Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316143 times)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4150 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:01:52 »
Just ordered some HE400is.. just how much am I going to be needing an amp to go with these? I don't have one currently

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4151 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:03:22 »
Wow, i guess i need to step it up a bit! I spend most of my 8 hours at work with some V-Moda M-100's on my head. I like them for portability but I could use something a bit more comfortable that maybe breathes better?
-Dana

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4152 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:38:45 »
He=400i's came today! I'm so excited, gotta say though I was overall not very impressed with how loosely it all looked chucked together in the box, it almost looks like someone ruffled through it, which is why it took so long to come in the mail the first place, seller sent from China, didn't pass customs and they had to send it again :s

I can see how people talk about QC as well if this is how it comes stock in the box!

Looking forward to pairing it up in an hour or so with the O2/ODAC!

Like this is what it looked like when I opened the lid

Show Image

Someone did go through that box.

Anyway I've been waiting for this all week!

If you have a windows OS please hit me up.  There is a great OS level visual EQ that can help you tune the sound to be even more flat or more to your liking.  I've done tons of tweaks when the mood struck me and the HFM planars can push out boosted frequencies without saturating.
Yeah awesome, I am running Windows!

Let me know
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4153 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 19:20:23 »
Just ordered some HE400is.. just how much am I going to be needing an amp to go with these? I don't have one currently

try it without an amp, and if it isn't loud enough for you then invest in one  :thumb:
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4154 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 19:31:18 »
He=400i's came today! I'm so excited, gotta say though I was overall not very impressed with how loosely it all looked chucked together in the box, it almost looks like someone ruffled through it, which is why it took so long to come in the mail the first place, seller sent from China, didn't pass customs and they had to send it again :s

I can see how people talk about QC as well if this is how it comes stock in the box!

Looking forward to pairing it up in an hour or so with the O2/ODAC!

Like this is what it looked like when I opened the lid

Show Image

Congrats on the HE-400i's, hope you enjoy 'em.

And dank shoes, buddy!

Ahh, thanks man, didn't see this!

Listened to them all last night until about 1:30, bought a fair bit of FLAC electronic music, glitch hop etc from some small producers I'd known and it really seems to shine with that kind of music.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4155 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:10:34 »

try it without an amp, and if it isn't loud enough for you then invest in one  :thumb:
Great and sensible advice! Get an amp only IF onboard audio doesn't get loud enough. :thumb: Don't just get an amp just be because......

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #4156 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 13:03:30 »
So.. the girlfriend took the TH-X00 to work. I don't know if I will ever see them again  :))

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4157 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 13:37:13 »
So.. the girlfriend took the TH-X00 to work. I don't know if I will ever see them again  :))

RIP, say your goodbyes now.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4158 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:32:18 »

I'd be mad
I love Elzy

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #4159 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 15:33:42 »
Sometimes I feel like it's a neck gains day, sometimes I don't.

Show Image

This isn't headphone related but is that monitor the Acer Predator x34? If so, how are you liking it? I've been thinking of grabbing one of those myself. :thumb:

Correct, x34. Liking it lots. Previous monitor was Rog swift so I was a little worried that it could be a big step down from 144hz to 100hz bit I'm finding that it really isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Plus ultrawide. Was never a huge on multi monitors personally so this is just about perfect for me.

Ah thank you very much for the response. I'm debating either the Predator x34 or the LG 34UM95C. The LG isn't curved and does not have g-sync but the price is so much more desirable than what current Predator x34's are going for on amazon. I'm sadly limited to amazon since I received a significant amount of gift cards from Christmas

Hey, no problem. They're both good monitors for different reasons. If you have trouble making up your mind don't hesitate shoot me a note and ask as many questions as you like. The amazon price is moronic right now because it isn't in stock anywhere right now except the "private" sellers. Once they get inventory back in it should likely drop to 1k-1.2k range again.

I would strongly recommend you wait for the Asus PG348Q. I'm fairly certain they delayed it to work out some of the kinks Acer has experienced with the X34 launch, but the competition and availability fo the two should bring some more reasonable pricing.

