Author Topic: Poker Weight Mod (simple)  (Read 115757 times)

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Poker Weight Mod (simple)
« on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 17:12:06 »
Ok, so here's my first mod (to a keyboard). Yes it's simple but very effective. When I got my Poker in about two weeks ago I really didn't like the weight of it. To me it felt a little too light and would go sliding around like a greased up hooker in Harlem.

I went to Walmart grabbed some fishing weights and got to work. The weights I bought were actually too tall. They're 3/8". They stood above the cross supports in the poker. I held them with a hammer and smacked them, then flipped them over and smacked them again. It made them flat on each side, which also made them easier to glue down. I grabbed the hot glue gun and bam. Good to go. I reused the shipping foam from inside the package to make sure there was no metal on metal contact**. I also used heavy medical tape over the weights themselves to provide more insulation from metal on metal contact(not pictured). It doesn't move an inch now. This was SUPER easy considering there are only 5 small screws holding down the pcb.

This obviously was super easy and cost like $4.37 for the weights, and bam that's it. It's way more sturdy now. The heights of the center weights actually keeps the pcb from flexing as much as it did before. It still has some give, but not quite as much. Again, not pretend to be a rocket scientist with this mod. Just wanted to give others some ideas if they're not happy with their poker sliding around all willy-nilly.

The best part is, when I start taking this keyboard on the go I can just peel all the glue out and it be super light weight again.

The Precision markings in the pcb/case picture are just showing where the screws are.

**The white foam is on the pcb pictured below. I didn't attach it in any way, it's just hanging on by the hole I cut out for the dipswitches.

I have since added a couple more weights, and more glue over the existing weights.

Next time I show you how to install a mouse pad! -_-

The weights pictured are not the round weights toward the back of the case. However they are the same brand. So if you go to Walmart you should be able to find these pretty easy.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 46959[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 46960[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 46961[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 46962[/ATTACH]
I hate everything.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 17:57:02 »
There's a lot of fluff about the heavier the keyboard, the better it "feels". Whether or not this is a complete placebo effect, one thing is for certain, a heavier keyboard will slide around the desk less than a lighter one. I wish more people did things like this (the op) with their Poker. It's a $100 keyboard, not a holy grail, don't be afraid to do something new.

I lined my Poker with rubber mat liner, and it changed the key feel and weight of the board a bit. I've always wanted to use Dynamat but the rubber liner was more readily available and reversible if I didn't like it. I've also tried wood slabs wrapped in rubber liner, and that was an incredibly different change. But it was so rigid, that it took a lot of feeling out of the ergo-clears, so I went back to rubber mat without the wood.

Nice job on the mod.

Offline braaaiiins

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 01:26:45 »
Nice simple mod. I like it.

Quote from: o2dazone;565020
There's a lot of fluff about the heavier the keyboard, the better it "feels". Whether or not this is a complete placebo effect, one thing is for certain, a heavier keyboard will slide around the desk less than a lighter one. I wish more people did things like this (the op) with their Poker. It's a $100 keyboard, not a holy grail, don't be afraid to do something new.

I lined my Poker with rubber mat liner, and it changed the key feel and weight of the board a bit. I've always wanted to use Dynamat but the rubber liner was more readily available and reversible if I didn't like it. I've also tried wood slabs wrapped in rubber liner, and that was an incredibly different change. But it was so rigid, that it took a lot of feeling out of the ergo-clears, so I went back to rubber mat without the wood.

Nice job on the mod.

I did the same with my keyboard. I used neoprene rubber and cut out some simple square holes for the screws and dip switch. I think it makes a big difference in pcb flex. My Pcb feels much more solid and typing seems to be quieter too. Really simple worthwhile mod.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 April 2012, 12:40:06 »
When I buy another Poker (sold this one - the weight stuff heh) I'm going to make a case out of diamond plate, and would really like to check out the rubber you guys are talking about. Was it something like http://www.lowes.com/pd_31446-143-PP25546_0__?productId=1082955&Ntt=rubber+sheet&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Drubber%2Bsheet&facetInfo= or close to this? Could you maybe link me something from Lowes or Walmart that is similar? Looking for something I don't have to order. Something I can just run out and get to give it a shot.
I hate everything.

Offline anselben

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 April 2012, 01:53:07 »
Nice mod! When I get a poker I hope I like the weight, I do plan on carrying it around in my laptop bag for school and such. Now that I got a new laptop, going from a 17 inch to a 14 inch made a huge difference lol.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 April 2012, 02:00:24 »
It really easy to use the lead weight used to balance car tires as well it also already has double sick tape on it for easy install. I have modded many keyboads this way for people as well a my wasd which now weighs more than 6lbs, 8 including the wrist rest.

If your looking to dampen your keyboards sound and feel i suggest cabnet liner as it thin a you can use as many layers as you need to get the desired effect.

Have 2 poker cases to make doxes out of you could decfinitly fit a ton of weight in them because it is verry hollow.