Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316143 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4350 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 15:02:25 »
Quote from: UTommieTanka
There is never a last purchase! Never! Nice headphones though  :thumb:

Good luck with that!  ;D

Awesome new set of cans, though. Congrats!
Dangit, can't you guys be more supportive of a headphone junkie who's trying to mend his wayward ways?  ;D Is there a canoholic support group somewhere? All I can say is, if I fall off the wagon, it's all on you guys! :p

Anyway, I've got a great reason to stop buying cans......when you have enough cans to cover a table, it's about time to call it quits.
Show Image

Naaahhh keep telling that to yourself. You've just scratched the surface and you KNOW it brother!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4351 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:06:25 »
Quote from: UTommieTanka
There is never a last purchase! Never! Nice headphones though  :thumb:

Good luck with that!  ;D

Awesome new set of cans, though. Congrats!
Dangit, can't you guys be more supportive of a headphone junkie who's trying to mend his wayward ways?  ;D Is there a canoholic support group somewhere? All I can say is, if I fall off the wagon, it's all on you guys! :p

Anyway, I've got a great reason to stop buying cans......when you have enough cans to cover a table, it's about time to call it quits.
Show Image

Naaahhh keep telling that to yourself. You've just scratched the surface and you KNOW it brother!

It's a shallow scratch in terms of raw numbers but that's an endgame collection if ever I've seen one :eek:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4352 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:33:14 »
Bah, you guys ain't helpin' none! :p ;D Like I'd said, I'm being a good boy now, I've laid off the local forum For Sale sub forums, only things I'm getting soon is the HiFiMan HM901S + Dock 1 and a nice little portable tube amp in the Tube Amp BL2, in fact, getting the latter today!

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4353 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 07:19:39 »
Mmmmmm tubes....

I've only owned desktop tube amps, they're so deliciously warm!

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #4354 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:38:40 »
I have only had solid state amps. but my Asgard 2 gets quite hot lol.
TP4 fanboy

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4355 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:46:02 »
has anyone had the fortune to audition the HA5050H amp from AT?

if 6k drops on my doorstep by any chance, id probably grab one, it looks ****ing amazing

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4356 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 11:08:25 »
I'm rather enjoying this portable unit, need to listen longer to form any sort of opinion, but liking what I hear so far. It's very powerful as well, can easily be used as a desk/home headphone amp.....note the orange glow on the perforated part of the case.

Enjoying Queen with my Fiio X3 II + Tube Amp BL2 + HEK.....note that the volume know (if you can see it) was at about the 8 o'clock mark and it was loud enough for me. Though that isn't saying much as the HEK is quite efficient.

I tried the amp with my HE4 and HE500, it drove them easily at the 8 o'clock mark as well....

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4357 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 05:08:53 »
My first, and prolly last, high-end DAP........HiFiMan HM 901s + Dock 1

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4358 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 05:12:02 »
Makes me wonder.. I have SLR studio monitors but my TV-setup is mini jack / optic audio at best.

Is there a way to connect SLR monitors to TV / ps4? Or is the impedance / signal-to-noise really off?

In other words: how can I get the crisp and detailed sound of studio monitors out of my TV?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #4359 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 14:33:40 »
I am currently still using my old Sennheiser HD 558 I bought years ago. Had to resolder the contacts several times over the years and recently needed to replace the foam around the ear cups, after all that they still work. They where a significant step up form my old cheapo "gaming" headphones back then. They sound great and I am still very pleased with them, but since I listen to so much music, I will switch to the Sennheiser HD 650 sooner or later. I will need to find a decent AMP before tho, or buy a better sound card, probably the Asus Essence STX II.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4360 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:35:13 »
Was at the local IT mall to get a Deepcool monitor stand, but before I could make it up to the fourth level of the mall to buy it, I got distracted by a pair of KRK Rokit5 speakers which looked great and sounded pretty damn good. I ended up buying a pair.....buuuuut, I did remember to buy the monitor stand as well. With the stand, I can now slide one of my keyboards under it freeing up some desk space......always a good thing! ;)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4361 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 11:45:32 »
definitely in love with ciems. can't unhear newly heard details... but idk if my left seal is bad or if i'm just being picky. i have 30 days to return for refit :\ but dunno if I actually need to or not + extra money/time spent.
I love Elzy

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4362 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 11:55:55 »
Picked up these today with what looks to be the original pads (which have seen better days) and cable, which was taped around the headband and not working, so I've replaced it with some cheap steel hookup wire to keep them sounding as original as possible.  In need of a good clean and a proper recable, but they work!

