Author Topic: Leopold FC750R Review  (Read 35038 times)

Offline Zar7

Leopold FC750R Review
« on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 16:10:23 »
Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/QBk32

This afternoon my order from Mechanical Keyboards.com arrived! I was so excited to receive my first Leopold mechanical keyboard!
The keyboard model is the FC750R with Cherry MX Red switches. I bought it at MK.com for $114 with free standard shipping.

The unboxing experience is pretty much the same with every other keyboard: full of excitement!
The box itself is not flashy or anything like that. It is simple, and elegant.

The included accessories are USB to PS/2 adapter, a keycap puller, a replacement spacebar, and of course, the USB cable to power the keyboard.
Also included is a dust cover to protect the keyboard from any dust flying around the room. Very nice touch Leopold!

LEOPOLD FC750R

Build Quality:
The build quality of this keyboard is outstanding, worthy of its status as a high-end mechanical keyboard (comparable to Filco Majestouch 2).
It has a nice weight to it thanks to the metal plate inside the keyboard, which makes it extremely durable and solid (no flex at all, not even the smallest creaks).
The finish of the case is a lot better than the KUL ES-87, with a rougher texture and feel.
To be honest, the Leopold FC750R has the best overall build quality among my eight mechanical keyboards.

Features:
Genuine Cherry MX switches. My unit came with Cherry MX Reds, which is linear and smooth as butter. For some reason, the feel of the Cherry MX Reds
on this keyboard is a lot smoother than any boards with MX Reds I owned. The stabilizers are Cherry Stabilizers. I was expecting a bit of a mushy feel when
I tried all of the stabilized keys (left shift, enter, backspace, spacebar, right shift), but what I experienced surprised me.
The Cherry Stabilizers on this keyboard is not mushy AT ALL (that's coming from a dude who prefers Costar Stabilizers), and offers a solid feel throughout the key travel.
The spacebar has a unique thud or "thock" sound to it (which I really like), which makes it feel similar to my QFR Stealth's lubed Costar Stabilizers.
Prior to getting this keyboard, I tried my friend's KUL ES-87 with Cherry MX Reds. I really disliked the Cherry Stabs on the KUL because of their extremely mushy feel.
This is my first Cherry Stabilizer-clad keyboard I have that is not mushy when pressing the stabilized keys. Leopold, you have my respect!

The keyboard has a detachable USB cable (comes with Velcro straps too). The underside of the keyboard has three cable routing channels, so you can route the cable to
come out straight from the middle, the left, or the right. This is a feature that I thought should be standardized for keyboards with detachable cable. The flip-out feet
of the keyboard is heavily rubberized, so even when you deploy it when typing/gaming, it will stay planted like a rock.

This keyboard also has full N-Key Rollover support. :D

Keycaps:
Leopold blew my mind with their stock keycaps on the FC750R. The stock keycaps are 1.5mm thick, and made from PBT plastics, which is more durable than ABS plastics.
Adding to that, the legends are printed on the front (or side-printed, which is the same), which means that it will never fade out no matter how often you use it.
This is definitely one of the best stock keycaps I have ever used on a mechanical keyboard. Usually I will swap out all of my mechanical keyboard's stock keycaps (right after purchasing it)
with PBT keycaps, but for my Leo, it can definitely stay the way it is now. Typing on these? With buttery smooth Cherry MX Reds? With Cherry Stabs that are not mushy but solid? Hell yeah!

Sound-Absorbing Pad:
The FC750R is also outfitted with a sound absorbing pad in the case. This makes the keyboard a bit quieter (especially if you bottom out the keys all the time like me).
With the pad, keystrokes sounds much more solid. It might be just me, but the feel of the keys is improved too.

PCB:
The PCB is dual-layered for extra durability.

Keycap profiles:
The FC750R has a quite unique keycap profile. Named the "Stepsculpture 2", the keycaps resembles a Cherry profile, with shorter height. Typing on it feels just as
good as on Cherry profile, but it is slightly different.

CONCLUSION:
The Leopold FC750R is definitely my best mechanical keyboard so far. The build quality is beyond amazing, the stock keycaps are ridiculously amazing, and gaming/typing on
this feels so good. I am really liking the Cherry Stabs on this one. Beautiful and elegant design, with great performance along with it. Leopold, I salute you for this amazing,
amazing mechanical keyboard. It's my first Leo, and I am sure I will acquire more Leos in the future. ;)
Thanks as well to Mechanical Keyboard.com for making the FC750R available at a great price. This marks my first business venture with you guys.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about the FC750R.

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 April 2016, 16:15:11 by Zar7 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Leopold FC750R Review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 16:39:10 »
Yay! Another Leopold went to a good home. :D

I've been using the full size equivalent for some time now.

Offline Zar7

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 17:35:43 »
Yay! Another Leopold went to a good home.
Yep, my Leo feels so good to type/game on.  ;D

Which one are you suing? FC900R?

I am so glad I decided to try a Leo. Whenever I ask around (what's the best, no-frills mechanical keyboard on the market?), most of my answers
are Leopold and Filco. Originally I wanted to get myself a Majestouch 2, but it is a bit expensive. The main reason why I pulled the trigger on the Leo
is its 1.5mm stock thick PBT keycaps.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 17:46:25 »
You bought one of the best stock keyboards :thumb: but why reds.  :confused:

Offline Zar7

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 19:41:34 »
but why reds.  :confused:

Reds are my favorite among Cherry MX variants. They are light and smooth, and I type faster on them (around 118WPM) than Browns or Blues.
I tried MX Clears, did not really like it. Gateron Reds are not bad, they are extra smooth, but as not as solid or crisp as MX Reds.

Most of my boards are MX Reds because I like the buttery smooth keystrokes. 

Offline alexhcl123

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 08:45:39 »
Congratulation on your new purchase ! I love my Leopold FC750R with brown switches so much that I purchased two of them, one for the office uses and one for home use. Definitely one of the best non-custom board you can get!  :thumb:

Offline Skysophrenic

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 11:43:45 »
Totally agree with the quality - my go-to driver for work, though having reds at work isn't my favourite. I guess it helps since it keeps the noise down in an open office but it's otherwise a fantastic buy.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 12:06:25 »
mmm 750R, I want one so bad. 

Offline Jumie

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 09:58:11 »
oh how I missed my fc750r.. tried to get another one since then but no luck :(

Offline theXavier89

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 18:12:09 »
I'm so glad Leo's are gaining more and more popularity.

They are on rise real quick. I got a FC660M with stock blanks from Leopold. I love it! When I was shopping for my Leo, I was afraid I was going to have to buy two sets of blank PBTs (I really like blanks) to accommodate for the non-standard layout, but I found Widebasket's eBay store with the blank edition, and I bought it seconds later.

I noticed the Cherry stabs on the Leo were so much crisper than the Leo stabs on my Das II as well. I also prefer Costar stabs, but these stabs on the Leo are almost as crisp as Costar ones.

PS: the sound absorbing pads makes the board sound so much better. There's still the clack, but it's muted.
Before you ask, yes I name all of my keyboards.

Betty                    Lucy            Elizabeth (Cluebard)

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:00:25 »
Are your spacebar warped? I have two 750Rs and on both spacebars is warped, but a hairdryer and some dumbbell discs make it flat. Additional PBT keycap sets also have that.
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline Zar7

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 15:06:22 »
No my spacebar came in normal, with no visible warping or bending on the edge whatsoever.

One advice for FC750R users: If you ever want to swap out the stock keycaps with another, do so in OEM profile. I originally bought a Cherry profile keycaps (Vortex PBT)
to replace the already awesome stock keycaps, but after I have done so, the modifier keys becomes mushy (as the inner wall rubs against the stabs).
If you want to get the best out of the Leopold, get OEM profile PBT's.

Cheers!

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:33:37 »
No my spacebar came in normal, with no visible warping or bending on the edge whatsoever.

One advice for FC750R users: If you ever want to swap out the stock keycaps with another, do so in OEM profile. I originally bought a Cherry profile keycaps (Vortex PBT)
to replace the already awesome stock keycaps, but after I have done so, the modifier keys becomes mushy (as the inner wall rubs against the stabs).

Cheers!

Mine had no visible bend either. Until I compared it with a flat surface.
What a caps are causing that? Sounds like they are insanely thick.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:35:28 by HeeCh2ei »
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline sushi

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 07:18:43 »
Ditto on everything everyone has said so far. This is my daily driver and I love it. I have it with Cherry MX Blues and have had no warping of the keys. The stock PBT caps as mentioned are thick and of high quality.

As Zar7 said, if you're getting new keycaps get them in the OEM profile. I originally had the Signature Plastics Dolch DSA caps on there it just fit really strangely and made typing awkward. I have the Dolch set on my Leo FC660M and couldn't be happier :)

I use this board on top of my laptop quite often and the routed paths for the USB cable makes a big difference keeping the cables from bashing into the screen / keys

Offline skuko

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 08:11:08 »

Cheers!

i don't know where you bought your FC750, but the 2 i have are from widebasket on ebay and char cherry stabilizers, so there is absolutely no rubbing of anything. i have 2 of them with mx browns (one white and one black)

I'm typing this on GMK Orange on charcoal caps on my black FC750RT.

best board i've used so far.

Offline Zar7

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 11:27:30 »
I got mine from MechanicalKeyboards.com. They are in prime condition and they have Cherry Stabilizers as well. You know how the Cherry profile keycaps are lower than standard OEM?
Well since it is shorter, my longer keys (backspace, shift, and enter) feels slightly mushy unlike every other keys. When I used my current PBT keycaps in OEM profile, my stabilized
keys are now as crisp as Costar Stabilizers, with no issues at all.

