Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316185 times)

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4300 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 07:22:02 »
@x9Memoriez, I think your best chance of finding out how to mod the DT990 Premium with the detachable cable mod starts at HeadFi. BTW, I have the DT990 Premium as well, lovely can with sparkly treble and nice thumping bass (Ofc, not Beats or basshead level though).

Anyway, I'm arranging with a friend to get a pair of HiFiMan HE1000, and with any luck, I should have it in a month or two. This will be my first true summit-fi can......

Offline awakened

« Reply #4301 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 07:51:20 »
Just got my first pair of highquality headphones HE-400s ! what do you guys think?

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #4302 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 08:50:25 »
Just got my first pair of highquality headphones HE-400s ! what do you guys think?
HE-400 or HE-400S?
I've been thinking about getting the HE-400S because I want to try out some planars but I'll probably wait until after the summer.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #4303 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:04:36 »
HE-400 or HE-400S?
I've been thinking about getting the HE-400S because I want to try out some planars but I'll probably wait until after the summer.

I have have the 400S and I love them. my first planars, the only downside I have isthat I can't use them during videocalls :P the headband looks silly but works.
TP4 fanboy

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #4304 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:16:03 »
my sennheiser momentums got dropped off, can't wait to get home.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #4305 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 11:01:42 »
Creative Soundblaster Evo ZX

bluetooth, USB, or 3.5mm

what can i say... i like options :D

they sound good too.
131162-0
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4306 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 11:10:54 »
my sennheiser momentums got dropped off, can't wait to get home.
Nice! My friend has the Momentum BT and I love the sound, great treble energy with a nice bass thump.....quite fun to listen with. :thumb:

I've thinnned out my collection of cans, the HE1000 will be my final end game can.....but, I'll definitely be keeping a few of my other cans as well. Sold off my HE400i, ATH-W5000 and ATH-AD2000, but will be keeping:
HFM HE500/HE4, Denon AH-D7000/AH-D2000, Grado GS1000i/PS1000, AKG K812, Sennheiser HD800, AT ATH-A900X LTD, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (definitely keeping the A900X LTD and Alpha Dog as these are my only two pairs of closed back cans), and my modded Fostex T50RP. I'm of two minds as to what to do with my Fidleio X1 and Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium. I'm more likely to sell the former and keep the latter as I like its sig sound. Still, I might sell it off in the local forums if the price is right......there was a time when I had something like 18-20 pairs of headphones, I do go overboard sometimes.... :-[

Offline Red October

« Reply #4307 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 00:17:55 »
I use Beyerdynamic DT100 and I couldn't be happier with it.  I've had it for three or four years now and it sounds better than anything else I've ever used.  Now I've never had fancy Japanese electrostatic earphones, but I've had nice headsets including many KOSS ones.  It has enough isolation that it can substitute for noise-cancelling headphones versus a PC that's cranking away with the fans on high or a cheap, nasty Chinese air conditioner that you're using while you get the problem in the good one fixed.  I haven't had the opportunity to try them in an aeroplane, but I'd rather have them than nothing.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4308 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:16:05 »
Wow...

AK240 > Aune B1 portable amp > TH-X00

Fantastic combo. However the AK240 is a bit of a bank breaker.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #4309 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:25:00 »
Momentums are really fun to listen to :)
Only missing some not too expensive mobile dac.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #4310 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 22:52:51 »

Try something from fiio
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #4311 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 02:09:11 »

Try something from fiio

Been thinking about the e10k

Offline awakened

« Reply #4312 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 16:51:00 »
HE-400 or HE-400S?

waiting until after summer would be wise, a lot of discounts going on! even on amazon, but I went for the S just because it would be cheaper and its my first pair.. I think going from beats/razor headset the only way is up!

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #4313 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 14:12:00 »
Few years ago, my first "nice" headphones were the V-moda m100s, which have been extremely reliable and sturdy. They're still great to portability as well. However I really wanted to have a nice home setup as well, and more comfortable so over Christmas I treated myself to the Hifiman HE-560 and the JDS Element to pair alongside it.

Now these absolutely blew me away with their accuracy, planar bass, and comfort. Only gripe about them is their build quality doesn't absolutely scream top-notch, especially how much it cost my wallet  :'( but still for home use I think they're wonderful since I don't expect to carry around and wear them down anyways.

The JDS element is another really nice unit. What is best about it is that it's a DAC/AMP combo (probably not the BEST if you want absolute performance) but in terms of form and function, its extremely convenient. It has an auto DAC-inline / headphone switch so that you can keep both your headphones in and an external speaker setup connected, and it'll automatically switch to the proper output depending on if you turn it on (headphone amp) or off (headphone amp off, DAC inline on). Plus the rotary knob is just stunning and so sleek, definitely appears classy on my desk. And its all in one unit!

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #4314 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 14:14:09 »
HE-400 or HE-400S?

I think I would go with the HE-400i, from all the reviews and comparisons I've read, it seems to be really similar to the HE-560 (I have that) and seems more well rounded. Plus it goes on sale for $300 often (crazy deal!), so I would wait for it to show up around then again :)

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #4315 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 04:59:12 »
Well, i finished doing the removable cable mod to my Dt-990s.

Perfectly fine, except for one thing.

At the SUUUPER low frequencies, (Im talking 15-20hz and Down), The left earcup starts making a buzzing noise that's really audible, however the right side does not do this.

Anyone know whats going on? Have i blown out the left driver? (it sounds perfect apart from this little anomaly)

Its completely livable since only 1 of my 100+ song playlist has such low notes, its such a itch that i cant scratch.

Is it possible that my soldering is ****?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4316 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 08:14:00 »

At the SUUUPER low frequencies, (Im talking 15-20hz and Down), The left earcup starts making a buzzing noise that's really audible, however the right side does not do this.

Anyone know whats going on? Have i blown out the left driver? (it sounds perfect apart from this little anomaly)

Its completely livable since only 1 of my 100+ song playlist has such low notes, its such a itch that i cant scratch.

buzzing just means that there is a vibration occurring.  The driver housing could be loose, or a component is reacting to a resonant frequency and vibrating on its own.  More likely that the housing is somehow not as secure as it should be.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4317 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 12:36:52 »
I'm still very happy with my current setup. Audeze LCD-2.2 paired with a Aune X1 MK2 amp/DAC. It would've been nice if the X1 had a high/low gain switch though. It really isn't designed with low impedance cans in mind which results in a very sensitive volume knob. I can only go to about the 10 o'clock position before I'm about to blow my brains out. Other than that it works like a charm.  ;D

Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #4318 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:42:29 »
Currently using Beyerdynamic Custom One pro and MSI D502, the mic on msi is starting to fail. and the beyer got problem with only hearing the lef side only, need to adjust the cable at headphones to get a clear sound on brro. how to check my beyer is not broken? and a good cable for beyerdynamic custom one pro is? thamls

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #4319 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 01:36:41 »
Demo'd the HD800 this weekend for the first time. I need them in my life. 

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #4320 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 21:03:43 »

buzzing just means that there is a vibration occurring.  The driver housing could be loose, or a component is reacting to a resonant frequency and vibrating on its own.  More likely that the housing is somehow not as secure as it should be.

Are you sure? When the left driver is outside of the cup, and i play music through it, it sitll makes the same buzzing/farting noise :l

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4321 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 21:31:25 »

Are you sure? When the left driver is outside of the cup, and i play music through it, it sitll makes the same buzzing/farting noise :l
I didn't know you had it outside of the driver like that.  I do know that buzzing is often caused by mounting issues, but maybe it's to the point where you should try to get another one to compare against or consider a different replacement.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #4322 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 02:29:02 »

I didn't know you had it outside of the driver like that.  I do know that buzzing is often caused by mounting issues, but maybe it's to the point where you should try to get another one to compare against or consider a different replacement.

I completely rewired the ground wire with some fresh wire i had laying around, and the buzzing's gone. Not sure what might've caused it, maybe my fiddling around with the mod stuffed up something on the ground, But lesson learnt i guess. Cheers anyway

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4323 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 04:23:27 »
Demo'd the HD800 this weekend for the first time. I need them in my life.
Heh, now you know why I ain't gonna part with mine ever again, even when I get the HEK.....the HD800, and the AKG K812, will be part of my permanent collection.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4324 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 04:41:14 »
I'd like a new pair of headphones to replace my dt770s

I'm thinking the Sennheiser HD-600 or 650, look comfortable and have a different sound than the beyers.

