Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316146 times)

Offline ping111

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #1650 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:36:13 »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the EarPollution Mogulz DJ headphones?  They look to be of fantastic value, and some people tell me that they're some of the best in the world.
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #1651 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:42:03 »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the EarPollution Mogulz DJ headphones?  They look to be of fantastic value, and some people tell me that they're some of the best in the world.

Who's telling you that they're some of the best in the world? There are tons of better headphones out there.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline ping111

« Reply #1652 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 13:36:20 »

Who's telling you that they're some of the best in the world? There are tons of better headphones out there.
Well, the best in the world as an exaggerated point. 

To find the quality of a product, I usually try and find percentage reviews on products, and use that as the divisor, the price, the dividend.  The greater the answer, the better the product.  The average percentage on the Mogulz was about 85, so 85/70=1.214.  That's a really good rate.  My current phones, Bose AE2's, are 80/135=0.592.
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1653 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 13:46:57 »
At that price point, you're better off with something like the Sony MDR-V6 or the CAL
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1654 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 04:49:20 »
I currently have this set-up.

Sennheiser HD 518's (I like them, I only use them every once and a while though)

Sound Blaster Fatality (ehh....)

Swan M50's (Would buy another pair just for the novelty. They are that good)

I want to improve my current audio-setup (For music, gaming is 2nd)
Now, I mainly use my speakers because they are pretty much beast as, but I want to get the most out of my headphones.
So, I was hoping to get a DAC/AMP combo which would allow me to output the improved signal to speakers plus provide me with a headphone amp that is better than the soundblaster one.

I was thinking of the Audio Engine D1, it seems popular and is in my price range. <$200

But then I wasn't sure if I would use TOSLINK or USB.
And I have no idea if the soundcard would be worth it after I get this, because my Motherboard has a digital output.

So basically, what should I get/do to improve this setup?

(I use FOOBAR with FLAC files which I rip myself, if you're wondering.)
If you care about retaining gaming audio support (hardware-accelerated OpenAL and DirectSound3D-with-ALchemy, EAX, that sort of thing), I'd suggest an external DAC with S/PDIF input (NOT USB, that's basically an external sound card in and of itself), connected to the X-Fi via Toslink. Also, if you're really picky about audio quality, set it to Audio Creation Mode, enable bit-matched playback, and use a media player with an ASIO plugin.

Still, I'd prioritize upgrading your headphones and speakers before anything else if you really want to hear a difference.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #1655 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 02:28:47 »
I've been trying to decided between a senn hd650 or a HE-400 Planar forever but I can't seem to pull the trigger on either.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1656 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 06:29:36 »
I've been trying to decided between a senn hd650 or a HE-400 Planar forever but I can't seem to pull the trigger on either.

They're both quite different. Would be best if you could try them both out. I'm trying to trade my T70 for a he-400 to try out. I'll let you know if i manage to get a pair.

Offline emptyk

« Reply #1657 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 10:44:25 »
Just picked up the Sennheiser PX 100-II headphones as a somewhat lo-fi and affordable portable solution for my laptop. I didn't do my normal online research before buying them, other than looking at a few "thumbs up" reviews. I know they won't sound as good as my HD-650 headphones, but I'm still curious. Does anyone have any thoughts on the PX 100-II?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1658 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:24:13 »
Just picked up the Sennheiser PX 100-II headphones as a somewhat lo-fi and affordable portable solution for my laptop. I didn't do my normal online research before buying them, other than looking at a few "thumbs up" reviews. I know they won't sound as good as my HD-650 headphones, but I'm still curious. Does anyone have any thoughts on the PX 100-II?

They're portable and okay sounding, but they don't isolate and leak noise so you might be tempted to turn up the volume to compensate. Honestly, I would rather get IEMs cause they provide better isolation and sound quality then the PX 100-II imo. But if you're not into using IEMs and want a cheap portable, then it's a good choice.

Other on-ear choices would be v-moda m80, sennheiser hd-25-ii, and sennheiser amperiors. Out of them, I would go with the refurbished amperiors for looks, sound quality, and portability.

Offline emptyk

« Reply #1659 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:34:00 »

They're portable and okay sounding, but they don't isolate and leak noise so you might be tempted to turn up the volume to compensate. Honestly, I would rather get IEMs cause they provide better isolation and sound quality then the PX 100-II imo. But if you're not into using IEMs and want a cheap portable, then it's a good choice.