Audio Technica ATH-0.5, very good when they were released in 1981 apparently...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #4363 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:01:03 »
Picked up these today with what looks to be the original pads (which have seen better days) and cable, which was taped around the headband and not working, so I've replaced it with some cheap steel hookup wire to keep them sounding as original as possible.  In need of a good clean and a proper recable, but they work!

Show Image

Audio Technica ATH-0.5, very good when they were released in 1981 apparently...

Aside from the wires that looks really cool. How do they sound?
Biking is fun.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4364 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 13:59:08 »
definitely in love with ciems. can't unhear newly heard details... but idk if my left seal is bad or if i'm just being picky. i have 30 days to return for refit :\ but dunno if I actually need to or not + extra money/time spent.

Told you, naga.  I keep getting the itch to get something new, but I don't know what.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #4365 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:23:30 »
TakeT H2+ and Trafomatic Audio T2+ @ home. Sennheiser Momentum Wireless @ work

Trafomatic Audio T2+ & TakeT H2+ by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

TakeT's are more or less head speakers. Big, needs custom amplifier or TR2 thats an transformer you connect between the H2+ and a normal power amplifier. Very open design... sound leaking in and out.

http://www.taket.jp/h2/h2.html

TA T2+ is a tube amplifier with 2xEL34 SET and 6s45p (custom made for H2+).

Trafomatic Audio T2+ by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.” (head-fi.org)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4366 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 20:09:27 »
Oh my! Very nice lookin' setup there! :thumb: I'd thought that the AKG K1000 was the only 'head speakers' type can available, the TakeT H2+ looks very interesting. But honestly, at that price level, I'd rather go for a K1000, maybe/prolly be cheaper as well.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #4367 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:28:35 »
some of ppl here really have an interesting (and scary) setup..

Show Image

why not AKs? 901s does sound very good, but i doubt about the longevity..
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #4368 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 07:27:54 »
New cans, AH-D5000  ;D

23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4369 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 10:24:15 »
New cans, AH-D5000  ;D

Show Image

Hey, 'grats on the purchase! As an owner of both the AH-D7000 and AH-D2000, I do believe you're gonna love it! :thumb: The Denons have great clarity, very good bass (a tad less tight on the D2000, but the D5000 should be good like the D7000) and something of a sparkle. Love mine!

some of ppl here really have an interesting (and scary) setup..

Show Image

why not AKs? 901s does sound very good, but i doubt about the longevity..
Nah, though the AK240/380 do sound very good, their pricetags can be a little off-putting. I'd gotten my HM901s and Dock 1 from a friend who's giving up his portable gear, so the price was right! ;D And yes, the SQ on the HM901s is pretty damn good, it has oodles of raw power as it can even power my HEK up to loud enough volume with headroom to spare.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #4370 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 11:04:37 »
New cans, AH-D5000  ;D

Show Image

Hey, 'grats on the purchase! As an owner of both the AH-D7000 and AH-D2000, I do believe you're gonna love it! :thumb: The Denons have great clarity, very good bass (a tad less tight on the D2000, but the D5000 should be good like the D7000) and something of a sparkle. Love mine!

Nice! Love them so far myself.

What DAC do you use with your Denons?

The sound card on my XPS 13 doesn't have any noise, but sadly it seems to generate some small crackles on some frequencies, which I never heard before using that pair of cans. Those crackles don't exist when I use my D5Ks on another source, which makes me pretty sure that it's coming from the Intel chipset.
That problem makes classical piano really bad to hear, for example :(

Do you have any zero noise DAC to recommend?  :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4371 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 20:50:36 »
Nice! Love them so far myself.

What DAC do you use with your Denons?

The sound card on my XPS 13 doesn't have any noise, but sadly it seems to generate some small crackles on some frequencies, which I never heard before using that pair of cans. Those crackles don't exist when I use my D5Ks on another source, which makes me pretty sure that it's coming from the Intel chipset.
That problem makes classical piano really bad to hear, for example :(

Do you have any zero noise DAC to recommend?  :)
Eh, I tend to use pricier DAC combo/stack for my cans, I've tried my Denons on my Oppo HA-1 combo, as well as on my Gustard X12 + H10 stack and the Denons do sound quite lovely, no hiss, crackle or pop at all. I play music - DSD128, DSD64, WAV, FLAC and MP3 - thru Foobar2k. You can try Schiit DAC and amp stacks, read very good impressions and reviews about them. I've already sold my Schiit gear, but I used to have the first gen Lyr and Vali, the latter despite its diminutive size was able to handle my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohms quite easily. Oh yeah, the Lyr did have an issue with noise floor I believe, with nothing playing, I did hear a soft hum (I'd to turn up volume a bit though, at the sane level I listen to, I don't hear the hum), either that, or my Lyr was faulty to begin with. :p

You can also read up on the JDS Labs Objective2, though at that price level, I'd rather look at a Schiit Magni + Modi (Gen2? Uber?) stack. Just took note of your XPS 13 reference, so you wanna use the DAC at home? Or portability is a factor? Oh yeah, you can consider the iFi iDSD Nano, great portable unit that does FLAC/WAV/DSD/MP3 well enough, adds a little warmth to the sound. I guess you can read up on them and I'm sure there're literally dozens and dozens of others to choose from.

BTW, there's a MD x HiFiMan HE-350, yes, a collaboration between MassDrop and HiFiMan. The Price? An amazing 99.99USD!!! :thumb:
It's not planar mag but dynamic can, it'd be a good introduction to the HiFiMan sound and a great entry level can for budding audiophiles.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350?mode=guest_open&referer=L6BWP6&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=%5BSpecial%5D%20HifiMan%20Customs%20-%20Audiophile&utm_term=4-26-2016%20HiFiMAN%20Audio
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2016, 21:07:32 by PadawanGeek »

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #4372 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 05:30:39 »
Eh, I tend to use pricier DAC combo/stack for my cans, I've tried my Denons on my Oppo HA-1 combo, as well as on my Gustard X12 + H10 stack and the Denons do sound quite lovely, no hiss, crackle or pop at all. I play music - DSD128, DSD64, WAV, FLAC and MP3 - thru Foobar2k. You can try Schiit DAC and amp stacks, read very good impressions and reviews about them. I've already sold my Schiit gear, but I used to have the first gen Lyr and Vali, the latter despite its diminutive size was able to handle my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohms quite easily. Oh yeah, the Lyr did have an issue with noise floor I believe, with nothing playing, I did hear a soft hum (I'd to turn up volume a bit though, at the sane level I listen to, I don't hear the hum), either that, or my Lyr was faulty to begin with. :p

Nice stuff that you have here! Why did you sell your Schiit stuff?

About the noise, it's pretty common with tubes, isn't it? I had the chance to test my D5K on some high-end tube amp at another audiophile place, and I really didn't like the sound (noise + too much treble). I'm not an expert though, but for now I'm only considering transistors. :)

You can also read up on the JDS Labs Objective2, though at that price level, I'd rather look at a Schiit Magni + Modi (Gen2? Uber?) stack. Just took note of your XPS 13 reference, so you wanna use the DAC at home? Or portability is a factor? Oh yeah, you can consider the iFi iDSD Nano, great portable unit that does FLAC/WAV/DSD/MP3 well enough, adds a little warmth to the sound. I guess you can read up on them and I'm sure there're literally dozens and dozens of others to choose from.

Yeah, everyone seems to advice the JDS o2, but for the price of the DAC+Amp combo, I'm not sure I want to order it without trying it before... and I doubt there's a single vendor in France. The Modi 2 + Magni 2 seems pretty good too, but might be a bit easier to try out somewhere, so I might go on that way.
I really like the fact that they both do support Linux officially, which doesn't seem that common for DACs.

Portability is half of a factor, in the sense that it's for work, and I don't really want to buy a 20 Kg amp, it must be small enough to be on my desktop. :)
I'm traveling with the laptop sometimes, but I think I'll rather take my Shure IEMs than my Denons, and the Intel cheapset will be good enough.

About the iFi iDSD Nano, this is the first time I hear about it. Going to take a look, but I'm not much into "warm" sounds, I prefer clean neutral and detailed sounds. Also, what to expect from a portable DAC? Is it really the same level of quality as a desktop DAC?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4373 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 05:31:16 »
im happy fostex is coming out with all this new **** but also kinda salty as a th600 owner lul
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4374 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 07:16:33 »
I didn't buy this, swapped my HE500 with some cash top up on my side for this badboy......

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4375 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 19:16:13 »
Well, I got my Superlux HD562 headphones and well damn! I'm not an audiophile by no means but these are favourite headphones ever. Probably the best I've bought so far in my little budget collection. Thought about getting a small USB dongle-sized DAC for a long time but finally went for the Fiio K1 DAC/AMP yesterday. It will be here around end of May and that will be my first DAC. Slowly but nicely making my setup bigger. :)

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4376 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 09:01:40 »
Nice! Heard great things about Superlux cans, haven't had the chance to rty one myself though. BTW, are those on-ears or over-ears? Looks to be on-ears to me.....

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4377 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 10:33:32 »
Yo, where can I get replacement pads for my th600?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4378 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 11:27:45 »
Yo, where can I get replacement pads for my th600?
Here you go, Brainwav Velour Memory foam replacement pads....
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO

You can check out other Brainwav pads here
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8?url=search-alias%3Delectronics-accessories&field-keywords=brainwavz+earpads&sprefix=brainwav%2Cundefined%2C700&rh=i%3Aelectronics-accessories%2Ck%3Abrainwavz+earpads

If you have a 110USD budget, the the Lawton Angle pads would do as well. Heard that you can fit Alpha Pads onto the TH600 as well, but you need to stretch it to fit. I have a pair of Lawton Angle Pads on my Denon AH-D7000, I don't find it hard/stiff as others have said it to be. But compared to the Alpha Pads, which are very soft and comfy, then yes, the Lawton pads comes off as being a little hard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 May 2016, 11:30:22 by PadawanGeek »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4379 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 11:38:03 »
Thanks! The fake leather on mine has started to peel :(

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4380 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 12:23:43 »
Thanks! The fake leather on mine has started to peel :(
No problemo! ;) I had the same peeling/flaking on my original AH-D2000.....that's why I hate fake leather! Anyway, I'd ordered and gotten a pair of Lawton Angle pads, took out the real leather (at least, I think it is as it's more resilient) pads on my AH-D7000 and replaced them with the Lawtons. I then took the pads that were on the AH-D7000 and put them on the AH-D2000 and could not be happier with the result....

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4381 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 14:08:56 »
Nice! Heard great things about Superlux cans, haven't had the chance to rty one myself though. BTW, are those on-ears or over-ears? Looks to be on-ears to me.....

Yeah, Superlux is a good choice for a budget audio enthusiast like me. These are on-ears though. Can't wear them for very long, max 1h sessions. I'm wearing glasses & the clamping force is huge so these were definitely not the best choice but the price and described sound signature lured me in. And I'm really enjoying them so far just would like to use them for longer periods of time. Maybe you know some technique or tricks&tips how to make on-ear headphones a bit more comfortable?

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4382 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 16:02:50 »
Yeah I was gonna get lawton pads for my th600 but i barely wear them now lol rip demik
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4383 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 16:34:32 »
Yeah I was gonna get lawton pads for my th600 but i barely wear them now lol rip demik

Will now with your broke ass nobles OnO

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4384 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 16:35:45 »

Will now with your broke ass nobles OnO

ur rite
I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4385 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 15:18:57 »
rip

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4386 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 05:27:01 »
was browsing minidisc at 2am this morning and saw grado sr80es marked at $0

don't have paypal so I told friend about it

fast forward to this afternoon and it turns out he only bought 1 pair for himself

and they removed grados from their website

****ing rip

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4387 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 15:40:27 »
The Sennheiser Orpheus powering on:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4388 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 01:03:48 »
Show Image

There's something powering on in my pants! Hubbahubba! That looks just out of this world sexy!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4389 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 03:17:21 »
Show Image

There's something powering on in my pants! Hubbahubba! That looks just out of this world sexy!
Yeah couldn't have typed it better myself. Holy moly!

