Author Topic: What is the worst keyboard youve ever used  (Read 36442 times)

Offline LEGITBALLIN

What is the worst keyboard youve ever used
« on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 15:45:39 »
mine is the g81-1800  it feels like you are typing  on apiece of wood, solid, but it feels like garbage, the only good thing about it are the doubleshots that come with it which you should rip off imedietly and throw away the board.
V-tec just kicked in yo\'

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 16:32:04 »
For me it would be the current units HP ships with their PCs. Depressing silver slab of plastic.
Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 16:41:06 »
Funny you said the G81. I had a MX 8100 that just flexed like crazy and felt like ass.

Probably not as bad as the hideously warn RD on the receptionists computer though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 // Logitech M570 Trackball // Topre Realforce 23UB

Offline NinetyOne

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 16:46:35 »
Razer Lycosa easily.

Offline delgo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 17:14:08 »
Saitec Eclipse easily, mushiest keys ever, couldn't see keys, weighted less than the bubble wrap it came in, slid around the desk like a pro Russian ice skater. Need I say more?
(I think it goes without saying that I was young, stupid and naive when this board was purchased...)
KB\'s: Filco TKL MJ2 Ergo Clear/Brown Swedish ISO, HHKB white blank, IBM Model M 1990 ISO
On the way:  Phantom!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 17:15:46 »
Virtually Indestructible Keyboard.

For one that I've actually used connected to a machine, I think I'll go with the Latitude D600/D610 keyboard. Mushtastic!

Offline kps

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 17:18:48 »
Early Volker-Craig keyboards in terminal rooms at university. Stiff and prone to bounce and fail.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 18:15:34 »
 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 02:37:54 by davkol »

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 18:49:17 »
Quote from: jkercado;473357
For me it would be the current units HP ships with their PCs. Depressing silver slab of plastic.
Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

+1

Offline Nighted

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 18:59:06 »
This:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35386[/ATTACH]
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Clickey

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 19:07:11 »
Touchscreen keyboards.

But if you only include moving part keyboards, I agree with the OP, cherry MY are the sh*ttiest of the sh*t. You would be very hard pressed to fine a rubber dome worse than an MY.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline Unkas

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 19:20:54 »
Quote from: NinetyOne;473367
Razer Lycosa easily.

I am with you on this one. If you hit the keys from an angle that **** jammed there and wouldn't go down. the enter key was the worst since it was wobblier than dubstep and almost impossible to press.

Only good thing about the Lycosa is that it infuriated me enough to make me consider paying more money than I'd usually want to for a keyboard and get a superior mechanical. (And I kind of liked the audio jack in the keyboard to be honest except the awkward placement of it.)

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 00:49:17 »
Quote from: ripster;473483
Reminds me, I need to do some lube experiments on that.
Someone make sure to take this out of context.

Pink ALPS Dell that's sat in a server room collecting dust for 10 years.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline purple_haze

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 02:11:46 »
Quote from: Nighted;473471
This:

(Attachment Link) 35386[/ATTACH]

i would have to agree with Nighted, I hated that key with the passion when we were using it at the pharmacy. I mean what the ****, so what if its waterproof we are ****ing counting pills yo and not having a water party.
Das Keyboard Silent S MX Browns | Filco Majestouch 2 MX Browns | Filco Majestouch MX Blues TKL

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 03:24:16 »
Quote from: Nighted;473471
This:

(Attachment Link) 35386[/ATTACH]

I agree, onlything worse I can imagine is some which there is no tactile response at all, and no movement...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline senndhaboex

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 04:08:55 »
$4 portable flexible silicone keyboard. I've done with stupid "innovative" designs.

Offline bbbbqq

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 04:26:32 »
Saitek eclipse

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 09:14:51 »
The older black rubber domes that came stock with Dell computers around 2004. The modifiers and space bar were difficult as all hell to press down.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Ghostpixel

• I <3 Topre!
    • Elliot Ghost Photography
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 10:14:36 »
That "china buckling spring copies" board i bought at a flea market. It was really worn down but i just grabbed it :) Bad idea and half of the keys was hard to even press down at all, hehe. And on top of that it had arabic on the keys cluttering it up making it hard to see the normal text.
REALFORCE 88UB / APPLE AEKII [mod.] / MX REVOLUTION / QPAD HEATON XXL

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 11:22:23 »
Most touchscreen and foil keyboards I used...
Also the ALPSulator used as keypad, "CHA-CLANK PIIIIING!" (plus no auto-repeat).

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 11:36:43 »
That would be low profile, but not scissor switched, rubber dome Samsung keyboard my parents were given as a free extra while doing some computer related shopping few years ago (I think around 2005). It should still be somewhere in basement and i will make some pics and maybe even video of this piece of poo. It was absolutely impossible to type on that without making typos as keys were not registering if you didn't hit it in middle and bottom out, they were also sticky, sometimes locking up pressed. Disgusting.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline andrewjoy

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 06:13:17 »
HP KU-0316 nasty nasty nasty rubber dome goes shiny in a few months more force to start moving the key than to bottom out horrid horrid keyboard

( i am trying this on it now in work and am jut about ready to scream)

Offline powruser

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 06:22:34 »
Worst I've ever used was my previous iHome rubber dome keyboard. Total trash.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 07:37:34 »
Packard Bell - I can't remember the model number but it was an ancient foil and foam, and the foam had broken down to grit.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 12:14:35 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;475103
Packard Bell - I can't remember the model number but it was an ancient foil and foam, and the foam had broken down to grit.

I've heard many people say the old Keytronic foil and foam keyboards were crap, but I've got a Victor 9000 keyboard from 1982 and I'd list it as one of the best keyboards I've tried. Maybe Keytronic later changed the foam materials or something to a cheaper version that felt worse and failed quicker.

Offline HairyTroll

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 12:42:23 »
ZX Spectrum.  Followed by the keyboard from a Commodore SX-64.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 13:05:42 »
Apples latest Bluetooth cordless shiny flat tiny offerings you can find at Apple stores

... and the never of the sales assistant "Would like a keyboard and mouse with your Mac Mini Sir!"

NO!
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline ktkr

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 13:07:33 »
Quote from: jkercado;473357

These.  Seriously.  It's pretty sad for a keyboard to stand out as **** among free/cheap OEM ones.

Offline George7

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 17:38:37 »
I used to have a Wave as my main board (and I still use one at work) and I didn't find it that bad. Whilst the key feel admittedly wasn't great, the position was fantastic for me. They changed the key feel a lot for the newer version (450), I'm not sure if I prefer it, but it wasn't great in the first place so...

The worst I've ever used is probably a well worn Microsoft 4000 (that crazy split board). Really nasty thing.

Offline andrewjoy

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 05:19:39 »
Quote from: ktkr;475301
These.  Seriously.  It's pretty sad for a keyboard to stand out as **** among free/cheap OEM ones.

yep thats the one, the black one with the silver at the top.

The all silver ones with the card reader are not as bad

Offline fireball87

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 05:30:13 »
Easy, http://oldcomputers.net/ts1000.html

The Timex Sinclair.

Nothing beats writing basic code on a Sinclair, I'd rather do it on my touch screen only cell phone.  Heck, I'd rather do it with a stylus keyboard ala a 90s windows mobile phone.

Offline Mayor Winters

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 06:59:11 »
Inves RD in the COBOL degree lab, its just like trying to talk some african language underwater.
The more keyboards we have, the more keyboards we want.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 07:24:49 »
Commodore PET.

1/4 sized keys and man sized hands don't mix!

http://oldcomputers.net/pet2001.html
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 08:55:05 »
I learned to code in BASIC using an IBM PCjr, with the amazingly stiff and unresponsive chiclet keyboard:

Luckily, my dad realized this was a piece of junk, and as soon as the newer keyboard was introduced, he got one:

Which, by the way, would be cool to be able to find one and make it work with a modern PC. :becky:

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 09:03:49 »
Quote from: ripster;475813
The older one was wireless though.

Like my Apple Aluminum.  Nice keyboard the Apple Aluminum Wireless.

Oh, the newer version was wireless too, but you could plug it in also. I never liked the IR aspect--the novelty wore off in a couple of weeks (and I was 13). Both keyboards shared the same basic internals as far as I know, but somehow the 2nd version improved the feel a lot. Like, you could actually type on it.

You have no idea how many COMPUTE! program listings went on my keyboard...Ah, the memories.

Offline hemflit

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 12:14:35 »
Counting only modern day things that at least pretend to be keyboards, I've actually used this (notice the brand, too):
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35682[/ATTACH]

Not counting touchscreen, membrane and chiclet keyboards.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 14:35:04 »
I have two of these HP boards.  KB-0316.

They have a nice weight to them, but after a while they just wear and suck.  This is the keyboard I'm using which made me look for the mechanical dream.  It's the standard board that comes with their business PCs.  It's better than the nasty cheap consumer $10 board, but not much.
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline dimoniy

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 16:52:31 »
Onscreen keyboard
Tt eSPORTS MEKA G1 | Das S Pro Silent | Leopold FC500RR/AB
All of them full-size. I love my numpad!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 17:54:29 »
HP's silver and black keyboards vary a lot. Certain ones are decent as far as rubber domes go (the sole SK-2880 I've used, another one whose name model number I can't recall), and others are terrible (KB-0316, SK-2885).

HP SK-2565 was pretty bad - the keycaps were pretty wobbly and key feel was mediocre, and the space bar had binding issues. This seems pretty typical of late 80s-early 2000s Silitek boards though.

Apple's pre-chiclet white keyboard was also pretty terrible, especially when dirty (e.g. in a public environment).

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 20:22:18 »
Quote from: harrison;475112
Second only to those nasty rubber mat keyboards, it's a well used Logitech Wave keyboard.

Show Image

This is was the last straw for me.  It was using this keyboard that put the nail in the coffin for me buying my first  mechanical.  The keyboard made me want to cut my fingers off.  And that was AFTER I fully dissembled it, and washed it out.  It was used by a previous co-worker who left for another team.  I stole his discarded Performance MX mouse and Wave keyboard... the keyboard had to go.

My roommate prefers his to any of mine. He says he likes the ergonomics. I can't wait to see his review of a kinesis when I finally get one.

For me, it's the bottom-end logitech one I used daily before I found the model M in the attic. The keys are pretty worn.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: What is the worst keyboard youve ever used
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 08:46:03 »
By far, the hp ku 0316. This lad sucks. Absolute sucks.  I do not like it at all and it is clacky, loud and annoying. I destest this with my robloxian soul a lot. People type so slow on this thing and it makes an ugly clacking sound. Keep in mind that i’ve never typed on cherry mx nor a mechanical switch, just tested out the arrow keys for cherry mx blue in a store. You have to press it so hard that it’s not even funny, and it is made out of cheap plastic.
My school board purchases this because it’s only 15 bucks. Even worse, look at the customer reviews, saying it’s great when it’s really not.. ;)

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 13:05:51 »
By far, the hp ku 0316. This lad sucks. Absolute sucks.  I do not like it at all and it is clacky, loud and annoying. I destest this with my robloxian soul a lot. People type so slow on this thing and it makes an ugly clacking sound. Keep in mind that i’ve never typed on cherry mx nor a mechanical switch, just tested out the arrow keys for cherry mx blue in a store. You have to press it so hard that it’s not even funny, and it is made out of cheap plastic.
My school board purchases this because it’s only 15 bucks. Even worse, look at the customer reviews, saying it’s great when it’s really not.. ;)

The plastic Apple Aluminium clone? My school has these, and while I hate them too.. if you think that's a bad keyboard - have you tried a HP PR1101U? Or even worse - a worn KB 0316?

Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 17:11:37 »
Thread necromancy and double post in a single post, yay!

I can't decide what keyboard is actually the worst, so here are many keyboards in different categories:

Worst keyboard I use on almost daily: HP PR1101U.
Rubbery, flimsy, stiff, ISO. 500g of plastic. Feels like typing on breast implants. Very dry and hollow breast implants. The desk vibrates when you type on it. It's fairly responsive, as if you don't need to mash the keys everytime I press a key. You can't use it as a weapon. And it's not even that cheap (20 bucks retail price).
Honorable mention: Genius KB-110X. Same as above, but it's horribly spongy and is actually reasonable priced (only 200% the manufacturing cost, instead of 500%)

Worst keyboard I have at home: A4Tech KD800L. It's a chiclet (or at least the chiclet clone where there are no key stabilizers. Speaking of key stabilizers - after a year of use the Enter is the wobbliest I've seen. It's like 5 degrees when you look at it wrong. And 10 degrees if you type on it.

Worst keyboard I've ever laid my hands on: Tie between some brandless wireless keyboard, an Apple Wireless Keyboard and. The first is cheap, flimsy and feels like typing on an actual kitchen sponge. Kitchen sponge covered in rubber. AWK is expensive, kinda study, feels nice to type on... but I can't type on it because it's a chiclet.
Honorable mention: Post-2014 Razer Blackwidow, because someone at Razer thought that a linear ear buster (Razer Green) is an amazing idea.

Honorable mention: Logitech K120. If it weren't for the actually quite good typing feel, I'd not recommend it to someone who "just wants a keyboard" and shelling out 30 bucks for a Masterkeys Lite L is too much for him/her/it. Flimsy build quality (as in light and all plastic, but at least it has actual screws in them) and still quite expensive (20 bucks for ISO model because everyone and his mother complains about ANSI),
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2018, 17:17:23 by frydaja »
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline FurudoErika

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 22:05:36 »
Razer BlackWidow v2.

I returned it 4 times, and asked for money back after the 5th one.

The first one had several 'sticky' switches that were hard to press unless you had the finger exactly on the middle. The second one had several weird keys where the cap felt like 'falling' to the left or right on bottoming out, even though both the keycap and the switch visually looked fine. Third one had a very weird spacebar that literally hurt the finger on its 'spring-back' movement. Unless I removed the finger after pressing the spacebar instantly, I got a strong 'shock' back - wasn't present of the first 2 boards. The fourth had #1 and #2 issues combined.

The fifth was bent. Initially I noticed that it wobbles on the desk, and later tried to actually check the back side for bends, and it was horrible:

Returned it for money, bought a Corsair K95 Platinum, got a bit disappointed by it too, now waiting for my local store to get the latest TKL Leos and Varmilos to make the final choice.

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 00:31:20 »
The Smart Keyboards on the iPad Pro are pretty bad and probably rank among the worst I've used, although I suppose for what they are they get the job done.

Offline rvr1982

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 03:22:22 »
Cherry Stream 3.0, for ~20€.
After just one week, the escape key broke out and escaped.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 15:26:18 »
Has anyone tried one of those projection keyboards?

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 16:08:00 »

For me, its this abomination. Chiclet, horrifically pad printed crap with the most diseased bottom row of all time

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 16:44:12 »
As far as mechs.. I was pretty bummed the first time I tried stock topre (hhkb). THEN I tried 55g domes with purple silent sliders and fell in love.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 17:31:49 »

Yeah, I can agree with you. i’ve Typed on a worn one before.

The plastic Apple Aluminium clone? My school has these, and while I hate them too.. if you think that's a bad keyboard - have you tried a HP PR1101U? Or even worse - a worn KB 0316?