Author Topic: Many things to learn still....have questions  (Read 3229 times)

Offline 40yroldnerd

Many things to learn still....have questions
« on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 00:25:26 »
Wow I am a little overwhelmed at these mech keys, but they are cool. I am into limited custom things.  I have a poker 3 arriving, what keycaps best match the oem ones on there? 
What are some quality caps I could get that would be a little more colorful with same profile?  The ones I want are all sold out via the web and group buys :(

Thanks!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Many things to learn still....have questions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 07:55:31 »
Probably those Gateron dyesubs I see floating around. They're pretty close. Originative sells them and I have a set. I like them.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 08:12:56 »
Not sure what exactly you're after, but WASD Keyboards has a pretty good selection. You can also build a custom keycap set with tons of color options.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 08:26:43 »
Probably those Gateron dyesubs I see floating around. They're pretty close. Originative sells them and I have a set. I like them.
Those are great caps but they aren't the same profile as stock poker caps are they?

Offline 40yroldnerd

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 11:20:06 »
Thanks for the replies guys....I am a little older so what really appeals to me are keys with the SA profile, reminds me of the old school mechs.....but it's pretty much impossible to find.

Anything out there that comes close to this?  I see some ppl selling them mechmarket, but I can't quite bring myself to spend that much yet, plus wifey would shyt.   I am hoping a nice GB with SA shows up soon.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 12:34:23 »
Thanks for the replies guys....I am a little older so what really appeals to me are keys with the SA profile, reminds me of the old school mechs.....but it's pretty much impossible to find.

Anything out there that comes close to this?  I see some ppl selling them mechmarket, but I can't quite bring myself to spend that much yet, plus wifey would shyt.   I am hoping a nice GB with SA shows up soon.

There really aren't any other caps that compare to SA keycaps from Signature Plastics. A few companies are working on their own versions but nothing is currently on the market.

SP recently sold some PBT dyesub sets directly and should eventually restock. You can sign up for notifications on their website.

There are also always group buys running for SA profile it is very popular right now. The thing with group buys is they take a really long time and you have to be careful who you do business with. Always pay with paypal goods if at all possible and keep an eye on the 180 days deadline and you should be ok.

With all the sets out now or coming soonish I think you'll eventually see lots of sets in the classifieds, hopefully for decent prices and not all marked up.

From your initial post I thought you wanted to accent your current board with other caps that are the same profile.

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 12:39:34 »
Just to elaborate on what SpAmRaY said, the PBT dyesub sets in the SA family that Signature Plastics began selling recently are uniform row3 profile only. They aren't sculptured rows like most SA sets. I find that uniform R3 sets work nicely on small boards like Pok3rs, so this might not be a drawback for you either.

Also, Signature Plastics is so backed up with SA group buy production that any new group buy that starts up now (or next month like will be the case for SA Dasher/Dancer) won't actually see caps shipping to customers for several months.

Having said that, SA keycaps are definitely worth the wait. SA is my favorite keycap family. If you can't wait, you might try doing what I did last year and scour the classified threads of this forum and Deskthority for people selling SA sets they don't want anymore. That's how I scored PuLSE and Round 4 SPH.

Offline 40yroldnerd

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 19:01:24 »

There really aren't any other caps that compare to SA keycaps from Signature Plastics. A few companies are working on their own versions but nothing is currently on the market.

SP recently sold some PBT dyesub sets directly and should eventually restock. You can sign up for notifications on their website.

There are also always group buys running for SA profile it is very popular right now. The thing with group buys is they take a really long time and you have to be careful who you do business with. Always pay with paypal goods if at all possible and keep an eye on the 180 days deadline and you should be ok.

With all the sets out now or coming soonish I think you'll eventually see lots of sets in the classifieds, hopefully for decent prices and not all marked up.

From your initial post I thought you wanted to accent your current board with other caps that are the same profile.

Well, like you said, they take a while to get the GB sorted and shipped so I just wanted something stock to tide me over.  Thanks for the info.

Isn't SP Plastics doing a monthly SA release? I am waiting for the November set.  See if I like it. Are there any pics of upcoming monthly releases,  or is it hush-hush till they are released?

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 19:23:01 »
So far they've had two of their new dyesub PBT SA sets released. Bear in mind that they are uniform row3, which may not be quite what you're expecting from SA.

They also only sell 100 units of each set, so you have to jump on it very quickly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 20:57:55 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 21:58:35 »
The K-series Devlin caps are uniform row3 also, aren't they?

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 00:30:51 »
Wow I am a little overwhelmed at these mech keys, but they are cool. I am into limited custom things.  I have a poker 3 arriving, what keycaps best match the oem ones on there? 
What are some quality caps I could get that would be a little more colorful with same profile?  The ones I want are all sold out via the web and group buys :(

Thanks!
I am a little sorry to bother you.Recently, I post an thread in the Interest Check area. They are PBT and Dye-Sub. But many  guys don't like OEM profile. so, I think most of our member like Cherry profile . But you said you want get some OEM keycap. Maybe, you can have a try https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85403.0