Author Topic: [IC] GMK Neapolitan  (Read 7842 times)

Offline Clubkids

[IC] GMK Neapolitan
« on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 23:30:47 »
Hi All,

Brand new to things here and in the early stages of Keycap design. I've been following the community on reddit for over a year now and have been fascinated by the simple beauty that is presented in a lot of the sets. I'm looking to plunge a bit deeper into good design practice, and would love community feedback to improve what I've got here.

the 'ICON' placeholder keys may change to custom modifiers of an icecream cone, or instead will just be regular keys. How do people feel on this one?

If there is general interest i'll look at having renders done up. If anyone has suggestions of where to have this done, the advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I'm aware, the Alpha's & Modifiers are custom colors. As is, this keyset will support: Standard ANSI, ISO, 1800, WKL, HHKB, FC660M, standard 75%, includes both scoops and barred homing keys as well as a few other weirder layouts.

Look forward to hearing some feedback
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 23:43:31 by Clubkids »

Offline megaforce

Re: [IC] GMK Neapolitan
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 23:57:53 »
Wait if the colors are done well this would be so lit.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Clubkids

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 00:54:50 »
Thanks mate

Offline Clubkids

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 00:56:17 »
If anyone can direct me on how to best approach custom legend design - would be appreciated!

Offline Sensorium

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 01:58:30 »
Well for starters here's a lovely and simple vector image of an ice cream cone that you can use:

It looks fluffy and delicious!

Also, try seeing what it looks like with brown modifiers rather than black. The lack of chocolate on your design is heartbreaking!

That aside, are you the same person who started the "DSA Neapolitan" thread, and if not, do you know about that? I'm just making sure that you're not trying to run off with someone else's set. That said, I don't know much about the politics of ideas in this community. You'd need to consult someone more experienced than me for that. Best wishes!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 02:31:48 »

Offline Clubkids

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 02:37:33 »
Thanks for the ice-cream Vector. Wow... Had no idea about that DSA Neapolitan post... Had been working on this for a little while... Bit of Simultaneous invention occurring i think. Unless this gets a solid amount of interest I think i'll go back to the drawing board. Want the sets i put out to be unique and completely my own.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 02:41:50 by Clubkids »

Offline Sensorium

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 03:32:08 »
Thanks for the ice-cream Vector. Wow... Had no idea about that DSA Neapolitan post... Had been working on this for a little while... Bit of Simultaneous invention occurring i think. Unless this gets a solid amount of interest I think i'll go back to the drawing board. Want the sets i put out to be unique and completely my own.

Your heart is definitely in the right place here. Even if there's an idea out there similar to yours, it shouldn't stop you from going ahead with your own project. In the end it's the community that decides the fate of our ideas, not us.

The existence of a similar idea somewhere else doesn't make your idea any less original. If you want to go back to the drawing board and come up with something totally new, that's your right. Sticking to your guns and refining this set is also within your right. You'll feel best if you do what you want to do most!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 06:48:48 »
Personally I don't like the mods for a neapolitan design, should be actual chocolate ice cream brown IMO (and unless it's just my monitor they look dark grey and we already have tons of sets with dark grey mods).  Also not really a fan of the "Addiction" front-print on the spacebars really. 

Complaints out of the way, I think it could be a pretty good idea if you were to actually use a chocolate brown.  I'd also try and feature a bit more white in the design to really make it neapolitan but I'm not sure how exactly, maybe alternate white spacebars?

Also FYI it seems you put a second non-stepped Caps Lock key instead of a non-stepped Control key and your right 1.5u Alt key looks more like 1.75u.

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 06:59:57 »
If you do custom legends, there should also be room for Colemak/Dvorak kits ^___^. Yuri is pioneering this ATM. Also, fingers crossed for an Ergodox kit.

I like the basic color scheme, but the rest needs some work (icons, special keys, color fine-tuning).

Offline poolside

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 17:28:39 »
Yummy! I need this.  :thumb:

Offline Clubkids

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 17:42:16 »
Appreciate the feedback all. Will go back to things and review.

Offline poolside

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:45:37 »
Ice cream!

Offline OsciX

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 23:46:11 »
nice strawberry keyset, not enough chocolate or vanilla to be called neopoliatin

Offline Janoma

• certified nerd
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 05:56:37 »
also this is basically just bingsu at this point, try to avoid any similarities there

GLWIC

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 06:11:59 »
also this is basically just bingsu at this point, try to avoid any similarities there

GLWIC

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 14:28:47 »
relevant

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 14:55:24 »
nice strawberry keyset, not enough chocolate or vanilla to be called neopoliatin

GLWIC

relevant
Show Image

this ic is from 2017

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 15:11:06 »
this ic is from 2017

hahahahaha lmao why did someone revive this.
I didn't even check the date. Just saw that it was on the frontpage :'D

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 20:44:32 »
Yep yep yep. All in on this one  :thumb: