Author Topic: Help with a keyboard for my dad  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Error213

Help with a keyboard for my dad
« on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 10:21:57 »
Hello, my dads bday is coming up soon and I wanted to build him a keyboard. However he is very picky with what he wants.
He needs a 100% w/ media keys (mute fast forward etc) and here’s the kicker a built in rotary encoder it’s hard enough to find a 100% build kit much less one with all the stuff he wants, and no they can’t be on a macro pad. Idk why

Offline Altain

• Formerly zungzangbi
Re: Help with a keyboard for my dad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 10:32:18 »
as far as I can tell I can't recall a custom board with all the mechanics you mentioned. I can only suggest a Razer keyboard that has dedicated media keys with a volume rotary.
Maybe suggest him to split up the keyboards? Ex) 75% with encoder plus 8 or 10 keypads. 

Offline Error213

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 10:36:26 »
as far as I can tell I can't recall a custom board with all the mechanics you mentioned. I can only suggest a Razer keyboard that has dedicated media keys with a volume rotary.
Maybe suggest him to split up the keyboards? Ex) 75% with encoder plus 8 or 10 keypads.
yeah sadly it can’t have an external numpad/macropad it has to be all in one keyboard

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 11:16:11 »
Any 1800s that are rotary encoder friendly?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 11:27:36 »
Are you looking for a 100% board with (4?) extra dedicated media keys above the numberpad or are media keys on a layer ok?

I vaguely remember a really cool little PCB that fitted a rotary encoder in place of a switch on any board but searching my posts failed to find anything so it might have been one of my annoyingly realistic dreams which I cannot separate from reality.  If it does exist it might be useful here, though if you want dedicated media keys not sure where it would fit.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 12:43:55 »
Definitely does not exist. 

better off just handing him a better report card, way easier.

If you wanted the rotary, you'd need to use a custom firmware, cut a very nice hole on the top shell, Solder a rotary encoder onto the PCB,  Glue it,  Then whittle a plastic tube insert of sorts into it.

This is an immense amount of handiwork, and don't say 3D printing, cuz 3D printing looks like garbage except for the $200 prints you buy online done on deposition printers.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 12:44:56 »
Are you looking for a 100% board with (4?) extra dedicated media keys above the numberpad or are media keys on a layer ok?

I vaguely remember a really cool little PCB that fitted a rotary encoder in place of a switch on any board but searching my posts failed to find anything so it might have been one of my annoyingly realistic dreams which I cannot separate from reality.  If it does exist it might be useful here, though if you want dedicated media keys not sure where it would fit.
This is close:  https://keyhive.xyz/shop/uno-single-key-keyboard

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline Error213

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 21:28:33 »

uhh yeah either one works

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 21:49:17 »
You won't get anything off the shelf (other than an old programmable Focus battleship board using tweaked macros).
You can often get a few dedicated buttons but they are not mechanical or MX and not a great board in general or you can get a decent TKL with a volume knob, but you won't get anything decent with everything. Besides the fact that trends have been towards smaller boards for some time, you also have covid making finding even normal stuff difficult these days.

You could do it with custom plates or a 3d printer, some hand wiring and QMK, but that's about the only way to get this.  You would still have issues with matching keycaps, for that check WASD, they can make some caps with proper legends.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 23:44:53 »
264166-0  :p

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 02:39:42 »
(Attachment Link)   :p
I stand by my comment about nothing decent having those features.

I'm not saying say it was a terrible board but it wasn't anything great while in it's prime and now you have to tack on it's age.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 09:47:53 »
I stand by my comment about nothing decent having those features.

I'm not saying say it was a terrible board but it wasn't anything great while in it's prime and now you have to tack on it's age.

The plate's nice and thick and I have had a total of 0 problems with it in 6-7-ish years of ownership and daily use that couldn't be chalked up to obscene levels of deferred cleaning, which were all resolved by cleaning the board once every few years. I don't think I've even cracked this one open. What more do you need to make a great keyboard?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 00:09:17 »
My thoughts are if it gets 5 years you got your money worth regardless and I personally liked some of the features.

I think people really didn't care for the aesthetics, bland was trending as a response to all the gamery crap entering the market and this was just more of it (RGB has has had backlash as well). This was also one of the first higher end boards out of a lower end(?) factory and the price at the time certainly didn't help (it was quite high). None of that necessarily makes it bad today but at the time it certainly did. I seem to remember a few issues with them as well but my recollection may be off, I didn't own it so I only caught passing remarks.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 04:31:52 »

6 week year old shine through caps that still have legends?  What type of black magic do you practice...

Has a wonky bottom row but if you don't need to replace the caps that's much less of a problem.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 07:14:06 »
6 week year old shine through caps that still have legends?  What type of black magic do you practice...
I kind of wondered about that myself.

The caps aren't so tough to replace so long as you aren't into GMK or doubleshot PBT.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 07:32:23 »
The caps aren't so tough to replace so long as you aren't into GMK or doubleshot PBT.
That 1.5-1-1.25-6.5(?)-1.25-1-1-1.5 bottom row is not covered by a standard set and if that is a 6.5 spacebar as maths suggests even GMK isn't going to save you.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 09:21:06 »
My thoughts are if it gets 5 years you got your money worth regardless and I personally liked some of the features.

I think people really didn't care for the aesthetics, bland was trending as a response to all the gamery crap entering the market and this was just more of it (RGB has has had backlash as well). This was also one of the first higher end boards out of a lower end(?) factory and the price at the time certainly didn't help (it was quite high). None of that necessarily makes it bad today but at the time it certainly did. I seem to remember a few issues with them as well but my recollection may be off, I didn't own it so I only caught passing remarks.

This board literally flexes less than a 1980s Model M, since that's apparently a thing for some people, and the Model M is somehow considered a durable design in spite of the plastic rivets. K70s are tanks.

K65 and K70 look industrial to me. Their aesthetics are what I love the most about them. People didn't like the legends on the original caps, for whatever that's worth. I think I got mine new for around $120 or so, which is a way better value than this KBP V80 I'm typing on right now in terms of material quality.

I have heard reports of problems with them, I have yet to find a board that has any though, even though I have stacks of them I have purchased used, just like Matias boards (I did find one old Matias board with Forward-made switches that chatter ... that is all so far). Maybe there was a period of QC issues? I haven't been able to pin it down, if it exists and wasn't just a handful of issues that were all reported by the loudest consumers.

Has a wonky bottom row but if you don't need to replace the caps that's much less of a problem.

That's another one of the problems people would report with some of these boards. I have mentioned it in another thread that I recently cleaned this board again and since I had all of the caps off anyway, I swapped to some nice Chinesium doubleshots I got for cheap on Aliexpress. I could get some good pictures of the original cheap lasered caps. I used them almost daily for 6-7 years. They're shined like a mirror but the legends are unchanged. I put a full zinc set on a K65 (besides spacebar at the moment). You can hack slits in the mounts on any standard spacebar to fit the Corsair Stabilizer spacing. The spacing and profile looks weird on a few caps in the bottom row as a result, but I'm not that picky.