I've got two I currently use. For home I have an Audio-Technica ATHPRO700MK2 I was recommended them by a friend in the medium range I think it was, am very satisfied with them.
For work I use a pair of SONY MDRXP950AP - an added perk of these is that I can actually use them while on the job as it recieves calls. I had no idea it did this when I bought them, saw them on sale and read a few reviews.
I'm not a really big audiophile, but I do enjoy nice crisp sound and a little bass doesn't hurt.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4390 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 00:08:26 »
Whoa, this thread needs to be revived! My desktop audio setup for two PC's, hence two sets of mice and keyboards. The Fostex HPA4 (below right side of monitor) is a DAC/amp for my PC on the right (not in pic, but believe me, it's there  ;) ), and also outputs audio via RCA to my Oppo HA-1 (bottom left). The Oppo acts as DAC and headphone amp for my PC on the left, as well as preamp for the Fostex. The Oppo is hooked up to the KRK Rokit5 G3 for those times I don't wish to use my cans.

Offline cheekbreek

« Reply #4391 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 01:20:13 »
I just got a pair of Philips SHP9500's for cheap online. I'm new to audio gear, but so far I quite like them.
They're really comfortable and have nice deep bass.

Although, if anyone could rec some cheaper closed headphones, I'd appreciate it cause the SHP9500's are open ear and I can't really use 'em in public.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4392 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 03:37:15 »
I just got a pair of Philips SHP9500's for cheap online. I'm new to audio gear, but so far I quite like them.
They're really comfortable and have nice deep bass.

Although, if anyone could rec some cheaper closed headphones, I'd appreciate it cause the SHP9500's are open ear and I can't really use 'em in public.

The Takstar Pro 80's can be found for cheaper and are quite good for the price. I say "can" because they aren't as widely available as some other entry level headphones out there and their price tends to fluctuate a bit, at least from Google searches. They also have a nice bass response. Incidentally, I have a pair in new condition that I've been trying to sell off for a while if you decide you are interested. Just shoot me a PM.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #4393 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 04:54:35 »
Work setup, all BT :)

HHKB BT by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

Sennheiser Momentum M2 with noise cancellation. Fits my head perfect, can wear these for hours.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4394 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 11:47:52 »
Sunny has my Nobles now so hopefully I get them back soon and have a good fit :P
I love Elzy

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4395 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:08:48 »
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PROs at a yard sale for $2. They're practically brand new.
I've never really gotten into headphones or quality audio setups.

I was wondering how you guys would rate these in combination with an SMSL SD793-II DAC/Amp?
right now i'm using an optical connection from my computer motherboard.

on a scale of frayed Apple headphones to the best possible setup imaginable

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4396 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:54:49 »
Sennheiser HD 280 PROs
More suitable for monitoring, good build quality, potentially uncomfortable.

If you like them, it's decent, say, mid-tier. But they may expose flaws in recordings and there are much more comfortable cans out there.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4397 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 13:14:32 »
Sennheiser HD 280 PROs
More suitable for monitoring, good build quality, potentially uncomfortable.

If you like them, it's decent, say, mid-tier. But they may expose flaws in recordings and there are much more comfortable cans out there.

Thanks!  im happy with mid-tier with my untrained ears.  better than bottom of the barrel.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4398 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 21:42:20 »
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PROs at a yard sale for $2. They're practically brand new.
I've never really gotten into headphones or quality audio setups.

I was wondering how you guys would rate these in combination with an SMSL SD793-II DAC/Amp?
right now i'm using an optical connection from my computer motherboard.

on a scale of frayed Apple headphones to the best possible setup imaginable
Whoa Nellie! Good score! :thumb: That SMSL unit can do up to 24bit/96kHz like my NuForce uDAC3. As long as it can handle your preferred  music formats and gets loud enough, then it's good enough,

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4399 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 01:54:47 »
Anedio D1

endgame reached as far as dac/amp goes. now, just need to upgrade from these dt990s.... i suspect I'll be doing a lot of auditioning in the future hehe