IE800. Also intend to seriously look at the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro when it's released next month.....

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3616 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:38:09 »
bro can i get some recommendation for good bass headphones under 100 dollar  :p

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #3617 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 10:16:25 »
What do you mean by good bass?
Do you mean prominent bass?
Or tight bass?
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3618 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 16:15:34 »
Well... after the questions I had about the K702 (whether it was defective or not), I started to actually really, REALLY like the headphones. I just loved its treble sound - how airy and spacious it felt, and the energy it gave to songs. I speak in the past tense, because I returned it - not because I didn't like it, but because now I want a pair of K712's instead. :p

I definitely liked it more than the HD-650 that I have now, that's for sure. Technically speaking, the HD-650 is the better headphone, but I just liked the K702 more from a subjective point of view. It was just a fun (but not in the sense of, coloring music to hell, like Grados) headphone to listen to. If anyone is looking for a headphone in the $250-300 range, I would definitely recommend the K702.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3619 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 16:34:19 »
Well... after the questions I had about the K702 (whether it was defective or not), I started to actually really, REALLY like the headphones. I just loved its treble sound - how airy and spacious it felt, and the energy it gave to songs. I speak in the past tense, because I returned it - not because I didn't like it, but because now I want a pair of K712's instead. :p

I definitely liked it more than the HD-650 that I have now, that's for sure. Technically speaking, the HD-650 is the better headphone, but I just liked the K702 more from a subjective point of view. It was just a fun (but not in the sense of, coloring music to hell, like Grados) headphone to listen to. If anyone is looking for a headphone in the $250-300 range, I would definitely recommend the K702.

You should try out Philips Fidelio x2s if you get a chance!  Very impressive headphone for that price range

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3620 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 18:20:43 »

You should try out Philips Fidelio x2s if you get a chance!  Very impressive headphone for that price range

For that price range, for me, that's the headphone to get. 

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3621 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 18:26:01 »
+1 Fidelio X2

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3622 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:26:37 »
Did anyone else follow the schitt show? I know that my WA7 is more than plenty but I really want a Gungnir and Mjolnir now..

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3623 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:30:50 »
Didn't follow it.. heard mention of it on head-fi then forgot about it.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll remember to read about it ;)

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3624 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:42:54 »
I was at the Schiit show. :cool: But I'm way too noob to really tell the difference between amps/DAC's, so I can't really give you much of an impression, sorry. I mostly went to check out the usual high-end headphones that most people would suspect would be there - HD800, Audeze's, etc.

I will say the Ether C that debuted there was pretty amazing, though. It did get a little weird at times with the treble, but otherwise, a fantastic headphone. I would still put the HD800 and the LCD3 above it, but the Ether C nonetheless is fantastic.

As far as the Fidelio X2 goes... what's the sound signature like, on those? Are they cold or warm? Because I personally prefer colder signatures (which is why I loved the K702 so much). And have you guys done direct comparisons between the Fidelio X2 and the K701/2?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:48:05 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3625 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 00:13:23 »
Did anyone else follow the schitt show? I know that my WA7 is more than plenty but I really want a Gungnir and Mjolnir now..

Did you change the tubes in the WA7?

I really hated it stock =S

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3626 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 00:41:11 »

Did you change the tubes in the WA7?

I really hated it stock =S

Naw I am still on the stock tubes. I haven't tried any other tubes so I have no point of reference. I am going to just change them out to the upgraded tubes once these original ones burn out.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3627 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 01:00:09 »
I was at the Schiit show. :cool: But I'm way too noob to really tell the difference between amps/DAC's, so I can't really give you much of an impression, sorry. I mostly went to check out the usual high-end headphones that most people would suspect would be there - HD800, Audeze's, etc.

I will say the Ether C that debuted there was pretty amazing, though. It did get a little weird at times with the treble, but otherwise, a fantastic headphone. I would still put the HD800 and the LCD3 above it, but the Ether C nonetheless is fantastic.

