Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316201 times)

Offline Rayoui

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4100 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 18:18:26 »
What's everyone using to drive their cans?!
A Woo Audio WA6! It's my pride and joy, also doubles as a zombie weapon.

Really been wanting to try one of these with my T1.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline tribade

« Reply #4101 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:35:03 »
My Philips Fidelio x2's broke and when I contacted Philips to find out about the warranty they said they don't have any others in stock so they are refunding me for them.. I liked the x2s, but I'm considering putting a little more money down and getting some HE 400i instead.

That's what I've got coming in the mail at the moment, not sure about the Fiio E10k to drive them though, might be a bit on the low end.

Nice!  I have the WA7 fireflies for my cans and I love it.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4102 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 20:21:23 »
My Philips Fidelio x2's broke and when I contacted Philips to find out about the warranty they said they don't have any others in stock so they are refunding me for them.. I liked the x2s, but I'm considering putting a little more money down and getting some HE 400i instead.

That's what I've got coming in the mail at the moment, not sure about the Fiio E10k to drive them though, might be a bit on the low end.

Do you guys have any solid states to compare it to? Do you feel that the tubes colour the sound much?
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #4103 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:21:04 »
Sometimes I feel like it's a neck gains day, sometimes I don't.

More

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4104 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:28:00 »

Show Image

Nice duo. What AMP/DAC you using? That's a nice looking cable but i found the viablue splitter to be too chunky and caught on my desk quite often.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #4105 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:32:32 »

Show Image

Nice duo. What AMP/DAC you using? That's a nice looking cable but i found the viablue splitter to be too chunky and caught on my desk quite often.

Running from a Gustard X12/H10 stack. I know EXACTLY what you mean regarding the Viablue splitter. I think I might pus some heat shrink around it or something to eat some of the sharpness when it inevitably hits the front of my desk :/
More

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4106 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:39:16 »

Show Image

Running from a Gustard X12/H10 stack. I know EXACTLY what you mean regarding the Viablue splitter. I think I might pus some heat shrink around it or something to eat some of the sharpness when it inevitably hits the front of my desk :/

Mmm very nice setup. LCD's always sound nice out of Sabre chips. You going for the trinity and looking into a HD800?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4107 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:43:50 »

Show Image

This isn't headphone related but is that monitor the Acer Predator x34? If so, how are you liking it? I've been thinking of grabbing one of those myself. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #4108 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:46:42 »

Show Image

Mmm very nice setup. LCD's always sound nice out of Sabre chips. You going for the trinity and looking into a HD800?

Thanks! HD800 is next of the list for sure - hoping the price will drop a bit in the coming months. I'm thinking that something other than a Sabre will sound better with HD800's though. Recommend any decently priced pairings?
More

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #4109 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:51:33 »

Show Image

This isn't headphone related but is that monitor the Acer Predator x34? If so, how are you liking it? I've been thinking of grabbing one of those myself. :thumb:

Correct, x34. Liking it lots. Previous monitor was Rog swift so I was a little worried that it could be a big step down from 144hz to 100hz bit I'm finding that it really isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Plus ultrawide. Was never a huge on multi monitors personally so this is just about perfect for me.
More

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4110 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:55:19 »
I've currently got mine paired with the hdvd800 but I can't say how well that will pair with your other headphones. I found it to be a little thin with my lcd2 so I usually have that hooked up to my WA7. HD800 are notorious for pairing poorly with many DACs definitely do some research first.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4111 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 22:31:36 »

Show Image

Correct, x34. Liking it lots. Previous monitor was Rog swift so I was a little worried that it could be a big step down from 144hz to 100hz bit I'm finding that it really isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Plus ultrawide. Was never a huge on multi monitors personally so this is just about perfect for me.

