Author Topic: Retro Computing Look  (Read 120050 times)

Offline rootthumper

Retro Computing Look
« on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 10:01:46 »
Maybe maybe it's misplaced nostalgia but I've hot a soft spot for the look of old computers. The rigid cream colored plastic. The rounded corners and ventilation slots. The computers of the 80's had a certain look that was unique.

This is one of the reasons I like my IBM Model M. I saw this and it made me wonder.

Has anyone ever hacked/painted/modded their system to look like it came from the 1980's?

Offline kps

Retro Computing Look
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 10:29:34 »
Too bad that mouse is as wrist-breakingly thick as most other current models. If they'd done it in a Logitech 3F or Mouse Systems form factor I'd get a couple.

Offline Snarfangel

Retro Computing Look
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 10:45:10 »
I've had my eye on this number for quite awhile.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41078[/ATTACH]

(iirc, this originally came from a Fark Photoshop contest.)

Offline FKSSR

Retro Computing Look
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 11:51:50 »
I've actually thought about modding an old computer case.  If I somehow "inherited" one or got one for super cheap, I probably would, but I don't really want to pay to get one, because the shipping isn't cheap, and it's hard to find one in good condition.  I'm just not invested enough for all of that time. :)
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Retro Computing Look
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 20:26:28 »
Old computer cases would best be found at thrift stores.

I, too, like beige and rounded edges, but modern accessories and peripherals that match are impossible.

Funny how I still love a keyboard that was made during Reagan's first term, but never owned a mouse at that time, nor would I want one of that vintage now.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jackpipe

Retro Computing Look
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 08:43:21 »

Offline yttrium

• http://boards.4chan.org/g/
Retro Computing Look
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 06:32:30 »
Snarfangel, that's actually a photoshopped image.

The text was added later, and so was the large keyboard and paper - that's actually from an exhibit in a boating museum.

The plate that the keyboard is sitting on is actually one of those panels that has a transparent image on the front with a powerful bulb behind it. The monitor on the top runs a video exampling this station on the ship.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
Retro Computing Look
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 02:56:34 »
I love beige (putty), classic looking stuff, until it starts to yellow.....
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87