Also looking at some Grados, I think I like some super-aural more than circamural

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4325 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:44:46 »
noble needs to hurry up! :'(
I love Elzy

Offline vkulla

« Reply #4326 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 08:18:43 »
Bought a pair of German Maestro GMP 8.300D 5 month ago for roughly 100 Euro. I really like them so far and they saved me some bucks compared to the ath-m50x.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #4327 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 09:59:34 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:29:27 by Khers »

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #4328 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 13:12:00 »
Got my first pair of IEMs the other day, SE425s, and they sound excellent. Now I just gotta find some cables with a remote for when I'm on my bike :D

Show Image

My man, those things are the bomb.
Just wondering though, why wouldn't you just go ahead and pick up the se535?
IIRC it's not that much of a difference moneywise.

I bought a bunch of studio equipment from my friend who works at a guitar center, they were $150 (at cost) and the last ones in stock. They didn't have the SE535s otherwise I would have considered them. Overall though I'm happy with my purchase, I can use the dough I saved for some custom sleeves or something.

Have you considered getting some custom molded ear pieces made for these?
They are perfect when customized.

I am very interested in getting some custom molds, any recommendations?

The hearing aid dealer of your choice should be able to help you out if you ask him about it. Sorry for the late reply!

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #4329 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:34:20 »
Does anyone here know a good quality 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable that will last a while?

Maybe like 10-20 usd and the ability to ship to australia.

cheers.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4330 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:05:10 »
I decided to treat myself a little and upgrade my headphones. So, I jumped on the Fostex TH-X00 currently on Massdrop after reading a fair few positive reviews and comments about them. I guess these should be a solid upgrade from my current AKG K550, but I fear that my Audioquest Dragonfly might not be up to the job, at least not quality wise (from what I've understood, the TH-X00 are about as easy to drive as my K550 which can be run directly from a smartphone).

Hence; does anyone have a solid recommendation for a relatively inexpensive (I don't feel the need to burn significantly more on the amp/dac than I did on the headphones) amplifier (preferably an amp/dac combo, I dislike wasting space on my desk – also vertical) that suit the character of the TH-X00? I guess there are a couple of TH-X00 users on the forum; what are you driving yours with and are what do you think of them?

From my brief market research I've found two interesting products, the Chord Mojo (my god is that ugly though) and the (also Massdropified) Grace Design m9xx. Anyone having experience with those two? Or should I just continue with the Dragonfly?

I don't know about the Dragonfly, but the JDS Labs C5D is a fantastic little unit that should serve your needs well. Chord Mojo is over-rated from what I've read.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #4331 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:42:56 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:29:21 by Khers »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #4332 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:12:02 »
Never really used headphones more than my speakers so i tend to budget shop for cans.  Right now i have a set of JVC HA RX900 and for the price i paid they sound fairly decent really.  I mostly only use them if i game while the wife is asleep.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #4333 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 14:53:59 »
Right now I'm using a set of ath-m50x. They are far and away the best headphones I've had. Granted they are the first set that I've paid more than $100 for. I'm not sure what else I would get though. thinking I might invest in a DAC.
Biking is fun.

Offline UTommieTanka

« Reply #4334 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:52:11 »
edit:look below, looks like I can't post in the correct thread lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:56:16 by UTommieTanka »

Offline UTommieTanka

« Reply #4335 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:52:54 »
Anyone got some recommendations for a pair of headphones with a bit more bass than my HD558's?

These are em - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones-Technology/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459460964&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+558

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4336 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:53:16 »

You... Completely got both your posts mixed up lol
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline UTommieTanka

« Reply #4337 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:53:45 »

You... Completely got both your posts mixed up lol
Yeah lol! Going through them now and changing them xD

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4338 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 17:15:04 »
Anyone got some recommendations for a pair of headphones with a bit more bass than my HD558's?

These are em - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones-Technology/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459460964&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+558

For bass bliss, while I have not tried the newer versions, I love my pair of Sony MDR XB700 with their super comfortable "SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!" monster truck tire earpads. I've tried the ATH-M50X and I do not find the bass as impressive or enjoyable as that of the XB700.

Offline UTommieTanka

« Reply #4339 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 17:20:58 »

For bass bliss, while I have not tried the newer versions, I love my pair of Sony MDR XB700 with their super comfortable "SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!" monster truck tire earpads. I've tried the ATH-M50X and I do not find the bass as impressive or enjoyable as that of the XB700.

It'd be great if I could just drop £600 on a set of headphones lol. I was looking for more around the £200 mark :P

I did look at the ATH-M50X before getting my 588's but I hate earcups that sit on the ear.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4340 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 17:26:33 »

It'd be great if I could just drop £600 on a set of headphones lol. I was looking for more around the £200 mark :P

I did look at the ATH-M50X before getting my 588's but I hate earcups that sit on the ear.

Yeah, unfortunately the XB700 is a discontinued model so the ones you can find online tend to be really expensive.

The new line of XB Extra Bass headphones from Sony should have models that fit your budget. But as I have not tried any of them, I cannot speak to their performance. If they are anything like their predecessors, I think they'd be worth some consideration.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 17:28:12 by eksuen »

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4341 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 22:31:45 »
Right now I'm using a set of ath-m50x. They are far and away the best headphones I've had. Granted they are the first set that I've paid more than $100 for. I'm not sure what else I would get though. thinking I might invest in a DAC.
If your onboard, or soundcard or whatever external device you're using, gets loud enough for your M50X and can decode the music format you want (like FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc), then getting a DAC combo (a DAC with an amp section) would be a complete waste. Besides, from what I've heard, the M50X is quite efficient and can be driven well even from a handphone.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #4342 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 15:54:46 »
HD800s at home, 1964 Ears V6-Stage at work or traveling.
133007-0

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4343 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 04:14:38 »
Just paid for and collected my latest (and LAST!) headphone purchase, no more after this!

A pic of my new acquisition next to one of my fave.....

Offline UTommieTanka

« Reply #4344 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 06:15:55 »
Just paid for and collected my latest (and LAST!) headphone purchase, no more after this!
Show Image

A pic of my new acquisition next to one of my fave.....
Show Image

There is never a last purchase! Never! Nice headphones though  :thumb:

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4345 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 12:16:27 »

Good luck with that!  ;D

Awesome new set of cans, though. Congrats!
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4346 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 13:11:34 »
Been buying some "best for buck" headphones but all of them are under 50$. Have quite a few for different occasions.

Have Koss KSC-75 (Kramer modded) but can't use them outside home. Then I bought the Superlux HD668B because I wanted something bigger and the good reviews intrigued me. Good budget headphones but again - open design so can't use them in noisy surroundings.

So I needed an everyday in-ears and went with Sony XBA-C10. Oh man, probably the best IEMs I've had. The most comfortable for sure! But they're quite boring. Good sound but sometimes they're not "fun".

Yesterday joined Massdrop buy for Superlux HD562. Have been eyeballing Sennheiser HD25-II but well, I don't have 250$ to spend on them. So hopefully will have almost the same experience for 1/5 of the price. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 07:51:41 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4347 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 21:29:19 »
Quote from: UTommieTanka

Good luck with that!  ;D

Dangit, can't you guys be more supportive of a headphone junkie who's trying to mend his wayward ways?  ;D Is there a canoholic support group somewhere? All I can say is, if I fall off the wagon, it's all on you guys! :p

Anyway, I've got a great reason to stop buying cans......when you have enough cans to cover a table, it's about time to call it quits.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2016, 09:23:50 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4348 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 08:34:14 »

Good luck with that!  :D

Dangit, can't you guys be more supportive of a headphone junkie who's trying to mend his wayward ways?  ;D Is there a canoholic support group somewhere? All I can say is, if I fall off the wagon, it's all on you guys! :p

Anyway, I've got a great reason to stop buying cans......when you have enough cans to cover a table, it's about time to call it quits.
Show Image

That is a sweet collection you have there, my friend. You can never have too many cans!  :D

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #4349 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:10:42 »

Good luck with that!  ;D

Show Image

That is a lot of headphones.
Biking is fun.