As far as the Fidelio X2 goes... what's the sound signature like, on those? Are they cold or warm? Because I personally prefer colder signatures (which is why I loved the K702 so much). And have you guys done direct comparisons between the Fidelio X2 and the K701/2?

It is significantly warmer than either the k headphones or the hd stuff.  Which is why I like it more.  I'm lightly intrigued with the C, except the price.  Hopefully the pm-3 are as good as lauded.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3628 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 02:05:23 »
Or tight bass?
Whats the different on both bass? i dont know i just want another headphone for some trap cuz i got sr80e and the bass is not so good :)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3629 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 06:25:11 »

With the sale of my Duck Vipers and the Surface Pro 4 coming out in October I may be able to squeeze in a TH900 purchase =S

Or tight bass?
Whats the different on both bass? i dont know i just want another headphone for some trap cuz i got sr80e and the bass is not so good :)

Audiophiles prefer quality bass.

quality bass is tight.

Consumers prefer emphasized bass

Emphasized bass is normally loose and runny.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 06:29:42 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3630 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 10:21:56 »
Picked up my latest can, a relatively budget one for my portable listening pleasure (I don't wanna use my IE800 all the time). The DT1350 sound pretty neutral to me, veery polite treble and somewhat polite mids as well, nothing jumps out at you......just an initial impression.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:36:28 by PadawanGeek »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3631 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 10:50:34 »

With the sale of my Duck Vipers and the Surface Pro 4 coming out in October I may be able to squeeze in a TH900 purchase =S

Or tight bass?

quality bass is tight.

OK BRO get me the quality bass for under 100 dollar  :p

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3632 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 10:53:44 »

Or tight bass?

quality bass is tight.

If he's saying he doesn't like the SR-80E, he's probably not liking the "flabby" and "not-at-all deep" bass of the headphones, which I think characterizes most Grado's. Lots of bass in terms of volume, but doesn't go very deep, and isn't very tight.

That said, I don't know the $100 range of headphones very well. Maybe some of the V-Modas? The Beats Solo 2 can also be had for around $140 on Amazon - I know the Beats by Dre line gets a lot of flack, but the Beats Solo 2 specifically did get good reviews, by even audiophiles like Tyll. And it should definitely do the trick in terms of the bass department.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:00:49 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3633 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:05:43 »

Or tight bass?

quality bass is tight.

That's easy.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3634 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:28:28 »

Or tight bass?

quality bass is tight.

That's easy.

O.o

Never heard of those before. What are they like?

My audiophile friend (24bits) took a liking to the Sony XB950bt which should be more bass heavy with good quality.

I still dislike the sound of beats and vmoda

Obviously preference to the buyer trumps my personal opinions so get what sounds better to your ears.

Offline Mooksie

« Reply #3635 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 13:53:20 »
Not really an audiophile myself but I did get my first decent set of headphones a few months ago. Sound about as good as my friends M50's(with my untrained ears.)

Philips SHP9500 by Noah Blalock, on Flickr
we use up all the cupholders during our furious love making sessions

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3636 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 13:58:11 »

Or tight bass?

quality bass is tight.

That's easy.

O.o

My audiophile friend (24bits) took a liking to the Sony XB950bt which should be more bass heavy with good quality.

Obviously preference to the buyer trumps my personal opinions so get what sounds better to your ears.

These are rebranded Fischer FA-003s.  I'm pretty sure you've heard the FA-003s before, right?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3637 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:20:47 »

Or tight bass?

quality bass is tight.

That's easy.

O.o

These are rebranded Fischer FA-003s.  I'm pretty sure you've heard the FA-003s before, right?

