Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316221 times)

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3650 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 11:47:32 »

Those are my Wizard Noble K10s.
K10!!! Heard great things about the K10, came across it when I had it in my mind to get a high end CIEM/UF. Had been toying with the idea of getting an Angie, but I find the Ether more.....gravitating. ;)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3651 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 11:52:25 »

Those are my Wizard Noble K10s.
K10!!! Heard great things about the K10, came across it when I had it in my mind to get a high end CIEM/UF. Had been toying with the idea of getting an Angie, but I find the Ether more.....gravitating. ;)

Get the ether and send them to me for a week so I can let you know if you made the right choice or not ;P

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3652 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 12:36:49 »
I enjoyed mine for what they were, but even in sony's own line up, there're better things.  Like the 1a.
Isn't the 950 a lot cheaper though?

I did think the 1R was quite good when it first came out

Still hoping Sony will come in with a magical pair that makes me want to dish out top dollar. I think they have the capacity to make really great products but unfortunately it's very hit and miss (referring of course to the Z7)

The lower end Sony headphones just aren't my preference but a lot of them are at least good for their price

I like the 1a more than the z7 even, but it's like $50 - 100 difference for the price between 950 and 1a.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #3653 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 12:41:10 »
I enjoyed mine for what they were, but even in sony's own line up, there're better things.  Like the 1a.
I really enjoy the freedom of BT. It sounds really good. That said, there are headphones with better audio quality. The 950bt is a really interesting pair headphones.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #3654 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 12:42:07 »

Still hoping Sony will come in with a magical pair that makes me want to dish out top dollar. I think they have the capacity to make really great products but unfortunately it's very hit and miss (referring of course to the Z7)

The lower end Sony headphones just aren't my preference but a lot of them are at least good for their price
Ya I got it for 99$ last winter. Can't complain!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3655 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 13:44:01 »
Anyone else following Massdrop on headfi? They are coming out with a new CIEM. $599 starting point with 6 drivers.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3656 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 14:50:14 »

I like the 1a more than the z7 even, but it's like $50 - 100 difference for the price between 950 and 1a.

I don't feel Sony did a good job with the Z7. Definitely not worth the price tag and I prefer a lot of lower end headphones over them.

I almost bought them from the hype when it came out, glad I didn't.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3657 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 15:24:03 »

I don't feel Sony did a good job with the Z7. Definitely not worth the price tag and I prefer a lot of lower end headphones over them.

I almost bought them from the hype when it came out, glad I didn't.

No dispute from me there.  I was just keeping it in sony's line.  I can rattle off a significant list that I think did better tbh.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3658 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 06:19:11 »

I like everyone else's K10 design more =[

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3659 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 21:28:20 »
Show Image

Those look great !

Looking forward to a listening session tonight.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3660 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 21:44:08 »
Show Image

Those look great !

You should make a slofi with CIEMs instead of headphones ;P

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3661 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 21:52:24 »
Show Image

Those look great !

You should make a slofi with CIEMs instead of headphones ;P
That will happen when I finally master my art.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3662 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 09:10:31 »
Man, I'm overthinking things......I'm leaning towards the Ether, but damn, I see a few 'Like new and under warranty' HD800 (or two) for sale at about 860USD. The Ether has been described as analytical and clinical sounding like the HD800 but with a better bass thump, but loses to the HD800's soundstage. Pretty confused, gonna have to sleep on this for the next few nights and see if I can decide (and guys, no 'great' suggestion like, "Hey, why not get both?!") I traded my HD800 for the Grado PS1k, I honestly don't mind getting it again, though the Ether is so much sexier.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3663 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 10:02:16 »
Man, I'm overthinking things......I'm leaning towards the Ether, but damn, I see a few 'Like new and under warranty' HD800 (or two) for sale at about 860USD. The Ether has been described as analytical and clinical sounding like the HD800 but with a better bass thump, but loses to the HD800's soundstage. Pretty confused, gonna have to sleep on this for the next few nights and see if I can decide (and guys, no 'great' suggestion like, "Hey, why not get both?!") I traded my HD800 for the Grado PS1k, I honestly don't mind getting it again, though the Ether is so much sexier.

The obvious answer is to buy both so you can do a comparison for us!

Otherwise get the ether because it's new. If you get the HD800 you'll always wonder if the ether would have been a better choice

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3664 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 17:52:52 »
Tried the HE560 today (finally)

Unfortunately I only had my ak240 ("only")

Sound definitely suggests that it would need some more juice but overall very good. I would definitely recommend it for the market price of a used one provided you have an amp.