Ah thank you very much for the response. I'm debating either the Predator x34 or the LG 34UM95C. The LG isn't curved and does not have g-sync but the price is so much more desirable than what current Predator x34's are going for on amazon. I'm sadly limited to amazon since I received a significant amount of gift cards from Christmas

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #4112 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 23:37:53 »

Show Image

Ah thank you very much for the response. I'm debating either the Predator x34 or the LG 34UM95C. The LG isn't curved and does not have g-sync but the price is so much more desirable than what current Predator x34's are going for on amazon. I'm sadly limited to amazon since I received a significant amount of gift cards from Christmas

Hey, no problem. They're both good monitors for different reasons. If you have trouble making up your mind don't hesitate shoot me a note and ask as many questions as you like. The amazon price is moronic right now because it isn't in stock anywhere right now except the "private" sellers. Once they get inventory back in it should likely drop to 1k-1.2k range again.
More

Offline tribade

« Reply #4113 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 00:31:25 »

Do you guys have any solid states to compare it to? Do you feel that the tubes colour the sound much?

I don't have a solid state amp to compare it to unfortunately.  I'm running a Grado GS1000 on it so I don't think I'm one for the objective camp as is.  I like my sound a little bit colored for the most part.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4114 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 03:23:15 »
Do I really want to drop 950 on noble 5c?
I love Elzy

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4115 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 03:27:30 »

I know I do. :( Keep in mind that you just missed out on a pretty good black friday sale.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4116 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 03:43:28 »

I know I do. :( Keep in mind that you just missed out on a pretty good black friday sale.

**** U KIDDING

UGH

I might like 4c better. I tried the 5 universal and I like flat a lot more than bass tuned. flat is life
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4117 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 05:42:25 »
when did noble raise their prices on the 3 and 4c? used to be 450 and 650. I might go for 1964ears v6-s... good reviews and what I'm looking for. if I go noble I'd blow a quarter the money on reprinting a wizard design and selecting one is so stressful!

now if only their site will load...

hmm but this talk of sibilance worries me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 05:46:30 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline vegs

« Reply #4118 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 06:15:46 »
Opinions on the Fidelio X2 if I already own AKG Q701 and Audio Technica ATHM50? I seriously cannot stand the band on the Q701, so I might even sell it.

It's on sale with 33% off at the moment.

I'm using the Monoprice DAC/AMP.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 06:17:39 by Veggis »
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4119 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 09:11:01 »
Snagged myself a Sony Z5 Premium to be used as my main phone, relegated my LG G Pro 2 to secondary use with my spare SIM card. Since the Song Z5P is capable of High Res music playback (including native DSD), I'll used it as a DAP as well. I've heard many a great things about Noble Audio Savant and an opportunity presented itself today for me to snag a used one at a pretty decent price, needless to say, I jumped at the chance and I don't regret this impulse buy. It is a very clean and clear sounding IEM that I'll be spending more time with...

Yes, I like Celine Dion..... :-[

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4120 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 09:29:55 »

I don't have a solid state amp to compare it to unfortunately.  I'm running a Grado GS1000 on it so I don't think I'm one for the objective camp as is.  I like my sound a little bit colored for the most part.

true, to each his own.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #4121 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 11:14:48 »
Opinions on the Fidelio X2 if I already own AKG Q701 and Audio Technica ATHM50? I seriously cannot stand the band on the Q701, so I might even sell it.

X2's are great for the price but keep in mind they're having a unusually large number of quality control issues at the moment. Things like glue left on the pads, parts not fully screwed down such. The general consensus seems to be that QC faltered with the Phillips division being bought by Gibson.
More

Offline vegs

« Reply #4122 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 14:33:20 »

X2's are great for the price but keep in mind they're having a unusually large number of quality control issues at the moment. Things like glue left on the pads, parts not fully screwed down such. The general consensus seems to be that QC faltered with the Phillips division being bought by Gibson.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll give it a shot.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4123 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 21:27:46 »
Got in touch with Brannan today, thinking about getting this reprinted but with blue GID dots.

