Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316203 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #3800 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 17:36:13 »
customizable CIEMs are neat in a way, but I realized I spent too much on making mine look badass.

never look at them while listening to music, and they're usually in their case so I don't look at them there either.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3801 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 18:02:13 »
customizable CIEMs are neat in a way, but I realized I spent too much on making mine look badass.

Show Image

never look at them while listening to music, and they're usually in their case so I don't look at them there either.

I know exactly how you feel hehe

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3802 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 17:07:26 »
Massdrop O2+ODAC or Schiit M2/M2 guize they're like the same price for me
I love Elzy

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3803 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:34:05 »

Get an O2/ODAC from from somewhere else. You don't want to wait til the 30th of November for it to be shipped.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #3804 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 22:52:59 »

you don't need either :P

if you're going to splurge on a DAC/amp combo, at least go O2-ODAC with all the bells and whistles, or the Schiit Uber Stack. That way you can hook speakers up to your amp.

I'm waiting for JDS Labs to add preamps to my O2/ODAC - finally, no more switching back and forth between outputs! The little victories in life... but cost money...  :'(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3805 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 23:01:56 »

m/m2 u

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3806 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 22:52:58 »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3807 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:03:57 »
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10919&cs_id=1091903&p_id=13807&seq=1&format=2

Anyone else curious?

Ooh, havent seen that before.. Very curious! Seems rather cheap for all of that.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3808 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:09:53 »
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10919&cs_id=1091903&p_id=13807&seq=1&format=2

Anyone else curious?

Ooh, havent seen that before.. Very curious! Seems rather cheap for all of that.

Just released. Has a headphone out as well. The amp is sold individually for $150 or with this bundle. I would still highly recommend getting a sub to go with this

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #3809 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 22:47:47 »

Anyone else curious?
Looks soooo beautiful. I wonder how good it sounds for only $200. Monoprice tends to have very good price to performance ratio, even if they can't/don't compete with high end.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3810 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:10:12 »

Anyone else curious?
Looks soooo beautiful. I wonder how good it sounds for only $200. Monoprice tends to have very good price to performance ratio, even if they can't/don't compete with high end.

Exactly. I'm really tempted to get it. Worse case scenario I just have a cheap bookshelf setup for my computer..

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #3811 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:12:09 »
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 OHM driven by Schiit Modi/Vali combo. Took me a long time to decide on them and have been very please with it. I might want to get a set of Sennheiser HD650s in the future but the DT990s have served me very well the past 2 years.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #3812 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:14:01 »
ATH M50x and a Fiio E10K
So unique I know

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3813 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:46:13 »
ATH M50x and a Fiio E10K
So unique I know

all things considered, the m50x has really good subbass, and it digs down really low.

if you like the sound signature, you could see if you can score the unicorn known as the Denon AHD-2000 as a potential upgrade.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #3814 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:51:16 »
ATH M50x and a Fiio E10K
So unique I know

all things considered, the m50x has really subbass, and it digs down really low.

if you like the sound signature, you could see if you can score the unicorn known as the Denon AHD-2000 as a potential upgrade.
Yeah, I was looking to upgrade soon, and I do like the sound of these.
Thanks for the recommendation :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3815 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:57:06 »
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 OHM driven by Schiit Modi/Vali combo. Took me a long time to decide on them and have been very please with it. I might want to get a set of Sennheiser HD650s in the future but the DT990s have served me very well the past 2 years.

Nice! I've got those exact same headphones, and I'm hoping to get a Magni2/Modi2 combo for my new house :) I'm glad you like the setup, promising for me :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3816 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:01:06 »
ATH M50x and a Fiio E10K
So unique I know

all things considered, the m50x has really subbass, and it digs down really low.

Yeah, I was looking to upgrade soon, and I do like the sound of these.
Thanks for the recommendation :thumb:

np. bear in mind that when I said unicorn, I meant they are discontinued :( you'll have to search far and wide to find one in good condition.

just a heads up - if treble bothers you, you may find the denon's a bit tiring; for me, they are fine.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3817 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:06:45 »
ATH M50x and a Fiio E10K
So unique I know

all things considered, the m50x has really good subbass, and it digs down really low.