Personally, I'm happy to have finally got a decent panel in my XB271HU (XB1) after dealing with a poor PG279Q, XB270HU, and FG2421 in the past... I think I'll wait for HDR/OLED stuff now.

Thanks for the info but I'm not really interested in a 27" monitor, I am currently using a 27" 1440p and for a single monitor use I'd like to have it bigger.
PG348Q is 34", 21:9, 3440x1440,  Gsync, 100hz (with Gsync module), so the same as the Acer X34.

Personally, I find 2560x1440 @ 27" the sweet spot for PPI. Coupled with 144hz/165hz and Gsync, this is the best gaming experience I've had since using a CRT. The 4K 30" 120hz monitor Dell recently announced sounds interesting, but I'm not expecting variable refresh rate technology in it, and it's $5K USD anyway. Might be Thunderbolt 3 only as well.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4160 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:14:24 »
PG348Q is 34", 21:9, 3440x1440,  Gsync, 100hz (with Gsync module), so the same as the Acer X34.

Personally, I find 2560x1440 @ 27" the sweet spot for PPI. Coupled with 144hz/165hz and Gsync, this is the best gaming experience I've had since using a CRT. The 4K 30" 120hz monitor Dell recently announced sounds interesting, but I'm not expecting variable refresh rate technology in it, and it's $5K USD anyway. Might be Thunderbolt 3 only as well.

+1

I have an Acer XB270HU and the gaming experience is simply fantastic. Smoothness of motion is unparalleled in any IPS panel I've seen. Colors are very accurate when calibrated so I use mine for editing photos as well. Probably the best display I've seen yet. However, the PG348Q has my attention. Don't know if I'll be getting one though since I love my XB270HU and I just preordered the Oculus.

I made a slow-motion comparison video between my XB270HU and an ASUS PB278Q:
More
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline GwenAlli

« Reply #4161 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 00:41:08 »
A few months ago I got my first pair of "audiophile" headphones, Audio-Technica's ATH-AD700X. I have to say, these things are AMAZING  ;D  Everything is so nice sounding and it's really easy to tell where the sounds are coming from. The only thing that is kinda weird is you can hear your environment very well, which can be a positive or negative I suppose. Anyways, I am totally new to the headphone sceen but I have to reccomend these headphone especially if they are still on sale for $99 on Amazon.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4162 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:27:42 »
A few months ago I got my first pair of "audiophile" headphones, Audio-Technica's ATH-AD700X. I have to say, these things are AMAZING  ;D  Everything is so nice sounding and it's really easy to tell where the sounds are coming from. The only thing that is kinda weird is you can hear your environment very well, which can be a positive or negative I suppose. Anyways, I am totally new to the headphone sceen but I have to reccomend these headphone especially if they are still on sale for $99 on Amazon.
I have it too, awesome entry level audiophile can for sure. :thumb: You can hear the environment well because it's an open (back) can, open back cans tend to allow exterior noise to leak in. I have more than 10 cans, all (with the exception of one) are open cans. I have but one close back can in the Alpha Dog, which is why I'm in the market for a good close back one.......the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro is a prime candidate for me.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4163 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:45:14 »
ok guys I did it. Appointment for audiologist Monday and Noble 4C reprint ordered.
I love Elzy

Offline Rotwitt

• I'm trying to have fun designing keyboards
« Reply #4164 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 15:14:40 »
My daily driver is currently a set of KEF M500s:

Really solid choice if you're looking for a set of neutral and portable headphones, if you ask me.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4165 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:19:51 »
Borrowing some TH-X00 from a local! Can't wait to get home !!!

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4166 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 12:01:29 »
Just picked up a Violectric V200. I haven't had much time with it yet but I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4167 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 12:35:45 »
TH-X00's are on Massdrop again! I definitely recommend getting a pair. :thumb:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4168 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 13:01:40 »
Kinda wanting a new pair of closed headphones.  Dunno if I want to get another pair of fostex, try the hd630vb or grab something else doe...

Offline dan002

« Reply #4169 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 16:47:15 »
Just picked up a Violectric V200. I haven't had much time with it yet but I'm enjoying it so far.