Sound was a bit grainy in the mid-highs and lacking resolution in the highs. I feel the grain was likely a result of the low output power since the bass seemed to be a bit forced (not effortless as I feel it should sound)

And tried the new grado 325e... Eh

Not sure I like what they did with it. The 325i was aggressive and interesting. The 325e sounds more plain and neutral with the still ridiculously uncomfortable pads.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3665 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 18:42:32 »

Hmm... obviously the Ether and Ether C are two different things, but I tried out the Ether C at the Schiit show, and while it was indeed impressive, I just thought the HD-800 overall was a better headphone. The Ether C definitely had that forward, more "fun" sound signature, compared to the HD-800, but there were times when the treble got kind of wonky. It was as if the headphones couldn't handle delivering the treble properly, so it would just kind of "splurt" it out.

Someone else who was at the Schiit show apparently experienced something similar with the Ether C: http://www.head-fi.org/t/777730/schiitshow-2015-impressions/105#post_11840524

The guy says he thought some of the piano parts got kind of peaky, with some of the Ether C setups.

Now, of course, both the Ether C and Ether are two different headphones, and it seems most people (including the guy who wrote the impressions above) actually do prefer the regular Ether to the Ether C, but... I don't know. For me personally, after comparing the Ether C and the HD-800, and hearing the issues with the Ether C, I would have no problem just picking up the HD-800 without even auditioning the open-back Ether. I know that sounds kind of jerkish, but then again... you are kind of betting your hard earned money (800+ of it), especially when you haven't auditioned one of the headphones at all. And I would bet my money with a more established/reputable manufacturer.

But, of course... that's just me, personally. You say you are leaning towards the Ether, so just go with the Ether and try it out! It doesn't hurt to know for sure which one you prefer.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2015, 19:15:42 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3666 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 21:14:43 »
@ GLITCH3D and fuzzybaffy, will take you guys' oppsing views under advisement......basically, the HD800 is old faithful (you KNOW it's great and will serve you well) while the Ether is the gal with the come hither looks (and you may be in for an adventure).

I have a chance to grab a Grado 325is for 180'ish USD, only reason why I ain't jumping on it is I have both the GS1k and PS1k. Still, at that price, the 325is is pretty tempting.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3667 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 21:47:01 »
@ GLITCH3D and fuzzybaffy, will take you guys' oppsing views under advisement......basically, the HD800 is old faithful (you KNOW it's great and will serve you well) while the Ether is the gal with the come hither looks (and you may be in for an adventure).

I have a chance to grab a Grado 325is for 180'ish USD, only reason why I ain't jumping on it is I have both the GS1k and PS1k. Still, at that price, the 325is is pretty tempting.

I've actually seen 325is for cheaper.

The grado line doesn't agree with my ears so I just steer clear. I find it good for rock but I don't listen to enough to warrant a grado purchase. Though, I still enjoyed the grados more than beyers.

And yea, that's basically a good summary. The ether is the random affair and the HD800 is the wife you know.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3668 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 08:13:28 »
I think I've got it down to the HD800 and.....surprise, surprise, a Fitear Parterre. The Ether can wait till next month, unless I cannot strike a deal with the HD800 seller, then it'd be the Ether and the Fitear Parterre.

Edit - The Fitear Parterre has been reserved for me, will collect it sometime next week.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 08:52:38 by PadawanGeek »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3669 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 00:34:21 »
If this is true I'm going to cry tears of joy.

I'm finalizing a purchase of Stax SR007 with the 70xxx serial number line (considered the best depending on preferences though) with SRM007-2 amplifier for $1675 USD shipped.

All working condition and no imbalance

Of course I can't verify that last bit until I get them but he's sent me pictures of the headphones and amp and they look very good.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 00:35:59 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3670 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 00:55:26 »

I'm finalizing a purchase of Stax SR007 with the 70xxx serial number line (considered the best depending on preferences though) with SRM007-2 amplifier for $1675 USD shipped.

Of course I can't verify that last bit until I get them but he's sent me pictures of the headphones and amp and they look very good.
You sir...win.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3671 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 00:57:34 »

You sir...win.

Just waiting on his paypal address to send the money to.

Meanwhile there's terrible news on the Noble K10 front. Sunny messaged me saying that they're going to have to be rebuilt which I assume either means money or long wait times which is getting silly...

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3672 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 04:05:51 »

A bit early, but 'grats on the most excellent purchase! :thumb: Looking forward to your impressions, somewhat curious about estat  but more focused on dynamic and planar mag drivers.

Funny thing happened, when the guy I'd swapped my HD800 (he was the original owner) for the Grado PS1000 heard that I was putting up my LCD2.2 for sale, he asked that I swap my LCD2.2 for the HD800 with a little cash top-up on my side, I don't mind as it'd save me a wad of cash should I get another HD800. So now, I'll have the Fitear Parterre and HD800 incoming next week, with the spare cash, I'm looking at an OPPO HA-1 for my other rig.......