Other on-ear choices would be v-moda m80, sennheiser hd-25-ii, and sennheiser amperiors. Out of them, I would go with the refurbished amperiors for looks, sound quality, and portability.

Thanks. I should have clarified that my budget was less than $50.00 and that I was looking for something open (other than a Grado) and non-IEM (I already have two sets of IEMs). These are basically going to be tossed around in backpacks and drawers, used by kids, and most likely lost or broken within a year. So I didn't want to drop $200 plus on better options. The Amperiors look sick, by the way.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1660 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:39:27 »

Thanks. I should have clarified that my budget was less than $50.00 and that I was looking for something open (other than a Grado) and non-IEM (I already have two sets of IEMs). These are basically going to be tossed around in backpacks and drawers, used by kids, and most likely lost or broken within a year. So I didn't want to drop $200 plus on better options. The Amperiors look sick, by the way.

Koss PortaPro.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1661 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:48:23 »
Koss PortaPro.

For once, I agree with you. They do like to tug on hair though.

Offline emptyk

« Reply #1662 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:11:45 »
It was actually a toss-up between the PX 100-II and the PortaPro. I found the Sennheiser for less, and that was the deciding factor. That said, I kinda like the quirky retro look of the PortaPro. I might get those just for the hell of it. One can never have too many headphones.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1663 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:23:05 »
At that price point, you're better off with something like the Sony MDR-V6 or the CAL

MDR V-6 with velour  beyerdynamic replacement pads are the bee's knees
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1664 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 09:26:58 »
Purchased a used LFF Parafox modded t50rp last night. Time to see what a modded t50rp is all about. Hoping it'll arrive by Saturday so that I can play around with it during the weekend.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #1665 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 10:06:11 »
Got a ath=a900x but need something with a little more bass. Any recommendations >
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1666 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 10:07:49 »
Got a ath=a900x but need something with a little more bass. Any recommendations >

Budget? And what will you be playing your music out of?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #1667 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 11:39:17 »

Budget? And what will you be playing your music out of?

MAX of like $250ish. Playing from the PC. Thought about getting a amp but not 100% sure yet.

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1668 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 12:57:37 »
For ampless usage, I'd recommend the HD598 or he-300. Both of those should have more bass than the A900x, with the he-300 having the most out of the three. If you were to purchase a amp, I would recommend you to look into the dt770/80ohm pro or the dt990/250ohm pro. All of those fit nicely within your budget. If you are sensitive to treble though, then stick with the hd598 or he-300 or make use of an EQ to tame the treble.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1669 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:07:43 »
And boost, since you're in NYC, you can try the dt880 and dt990 at B&H, as well as many other headphones there. B&H has a great 30 day return policy, with no restocking fees. AC gears has the hd598 if you want to try that out as well.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #1670 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:47:49 »
Thanks. Will check those out

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1671 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 14:53:53 »
Purchased a used LFF Parafox modded t50rp last night. Time to see what a modded t50rp is all about. Hoping it'll arrive by Saturday so that I can play around with it during the weekend.

If they're as good or better than my mad dogs... you will enjoy :3
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1672 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 21:45:56 »
And boost, since you're in NYC, you can try the dt880 and dt990 at B&H, as well as many other headphones there. B&H has a great 30 day return policy, with no restocking fees. AC gears has the hd598 if you want to try that out as well.

DT880 and DT990 have almost non-existent bass impact.  Drums sound like drum noises, not drums.  Same with AGK K701/702.  I don't think I've heard the DT770, but the DT880 is almost always recommended over the three at 600 ohms.  The DT990 has more bass than the DT880.

Oh yeah, I need to say something positive too because that's what people like.  The HD600/650 have much much better  bass.  Bose AE2 (bracing myself for: OMFG BOSE=Buy Other Sound Equipment/Better Off with Something Else HAW HAW HAW) also has good bass, and same with the Denon AH-Dx000s.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 21:48:25 by PointyFox »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1673 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 21:56:35 »
My friend came over with his dt990/250 pro and I found it to have more bass impact than the hd600. The dt880 is lacking bass impact, but it still has more bass than the a900x at least.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1674 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:02:04 »
My friend came over with his dt990/250 pro and I found it to have more bass impact than the hd600. The dt880 is lacking bass impact, but it still has more bass than the a900x at least.