I wouldn't call the D2000 anything close to the M50x

the M50x tends closer to the colder side and quite neutral.

The D2000 is quite mid-bass centric

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3818 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:14:42 »

i've heard both and i hear it differently; my d2000 is much more  subbass focused than midbass.

in either case i was referring specifically to their bass feel. very subwoofer like.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3819 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:31:51 »

i've heard both and i hear it differently; my d2000 is much more  subbass focused than midbass.

in either case i was referring specifically to their bass feel. very subwoofer like.

Maybe it depends on the player but I noticed it with both the D2000 / D5000

Extension was good in the bass but the bass itself was bloated / loose and the mid bass bump was quite significant

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3820 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 09:42:34 »
Oh man, all this awesome headphone hardware being discussed...

I've only used IEMs for the past few years, even gave away my WooAudio/HD650 setup a while back to a friend. Currently looking at a Fireflies for my desktop since I'm not really looking for another set of full-sized cans in the near future. Probably a couple months away from making a decision.

I sometimes wish I had gone the CIEM route considering what I paid for my first week 846 SEs, but I have zero regrets on how they sound. I'm also one of those people who can wear pretty much any IEM comfortably with just a tip change.

Currently, my Shures are plugged directly into my Surface Pro 4. Which has a surprisingly decent DAC for what it is :) But looking for a new mobile setup that won't break the bank. Thinking of going the JDS route.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3821 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 09:56:05 »

I've only used IEMs for the past few years, even gave away my WooAudio/HD650 setup a while back to a friend. Currently looking at a Fireflies for my desktop since I'm not really looking for another set of full-sized cans in the near future. Probably a couple months away from making a decision.

I sometimes wish I had gone the CIEM route considering what I paid for my first week 846 SEs, but I have zero regrets on how they sound. I'm also one of those people who can wear pretty much any IEM comfortably with just a tip change.

Currently, my Shures are plugged directly into my Surface Pro 4. Which has a surprisingly decent DAC for what it is :) But looking for a new mobile setup that won't break the bank. Thinking of going the JDS route.

Mobile?

I'd go fiio personally.
I enjoyed the X5gen1 and I'm getting the review model of the X7 but that's more expensive.
I absolutely love the AK240 though but I have a feeling that's over your budget.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3822 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:27:36 »

Mobile?

I'd go fiio personally.
I enjoyed the X5gen1 and I'm getting the review model of the X7 but that's more expensive.
I absolutely love the AK240 though but I have a feeling that's over your budget.

Just looking for DAC/Amp combo, not a source, so the 240 is definitely not something I'm looking at. I had looked at it when it came out, but I was looking for sources then. If I was getting a source, I'd likely get the x5; it hits all the features I'd be looking for.

So, since I'm looking at DAC/Amp combos, I've been eyeing JDS, something like the Element. But I'm always open to suggestions :)

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3823 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:31:43 »

Mobile?

I'd go fiio personally.

Just looking for DAC/Amp combo, not a source, so the 240 is definitely not something I'm looking at. I had looked at it when it came out, but I was looking for sources then. If I was getting a source, I'd likely get the x5; it hits all the features I'd be looking for.

So, since I'm looking at DAC/Amp combos, I've been eyeing JDS, something like the Element. But I'm always open to suggestions :)

I like the sources that can function as dac/amp combos. Fiio is very good value and if ever you need a source, bam, it's ready.

I disliked the ODAC. Sounded very sharp and electronic compared to other dacs I've used. Reminds me a lot of decent phone dacs (not the ****ty ones that just muddle everything together).

The O2 was decent and did help in getting more power into my headphones.

However the O2 is quite dependent on the source. It did not pair that well with the CLAS and would sometimes clip because of it. However I haven't heard of others getting that issue so maybe it was isolated to specific pairings.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3824 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:51:43 »
However the O2 is quite dependent on the source. It did not pair that well with the CLAS and would sometimes clip because of it. However I haven't heard of others getting that issue so maybe it was isolated to specific pairings.

Yes, it is due to "pairings", in some sense: the clipping is due to the gain settings of the O2. The "standard" gain is 2.5x/6.5x; 6.5x will clip with any DAC which outputs >1 VRMS.

Most DACs are about 2VRMS output, so a better gain setting is 1x/3.3x gain.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #3825 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 18:43:30 »

Nice! I've got those exact same headphones, and I'm hoping to get a Magni2/Modi2 combo for my new house :) I'm glad you like the setup, promising for me :)

I can't recommend Schiit more. They make great products, are very knowledgeable and helpful if you ever have any questions or issues. I didn't even see that they made a second generation of M/M looks really nice!

Offline sitch

« Reply #3826 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:47:32 »
Owned a pair of old school ultimate ears triple fi with some custom cable *not sure of which brand*, and recently gotten an ath m50x.

Triple fi had serve me well for many years, gym jogging you name it. Treble , bass are very good with this earphone.

ATH m50x, it shows what sound stage really means. It has very wide sound stage yet the treble and bass wasnt compromised. Downside is that it not really that mobile

DAC - Fiio X3. TBH, I don't hear any difference compared to clip zip that I used to own :/

Offline clochette

« Reply #3827 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 05:07:35 »
repost from the media thread

HD700 and UM3x

anyone recommend me a DAC/AMP combo for the HD700? budget of usd150

bottlehead crack is nice but kinda out of my budget

i'm fine with using a PC sound card as well tbh

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #3828 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:36:46 »

HD700 and UM3x
Show Image

If you're looking for a tubey amp try the Little Dot Mk3. If not just he schiitstack can get the job done if needed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:39:07 by KoalaKaiser »

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #3829 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:40:10 »
My little corner of joy. HD 600, WA6 Modi. Not pictured I have a DT770 250ohm, RHA MA750s and a couple of other IEMs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3830 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:04:16 »
Seriously debating this DT-770 or DT-990, but I don't have an amp and I'm not not sure it would be an improvement over my current headphones.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3831 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:24:57 »
Seriously debating this DT-770 or DT-990, but I don't have an amp and I'm not not sure it would be an improvement over my current headphones.

Your preferences will seriously impact whether you'll like them at all. Beyer has been a huge miss for me.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3832 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:27:24 »
I tried a DT-880 once and loved them.

Offline edb5s

« Reply #3833 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:29:14 »
Just got the Tascam TH02s. Have only used them on a flight but I like them so far. I'm thinking of buying an entry level DAC and amp. Any suggestions?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3834 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:36:25 »
I tried a DT-880 once and loved them.

If you liked the 880 there's a good chance you'll like the other ones if you're looking for something more colored with a similar house sound.

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #3835 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:42:26 »

What are your current cans? Also a schiit magni would suffice. Or an O2. Either of those drive cans of all ranges. Keeps the budget nice and low. I have the 770s and love the hell out of them. Makes action movies just that much better and gaming is great. The bass is fantastic and soundstage isn't that bad for a closed back.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3836 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:46:24 »
Koss Pro DJ100 and ATH-AD700.  I'm using an HT Omega Striker, but one of those two aren't too bad price wise.

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #3837 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:52:43 »
Have you checked avexchange over on reddit? I got my 600s and Dt770 together for $310. Both in perfect condition.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3838 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:23:31 »
Koss Pro DJ100 and ATH-AD700.  I'm using an HT Omega Striker, but one of those two aren't too bad price wise.

New headphones will definitely make the biggest change but I only see it as more of a side step than direct upgrade.

What are you looking to get from the headphones

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #3839 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 17:35:22 »
Just got the Tascam TH02s. Have only used them on a flight but I like them so far. I'm thinking of buying an entry level DAC and amp. Any suggestions?
I got a Fiio E10K a couple of weeks ago and it seriously improved the sound over the on-board soundcard on my cheap 5+ year old motherboard.
Bass and treble at high volumes is no longer distorted, my headphones can now get really loud, and the bass has improved significantly.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline edb5s

« Reply #3840 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:04:34 »
I got a Fiio E10K a couple of weeks ago and it seriously improved the sound over the on-board soundcard on my cheap 5+ year old motherboard.
Bass and treble at high volumes is no longer distorted, my headphones can now get really loud, and the bass has improved significantly.
Cool thanks for the input. I'll look into that one.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3841 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:07:09 »

this is pretty much how I felt getting my first real dac / amp combo.

