Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 296373 times)

Offline fatpolomanjr

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:43:30 »
This. Oblivion+Grey base & Git+Hagoromo base with a mono mod kit and color accent kit would be :thumb: I'd personally set aside money now and buy all 4 of these sets when it drops. It would also allow a full Hagoromo mono set to be built with only 2 kits like Oblotzky was initially wanting.

I would eat my hat if this happened, since I'm solely interested in Git+Hagoromo and monochrome mods, with a possible side of Assembly for planck and Ultimate Hacking Keyboard shenanigans.

Though without a hagoromo alphas kit this puts Assembly and Base users at a slight disadvantage if they wanted hagoromo alphas, since now they'll have to spend a bit or a lot more on an extra set of git mods. Depending on price breaks and MOQ and all that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:47:25 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:45:19 »
But in this case, if there is a git base kit v2 (git base mods + hagoromo alphas) should have same cost as currently proposed git base kit. This should quite down some discontent for those who already grey alphas from other drops.

This. Oblivion+Grey base & Git+Hagoromo base with a mono mod kit and color accent kit would be :thumb: I'd personally set aside money now and buy all 4 of these sets when it drops. It would also allow a full Hagoromo mono set to be built with only 2 kits like Oblotzky was initially wanting.

Then what about people that want Git with Oblivion Alphas? They'll have to buy a base kit just for those then.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:04:54 »
But in this case, if there is a git base kit v2 (git base mods + hagoromo alphas) should have same cost as currently proposed git base kit. This should quite down some discontent for those who already grey alphas from other drops.

Then what about people that want Git with Oblivion Alphas? They'll have to buy a base kit just for those then.

Tbh, the general consensus I can gather is that most people in this thread want og mods. Also, we're already going to have to buy 2 base kits for some combinations anyway and then have duplicate grey mod sets.

Also, I'll happily sell my Git mods to anyone who just wants those btw.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:05:53 »

I would eat my hat if this happened, since I'm solely interested in Git+Hagoromo and monochrome mods, with a possible side of Assembly for planck and Ultimate Hacking Keyboard shenanigans.

Though without a hagoromo alphas kit this puts Assembly and Base users at a slight disadvantage if they wanted hagoromo alphas, since now they'll have to spend a bit or a lot more on an extra set of git mods. Depending on price breaks and MOQ and all that.

Okay, I expect an eaten hat if it happens ;)

Offline upas

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:08:18 »

Tbh, the general consensus I can gather is that most people in this thread want og mods. Also, we're already going to have to buy 2 base kits for some combinations anyway and then have duplicate grey mod sets.

I want git Mods, and I hope they stay in the base kit. I don't think general consensus is that OG mods are preferred. Usually its those who aren't happy who post.

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:14:00 »
I prefer the OG colored mods over the Git mods, but would be happy with them being a separate kit instead of replacing the Git on the base kit
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:14:29 »

Usually its those who aren't happy who post.

Exactly. As I’ve said before, current base set (gray alphas + coloured Git mods) is perfect. It represents the Oblivion color scheme in the most accurate way. I mean, the set is called “Oblivion” for a reason, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:16:15 »

I want git Mods, and I hope they stay in the base kit. I don't think general consensus is that OG mods are preferred. Usually its those who aren't happy who post.

There's 6 pages with people asking for og mods (amoung other changes) and a Reddit post with he same sentiment.

Alternatively I'd also be happy with Git+Grey and Oblivion+Hagoromo. I just want the option to buy og mods.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:33:14 »
I’d prefer og colored mods, not git. But if it turns out to be git then so be it.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:58:34 »
I'd much rather see GIT mods than OG, it is more to the theme of the set.

I'm also skeptical about two base kits, as you are alienating people who want both mod types (which I think plenty of people want). I honestly think it could go something like this:

- git base w/o numpad support
- numpad kit
- monolegend mod kit
- hagoromo alphas kit
- assembly
- cadet alphas
- Spacekeys

I don't know what the interest is like for the alternative F row kit, but the vast majority of people use a pretty standard color scheme for their Frow's on builds and such. As for the 6u spacebar kit, Im not sure if it is worth an extra kit to support a fairly rare layout.

Just my two cents.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #310 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:01:51 »
git fetch bad-opinions

git mods pls, anything else is wrong

Offline mimalik

« Reply #311 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:09:33 »

Another kit, with Git + Oblivion Alphas, perhaps. I know it will be very diffcult to find the right balance. If cost is not too high, I think just the a separate git mod kit will solve all the problems, where one can choose their versions of mod+alphas+other kits.

Offline Wicky

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:12:51 »
Why are there people against having colored regular mods? Most of the people that want colored regular mods seem fine with it being a separate add-on kit which doesn't affect the base. How does this hurt those that want colored git mods? Unless it truly is a one or the other decision which would be quite disappointing.

I just want the option for colored regular mods somewhere. I don't mind paying more. :(
Pok3r RGB | Planck | Lightsaver v3 | HHKB Pro 2 | Rama Koyu | Lubrigante | TGR Alice | Unikorn | Unikorn Poly | Thermal | KFE CE | 7v | Pandora | Viper v3 | Moment r0 | Bias r2

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:13:02 »
I favor git mods too, but I think I've made that pretty clear from the start.

Is there an issue with offering original mods as part of a standalone kit? It would be costly for those that want them, but I feel like original mods had their time in Oblivion V1; now it's git mods turn in V2, so anyone wanting OG mods should understand having to pay more for a kit. Git mods also fit the theme better, as mentioned by others. I would suggest making a poll, but then I pause, because git mods should be part of the base kit in this round no matter what. It can be an informative poll, but should not affect the end decision regarding keeping them in the base.

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:59:59 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:14:47 »
I would also prefer having git mods in the base kit, instead of colored or gray mods.
Git mods fit perfectly with the theme of this set.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #315 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:18:40 »
git fetch bad-opinions

git mods pls, anything else is wrong

Haha. git commit -m "Git mods belong in the base, not in a kit".

Why are there people against having colored regular mods? Most of the people that want colored regular mods seem fine with it being a separate add-on kit which doesn't affect the base. How does this hurt those that want colored git mods? Unless it truly is a one or the other decision which would be quite disappointing.

I just want the option for colored regular mods somewhere. I don't mind paying more. :(

I'm not against having colored regular mods, just not at the expense of git mods in the base kit.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:25:34 »
If you're keeping the gray alphas for the monochrome kit, it would be really nice to have the red accents back. Doesn't look like Honeywell unless you're considering swapping the gray alphas for hagoromo alphas on the monochrome kit.

+1 for red accents back
I'd say also remove the blue from base. Put red, blue, add hagoromo versions, and ISO versions in a color pack.

Imo, the base should be gray, with text accents doing the differentiation (like real code...).

...On the off chance you see this message, amidst the other 50, is it possible to run a "True Oblivion" kit with Red and Blue accent keys, and non-git colored mods?

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #317 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:44:09 »
Because there's been some back and forth discussion about the legends, I did some spreadsheeting for anyone looking for a summary as of this post:

21 people have expressed specific interest in normal, colored R1 legends
15 people have expressed specific interest in Git legends
9 people have expressed specific interest in the Git legends as a separate kit, mostly as an add-on for R1 buyers.  1 of these people overlaps in the group of 15.

This is not counting the broad support and enthusiasm from all others who presumably are happy in some way with the current kit offerings.

I think it's reasonable to say that interest for Git legends and "normal" R1 legends are fairly equal at this point.

Offline omjak

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:49:25 »
Because there's been some back and forth discussion about the legends, I did some spreadsheeting for anyone looking for a summary as of this post:

21 people have expressed specific interest in normal, colored R1 legends
15 people have expressed specific interest in Git legends
9 people have expressed specific interest in the Git legends as a separate kit, mostly as an add-on for R1 buyers.  1 of these people overlaps in the group of 15.

This is not counting the broad support and enthusiasm from all others who presumably are happy in some way with the current kit offerings.

I think it's reasonable to say that interest for Git legends and "normal" R1 legends are fairly equal at this point.

This is also supported by the sales numbers of the SA profile.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:12:32 »
Love the passionate opinions and involvement of everyone so far, lets hope that Oblotzky is able to make everyone happy, if not....que sera sera

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:33:29 »
As long as the git mods are available in some form I'll be happy.

If those mods were split off then having two sets, a "classic" base set with the original mods, and a monochrome set might make more sense too. If I'm buying another base set and the git mods separately I'd definitely rather have the monochrome base + git mods than the "classic" base, since it gives me a lot more unique keycaps that I don't already have.

For people that missed the original groupbuy and mainly want the set for the color scheme and not the unique git mods then the option for classic set would make sense, and they could always buy the git mods kit if they wanted too.

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:57:41 »

Is there an issue with offering original mods as part of a standalone kit? It would be costly for those that want them, but I feel like original mods had their time in Oblivion V1; now it's git mods turn in V2, so anyone wanting OG mods should understand having to pay more for a kit. Git mods also fit the theme better, as mentioned by others. I would suggest making a poll, but then I pause, because git mods should be part of the base kit in this round no matter what. It can be an informative poll, but should not affect the end decision regarding git mods in the base.

This is my favorite solution.

+1 git mods

Offline Lndefinite

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:08:49 »

Is there an issue with offering original mods as part of a standalone kit? It would be costly for those that want them, but I feel like original mods had their time in Oblivion V1; now it's git mods turn in V2, so anyone wanting OG mods should understand having to pay more for a kit. Git mods also fit the theme better, as mentioned by others. I would suggest making a poll, but then I pause, because git mods should be part of the base kit in this round no matter what. It can be an informative poll, but should not affect the end decision regarding git mods in the base.

+1 git mods

Git mods +1 for me as well. If you want an set with normal colored mods, then go buy a R1 set on r/mm.

Offline omjak

« Reply #323 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:20:36 »

+1 git mods

+1 git mods

Git mods +1 for me as well. If you want an set with normal colored mods, then go buy a R1 set on r/mm.

This is not a competition, people want orig mods to be offered ALSO (NOT INSTEAD.)
Based on Oblotzky's responses, it's safe to say that the Git mods are staying...in the base.
And if it's costly for somebody else, it shouldn't concern you.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:21:58 »
+1 for git mods for me too. Not having those would almost be a dealbreaker for me.

I really like the cadet alphas, especially Hagoromo cadet. I’d also love to see a Vim kit, although I totally get that you’ve already got quite a lot of kits, and want to avoid another Carbon R2. 

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:39:27 »

+1 git mods

+1 git mods

This is not a competition, people want orig mods to be offered ALSO (NOT INSTEAD.)
Based on Oblotzky's responses, it's safe to say that the Git mods are staying...in the base.
And if it's costly for somebody else, it shouldn't concern you.

But this is an IC for Oblotzky to get community feedback so it kind of is. If everyone who wanted git mods stayed quiet then he might assume most wanted og oblivion mods. That's why I made my statement.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:47:20 »
What would putting normal colored mods on the Hagoromo alphas do to kit prices? I know it would create 3 base sets but if they are $119 each, then it would be better than having a git or normal colored mods kit that costs $80

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:52:01 »
What would putting normal colored mods on the Hagoromo alphas do to kit prices? I know it would create 3 base sets but if they are $119 each, then it would be better than having a git or normal colored mods kit that costs $80
I'm also curious about this. I asked a similar question in the Skidata IC and he said he'd look into it.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #328 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 17:07:06 »

This is what I'd like to happen personally. I'm not that fond of Git mods, but I recognize the need for them to be in this run. I'd very much like to have a Hagoromo+Oblivion mod base and a Grey+Git base and then just move monochrome to a mod set rather than a full base set.

Offline omjak

« Reply #329 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 17:18:30 »
Running multiple base kits is risky because of MOQ, and price breaks.  To get a price of 119 per set means a lot of purchases of that particular base kit.  It's tough to say what is the buyers price elasticity, though the makers and MD probably have a better idea than rest of us.  Many of us spend hundreds to thousand+ dollars on keyboards and key sets (every year,) suggesting the prices should not matter that much (in this super premium market) and at the same time many will opt out from sets that they feel are not worth spending $200+ on kits to achieve the end result they want (I'm guilty of it too.)  It's a tough decision for the makers; but it's their baby, they'll make it how they want it.  It's important not to get too emotionally attached to the sets :)

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 17:39:00 »
Running multiple base kits is risky because of MOQ, and price breaks.  To get a price of 119 per set means a lot of purchases of that particular base kit.  It's tough to say what is the buyers price elasticity, though the makers and MD probably have a better idea than rest of us.  Many of us spend hundreds to thousand+ dollars on keyboards and key sets (every year,) suggesting the prices should not matter that much (in this super premium market) and at the same time many will opt out from sets that they feel are not worth spending $200+ on kits to achieve the end result they want (I'm guilty of it too.)  It's a tough decision for the makers; but it's their baby, they'll make it how they want it.  It's important not to get too emotionally attached to the sets :)

There are already 2 proposed base sets though, and oblotzky seemed to want to reduce child kits. That's is why I was trying to consolidate them into 2 base sets without duplicate alphas. I'd definitely prefer to have one base set with child kits though if that's in the cards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 17:41:11 by Ensaum »

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 21:27:44 »
I would definitely be in for a ~$120-$150 base set.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 22:13:02 »
Yeet

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 22:55:28 »

This is what I'd like to happen personally. I'm not that fond of Git mods, but I recognize the need for them to be in this run. I'd very much like to have a Hagoromo+Oblivion mod base and a Grey+Git base and then just move monochrome to a mod set rather than a full base set.

This is my ideal scenario as well. There would be 3 bases, but this is looking popular enough to not matter. And while less price drops would be achieved, it's seems like it's already going to be pretty reasonable to begin with. Having the option to pair Oblivion mods with either Hagoromo or Grey alphas (not at the expensive of a Git mod base, but in addition to) would be very nice.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #334 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 23:13:53 »
Sounds like some sort of consensus among a few of us is being reached here, and we're down to two competing options: a secondary base kit that includes original oblivion mods, or a standalone oblivion mod kit. I'm F5'ing this thread like crazy to see everyone's ideas; seems we all care about Oblivion a lot. (:

Just please no more requests to remove the numpad from the base or hagoromo kits like wtf...

Offline mac2

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 23:23:01 »
Take my money

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #336 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 23:36:40 »
Sounds like some sort of consensus among a few of us is being reached here, and we're down to two competing options: a secondary base kit that includes original oblivion mods, or a standalone oblivion mod kit. I'm F5'ing this thread like crazy to see everyone's ideas; seems we all care about Oblivion a lot. (:

Just please no more requests to remove the numpad from the base or hagoromo kits like wtf...

It would be boring to repeat V1 and GIT mod missed out in V1, so GIT mod first definitely.
What comes next is not as clear.  I like the current second base set with Monochrome mods - these are stunner in person.  Rendering/Photo doesn't do justice.  That said, I can see why people want color mods too.  It seems like one more child kit is in order.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 00:08:35 »
This is my ideal scenario as well. There would be 3 bases, but this is looking popular enough to not matter. And while less price drops would be achieved, it's seems like it's already going to be pretty reasonable to begin with. Having the option to pair Oblivion mods with either Hagoromo or Grey alphas (not at the expensive of a Git mod base, but in addition to) would be very nice.

There doesn't need to be 3 base sets. Just Grey+Git and Hagoromo+OG. I'm proposing to just have a monochrome mod kit rather than a full monochrome base set. One of the reasons Oblotzky wanted to have a monochrome base set was so that people could make Mono+Hagoromo with just 2 kits. This can still be achieved with the sets I listed as well as a Mono+grey alphas set.

Edit:
- So these two base sets

- And a monchrome mod kit like this from r1
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 00:45:02 by Ensaum »

Offline omjak

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:04:33 »
 :thumb:

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #339 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:25:42 »
That's pretty good, because the alternative is to keep all three base kits as they are, with a hagoromo child kit and an original oblivion mod child kit. Then you need to buy two child kits if you want hagoromo and oblivion mods, and you still won't have the navigation cluster, numpad, and arrows unless you get a base kit on top of that. One can make the argument that this round should not have cared much about standard oblivion mods, so it's ok for anyone wanting that specific combination to have to pay more. But at an apparent 50/50 split in preference between those and git mods, that solution might alienate some buyers.

Another option is to make hagoromo part of the monochrome base kit, in which case anyone that wants hagoromo alphas needs to buy the monochrome base kit. The end result is potentially having a bunch of excess monochrome mod kits on the aftermarket, but that's not terribly different from Ensaum's suggestion, where instead you might have excess git or standard oblivion mods on the aftermarket. I'd argue it is easier to sell off either of the colorful mods, especially with a set of alphas you don't want to keep from the one of base kits, since others might look at a monochrome base kit on mechmarket and not be able to tell or care for the difference between it and Honeywell or Dolch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:31:13 by fatpolomanjr »

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #340 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:46:48 »
I agree with the folks proposing -

* Oblivion alphas + Git mods
* Hagoromo alphas + Monochrome mods (w/ red + blue accents)
* Separate colour mods for those who want them.

I mean the set was inspired by code, so let the default be code!

Offline peggisan

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 02:50:47 »
In for Hagoromo + assembly. Hagoromos coming with mods just makes it worse for people who want to use it on ortho boards.

Also vimkeys please

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 03:32:01 »

There doesn't need to be 3 base sets. Just Grey+Git and Hagoromo+OG. I'm proposing to just have a monochrome mod kit rather than a full monochrome base set. One of the reasons Oblotzky wanted to have a monochrome base set was so that people could make Mono+Hagoromo with just 2 kits. This can still be achieved with the sets I listed as well as a Mono+grey alphas set.

Edit:
- So these two base sets
Show Image

Show Image

3 base kits sounds like a no tho
and what about the people who want a hagoromo assembly kit ???

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 03:42:13 »

Edit:
- So these two base sets
Show Image

Show Image

Ahh I see, I misread the first time. I do very much like this solution though.

Offline moltenmuffins

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 06:43:49 »
TAKE MY MONEY

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 06:51:49 »

Edit:
- So these two base sets
Show Image

Show Image

I've considered this before but as already said, this will not happen because it forces people to buy a whole second base kit to get the opposing alphas color (e.g. Git + Hagoromo or Assembly + Hagoromo requires 2 base kit purchases). As said, I focus on the average buyer, and that is a person that wants to fill a single keyboard with one colorway, and with the current kit split, the 'worst case' is buying one base (Git/Monochrome/Assembly) and one separate alphas kit (Hagoromo). It can't really get better than that other than splitting up everything into just mods and just alphas, but that's not going to happen in a GMK group buy of mine until they magically reinvent their production pipeline to make that affordable.

Also update coming tonight-ish. I haven't decided yet if it's a galaxybrane or shooting-myself-in-the-foot kinda change, need to evaluate all factors more.

Offline 1023andy

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 07:06:30 »
So.. there won't be a base kit with gray alphas and original colored mod right?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 08:29:38 »

Correct. I will see if I can introduce regular colored mods, but it won't be as another base kit or replacing the git base.

Offline 1023andy

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 08:58:55 »

Correct. I will see if I can introduce regular colored mods, but it won't be as another base kit or replacing the git base.

How much would it cost approximately?

Offline omjak

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 10:55:03 »

I think many people would be happy with that