I think I had the dt990 before I got the HD600.  You could be right.  But I did have the dt880 at the same time as the hd600 and it definitely had less; at least the 600 ohm version anyway.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #1675 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 12:41:27 »

They're both quite different. Would be best if you could try them both out. I'm trying to trade my T70 for a he-400 to try out. I'll let you know if i manage to get a pair.

That'd be great, I really wish I could try them locally =(

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1676 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:39:22 »
That'd be great, I really wish I could try them locally =(

Where do you live? You'd be able to try both of them if you lived in NYC. Im sure there are places in California that have them too. If not, there are lots of comparisons on line that you can look at, such as this one. It all really depends on whether you would prefer the presentation of the hd650 or the he-400. The hd650 is a much more laidback headphone than the he-400. Also the he-400s are much easier to drive compared to the hd650.

If you can, buy used off of the head-fi classifieds and if you don't like them, you can re-sell them for a minimum loss.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1677 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:42:49 »
I wanted to get into headphones...but then i found keyboards xD
no money to buy a decent set of cans

..someday..

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1678 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:49:00 »

..someday..

It doesn't cost much to get decent sound. That being said, if the NYC GH meet gets going, you could try out my headphones and setup.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #1679 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:55:53 »
I live in Oregon so that's pretty slim picking haha. I've looked around on head-fi but never pulled the trigger on anything.

I bought a V-MODA Crossfade LP2  awhile ago and I absolutely love them. That being said you should prob try an ad700 when you can Dubsgalore those are pretty amazing and comfortable for their price.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1680 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:04:42 »
I live in Oregon so that's pretty slim picking haha. I've looked around on head-fi but never pulled the trigger on anything.

I bought a V-MODA Crossfade LP2  awhile ago and I absolutely love them. That being said you should prob try an ad700 when you can Dubsgalore those are pretty amazing and comfortable for their price.

If you liked the LP2, I think you'll definitely like the hd650 much more than the he-400. The LP2s have a rolled off treble that is much more similar to the hd650's treble than the he-400's.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #1681 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:09:26 »
Oh nice, thanks for your advice. I was a bit worried about the he-400 since it looks huge I was worried that I'd look so goofy with them on.

What kind amp/dac would you suggest? I have a Fiio e9 at the moment

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1682 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:18:59 »
Mmmm.. I can bring my Pimeta and dt770/250s
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1683 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:19:54 »
The Fiio E9 will do a fine job at driving the hd650 since it is a high impedance headphone. A good dac to start out with would be a Schiit Modi for just $100 + shipping. The fiio e7k (docked into the E9) is a decent option if you want something that you can also use portably, but it will not perform as well as the Modi.

Now if you're looking for something more refined than the entry level amps and dacs, then you'll have to spend a bit more money.

@$245, the Little Dot MK III was my first desktop amp. It did a great job in driving my dt880/600 but I no longer have either of them. Lots of tube rolling options here, though I feel like the Asgard 2 is a better buy.

@$250, the Schiit Asgard 2 is a wonderful solid state amp that will power traditional dynamic headphones, orthos, and IEMs. It also has a pre-amp out feature if you wish to use powered speakers in your setup. Ultimately I returned the Asgard 2 as I preferred the Little dot MK IV SE.

@$280 (pre-built, cheaper if you DIY), the Project Sunrise 2 is a hybrid amp that gets praised by the people who use it. I have a friend that has it, and I found that its performance wasn't too far off from the Little Dot MK IV SE. Lots of tube rolling options here too.

@454, the Little Dot MK IV SE is the best amp that I've owned so far. It improves upon the MK III and I preferred it over the Asgard 2 when used with the hd600/650 and Beyer t70. The MK IV SE seemed to bring out more sub-bass than the Asgard 2, smoothed the treble a little, and made vocals sound a bit better.

There's also the Schiit Valhalla and Lyr, but I haven't heard those so I wont comment on them.

As for dacs, just stick with the Modi imo. Your money is better spent towards a amp at this point.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:36:19 by thegunner100 »

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #1684 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:33:25 »
Yea I tried an e7 awhile ago and it was pretty underwhelming, thanks I'll look into the modi.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1685 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:34:54 »
Got Sennheiser HD 565 today. With new cable and earpads. Unfortunately the headband pad was in disgusting condition, thus I've just thrown it away, and I'm using the cans with a DT770's cushion pad. This is my major concern right now, because those headphones are quite heavy—I'd prefer some clamping force (which is basically non-existent here) rather than pressure in the middle of my head. Also, it feels like quite the opposite of ATH-AD500: it's really around the ear (my auricles don't touch the drivers at all), pads fit perfectly on my head, but the headband...