I love Elzy

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #4124 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 21:40:19 »
On topic - Using HD598 + NuPrime uDSD. Good enough for my purposes. Ended up getting a HD598 SE as backup since it was on sale recently in Canada. The most comfortable headphones I've used thus far, which is the most important thing for me.

Had Grado SR235I's previously but they were not at all comfortable. Never ended up doing the Sennheiser 414 pad mod, just sold them with the unmodded pads  :)).

Show Image

Hey, no problem. They're both good monitors for different reasons. If you have trouble making up your mind don't hesitate shoot me a note and ask as many questions as you like. The amazon price is moronic right now because it isn't in stock anywhere right now except the "private" sellers. Once they get inventory back in it should likely drop to 1k-1.2k range again.

I would strongly recommend you wait for the Asus PG348Q. I'm fairly certain they delayed it to work out some of the kinks Acer has experienced with the X34 launch, but the competition and availability fo the two should bring some more reasonable pricing.

Personally, I'm happy to have finally got a decent panel in my XB271HU (XB1) after dealing with a poor PG279Q, XB270HU, and FG2421 in the past... I think I'll wait for HDR/OLED stuff now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 21:42:37 by Vittra »
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4125 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:09:52 »
HE-400i were $299 on amazon last night, I get to the bank this morning to deposit the money for them and go back home to find them back at $475   :'(

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4126 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:25:37 »

Show Image

I would strongly recommend you wait for the Asus PG348Q. I'm fairly certain they delayed it to work out some of the kinks Acer has experienced with the X34 launch, but the competition and availability fo the two should bring some more reasonable pricing.

Personally, I'm happy to have finally got a decent panel in my XB271HU (XB1) after dealing with a poor PG279Q, XB270HU, and FG2421 in the past... I think I'll wait for HDR/OLED stuff now.

Thanks for the info but I'm not really interested in a 27" monitor, I am currently using a 27" 1440p and for a single monitor use I'd like to have it bigger.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #4127 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:16:08 »
HE-400i were $299 on amazon last night, I get to the bank this morning to deposit the money for them and go back home to find them back at $475   :'(

Ouch! 299 is a pretty stellar deal for 400i's
More

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4128 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:22:27 »

Ouch! 299 is a pretty stellar deal for 400i's

I saw they were on sale for that price for a week or so during the holidays but I passed on it myself, 20/20 hindsight. :p

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4129 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:34:35 »
I just had to wait til the bank opened today so I could deposit the refund check I got from Gibson for my Philip Fidelio x2s.. maybe they will go back on sale :'(

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4130 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:35:40 »
I'm going to bank tomorrow for big purchase too... woo audio!
I love Elzy

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4131 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:37:54 »

Very nice, which one did you decide on?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4132 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:39:00 »

ah damn I just realized I phrased this like I was getting something from WA. I meant woo as in like yay :D
I love Elzy

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4133 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:40:56 »

ah damn I just realized I phrased this like I was getting something from WA. I meant woo as in like yay :D

Haha either way getting new audio equipment is always fun and exciting. :p

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4134 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 19:10:13 »
getting those new Fostex?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #4135 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 10:47:54 »

I want 'em

too lazy to sell th-900, though
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4136 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 11:01:01 »

I want 'em

bruh me too
I love Elzy

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #4137 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 11:03:30 »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4138 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 11:18:38 »
shots fired :o

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4139 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 11:41:51 »
I wish I had the TH-900 to compare to but I'm really enjoying these TH-X00s. It seems next run Massdrop will come out with different wood ear cup covers and fix a few things, the only thing I hate is the cable so I will most like mod mine when I get the chance.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4140 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 11:52:36 »

I want 'em

bruh me too

th-600 for you, lil bish

but flat is life thus thx00 is the best. throw some lawton pads on it
I love Elzy

Offline SunTanScanMan

« Reply #4141 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 02:04:34 »
Hi all, new member here. Currently a happy camper with the set up below.

