Author Topic: Can anyone decipher if this lube will apply to plastics safely?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline fateswarm

http://www.eco-servicesrl.it/a_ITA_335_1.html

It's the only one available here  :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Can anyone decipher if this lube will apply to plastics safely?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 16:26:22 »
Looks like it's animal fat based and if Google Translate is correct, it appears to be for applications that are mechanical and metal. I cannot figure out if it will be ok with plastics.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 21:43:02 »
I wouldn't use anything organic based on a keyboard, even if it didn't react with the plastic.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 01:30:23 »
It uses the word synthetic though.

What is worrying is that often I don't see on products "ONLY synthetic" (or implied to be that) or "only mineral" so I don't know..

It won't matter much since I start suspecting lubricating plastics won't ever be perfect, unless switches are made from metal:P

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 19:06:00 »
You can swap the language to English at the top, (Scegli la lingua) but even in English it doesn't totally say it is all synthetic, only that it uses synthetic raw materials. Generic own-brand is a risk, as even if you buy something that works, the next tube may be different stuff. Brand names are some protection from that.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 03:32:38 »
Yes it's vague and abstract. It could be partially synthetic or all synthetic, nobody knows without being a chemistry expert or a professional I guess.

I used it on a brown key I rarely use for testing and it reduced the 'plastic friction' sound and feel considerably (even though I suspect it's impossible to remove it completely due to the nature of switch materials). It doesn't increase the force needed to press it, though I'm sure many have the placebo it does when they first lube a key.