I've read that sound should be very similar to HD 580, which was replaced by HD 600... differences are said to be rather small without a good amp. Sounds like a great deal! I haven't tried any open sennheisers recently, hence I can't really compare though. I've been impressed mostly by decent bass so far.

BTW that rough grey plastic looks ugly.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:36:26 by davkol »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #1686 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:53:07 »

..someday..

It doesn't cost much to get decent sound. That being said, if the NYC GH meet gets going, you could try out my headphones and setup.

that would be a cool idea! xD
using a steelseries headset and onboard audio...so basically it's just comfy right now haha

i would like to get into the hifi (headfi?) community soon
i listen to a lot of edm haha

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1687 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:04:19 »
Head fi was hurting my wallet more than keyboards ever did. I'm perfectly content with my setups now so I try to stay away from looking at more stuff. I have a short list of things I'd like to have, but there's no way I can justify some of those prices at this point in my life.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1688 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:17:55 »

..someday..

that would be a cool idea! xD
using a steelseries headset and onboard audio...so basically it's just comfy right now haha

i would like to get into the hifi (headfi?) community soon
i listen to a lot of edm haha

Just beware! It's a trap. I already have six pairs of headphones at this point (and planning to get IEMs and probably two amps), and you may find yourself listening to sounds rather than music.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #1689 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:22:44 »
i actually kinda want to get into headphones and audio...but I right now I want to focus on satisfying my keyboards needs...which seems endless right now

a friend suggested to me 'Sony MDRv6' headphones...so i think i will save up for them now!

of course after i buy my poker 2 and preorder dolch ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1690 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:28:30 »
i actually kinda want to get into headphones and audio...but I right now I want to focus on satisfying my keyboards needs...which seems endless right now

a friend suggested to me 'Sony MDRv6' headphones...so i think i will save up for them now!

idk what kinda edm you listen to but if it has a decent amount of low, heavy bass then don't get the mdrs.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1691 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:34:55 »
I'd go with the Creative Aurvana Live instead for EDM, the MDR-V6s have more treble and less bass.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #1692 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:39:40 »

idk what kinda edm you listen to but if it has a decent amount of low, heavy bass then don't get the mdrs.

lot of drumstep, progressive and melodic house, and trance

I'd go with the Creative Aurvana Live instead for EDM, the MDR-V6s have more treble and less bass.

shall take a look

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #1693 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:44:34 »
:O Massdrop just put up Beyerdynamic DT 880

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1694 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:48:16 »
:O Massdrop just put up Beyerdynamic DT 880

Not bad... I hope they allow for the 600ohm though. You could get a used dt880/600 for about $220ish used, shipped.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #1695 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:50:56 »
Yea the lowest tier is $219 new too bad only 250 ohm one....

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1696 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:52:55 »
Mdrs would be fine for house and trance. I'm not too familiar with drumstep though. Am I right in saying it's a mix of "dubstep" (note "s) and the drums from drum & bass? If so then the mdrs would be fine. They're just bad when it comes to low, deep bass like this.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:55:21 by Photekq »
github

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #1697 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 17:11:27 »
Yea the lowest tier is $219 new too bad only 250 ohm one....

Lowest is tier is $249 + shipping actually =/

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1698 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 17:13:46 »
Mdrs would be fine for house and trance. I'm not too familiar with drumstep though. Am I right in saying it's a mix of "dubstep" (note "s) and the drums from drum & bass? If so then the mdrs would be fine. They're just bad when it comes to low, deep bass like this.

Just listening to that track on the Turtle Beach X12, with the "bass" adjusted all the way up...   :p

I have got to get a different hobby.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1699 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 17:15:33 »

Just listening to that track on the Turtle Beach X12, with the "bass" adjusted all the way up...   :p

I have got to get a different hobby.
Were you even able to hear that bass on the turtle beaches? If so then I'm genuinely surprised! I find that song to be an amazing test for headphones since most bad headphones can barely pick up the bass on it.
github