Never heard the 003s myself. I don't remember ever seeing it carried by any stores locally or online in Canada. Maybe a rebrand was around online in Canada. The only Fischer product I've tried was the 012

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3638 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:37:12 »
Never heard the 003s myself. I don't remember ever seeing it carried by any stores locally or online in Canada. Maybe a rebrand was around online in Canada. The only Fischer product I've tried was the 012

Ahhh, these are wonderful all-rounders.  At least grade B across the entire spectrum with A- sound quality in most areas A level lower mids easy.  I had a tough time liking well modded T50RPs over this  headphone, and it ended up being the planar sound which won me over in the end.  Very hard to overload the drivers (they can get very loud), and they are sensitive enough for portable devices. They're well built and the closed design was designed to accommodate the drivers.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3639 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:41:11 »

Ahhh, these are wonderful all-rounders.  At least grade B across the entire spectrum with A- sound quality in most areas A level lower mids easy.  I had a tough time liking well modded T50RPs over this  headphone, and it ended up being the planar sound which won me over in the end.  Very hard to overload the drivers (they can get very loud), and they are sensitive enough for portable devices. They're well built and the closed design was designed to accommodate the drivers.

You guys are killing me. I know I want the TH900 but all this talk of the X2 and now the 003 makes me want to pick those up too.

Maybe I should invest in a new camera first, sell the old camera then buy more headphones  >:D

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3640 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 18:25:57 »
Not to mention all the keyboard stuff going on..  :))

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3641 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 19:22:02 »

I had to sell off my MX boards. The only MX I have now is my Mobik. The rest is Topre which is not something I can really buy extra stuff for.

Probably going to sell off all my MX stuff besides the Mobik, one keyset and my artisans.

(Basically just a few keysets to sell now)

Otherwise it would never end with all the keyboards =[ I realized that when I had two Vipers sitting on my desk.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3642 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 19:55:54 »

I had to sell off my MX boards. The only MX I have now is my Mobik. The rest is Topre which is not something I can really buy extra stuff for.

Probably going to sell off all my MX stuff besides the Mobik, one keyset and my artisans.

(Basically just a few keysets to sell now)

Otherwise it would never end with all the keyboards =[ I realized that when I had two Vipers sitting on my desk.

I've just got the single CM Storm QFR keyboard.. eventually want to have a custom TKL built, but not sure when that will be able to happen

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3643 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 23:20:23 »

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #3644 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 00:22:18 »
108983-0

This is my Sony xb950bt. I'm not an audiophile. I like chest thumping music though. It heals my broken heart.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3645 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 00:27:48 »
(Attachment Link)

This is my Sony xb950bt. I'm not an audiophile. I like chest thumping music though. It heals my broken heart.

24bits seems to like it a lot

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3646 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 01:26:25 »
I enjoyed mine for what they were, but even in sony's own line up, there're better things.  Like the 1a.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3647 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 02:13:58 »
I enjoyed mine for what they were, but even in sony's own line up, there're better things.  Like the 1a.
Isn't the 950 a lot cheaper though?

I did think the 1R was quite good when it first came out

Still hoping Sony will come in with a magical pair that makes me want to dish out top dollar. I think they have the capacity to make really great products but unfortunately it's very hit and miss (referring of course to the Z7)

The lower end Sony headphones just aren't my preference but a lot of them are at least good for their price

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3648 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:35:46 »
Show Image

Not a CIEM guy, what the heck is that? Damn nice looking faceplate design  :thumb: (or whatever it's called :confused:).

I'm now toying with the idea of getting the Ether since it's been described as a planr equivalent of the HD800.....but with a little more bass. But damn, 1.5k USD is cause for pause.....will have to mull over this though.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3649 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 11:25:24 »
Show Image

Not a CIEM guy, what the heck is that? Damn nice looking faceplate design  :thumb: (or whatever it's called :confused:).

I'm now toying with the idea of getting the Ether since it's been described as a planr equivalent of the HD800.....but with a little more bass. But damn, 1.5k USD is cause for pause.....will have to mull over this though.

Those are my Wizard Noble K10s.