Show Image

Hey I'm new to audiophile equipment. I also have the Lyr tube tube amp.
Can you explain the setup, what cables do you use and where is the audio source. Does it go?
PC -->Bitfrost DAC --> Lyr tube amp --> V200?
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4170 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:31:36 »
Hey I'm new to audiophile equipment. I also have the Lyr tube tube amp.
Can you explain the setup, what cables do you use and where is the audio source. Does it go?
PC -->Bitfrost DAC --> Lyr tube amp --> V200?

I'm actually using the Lyr as a preamp for my speakers at the moment.

PC --> [TOSLINK] --> Bifrost --> [RCA to XLR] --> V200 --> Lyr --> SAE 2200 (power amp) --> KEF Q300 speakers

I have the jumpers in my V200 set so the RCA jacks on the back are just an unamped passthrough. I can actually plug headphones into either the V200 or the Lyr or both. My SAE 2200 power amp is connected via the Lyr's preamp outs.

Offline venyv

« Reply #4171 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:39:39 »
I have been using the Master and Dynamic MH40 headphones. Love these things they are just a little on the heavy side.

Offline dan002

« Reply #4172 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:06:14 »

PC --> [TOSLINK] --> Bifrost --> [RCA to XLR] --> V200 --> Lyr --> SAE 2200 (power amp) --> KEF Q300 speakers

I have the jumpers in my V200 set so the RCA jacks on the back are just an unamped passthrough. I can actually plug headphones into either the V200 or the Lyr or both. My SAE 2200 power amp is connected via the Lyr's preamp outs.
Thanks! What is your main audio player? I use iTunes and their M4A stuff now. Although, in the past I used foobar for everything.
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4173 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:15:13 »
Bought an Ikea side table thingy to place under my desk, I then put my OPPO HA-1 on it, you can see on the left side of my desk below where my headphones are (just to the right of my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog). Oh yeah, also bought a 29" AOC Ultra Wide monitor a short while ago....

Scoured the local tech and audio forum sale threads for a good replacement cable for my recently acquired CampFire Jupiter, found an ALO SXC 24 MMCX/3.5 cable going for just about half the retail price of a new one, so I snagged it.....now I have one for my Jupiter and one for my Fitear Parterre.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4174 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 11:56:03 »

Thanks! What is your main audio player? I use iTunes and their M4A stuff now. Although, in the past I used foobar for everything.

I use Foobar. I have quite a bit of M4A as well (much better codec than MP3) but I just use Foobar for everything.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4175 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 18:46:29 »

I use Foobar. I have quite a bit of M4A as well (much better codec than MP3) but I just use Foobar for everything.

Winamp here.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4176 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 14:54:46 »
Beyerdynamic.. best I've come across so far at this pricepoint.

Sounds as clean, crisp, and defined as my monitors (Yamaha ES-5). Also sounds great on my digital piano (Kawai CN-35).

MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4177 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:06:14 »
Just picked up a pair of RBH HP-2's. Best pair of headphones I've picked for under $200's!!!

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4178 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:12:56 »
Just picked up a pair of RBH HP-2's. Best pair of headphones I've picked for under $200's!!!

:blank:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4179 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:18:51 »
impressions sent off to Noble :X
I love Elzy

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4180 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:40:26 »

:blank:

They are incredibly comfortable and the cleanest sounding headphones I've ever heard. Surpass the AKG K702's I owned and they are easier to drive as well. I've owned other RBH products before and haven't met a product of theirs that hasn't impressed me. Using some of their old Desination Audio speakers for my computer set up now.

http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/rbh-sound-hp-1b-wireless-and-hp-2-reference-headphones-preview

Offline xJudas

« Reply #4181 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 14:34:05 »

Sounds as clean, crisp, and defined as my monitors (Yamaha ES-5). Also sounds great on my digital piano (Kawai CN-35).

Show Image

I run a Scarlet 2i2 as well, really nice little unit. Has outlasted my Firebox and Fast Track Pro

Also, you can see a pair of my brand new ATH-M50s. Had to get a new pair to replace my beat ones.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4182 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:25:29 »

Show Image

I run a Scarlet 2i2 as well, really nice little unit. Has outlasted my Firebox and Fast Track Pro

Show Image

Also, you can see a pair of my brand new ATH-M50s. Had to get a new pair to replace my beat ones.