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3673 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 11:52:32 »

A bit early, but 'grats on the most excellent purchase! :thumb: Looking forward to your impressions, somewhat curious about estat  but more focused on dynamic and planar mag drivers.

Funny thing happened, when the guy I'd swapped my HD800 (he was the original owner) for the Grado PS1000 heard that I was putting up my LCD2.2 for sale, he asked that I swap my LCD2.2 for the HD800 with a little cash top-up on my side, I don't mind as it'd save me a wad of cash should I get another HD800. So now, I'll have the Fitear Parterre and HD800 incoming next week, with the spare cash, I'm looking at an OPPO HA-1 for my other rig.......

apparently he sold it to someone else after I already asked for his paypal =/

And noble wants $250 + new molds to fix my K10s apparently. I've had these for less than 2 months in my possession...

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3674 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:03:00 »

And noble wants $250 + new molds to fix my K10s apparently. I've had these for less than 2 months in my possession...

Holy crap... CIEMs are so expensive.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3675 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:23:51 »

Yup... I've totaled it and I'm $1900 invested in these k10s including shipping charges. I've put maybe 50 hours on them and they want another $250 + earmolds ($50) + shipping which would put me at around $2250.

At this point I'd rather them just convert them to universals if that's even possible =\

Or refund me my reshelling and art costs and I can sell them to someone else to deal with.

Worst part is they already asked for a second set of molds about 5-6 months ago so this would make my third set.

The sound is good but the hassle of doing all these adjustments and such makes me never want to buy CIEMs again... (And this is exactly what I was worried about originally with CIEMs)
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:26:10 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3676 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:26:20 »

Yup... I've totaled it and I'm $1900 invested in these k10s including shipping charges. I've put maybe 50 hours on them and they want another $250 + earmolds ($50) + shipping which would put me at around $2250.

At this point I'd rather them just convert them to universals if that's even possible =\

Or refund me my travelling and art costs and I can sell them to someone else to deal with.

I just don't feel like it's justified when you've already put so much money into them.  I would ask if they could make an adjustment for you.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3677 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:56:33 »

Or refund me my travelling and art costs and I can sell them to someone else to deal with.

I just don't feel like it's justified when you've already put so much money into them.  I would ask if they could make an adjustment for you.

That's the thing, they disposed of my last set of molds already, a crack appeared and connectors are loose among some other problems. The left side is kind of screwed while the right side would probably be fine with an adjustment which they feel is becoming a waste because it's basically going blind now without a set of molds to check fit. If they grind too much or in the wrong places I could still have the issue and have to spend yet another $65 just for another adjustment on that side.

Ugh. Should have gotten the universals. I could be swimming in eartips with the extra money I've spent on this

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3678 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 13:00:53 »

That sucks so bad it fell through :(

Anyone else following Massdrop on headfi? They are coming out with a new CIEM. $599 starting point with 6 drivers.

Huh that's really interesting. I should go try and find that thread.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3679 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 13:04:17 »

That's the thing, they disposed of my last set of molds already, a crack appeared and connectors are loose among some other problems. The left side is kind of screwed while the right side would probably be fine with an adjustment which they feel is becoming a waste because it's basically going blind now without a set of molds to check fit. If they grind too much or in the wrong places I could still have the issue and have to spend yet another $65 just for another adjustment on that side.

Ugh. Should have gotten the universals. I could be swimming in eartips with the extra money I've spent on this

This makes me glad I got the universals, but also sad as something similar may happen to me in the distant future :(

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3680 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 17:03:35 »
@ GL1TCH3D - Aw man, that sucked,  a double whammy.....the Stax purchase fell thru and the K10 issue. It never rains but it pours, eh? I feel for you dude, just hang in there.

I've always been leery of CIEM's and that's one reason why I'm always about Universal Fit and no custom jobs. Even when I was looking at the Roxanne and Angie, they were the UF models. This Fitear Parterre just fell into my lap, heard good things about Fitear, and this UF IEM was just what ai was looking for, it looks to be a solid construction and apparently sounds pretty good.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3681 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 17:12:55 »
@ GL1TCH3D - Aw man, that sucked,  a double whammy.....the Stax purchase fell thru and the K10 issue. It never rains but it pours, eh? I feel for you dude, just hang in there.

I've always been leery of CIEM's and that's one reason why I'm always about Universal Fit and no custom jobs. Even when I was looking at the Roxanne and Angie, they were the UF models. This Fitear Parterre just fell into my lap, heard good things about Fitear, and this UF IEM was just what ai was looking for, it looks to be a solid construction and apparently sounds pretty good.

Universals just don't compare to the fit when it does work.  Like you said this is just a run of extra bad mojo. :(

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #3682 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 18:08:01 »
I don't understand why the manufacturer is putting the customer on the hook for the fix? Aren't those still under warranty?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3683 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 18:33:45 »
I don't understand why the manufacturer is putting the customer on the hook for the fix? Aren't those still under warranty?

They fell off the cable and cracked due to their loose connector and lack of locking mechanism.

Not sure why I'm on the hook which is why I'm really pissed off at Noble right now. I assume Sunny (the lab worker in China who deals with customers regarding adjustments) is simply quoting policy at me so I'll have to wait until brannan comes around to discuss with him (since Sunny has stopped replying)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3684 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 00:16:50 »
Universals just don't compare to the fit when it does work.  Like you said this is just a run of extra bad mojo. :(
Oh, I understand that, but it's the dealing with the reshelling, re-tuning, ear impression and patience (not exactly one of my strong suits). That's why I gravitate towards UF's, one needs only find the ear tips that suits one's ears, and you're good to go. I've been reading on the Parterre, seems it's great for Jazz, orchestral and perhaps chamber music, I'm hoping it'd also shine in New Age type music like Enya.....my IE800 can handle the remaining genres of music like rock and pop.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3685 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 09:26:08 »
Brannan got back to me and said they'd waive all repair costs but I'll still need a new set of impressions.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3686 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 10:14:56 »
Brannan got back to me and said they'd waive all repair costs but I'll still need a new set of impressions.

* Binge thumbs up.

Great great great guys at Noble.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3687 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 10:29:40 »

* Binge thumbs up.

Great great great guys at Noble.

I feel like this was mainly just a case of Sunny quoting policy =(

Still annoying that I need new impressions.

I'm asking brannan for noble authorized audiologists now.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3688 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 13:45:09 »
I'll send in my impressions for you and you can have my th900s.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3689 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 14:39:36 »
I'll send in my impressions for you and you can have my th900s.

That's cruel

And I already spent $1800 on these, the loss of trading it for the TH900 would be worth a TH900 in itself =[

Though I do have a friend considering selling his k10s. I'll ask him if he would trade his k10s for the th900 and I'll just buy the TH900s in the end (assuming I don't spend all my money on the new camera)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3690 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 18:40:24 »
I feel like such a retard sitting here in a large room full of nerds with my dt990s on just dancing around in my chair listening to music.

This is a lot of fun though. I may be slightly drunk though.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3691 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 23:47:15 »
I feel like such a retard sitting here in a large room full of nerds with my dt990s on just dancing around in my chair listening to music.

Don't.  I would kill for a pair of DT770s, DT880s, or DT990s and a nice amp.  Once my student loans are paid off I may actually have the money for a pair.  For now, I'll be happy with my ATH-AD700 and Koss PRODJ100.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3692 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 08:32:18 »

Don't.  I would kill for a pair of DT770s, DT880s, or DT990s and a nice amp.  Once my student loans are paid off I may actually have the money for a pair.  For now, I'll be happy with my ATH-AD700 and Koss PRODJ100.

Right?  And we've got a 6 year old here..   rip money

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3693 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 10:16:42 »
Collected some new stuff today, think I'm running out of excuses to get new stuff.....these could be my penultimate purchases (I still have either an Ether/Ether C or a HE1000 to get before I call it quits). Anyway, potato pics to follow....

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3694 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:21:46 »
How do those even fit in your ears, they look massive >_0

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3695 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:36:21 »
How do those even fit in your ears, they look massive >_0

You should see the roxannes

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3696 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 16:04:40 »

I'm glad I decided to jump for the $100 for them, and the cable mod is great. I just need to save about another 260GBP for the schiit stack. But my little baby DAC is doing well so far.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3697 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 16:42:56 »

I'm glad I decided to jump for the $100 for them, and the cable mod is great. I just need to save about another 260GBP for the schiit stack. But my little baby DAC is doing well so far.
260GBP??? Customs and shipping is that bad?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3698 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 17:17:25 »

Well, it is, but that's not why they are that expensive. The official reseller in the UK sells them for like 130 each for a Modi 2 Uber and Vali, and if I weight up the exchange rate, it is probably the cheapest that way...

Or is it... I'm not sure now...

Edit: it's 192 GBP if my calculations of VAT and stuff is correct, although it's 220GBP if I include shipping.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 17:20:43 by katushkin »

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3699 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 17:20:58 »

Well, it is, but that's not why they are that expensive. The official reseller in the UK sells them for like 130 each for a Modi 2 Uber and Vali, and if I weight up the exchange rate, it is probably the cheapest that way...

Or is it... I'm not sure now...
Uber stack is 300USD before shipping... So 195£. Yea after shipping and customs 260£ makes sense...

Americans are so spoiled.