Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316140 times)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4050 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:53:18 »
The TH-X00 is a sweet looking pair of cans. Almost makes me want to go pick up a pair of closed-back again.  :rolleyes:

These fidelio x2 are so goooooooooood matee

Happy to hear you're liking them so far, buddy.  :thumb:
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline E3E

« Reply #4051 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:48:17 »
TFW no one cares about your decades old cans, ahahaha. Fostex and Denon cans look like they'd be a fantastic jump off point from the MDR-CD3000s.  Did I mention the Sonys always go for a small fortune on eBay these days? 

I've never delved too far back into the vintage era of headphones. The CD3ks are from the early 90s, SA5ks from the mid 00s, but I've seen talk about these Sansui headphones, and they seem like great vintage cans.

That price though! I love their look.

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #4052 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 00:10:59 »
Has anyone here gotten the 4490 upgrade for their bifrost? I'm highly contemplating it, given how good these TH-X00 sounds on the 4390 right now.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4053 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 05:07:05 »
These fidelio x2 are so goooooooooood matee
Glas to hear you're enjoying that badboy! :thumb: I have the X1, it sounds a tad dark but still enjoyable....the X2's supposed to be an improvement over the much liked X1. Be careful though, this audio hobby can be quite detrimental to the health of your bank account.... :eek:

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #4054 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 08:28:46 »
Ah, those MDR-CD3000's... I had a pair, and I always regretted selling them. Nowadays I make it a point not to be swayed by internet opinions, because I sold them due to their "sibilance", but in retrospect I should have just learned to accept its faults and enjoy its strengths (that's the only way I can maintain sanity in buying anything based on the flood of internet reviews out there, really).

But not a big deal, since I've made it up by buying a pair of TH-900's. 8^)

Offline E3E

« Reply #4055 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 09:04:22 »
Ah, those MDR-CD3000's... I had a pair, and I always regretted selling them. Nowadays I make it a point not to be swayed by internet opinions, because I sold them due to their "sibilance", but in retrospect I should have just learned to accept its faults and enjoy its strengths (that's the only way I can maintain sanity in buying anything based on the flood of internet reviews out there, really).

I definitely understand your remarks about the sibilance and what not. On both of the Sony cans I have, the treble is very pronounced at times, but a little dampening foam between the driver and cloth cover helped that a lot! The seal of the leather conversely made the treble worse while also making the bass a lot nicer. It kind of evened out. I tried some acoustic mods to play with its sound profile some, but the foam was all I was ever happy with.

It's crazy how much even beat up CD3000s are selling for these days. People seem to have a soft spot for the old Sony headphones. :)

Ooooh, Fostex TH-900s? Yeah, those are REALLY pretty and look like they'd be an excellent pair to jump to after using the CD3ks for so long, much in the way I feel Sennheiser HD800s would be a good candidate to replace my Sony MDR-SA5000s.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #4056 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 16:07:02 »
Had my wife knit me a cover for the headband - so much more comfortable:

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4057 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 16:42:10 »

I definitely understand your remarks about the sibilance and what not. On both of the Sony cans I have, the treble is very pronounced at times, but a little dampening foam between the driver and cloth cover helped that a lot! The seal of the leather conversely made the treble worse while also making the bass a lot nicer. It kind of evened out. I tried some acoustic mods to play with its sound profile some, but the foam was all I was ever happy with.

It's crazy how much even beat up CD3000s are selling for these days. People seem to have a soft spot for the old Sony headphones. :)

The ony SA5000 was seriously impressive in the treble region but the sennheisers were definitely better overall!

Ooooh, Fostex TH-900s? Yeah, those are REALLY pretty and look like they'd be an excellent pair to jump to after using the CD3ks for so long, much in the way I feel Sennheiser HD800s would be a good candidate to replace my Sony MDR-SA5000s.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4058 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 20:15:31 »
so, without hitting the 1k mark.. what is there after my th600?

i love these. i can't believe i was thinking of getting rid of them after i got my speakers. they're so damn comfortable i could wear them for 10+ hrs (and have) and not get a headache.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4059 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:14:47 »

i love these. i can't believe i was thinking of getting rid of them after i got my speakers. they're so damn comfortable i could wear them for 10+ hrs (and have) and not get a headache.

TH900 is an upgrade from what I've heard. I never tried the TH600 but the 900 is amazing with a bit of EQ.

Used TH900 runs 800-900 depending on condition.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #4060 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 04:45:05 »

Yea... not surprised to hear that the old CD3000's are still selling well. It wasn't a mainstream hit like the Sennheiser HD-580/HD-600 at the time, but people who really loved them, loved them.