Show Image

Nice setup you got there! I've used those ATH's as well.. they sound really nice.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4183 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:33:04 »
My favorite :D

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4184 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:09:51 »

Show Image

It's just a shame fostex haven't caught onto the detachable cable trend yet

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4185 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:10:41 »

Show Image

I know...planning on doing a mod for myself one of these times. I forget whom it was but I looked up a company for the job and it was going to be $200+ lol.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4186 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:12:40 »

Show Image

I know...planning on doing a mod for myself one of these times. I forget whom it was but I looked up a company for the job and it was going to be $200+ lol.
You must be thinking of Lawton audio. They are extremely overpriced but can't complain in terms of quality.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4187 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:13:45 »

Show Image

You must be thinking of Lawton audio. They are extremely overpriced but can't complain in terms of quality.

Ah yes that was it, Lawton...damn you for your prices haha

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4188 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:15:31 »

Show Image

Haha yeh I was tempted at one stage then realised how stupid I would have been to fork out that much cash for a removable cable upgrade.

Anyways enjoy the X00's. I heard they are fantastic out of the box anyways.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4189 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:19:14 »

Show Image

Haha yeh I was tempted at one stage then realised how stupid I would have been to fork out that much cash for a removable cable upgrade.

Thanks I really love them! It has a very wide sound stage and amazing bass. I'm currently using a centrance DAC and o2 amp so I think I need to step my game up with the equipment.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4190 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:23:44 »

Show Image

Thanks I really love them! It has a very wide sound stage and amazing bass. I'm currently using a centrance DAC and o2 amp so I think I need to step my game up with the equipment.
It's depends how deep you want to go down that rabbit hole lol. Your amp and dac aren't bad at all so what you'll get back in return for a LOT of money would be quite minimal.

If you lived in Australia I would lend you my WA7 to try out.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4191 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:29:19 »
More

Show Image

It's depends how deep you want to go down that rabbit hole lol. Your amp and dac aren't bad at all so what you'll get back in return for a LOT of money would be quite minimal.

If you lived in Australia I would lend you my WA7 to try out.

Yeah I know there's a good bit of diminishing return once you start spending more money. I'm pretty comfortable with what I would but would love a better combo like a schiit stack or an all in one to avoid some cables haha.

I appreciate the generosity, shipping that brick that would costly and dangerous. :p

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4192 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:34:07 »
It's actually 2 bricks because I have the matching tube power supply haha.

Have a look on headfi classifieds. You'll most likely get the best bang for buck buying from the used market. Perhaps a 2nd hand Burson conductor for that smooth sabre sound =) Hit me up if you need a second opinion before you buy

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4193 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:36:58 »

Have a look on headfi classifieds. You'll most likely get the best bang for buck buying from the used market. Perhaps a 2nd hand Burson conductor for that smooth sabre sound =) Hit me up if you need a second opinion before you buy

Sounds good, thank you very much for the advice and help. :thumb:

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4194 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 19:41:09 »

Sounds good, thank you very much for the advice and help. :thumb:
Any time bro!

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4195 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 09:17:33 »
I don't mind the cable at all. Detachable would be nice for stowing purposes, but honestly, the headphones are used exclusively on my desk 99% of the time, so not that big a deal.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #4196 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 09:23:12 »
the fostex th900 mk2 have Detachable cables.  :thumb:

here is my current setup 

HD25 Aluminiums + DacMagic XS v2

126330-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2016, 09:26:18 by toxicdrift »
Realforce 87U

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4197 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 07:54:23 »
I have Nobles coming in a few months and TH-600 already why do I want -X00's T_T
I love Elzy

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4198 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 08:14:41 »
the fostex th900 mk2 have Detachable cables.  :thumb:

here is my current setup 

HD25 Aluminiums + DacMagic XS v2

(Attachment Link)

do you REALLY need an amp for hd25s? i have the alus as well.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4199 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:17:00 »
I have Nobles coming in a few months and TH-600 already why do I want -X00's T_T

because they are sexy
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.