Author Topic: Anyone else getting this annoying taskbar issue in Windows 8.1?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Coreda

Since about a week ago various pinned apps on the taskbar no longer minimize/restore when their taskbar hotkeys are pressed (Win+1-9), instead the windows focus/unfocus. It's a super handy hotkey so the sudden breaking of the feature is really rustling my jimmies.

If anyone is using an up to date Windows 8.1 could you try pinning Wordpad (or File Explorer) to the taskbar in the first position closest to the Start menu then press Win+1 a few times. Does it minimize/restore or merely focus/unfocus the window?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: Anyone else getting this annoying taskbar issue in Windows 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:23:01 »

Since about a week ago various pinned apps on the taskbar no longer minimize/restore when their taskbar hotkeys are pressed (Win+1-9), instead the windows focus/unfocus. It's a super handy hotkey so the sudden breaking of the feature is really rustling my jimmies.

If anyone is using an up to date Windows 8.1 could you try pinning Wordpad (or File Explorer) to the taskbar in the first position closest to the Start menu then press Win+1 a few times. Does it minimize/restore or merely focus/unfocus the window?

This happens to me sometimes if my explorer.exe has crashed. I open task manager and restart windows explorer. Happens only about once a week and only on one of my W8.1 machines.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:39:06 »
i know the only time i "upgraded" to w8.1 (and spent 3 days afterwards backdating to 8 without an 8.1 key to grant me admin abilities) it took literally 8-10 minutes to just launch, the taskbar was partially blacked out, start menu thing was broken, explorer and other system functions just... didnt work (most things didnt) and i couldnt seem to do anything about it
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 16:11:01 »
i get this weird taskbar issue in Server 2012 where it will show items in the taskbar like Windows Explorer or Control Panel, but then when you click on them, they say that they don't exist and asks me if i want to remove them from the taskbar

and then 5 minutes later, they work again

i blame folder redirection...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 08:54:36 »
This happens to me sometimes if my explorer.exe has crashed. I open task manager and restart windows explorer. Happens only about once a week and only on one of my W8.1 machines.

I'm thinking it's a recent Windows update for me, as I tried that but no difference. Affects other apps, too. Exited all background programs I could think of that may be conflicting but the problem persists.

It's my most used taskbar feature :( May try submitting a bug report to Microsoft if I can find a link.