They were pretty much the reason I bought the TH-900, lol. I wanted a closed headphone with some solid bass. I think I might prefer the sound signature of the CD3000 a little bit more, though, because the TH-900 has a tint of darkness. But in terms of technical performance, the TH-900 is just amazing.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #4061 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 04:54:33 »

Hmm... no disrespect to Glitched, but if you already have a TH-600, I would go for a headphone with a different sound signature. The TH-900 will definitely be an improvement over the TH-600 in terms of technical performance (from what I've read this seems to include stuff like resolution, separation of instruments, etc.), but I have a feeling the sound signature will still be a similar "Fostex" house sound. Not that I dislike the Fostex sound, but what's the point in having two headphones with similar sound signatures?

Personally, if I had a TH-600, I would go in the complete opposite direction with the next headphone, and maybe pick up an open-backed headphone with a more "neutral" sound, like a pair of Sennheiser HD-600, or one of those Hifi-mans. I didn't really like Hifi-mans at first, but I grew to love their sound as I demo'ed them more and more at headphone meets. You can even go YOLO and try to snipe an HD-800 for a good deal on eBay. I'm sure there will be a retailer or two who would be willing to cut you a good deal - I was able to bring the price down of my TH-900 from $1300 to $1150 shipped, brand new.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2015, 04:58:13 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline genkidama

« Reply #4062 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 10:30:53 »
Hey there friends, I hope to find some help in search of new headphones for me.

I used the Bose AE from way back (2009/2010) and they served me well until now where they broke completely. It would be best to buy new ones rather repair them as it seems like the cost would be the same.
I'm more of a neutral guy, I listen to a lot of different genres of music so an overall headphone would be best I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong. I mostly listen to music while I'm outside going to work, university, sports etc. So I guess they need to be quite durable and easy to put away if I don't need them anymore. I prefer on-ear headphones than around-ear or in-ears and if they have a build-in microfon will be a plus!
My price range would be 150€ tops. But I'm not totally against a headphone that is a bit above my pricetag if it's worth it.

As I only knew Bose headphones I looked some of the newer models up and I think the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth could be nice as when I'm doing sports the cable doesn't get in my way and other than that I can use the cable or so I thought.

Any suggestions or other infos you guys may need? I'm quite lost at this  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2015, 12:00:09 by genkidama »
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #4063 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 18:56:37 »

I used the Bose AE from way back (2009/2010) and they served me well until now where they broke completely. It would be best to buy new ones rather repair them as it seems like the cost would be the same.
I'm more of a neutral guy, I listen to a lot of different genres of music so an overall headphone would be best I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong. I mostly listen to music while I'm outside going to work, university, sports etc. So I guess they need to be quite durable and easy to put away if I don't need them anymore. I prefer on-ear headphones than around-ear or in-ears and if they have a build-in microfon will be a plus!
My price range would be 150€ tops. But I'm not totally against a headphone that is a bit above my pricetag if it's worth it.

As I only knew Bose headphones I looked some of the newer models up and I think the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth could be nice as when I'm doing sports the cable doesn't get in my way and other than that I can use the cable or so I thought.

Any suggestions or other infos you guys may need? I'm quite lost at this  :rolleyes:

I don't know too many of the headphones in the $150 range, but perhaps the Audio Technica ATH-M50x? They are pretty popular, and since they're a closed headphone, they should work well for the work-place. I understand you prefer on-ear, though, which is why I mentioned I don't know too many headphones in the $150 range (because there are so many).

The other popular brand that provides on-ear at $150 that I can think of is Grado, but I'm personally not a fan of their sound. You might like them, though.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #4064 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 19:20:30 »
Will definitely look them up, I faintly heard about Audio Technica headphones. :thumb:
The thing for me is, I just don't know much about different other brands other than Bose or Sennheiser or some gaming brands (razer etc.). So I'm hoping to get more suggestions so I can make up my mind than go with another Bose headphones that are quite expensive for me at this point.

Offline dan002

« Reply #4065 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 19:37:09 »
Any else use soundblaster evo headphones? I have the wireless ones but I always use the  3.5mm wire.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2015, 19:38:53 by dan002 »
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #4066 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 21:51:04 »
Will definitely look them up, I faintly heard about Audio Technica headphones. :thumb:
The thing for me is, I just don't know much about different other brands other than Bose or Sennheiser or some gaming brands (razer etc.). So I'm hoping to get more suggestions so I can make up my mind than go with another Bose headphones that are quite expensive for me at this point.
Consider the Sennheiser Momentum. There is an on-ear version and two over-ear versions, one wireless and one normal. The on-ear version is cheaper and shouldn't be too much above your price range especially when on sale. Sennheiser also makes the Urbanite which is also an on-ear model. I haven't heard it personally but apparently it sounds even better than the on-ear Momentum.

Philips also makes some very good headphones for the price.

Bose is the undisputed king of noise cancellation, but their non-noise canceling headphones (and speakers) are overpriced for the audio quality you get.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #4067 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 00:11:31 »
^ Yes, I thought about the Momentums, too, but I wasn't sure how expensive they were. If you can find them for under $150, definitely pick them up. Sennheiser's "house" sound is my favorite house sound so far (I've tried Fostex, Sony, AKG, Grado, and Sennheiser up to this point).

Yea, it's a good thing you asked. It's always good to get info before putting your money on the line. And yea, Bose tends to be overpriced for the sound quality you get, and I wouldn't trust any of those gaming brands for good audio, either.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #4068 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 05:32:58 »
Hey guys, I love you thank you for the suggestions!  :-*

^ Yes, I thought about the Momentums, too, but I wasn't sure how expensive they were. If you can find them for under $150, definitely pick them up. Sennheiser's "house" sound is my favorite house sound so far (I've tried Fostex, Sony, AKG, Grado, and Sennheiser up to this point).

Yea, it's a good thing you asked. It's always good to get info before putting your money on the line. And yea, Bose tends to be overpriced for the sound quality you get, and I wouldn't trust any of those gaming brands for good audio, either.

I tried the Sennheiser Momentum and they really seem to be created for small heads, they put too much pressure on my head as I tried them for like 5-10 min in a store :( For comparison I wear a size 7 7/8 for new era 59fifty caps or 24 5/8 in inches or 62.5 in cm. So I'm quite big =/
I never heard of the urbanite and will look them up today or tomorrow!

e: I haven't tried them on, but the Urbanite headphones are on sale right now for about 99€ rather than 179€. The 99€ pricetage varies depening on which color I want (black seems to be the cheapest). The wireless version still costs a buffing 230€  :eek:

More

Consider the Sennheiser Momentum. There is an on-ear version and two over-ear versions, one wireless and one normal. The on-ear version is cheaper and shouldn't be too much above your price range especially when on sale. Sennheiser also makes the Urbanite which is also an on-ear model. I haven't heard it personally but apparently it sounds even better than the on-ear Momentum.

Philips also makes some very good headphones for the price.

Bose is the undisputed king of noise cancellation, but their non-noise canceling headphones (and speakers) are overpriced for the audio quality you get.

Can you suggest a model of Philips? I have a discount code for Philips (15%) so I can go above my 150€ price range.
I'm not sure about noise canceling headphones and using them while on the move because I'm afraid I wouldn't hear a car honk or tramway/cable car when I accidentally run in front of it or something like that.
Any experience with noise canceling headphones in that regard?

e: I found the Philips Fidelio, is this what you would suggest?
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2015, 06:15:54 by genkidama »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4069 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:18:11 »
The Philips Fidelio x2 is quite nice!

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4070 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:59:53 »

I would take a look at the V-Moda Crossfade M-80 Vocal. It is on-ear, has a built-in mic in the cable, is spectacularly durable and is $150 USD.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline genkidama

« Reply #4071 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 08:16:57 »
More

I would take a look at the V-Moda Crossfade M-80 Vocal. It is on-ear, has a built-in mic in the cable, is spectacularly durable and is $150 USD.
I will try them on beforehand. I've read that they are quite tight so that there is too much pressure on the head when listening for hours with them. Hopefully they are not as tight as I've read. Here in Germany I can get them for around 150€ as well. :)

Offline genkidama

« Reply #4072 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 10:51:29 »
So I went to the city and tried some of the Sennheiser, AKG and Philips headphones as the other brands were not there. I was kinda torn apart between JBL Synchros 300 and AKG Y 55 headphones, but still the comfort wearing them was not there and they pushed a little while wearing them. After 10mins of listening to various music I kinda felt a tightness around my ears after I put them down.

For old sake I tried the SoundLink Bluetooth headphones from Bose and they are very comfortable while wearing them and sound really good with and without the cable. But unfortunately they are at 200€ :eek: But a very friendly seller in the Bose shop told me about a warranty case where I could send in my old broken headphones and get either a replacement or get new models for a cheaper price and as it is they offered me the SoundLink Bluetooth headphones for around 160€ and I think I'll buy them for that price! Seems like a very good offer for those headphones.  ;D :-*

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #4073 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 23:54:55 »
Didn't even realize this was a thread on GH...
Got my K7XX's a few weeks ago. First time with open backs and at I'd prefer to block out a bit more of the ambient nose (it can get pretty loud in my office sometimes) but they are extremely comfortable for extended periods of time.

Offline dan002

« Reply #4074 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 07:14:15 »
First thing I thought is how the foam pads resemble the HD600.
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4075 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 13:44:17 »
What kind of differences are there between the various Hifiman 400 versions.. there is the 400, the 400i, and the 400s

Offline anarkari

« Reply #4076 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 23:23:13 »

ATH-M50X with Brainwavz velour pads

AKG Q701

AKG K7XX

Sennheiser HD650

I tend to switch between the HD650s and the K7XX's as the Sennheisers actually hurt my ears (fitment not sound) after a couple of hours.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4077 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 23:29:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

AKG Q701
Show Image

AKG K7XX
Show Image

Sennheiser HD650

I tend to switch between the HD650s and the K7XX's as the Sennheisers actually hurt my ears (fitment not sound) after a couple of hours.

Nice collection you got there. You should look into maybe adding a beyer in the mix.

Offline anarkari

« Reply #4078 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 00:21:05 »
Show Image

Show Image

AKG Q701
Show Image

AKG K7XX
Show Image

Sennheiser HD650

Nice collection you got there. You should look into maybe adding a beyer in the mix.

I'm thinking of getting a set of 400i's as they are supposed to go on sale for $299 around christmas.  What kind of sound do the Beyerdynamics have?  I'd like to get some bassy open headphones also.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4079 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 00:26:51 »
Hmm there aren't many bassy open headphones around. The 400i for 299 would be a great deal though. I'm pretty sure the bass on those is not too shabby.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4080 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 03:13:46 »
Looks like I will be picking up the QP1R whenever moon audio receives their shipment..

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4081 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 23:58:40 »
What kind of differences are there between the various Hifiman 400 versions.. there is the 400, the 400i, and the 400s
IIRC, the HE400 has great bass presence though some have mentioned the issue with sparkly highs.....and perhaps some sibilance issue. I had the HE400i and quite liked it, even preferred it over the HE500. It seemed to have better bass vi-a-vis the HE500 but sounded quite similar other than that. But, with the Gustard H10 + X12 stack, I found the HE500 to have better resolve, and bass seemed comparable to the HE400i (though I still think the HE400i has a slightly better bass, might be my imagination though). As for the HE400S, like the HE400 which I've only read about), it seemed to be a decent can, but with less bass extension compared to the HE400......I find most preferring the HE400i over the HE400S, though again, sound appreciation/preference is so damn subjective.

I have the HE4 and HE500 right now, the HE500 has better resolve compared to the HE4, but the sparkly highs and good bass extension of the HE4 is, in some ways, more enjoyable for certain genres of music. Both are great for gaming though.....

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4082 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 00:22:22 »
Just bought some HE-400i's, unsure what DAC/AMP to get for these, any help?
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4083 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 14:06:11 »
My Philips Fidelio x2's broke and when I contacted Philips to find out about the warranty they said they don't have any others in stock so they are refunding me for them.. I liked the x2s, but I'm considering putting a little more money down and getting some HE 400i instead.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4084 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 03:06:18 »
My Philips Fidelio x2's broke and when I contacted Philips to find out about the warranty they said they don't have any others in stock so they are refunding me for them.. I liked the x2s, but I'm considering putting a little more money down and getting some HE 400i instead.

That's what I've got coming in the mail at the moment, not sure about the Fiio E10k to drive them though, might be a bit on the low end.

What's everyone using to drive their cans?!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4085 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:23:27 »

That's what I've got coming in the mail at the moment, not sure about the Fiio E10k to drive them though, might be a bit on the low end.

I don't have a dac or an amp setup yet

Offline graefeln

« Reply #4086 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:30:43 »

I am sure I will pick up something from Schiit eventually, but for now, I am just using an RSA Hornet with my q701... it works fairly nicely for my needs.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4087 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:49:56 »

If you're looking I have an O2/ODAC available on the cheap.

AAaaannnnndddd it's gone.  :-X
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2015, 20:01:14 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4088 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:19:19 »

If you're looking I have an O2/ODAC available on the cheap.

What are we talking? Chuck me a PM with some more details and I might be in!

Condition etc

Offline anarkari

« Reply #4089 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 00:33:47 »
The O2/DAC combo shows up on massdrop about once a month.  I use it for all my headphones and love it.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4090 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 19:13:41 »
Considering buying my mom the Audiotechnica ATH-M40X instead of the Sony MDR-V6/7506 I was originally planning. Anyone have experience with the two? I keep hearing the M40x is the better headphone, but not sure how well it would hold up to her diet of classic rock and country.

Also wondering if this headphone would need an amp to shine, because if it does, I'll probably just get the 7506. Those drive really well without one. Otherwise, Amazon.com is selling both for 80 bucks right now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 December 2015, 19:15:22 by Carcharocles »
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline gain

« Reply #4091 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 22:56:10 »
I currently alternate between a pair of Denon AH-D5000's and a pair of Beyerdynamic T90's, I run both through a CEntrance DACMini CX with the 1ohm mod.

I really enjoy the sound of the T90's through the Dacmini, I used to run them without the amp, and the difference was pretty eye-opening. Truth be told I'm satisfied to a point where I'm not particularly interested in upgrading any time soon.. I wouldn't even know which direction to go from here on out

Also wondering if this headphone would need an amp to shine, because if it does, I'll probably just get the 7506. Those drive really well without one. Otherwise, Amazon.com is selling both for 80 bucks right now.

Honestly mate I doubt an amp will do much for those cans.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4092 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 19:12:28 »
I currently alternate between a pair of Denon AH-D5000's and a pair of Beyerdynamic T90's, I run both through a CEntrance DACMini CX with the 1ohm mod.

I really enjoy the sound of the T90's through the Dacmini, I used to run them without the amp, and the difference was pretty eye-opening. Truth be told I'm satisfied to a point where I'm not particularly interested in upgrading any time soon.. I wouldn't even know which direction to go from here on out

Honestly mate I doubt an amp will do much for those cans.

There's quite a bit you can do to upgrade a desktop setup but trust me, stop while you're ahead if you value your wallet :P

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #4093 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 19:41:20 »
Got me some sennheiser hd 518 headphones for Xmas, couldn't be happier. They sound great, coming from **** earbuds.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4094 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 04:29:13 »
Considering buying my mom the Audiotechnica ATH-M40X instead of the Sony MDR-V6/7506 I was originally planning. Anyone have experience with the two? I keep hearing the M40x is the better headphone, but not sure how well it would hold up to her diet of classic rock and country.

I've only had experience with the M40x (I use them mostly as my travel cans) so I can't compare them to the MDR-V6. I would say the M40x is ever so slightly on the bass-heavy part of the spectrum, but would probably hold up pretty well for both of those genres. And at 35 ohms, they're perfectly fine when used with a phone or other portable device.

If a closed-back design and over-ear pads are not must-have features, I think the Grado SR60e (also $80) might be worth consideration for those genres too as they are bright, engaging, and fun. Not everyone likes the Grado sound, though, so I would recommend trying them in a store first if possible.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4095 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 19:05:59 »
Need to try some thX00's and ABX them because from what I read I might like them more than th600s :(
I love Elzy

Offline shinigamiyuk

« Reply #4096 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 19:12:13 »
I've only really ever use in ear monitors until I bought my Audio-technica ATH-M50x recently. I like them if I need to just listing or watch some netflix for more than a few hours and want something incredibly comfortable to wear. Most over the ear headphones give me a headache the the pressure on my ears and head just drive me nuts until I found the M50x.

My other pair of headphones that I have had for about 3 years now are the JH Audio JH5 PRO CUSTOM IN-EAR MONITOR. I had to go to an audiologist and they filled me ear with this putty type stuff to get an exact mold and then I sent it off to the IEM manufacturer to make my custom ear pieces. They are a dual drive armature that just sound supreme and can be turn to a much lower volume than most headphones and still get really rich tones. I absolutely love them and will probably buy another pair son but next time going for three drivers or more.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4097 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 20:09:13 »
Questyle QP1R

The one thing I'm worried about is the scroll wheel, which I've heard can be a little problematic.

Offline mauri

« Reply #4098 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 06:08:51 »
The O2/DAC combo shows up on massdrop about once a month.  I use it for all my headphones and love it.

Yap, just got mine though it was just the dac. shipping in february \o/
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #4099 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:46:36 »

A Woo Audio WA6! It's my pride and joy, also doubles as a zombie weapon.