Volume was never an issue for me since I don't listen to my music that loud but it's still something for me to consider.

Offline pyrolovesmoney

« Reply #3842 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:09:06 »
The best value headphone ever made, which I use daily is the JVC gumy plus 2. Best sound per dollar around.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3843 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:14:15 »
Just got a pair of AKG K553's from the recent Massdrop sale. Was looking for something closed with low impedance for travelling and at work. To that end, very happy with them. They're way more analytical than my HD555's, but that's a nice change of pace. And they sound great straight from my iPod and work MBP, so mission accomplished.

Definitely need new pads though, I much prefer the velour of the HD555's. Anyone have recommendations on good pads? I hear Brainwavez thrown around a lot, but many of the headphone communities are basically echo chambers aside from sometimes head-fi, so it's tough to tell what's real sometimes.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3844 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:53:30 »
Just got a pair of AKG K553's from the recent Massdrop sale. Was looking for something closed with low impedance for travelling and at work. To that end, very happy with them. They're way more analytical than my HD555's, but that's a nice change of pace. And they sound great straight from my iPod and work MBP, so mission accomplished.

Definitely need new pads though, I much prefer the velour of the HD555's. Anyone have recommendations on good pads? I hear Brainwavez thrown around a lot, but many of the headphone communities are basically echo chambers aside from sometimes head-fi, so it's tough to tell what's real sometimes.

I have the full pleather HM5s on my denons. they are quite comfortable and leave a lot of space. good seal as well. i think brainwavz has a hybrid velour pleather pad as well, that might be worth trying.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #3845 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:04:11 »
I'm sure its been mentioned a few times in this thread, but please remember that your headphones will only be as good as your source. If you don't update your source before updating your headphones, you're really doing yourself a disservice.

If you're like me, and mostly listen to digital sources (MP3, FLAC, ALAC, etc), that means DAC. Which is why buying even a small DAC/AMP combo will go a long way to making your existing, let alone new, headphones sound better. This is assuming plugging it into a computer, or a device that allows either line-out or USB audio.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline djchup

• i write code
« Reply #3846 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:19:17 »
I use an Audio-GD NFB-15 to drive DT-990 600 Ohm.  This is my everyday use setup.  For Gaming and listening to bass-heavy music, I switch to my JVC HA-SZ2000.  Both sets of cans have their uses and I love them both.  The Beyerdynamics for super-crisp highs and the JVC's for the cinematic/nightclub soundstage.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:59:19 by djchup »

Offline clochette

« Reply #3847 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 03:37:20 »

HD700 and UM3x
Show Image

If you're looking for a tubey amp try the Little Dot Mk3. If not just he schiitstack can get the job done if needed.

ah yes, i have been recommended the schiit stack too, but it is slightly out of budget for me at the moment

audio-GD was also shortlisted

just wondering what other HD700 owners are pairing it with

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3848 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 06:29:34 »
I'm sure its been mentioned a few times in this thread, but please remember that your headphones will only be as good as your source. If you don't update your source before updating your headphones, you're really doing yourself a disservice.

If you're like me, and mostly listen to digital sources (MP3, FLAC, ALAC, etc), that means DAC. Which is why buying even a small DAC/AMP combo will go a long way to making your existing, let alone new, headphones sound better. This is assuming plugging it into a computer, or a device that allows either line-out or USB audio.

Can't agree with this enough. I've always found built in audio in phones and computers to be mediocre at best.
Frankly I can't even find anything worse except maybe the middle of the barrel ipods which had decent dac chips but really bad amping.
Just like a pair of headphones' frequency range doesn't mean jack **** about its quality, a DAC's SNR has very little bearing on the actual quality.

Offline dan002

« Reply #3849 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 09:30:23 »
Also posted on the setup thread. However, now I found the proper place:

-Raspberry pi 2 with Hifiberry DAC pro (airplay)
-Shiit Lyr as amp
-Sanheisser HD 600 as headphones

116250-0
Peace, love and keyboards.