Author Topic: Hi I'm fnurl and I'm looking for chorded programmable keyboards  (Read 2895 times)

Offline fnurl

Hi, I am sort of new to mechanical keyboards. Bought my first a couple of months ago, but have sort of bought two more since then (waiting for a Poker3 with a custom printed layout from wasd :))

I'm using OS X and Linux occasionally and have always enjoyed customizing workflows etc.

Lately I have been experimenting with keychords using Karabiner and Seil (Mac) but I haven't seen any keyboards that have hardware support for mapping chords, just single key presses in layers?  Am I wrong?

What I find attractive about keychords compared to modifier use is that keychords require less finger stretching ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Hi I'm fnurl and I'm looking for chorded programmable keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:26:23 »
I wanted to pop in and say welcome.

I respect your stance on knurling, even though I don't agree with it :)

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:34:30 »
What I find attractive about keychords compared to modifier use is that keychords require less finger stretching ;)

Fully programmable keyboards can do that, though likely not trivially. Its certainly doable with the QMK firmware (there is a steno layer, that implements steno chording in the firmware), but not pretty yet. I have plans to implement better chording in QMK, but first I need to train myself on Steno a bit more, so I will actually use it too.

To be honest, if all you want is some chords, and not a full Steno system, its not all that hard: start recording pressed keys when the first key is pressed, and record until all of them are released, then consult the lookup table. Done, pretty much. With QMK, this is easy, a few dozen lines of code maybe (I'd estimate around 50 lines + docs, 70 if you want to make it pretty).

Offline fnurl

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 17:26:07 »
Its certainly doable with the QMK firmware (there is a steno layer, that implements steno chording in the firmware), but not pretty yet. I have plans to implement better chording in QMK, but first I need to train myself on Steno a bit more, so I will actually use it too.

To be honest, if all you want is some chords, and not a full Steno system, its not all that hard: start recording pressed keys when the first key is pressed, and record until all of them are released, then consult the lookup table. Done, pretty much. With QMK, this is easy, a few dozen lines of code maybe (I'd estimate around 50 lines + docs, 70 if you want to make it pretty).

Thanks for the tip! I looked at the firmware page and if I understand correctly, the firmware works with the ErgoDox, the OLKB keyboards and the Clueboard? Might have to get a Clueboard then since the Ergo is a bit expensive for me at the moment and the OLKBs seem to have a long waiting line..

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 00:37:30 »
Thanks for the tip! I looked at the firmware page and if I understand correctly, the firmware works with the ErgoDox, the OLKB keyboards and the Clueboard? Might have to get a Clueboard then since the Ergo is a bit expensive for me at the moment and the OLKBs seem to have a long waiting line..

It has a guide to make it work with handwired keyboards too (but I have no clue at all about building a keyboard, so don't take my word for it), if that's up your alley. A similar thing is likely possible with other firmware too, like TMK, but I only have experience with QMK. The basic idea is simple, so as long as you can hook into a part of the firmware that processes keypresses, chording should be reasonably easy to implement on a simple level.

Offline fnurl

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 15:53:56 »
The basic idea is simple, so as long as you can hook into a part of the firmware that processes keypresses, chording should be reasonably easy to implement on a simple level.

Thanks again, I guess this means I'll be researching various keyboards, keyboard kits and firmware options for a while ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 01:27:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's an interesting approach to chording mentioned here.

What are the other two (apart from the Pok3r) keyboards you have?  What switches have you got in them?

Also did you know that you can disable that Tapatalk signature in the apps's settings?  Seems to annoy some people for some reason ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fnurl

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:13:04 »
There's an interesting approach to chording mentioned here.

Thanks, I've seen the ASETNIOP method before, but I don't think I want (or need) a full chording method. Am working on my own method which is nearing completion. I'll create a post when its done :)

What are the other two (apart from the Pok3r) keyboards you have?  What switches have you got in them?

I started with a tenkeyless Chinese keyboard without any English name what I can see. It had some issues when pressing certain key  combinations, so I bought a Rapoo V500 after that one. I also forgot my Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate.

Also did you know that you can disable that Tapatalk signature in the apps's settings?  Seems to annoy some people for some reason ;)

Thanks, I'll fix that ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 05:57:41 »
A variety of keyboards is good, regardless of where they are from.

I risked a KeyCool back when they had Cherry MX switches.  It arrived and seemed as light as a feather (in overall mass, not just the MX red switches), and all the documentation was in Chinese.  Still, that keyboard worked perfectly, and continues to do so today.  In fact it's on the desk connected to my other computer right now!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