Yep, cannot agree with you more. Awesome board!

Offline lancre

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 19:18:40 »
For some reason, the feel of the Cherry MX Reds
on this keyboard is a lot smoother than any boards with MX Reds I owned.

This might be due to the mounting plate. A work colleague uses a 750 and the clang of the keys, in terms of sound and feel, as they bottom out onto the mounting plate, is different from a PCB, and maybe makes a bit more of a rounded experience.

Realforce 104UW          Dell AT102W             NMB RT8255C+                   Omnikey Ultra-T

Offline Zar7

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 07:15:13 »
True. It makes them sound different (and to a certain extent, feel different too), especially with the sound-absorbing pad.

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 17:01:35 »
This review makes me want this board so badddd. I've been considering my options for a TKL if I ever decided to get one and the RF was probably my only choice until this.

Offline Zar7

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 20:03:06 »
This review makes me want this board so badddd
I highly recommend you the Leopold FC750R. Their build quality, performance and durability is top notch.

I have reviewed about 8 TKL mechanical keyboards so far, and I have to say, the FC750R is the best one among them all, with the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
coming close behind it. 

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 02:00:45 »
The last time I checked, the Leopold wasn't available with clears.  Is this still the case?
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline Zar7

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 02:10:35 »
Unfortunately, yes, there are no MX Clears version of the Leopold yet (so far only Red, Blue, Brown and Black).

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 02:33:38 »
Unfortunately, yes, there are no MX Clears version of the Leopold yet (so far only Red, Blue, Brown and Black).

I'm guessing that one won't ever be available.  Clears seem harder than ever to get.  I may consider a Leopold in another switch at some point, nobody that I know that has one has a bad thing to say about them.

Thanks for the info!
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline ginobass

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 08:36:05 »
so excited to get my new Leo too~  Great quality with PBT keycaps, what else to complain about!!

Offline Micdeez

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 00:26:18 »
Hi guys! I also purchased the FC750R from widebasket on eBay!

I currently have the Ducky YOTG and Pok3r. I love white keyboards!
Bit of a newbie when it comes to mechs but so far really like the typing experience.

I also purchased the black printed PBT caps for the modifiers and get  that black and white look to match my PC :) http://imgur.com/a/WFV3f

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2016, 00:35:20 by Micdeez »

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 00:31:06 »

Basically the only thing keeping me from this board as well.

Offline TypeSession

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 12:47:09 »
I just got a 750r and returned the kul 87 because the cherry red switches feel really buttery smooth on the leopold.  The kul was also solid but the cherry red on those felt really scratchy and one of them had an annoying pinging noise. 

Offline toadkiller

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 11:08:13 »
[quote author=Micdeez link=topic=81726.msg2213804#msg2213804 date=1467955578

I also purchased the black printed PBT caps for the modifiers and get  that black and white look to match my PC :) http://imgur.com/a/WFV3f
[/quote]

Holy jeez I love the look of your computer. Very nice!

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 21:23:39 »
I got the FC750R after I returned my filco majestouch 2 not because I didn't love it, but I couldn't get over the pinging and so far, the FC750R has not disappointed. I'd have to agree with your review of it and are pretty spot on about my own opinions of it. I got mine with the browns, though, and it feels so great to type on as well as provide an pleasant auditory feedback. And no pinging thanks to that sound-absorbing pad  ;D
So fancy!

Offline Ashlyn

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:55:01 »
thank you for awesome review , I will buy this board soon !

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 19:15:56 »
Yes, good review! I am just about ready to pull the trigger on one myself (w/ MX Browns).

Offline Battou62

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 09:03:17 »
I picked one of these recently with MX Blacks. Extremely well built, and the cherry stabilizers are silky smooth. Highly recommended. 

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 08:29:12 »
I think Leopold's red axis is the most comfortable to use, but the bottom of the Leopold keyboard is not beautiful enough.
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline yottagray

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 13:02:59 »
I absolutely agree on the keycaps. I honestly can't compare any other stock keycaps I've had from any other board. These are out-of-the-box enthusiast grade. I would basically say they were Cherry-grade in every way except obviously PBT instead of Cherry's ABS.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 10:12:27 »
Can anyone with this board measure the height of the front of the cast from desk to top? And also approximate the height from desk to top of spacebar? Much appreciated.
keyboards.

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 05:44:31 »
I absolutely agree on the keycaps. I honestly can't compare any other stock keycaps I've had from any other board. These are out-of-the-box enthusiast grade. I would basically say they were Cherry-grade in every way except obviously PBT instead of Cherry's ABS.

I love leopold PBT keycaps so much that I got a blank set for my ergodox.