Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316232 times)

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4000 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:54:00 »
Can anyone recommend like under $100 headphones that will be comfortable and the best quality for the price? I know that's kind of a tall order, but I don't know much about this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/NVX-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions/dp/B0093PVTPS

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4001 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 22:00:57 »
Brother i need some recommendation on open back headphone. My choice is between ath ad900x, Akg q701 and the senheiser 598 what is better? And are there anything that is better than my choice?

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4002 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 22:22:53 »
Brother i need some recommendation on open back headphone. My choice is between ath ad900x, Akg q701 and the senheiser 598 what is better? And are there anything that is better than my choice?

I personally like the W5000 from audio technica a lot. A decent condition pair on the used market doesn't sell for that much and sounds nice.

Of course, this is preference based.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4003 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 23:08:12 »

You might want to stay away from open cans at that the $100 and below.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4004 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 23:10:34 »

Well this can cost 150+

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4005 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 23:15:34 »

Well this can cost 150+

My preferences push me toward faster drivers.  HiFiMan's 400i is a great headphone unless you want to want to take it out in public.  You'd look like a Franken-kid.

Honestly you should be looking at the AKG 7XX from massdrop if you need to stay with dynamic drivers.  It's a gem on all accounts in the budget open cans.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #4006 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 00:52:25 »
If it's strictly under $100 then there are a few choices. I think rebrands of the Fischer Audio FA-003 (?) Such as the brainwavs HM5.

Otherwise the M50x are always a classic that are good for the price range.

Can anyone recommend like under $100 headphones that will be comfortable and the best quality for the price? I know that's kind of a tall order, but I don't know much about this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/NVX-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions/dp/B0093PVTPS

Thanks folks  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4007 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 05:41:03 »

Well this can cost 150+

My preferences push me toward faster drivers.  HiFiMan's 400i is a great headphone unless you want to want to take it out in public.  You'd look like a Franken-kid.

Honestly you should be looking at the AKG 7XX from massdrop if you need to stay with dynamic drivers.  It's a gem on all accounts in the budget open cans.
thx for the reply man i think the hifiman 400 is better. i never use headphone in public  :p

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4008 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 09:01:34 »
I personally like the W5000 from audio technica a lot. A decent condition pair on the used market doesn't sell for that much and sounds nice.

Yep, totally agree about the personal preference part. I had the ATH-W5000 and I find myself totally disliking its signature sound.....much like the much hyped Beyerdynamic DT-1350 which I'd disliked equally. Had both but have since sold them away.... :-[ Meanwhile, totally loved my Denons (both AH-D7000 and AH-D2000).

@bocahgundul, IF you can find a used Fidelio X2 for somewhat more than what you'd budgeted, or a Denon AH-D2000, snag either one! I don't know what the going rate is for either one (used), but they'd be well worth the money. Oh yeah, the AKG K7XX is very good as well.....no experience with the K7XX but the general consensus is they're worth the money.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4009 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 09:28:54 »

Yep, totally agree about the personal preference part. I had the ATH-W5000 and I find myself totally disliking its signature sound.....much like the much hyped Beyerdynamic DT-1350 which I'd disliked equally. Had both but have since sold them away.... :-[ Meanwhile, totally loved my Denons (both AH-D7000 and AH-D2000).

@bocahgundul, IF you can find a used Fidelio X2 for somewhat more than what you'd budgeted, or a Denon AH-D2000, snag either one! I don't know what the going rate is for either one (used), but they'd be well worth the money. Oh yeah, the AKG K7XX is very good as well.....no experience with the K7XX but the general consensus is they're worth the money.
Well i could get the fidelio under 170 dollar

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4010 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 09:34:12 »
Any one get the massdrop TH-x00's? wondering how they are compared to the 600 and 900 ^^
I love Elzy

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4011 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 09:40:18 »
I'm using a pair of Audeze LCD-2.2's, currently being driven by a Aune X1 amp/DAC.