Current headphones:
- audio-technica ATH-W5000
- Sennheiser HD 650
- AKG K550

Sold:
-  beyerdynamic T1
- audio-technica ATH-W1000X
- audio-technica ATH-AD700X (gifted to family member)

Amp: Meier Corda Classic
DAC: Meier Corda Daccord

Music: Mostly classical - string quartets, and other chamber music.
HHKB Professional 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Leopold FC750R w/blues

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4142 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 03:17:39 »
He=400i's came today! I'm so excited, gotta say though I was overall not very impressed with how loosely it all looked chucked together in the box, it almost looks like someone ruffled through it, which is why it took so long to come in the mail the first place, seller sent from China, didn't pass customs and they had to send it again :s

I can see how people talk about QC as well if this is how it comes stock in the box!

Looking forward to pairing it up in an hour or so with the O2/ODAC!

Like this is what it looked like when I opened the lid

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 January 2016, 03:30:11 by SploogeFactory »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4143 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 07:49:53 »
Went with an impulse buy today, I was looking for a replacement/spare cable for my Noble Audio Savant when I stumbled on some Campfire Audio IEM's. Tried the Jupiter and well, I was wowed by the sounds, great clarity, nice bass, forward mids and it has a pretty good soundstage. Had to scratch that itch and now, I'm feel a fair bit poorer....
A pic of the box in which the Jupiter came in....

The leather case with its woolly interior.....and the Campfire Audio Jupiter. It's made from CNC machined aluminium...

The other content of the box, a variety of tips, a cleaning brush and an ALO tinsel cable with a 2.5mm plug....I suppose I'd have to get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter if I want to use it.

A shot of the IEM, love its simple industrial looks........and the sound!

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4144 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 07:58:48 »
Went with an impulse buy today, I was looking for a replacement/spare cable for my Noble Audio Savant when I stumbled on some Campfire Audio IEM's. Tried the Jupiter and well, I was wowed by the sounds, great clarity, nice bass, forward mids and it has a pretty good soundstage. Had to scratch that itch and now, I'm feel a fair bit poorer....
A pic of the box in which the Jupiter came in....
Show Image

The leather case with its woolly interior.....and the Campfire Audio Jupiter. It's made from CNC machined aluminium...
Show Image

The other content of the box, a variety of tips, a cleaning brush and an ALO tinsel cable with a 2.5mm plug....I suppose I'd have to get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter if I want to use it.
Show Image

A shot of the IEM, love its simple industrial looks........and the sound!
Show Image

That case is awesome, these look really interesting.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4145 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:26:53 »
He=400i's came today! I'm so excited, gotta say though I was overall not very impressed with how loosely it all looked chucked together in the box, it almost looks like someone ruffled through it, which is why it took so long to come in the mail the first place, seller sent from China, didn't pass customs and they had to send it again :s

I can see how people talk about QC as well if this is how it comes stock in the box!

Show Image

Congrats on the HE-400i's, hope you enjoy 'em.

And dank shoes, buddy!
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4146 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 10:04:21 »

Show Image

Someone did go through that box.

Anyway I've been waiting for this all week!

If you have a windows OS please hit me up.  There is a great OS level visual EQ that can help you tune the sound to be even more flat or more to your liking.  I've done tons of tweaks when the mood struck me and the HFM planars can push out boosted frequencies without saturating.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4147 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:25:03 »
All the price gouging on the TH-X00 =(

finally got the CD for Tales of Weaver - Exceed by Vanilla Mood!

Unfortunately the jewel case was cracked on the front =(

Also my kind of new phone bricked.
Then my new phone bricked.

And my new HDD is DOA...

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #4148 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:27:13 »

And my new HDD is DOA...

It sounds like you need technology therapy

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4149 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:30:29 »

And my new HDD is DOA...

It sounds like you need technology therapy

Everything around me comes out defective =(
Except my GoN keyboard and AKG K551 apparently  :thumb: