Author Topic: [IC] DSA Chemistry Set  (Read 5349 times)

Offline twicksy

[IC] DSA Chemistry Set
« on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 16:43:53 »
DSA Chemistry Set

Update:
Hi everyone!

For the last few months, I’ve been working hard on this idea! I’ve run through several revisions with a smaller community interest check and feel comfortable enough with the design to do a broader interest check! The newest renders are ABS doubleshot and all colors have been updated to match SP's ABS options.

In the IC form (https://forms.gle/GQ4YyDnXA2LZhMSn9), you’ll find the different complete colorways for this set. Mods and alphas will be sold as separate kits to allow you to customize your own set.

Please check all the kits you'd be interested in buying. It's likely that not all of these kits will be available in the group buy, depending on how much interest each kit receives. It’s super helpful to know what kits the community is most interested in so I can keep a focused mission and actually hit MOQ and see this set come to life!

Designs are not yet finalized, but the current images are realistic expectations for this set.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please fill out the free response question at the end of the survey or reach out to me on Twitter (@isabelacmor).

Acid Dark
218375-0

Acid Light
218377-1

Basic Dark
218379-2

Basic Light
218381-3

Novelties
218383-4

INTEREST CHECK FORM: https://forms.gle/GQ4YyDnXA2LZhMSn9

Original post:
Hi everyone! First time posting, but I've been part of the keyboard community for a while (mostly active on Reddit).

I'm running an interest check for my new keycap set DSA Chemistry Set. This is my first time designing a set, so please give me as much feedback as you can!
I'm planning 4 colorways for this set - light and dark (alphas) in both Acid and Base (mods).

The renders below show the general vibe of the set, but as always, caps will come split up into different kits:
  • Alphas: light and dark
  • Mods: acid and base
  • Numpad: light and dark
  • Novelties
  • 40% kit: acid and base
  • Ortho kit: acid and base
  • Ergo kit: acid and base
  • UK: light and dark
  • NorDe: light and dark
  • ISO: acid and base
  • Colemark & Dvorak: light and dark
  • Spacebars: acid and base
  • Blanks: light and dark
  • Blank mods: acid and base
Also planning a kit with the entire periodic table  8) Yet to be mocked up.

Acid Dark
206551-5

Acid Light
206553-6

Acid Special Mods
206561-7

Base Dark
206555-8

Base Light
206557-9

Base Special Mods
206559-10

Novelties
This will be illustrated in parallel with this IC - wanted to get the ideas out first and get some feedback!
206563-11

I will update this thread with renders of all the kits as they're finished (within the next few days) and with updates from your feedback. One thing I'm already thinking about changing is making the alpha letters bigger - they look a lot smaller in the rendered version than they do in the layout editor.

My plan is to run this set on Massdrop, so please help me make this happen  ;D I can't wait for everyone's feedback!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2019, 11:08:57 by twicksy »

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
Re: [IC] DSA Chemistry Set
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:17:05 »
I'm curious, have you spoken with the people that do the dye subbing? Is there any issues with that much text on the caps I imagine it might be difficult to get good clarity?

Also is this just me or does it look identical to DSA royal navy?

EDIT: The more I look at this the more I thikn it would be a lot better without atomic masses, only just atomic number/element. Just my opinion ofc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:23:17 by Acereconkeys »
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:21:41 »
FYI, Uuq doesn't exist anymore. Ununquadium was a placeholder name for what is now known as Flerovium (Fl).

Offline superandomness

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:30:26 »
Big fam of the concept. Current periodic table sets are pretty ugly right now.

I’d love to see some fun accent colors that match like the neons or something!

Offline twicksy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:44:07 »
I'm curious, have you spoken with the people that do the dye subbing? Is there any issues with that much text on the caps I imagine it might be difficult to get good clarity?

Also is this just me or does it look identical to DSA royal navy?

EDIT: The more I look at this the more I thikn it would be a lot better without atomic masses, only just atomic number/element. Just my opinion ofc.

I've gotten similar feedback about it being too much text. My current thought is to keep the element symbol and the atomic number in the top left. Should help with potential dye sub issues too.

And I guess Base Light looks kinda similar to Royal Navy  :'( do you think different color for the Base mods is needed? I'm new at this and def don't want to step on any toes.

Offline twicksy

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:46:40 »
FYI, Uuq doesn't exist anymore. Ununquadium was a placeholder name for what is now known as Flerovium (Fl).

Welp, might do a similar thing as J then - ? for the atomic number and nix the mass.

Offline SudoRmDashF

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 19:54:54 »
add 1.5u bottom row keys

Offline Anakey

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 05:26:58 »
Interesting that someone else had the same idea to do a periodic table as keycaps, though like the OP Q and J would be the problem as no elements starting with those letters currently exist. I did think possible having a Quark for Q and Joule for J given that those terms would fit closer to elements then any other. I do think it  looks very busy having the text on the alphas like it currently is. I was thinking more to do it like the C novelty is for SA carbon using only the whole number rather then to 3 dp given how hard it is to read the text when it is printed that small.

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:14:12 »
I'm curious, have you spoken with the people that do the dye subbing?

Where does this IC say anything about dye-sub? If SP is going to do these, it will have to be double-shot legends (because of the light text on dark keycaps). Just the same, your point about legend size is still relevant since double-shot legends impose pretty tight restrictions on minimum thickness of lines and minimum distance between them.

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 23:42:48 »
yum!

Offline NorthTidal

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 15:02:01 »
~I've already typed my reply before I noticed this was from 2 years ago. LOL how did I even end up here?? Anyway here's my 2 cents about the kit~

Great looking set. I like the color choice.

I've said it in the IC, but how about using lowercase letters for the second letter in 2 letter elements? Like Ge, Mn, Rb, Ti instead of GE, MN, RB, TI. I think the all uppercase design can be a bit confusing or messy to look at. Plus, its usually how elements are portrayed on most periodic tables so it would be a bit more faithful to the inspiration source.

Novelties look great for the most part. Though I feel that the microscope with the thicker and rounded lines looks a bit out of place in the set.
I also think a benzene ring (with the circle instead of double bonds) and a hydrogen atom (like the "atom 2" from your sketches or like the symbol on dr. manhattan's forehead) would be nice additions to novelties.