The DAC is pretty decent, but it's lacking the horse power to sufficiently drive the Audeze cans. It sounds good, but I know they can sound even better with a more powerful amp behind it, like the Mjolnir that I heard them on before I bought them. Still not sure what to throw my money after.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4012 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 09:57:00 »
Any one get the massdrop TH-x00's? wondering how they are compared to the 600 and 900 ^^

Mine are out for delivery. I haven't listened to the 600 or 900 though. But, others should be getting their's today and tomorrow I expect.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4013 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 09:58:07 »

Mine are out for delivery. I haven't listened to the 600 or 900 though. But, others should be getting their's today and tomorrow I expect.

Same. But I'm in Canada so I'll probably be getting them later than most.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #4014 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:04:33 »

Lend them to me for a week? =P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4015 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:05:14 »
Yeah, where you at? I wanna compare to my 600's :D
I love Elzy

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4016 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:09:19 »

Lend them to me for a week? =P

Did you want to do a review? :3 I'm in your neighbouring province, and I would actually consider it. Depends on how soon you'd want them though - I want some time to myself with them first, but I may be driving up to Montreal sometime in January/February for a festival.

Yeah, where you at? I wanna compare to my 600's :D

New Brunswick  :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:13:18 by mobbo »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4017 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:10:27 »
Guess we're meeting up at gl1tch's place since he's in the middle.
I love Elzy

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4018 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:17:26 »

Sounds good. Then you guys can talk about it's "sound signature" with extremely colourful language that will make me feel like I'm taking a wine tasting class all over again.

Cause these are my first real headphones and I need an Audiophile 101 crash course...

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #4019 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:19:31 »

Sounds good. Then you guys can talk about it's "sound signature" with extremely colourful language that will make me feel like I'm taking a wine tasting class all over again.

Cause these are my first real headphones and I need an Audiophile 101 crash course...

I might by one on the used market before then =P

But HMU when you're in Montreal and I'll try and plan the keyboard meet for that time too.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4020 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:23:46 »

But HMU when you're in Montreal and I'll try and plan the keyboard meet for that time too.

I see some people on MD are already pawning theirs off :P

And I definitely will! Didn't know Canadian keyboard meetups existed! Do we just sit around and complain about shipping price & time/duty/taxes/conversion rate?  :))

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #4021 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:47:04 »

And I definitely will! Didn't know Canadian keyboard meetups existed! Do we just sit around and complain about shipping price & time/duty/taxes/conversion rate?  :))

I live in Burlington VT (literally Canada), and I would love to have a northeaster meetup. I posted a thread about one a couple months ago, and it seems like others would be interested.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #4022 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:23:11 »

Those duties, eh?

I know, that conversion rate too, eh?

But no, that's not all we talk aboot.

I definitely want one after I sell this camera and such.

But I can't afford one right now so I guess after christmas once one of the 1950 decide they want to sell theirs for a reasonable price I'll buy one.

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #4023 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:10:21 »
Geekhack HeadFi meetup?

I'm in CA, if anyone wants to meet here too.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #4024 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:34:52 »
Geekhack HeadFi meetup?

You're welcome to take a plane here!

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #4025 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 17:31:48 »
Geekhack HeadFi meetup?

Maybe.. I won't feel safe bringing all my audio equipment up on a plane, as I'd want to hand carry them.

TSA: "You mean these headphone looking thingys are not bombs????"

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #4026 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 19:57:58 »
Geekhack HeadFi meetup?

Maybe.. I won't feel safe bringing all my audio equipment up on a plane, as I'd want to hand carry them.

TSA: "You mean these headphone looking thingys are not bombs????"

They actually didn't seem to mind any of my electronics...

I brought a camera, headphones, DAP, tablet, etc. Into the cabin. No comment from security.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4027 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 20:18:44 »
Bro does fidelio x2 needs amp? Cause i'm planning to get this cans

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4028 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 21:08:30 »

I have a pair of x2s in the mail too :) I have heard that they don't need an amp, however I am sure it can't hurt, and might help a bit. I have a schitt fulla and aune t1 that I am plannign to test them out with. Hoping to eventually sell the aune though, because i am not a huge fan of it.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4029 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 21:52:50 »

I have a pair of x2s in the mail too :) I have heard that they don't need an amp, however I am sure it can't hurt, and might help a bit. I have a schitt fulla and aune t1 that I am plannign to test them out with. Hoping to eventually sell the aune though, because i am not a huge fan of it.
You fulla schiit mann nice amp :p

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #4030 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 22:03:49 »

They actually didn't seem to mind any of my electronics...

I brought a camera, headphones, DAP, tablet, etc. Into the cabin. No comment from security.

I think they pay more attention to things that are out of the ordinary and obscure, like pop cans or toothpaste (hence the ban on most of these things). the scans would definitely pick up any suspicious machinery in those things.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4031 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 05:52:13 »

Because of their low impedance (30 ohms) they are quite easy to drive, and should sound fine straight from your phone or computer. However, like with most other headphones, I do find that they perform better while hooked up to an amp of decent quality.

I can't recommend the X2's enough. For the money, they're an amazing pair of cans.  :)
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4032 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:14:28 »

Because of their low impedance (30 ohms) they are quite easy to drive, and should sound fine straight from your phone or computer. However, like with most other headphones, I do find that they perform better while hooked up to an amp of decent quality.

I can't recommend the X2's enough. For the money, they're an amazing pair of cans.  :)
What about the dt880 250 ohm bro? If they're slightly better with good amp than the fidelio x2 without amp than i'm 100% will go with x2. But if dt880 sound way better wiht amp i will think about getting the dt880 even tho my budget are 200$  :'(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4033 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:54:43 »
I haven't heard the fidelios, but aren't they supposed to have a very different sound signature?

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4034 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 11:38:55 »
The DT880's and the X2's are indeed two very different sounding headphones. It's hard to compare and ultimately comes down to preference. The DT880's are brighter and more neutral sounding, where the X2's have more of a 'fun' sound (slight boost in the treble- and bass area). Both are excellent headphones though, but I would personally favor the X2's.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4035 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 18:09:41 »
The DT880's and the X2's are indeed two very different sounding headphones. It's hard to compare and ultimately comes down to preference. The DT880's are brighter and more neutral sounding, where the X2's have more of a 'fun' sound (slight boost in the treble- and bass area). Both are excellent headphones though, but I would personally favor the X2's.
thank you now i will order the fidelio

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4036 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:32:01 »
thank you now i will order the fidelio

Enjoy, buddy.  :D

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #4037 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:38:23 »
IMO, the DT880 600Ohm, really shines with a well paired amp. For example, the DT880 600ohm always sounded "meh" on the FiiO E09K + E17, Asus Xonar, and Creative E5. But really opened up on the Oppo HA-2. Changed the "character" quite a bit, in a really good way. Super neutral, and not bright even with the ESS dac on the HA-2.

The T90 however, because it's so sensitive, doesn't really pair well on the ESS dac, in comparison to my Schiit Stack.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4038 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:12:47 »
Just got my TH-X00's today, haven't listened to them enough to give an opinion yet but so far I'm loving them. :D
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4039 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:19:51 »
Just got my TH-X00's today, haven't listened to them enough to give an opinion yet but so far I'm loving them. :D

I'm really digging mine. The harshness I experienced the first night is gone - likely I'm used to the signature now. Listened to them for several hours at work today, not fatiguing at all.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #4040 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 21:22:24 »
T.T

I want a pair

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4041 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 21:24:29 »
Turns out my fidelio x2s got shipped the slowest possible method.  :( Two weeks to travel from Toronto to BC.  :'(

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4042 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 06:13:06 »
Turns out my fidelio x2s got shipped the slowest possible method.  :( Two weeks to travel from Toronto to BC.  :'(

I didn't think the sled-dogs were out yet.  :eek:

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4043 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:22:52 »

I didn't think the sled-dogs were out yet.  :eek:

Actually, the tracking updated last night and went from an eta of next wednesday, to showing up on my doorstep this morning :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #4044 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:49:14 »
I used to lurk on Head-Fi back from around 2006 - 2008 and sporadically ever since. I'm simply not erm, financially solvent enough (I'm po'), to stay in the hobby, and my cans sort of reflect the era of when I got into it (Especially the EMU 0404 USB I have -- there are so many sweet DACs these days, but this thing got a lot of great reviews back in the day). I was like, 16-18 then, but these two phones are still my favorites and I use them both for audio work and gaming. 

Restored the the outer side of the ear pads as Sony cut costs by making the half that rests on your ears real lambskin while doing up the rear half in artificial leather, and that stuff does not like humid environments.

Also modded these to have detachable cables, which is nice, but sometimes more trouble than its worth. 

Next are my Sony MDR-CD3000s, which I bought used for a decent price back when eBay was running some cash rebate deal.  They were really really beat up and looked like they were left in the sun for too long. 

About a year ago, I decided to restore it and hand-stitched new ear pads, head band, and the self-adjusting mechanism from Italian lambskin leather, memory foam, and Japanese silk thread.

I know, given that it was my first time, it didn't come out perfect (I really should've spent the money on leather piercing tools), but I'm happy with it and they feel and sound so much better now.

Also gave it a detachable cable mod, restored some of the plastic that was starting to chip away from one of the hangers, and restored the foam padding surrounding the ear cup and some foam that was in between the driver and the cloth covering.

Overall, I'm super happy with them. Someday, I'll get some newer gear. Maybe the HD800s (only Sennheisers that appeal to me), or some R10s or Qualia 010s, lolol. A dream~
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:54:00 by E3E »

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4045 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:54:47 »
Geekhack HeadFi meetup?

I might be interested. I am in CA too.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4046 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:06:58 »

I'm really digging mine. The harshness I experienced the first night is gone - likely I'm used to the signature now. Listened to them for several hours at work today, not fatiguing at all.

Aw glad to see you don't have the problem anymore, definitely my go to headphones for the time being. Now time for me to invest in a better amp/odac. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #4047 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 22:33:13 »
First impressions on the TH-X00... These are very, very, very different to all of the headphones I have owned. At first I was like crap... I might not like these.

Played a few songs.. hrmm.. ok, bass is is definitely there, very different. Mids are a bit recessed, ok, expected that. Treble... hrm, It's missing a bit of the "ring" and decay that I would come to expect from my usual range of headphones..

Few different songs later.. increasing volume on my Bifrost Uber + Modi stack...

Adele - Hello comes on.

HOLY F**K

THIS IS VERY DIFFERENT, IN A VERY GOOD WAY.

While its character as a headphone isn't as full-range from I would have hoped, it definitely has a bit of my SE846 character. Maybe not as detailed just yet ( I believe in mild burn in ) the bass is pretty awesome, not as accurate as the SE846, but it's there, and noticeable. The voice of Adele is very well rendered, gives me goose bumps. In fact I think the voice of adele in this particular song is better rendered vs the T90 on the HA-2. Reduces alot of the harshness. The T90 on the schiit stack was borderline unbearable.

Also, it helps that it's semi-closed so I don't hear the clack of my keyboards  :thumb:

Update: Tried it on the HA-2. Definetly different sound signature on it. It's a tad more forward than the Schiit. As if you were sitting closer to your loudspeakers kind of. I can't comment on sound stage just yet, but I think these definitely sound closer to the SE846 on the HA-2.

On the Schiit they sound a bit more laid back, I guess less fatiguing in a way.

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 22:43:11 by cookiesowns »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4048 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 04:17:05 »
These fidelio x2 are so goooooooooood matee

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4049 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 05:03:01 »

Well this can cost 150+

Binge man, the lack of a removable cable is a dealbreaker for me on the 7XX AKG's. Doesn't that bother you?
Methylated Spirits, not even once.