Author Topic: Realforce 87U Opened Up  (Read 122633 times)

Offline FKSSR

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 21:18:48 »
Very interesting!  So, the domes are actually what give the different feel (30g to 55g)?  Did I understand that correctly?
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline CrapTypist

• http://www.georgecochrane
Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 02:23:49 »
So if the domes are a big part of the key action, I wonder if the action will degrade the way ho-hum dome 'boards are known to do.  Sure hope not!

So far this is the first kb that actually makes me want to go to work to type on it.  haha

Offline lam47

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 03:28:36 »
Lol. That was funny. Im not sure if slightly springy rubber dome board is a very good description no offence. I have not used a single rubber dome board that has come close to the feel of the Topre switch.

As for durability. In a standard rubber dome board its not so much the rubber that wears out but the contacts. As there are no contacts in the Topre its rated at 35million key presses (I think)
Its still not as much as cherry rate there switches at though.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline alpslover

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 09:38:16 »
Quote from: lam47;28090
Lol. That was funny. Im not sure if slightly springy rubber dome board is a very good description no offence. I have not used a single rubber dome board that has come close to the feel of the Topre switch.

i've typed on a few dell and hp rubber dome keyboards that come close.  they aren't as smooth, or as springy, but the tactile response of the domes is very similar.

Offline FKSSR

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 10:02:54 »
I can't wait to try out a HHKB and/or Realforce (hopefully at the KEG meeting in the NYC area soon), but the more I read, the less I feel I will like the switches on these keyboards.

Offline lam47

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 11:16:20 »
Quote from: alpslover;28123
i've typed on a few dell and hp rubber dome keyboards that come close.  they aren't as smooth, or as springy, but the tactile response of the domes is very similar.

Do you think you could link me to a model?
I would like to find a board that is close. Would help a lot of people decide if they want to pay for a Topre.
Thanks.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline lam47

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 11:39:30 »
The virgin in the picture looks a little like a fella. I guess nobody said it wouldn't be.

Offline FKSSR

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 11:41:57 »
I can sometimes imagine that when playing bass, but I'm still not that into keyboards...

Also, it appears that your Filco w/ browns is your second favorite next to the Realforce.  I don't like typing on browns, so I think you and I just differ on what we want our typing keyboards to feel like.  At this point, I honestly only like typing on white-alps or buckling springs.  I have a bit of hope that a Filco w/ blues would fit my fancy, but I didn't like the G80-3000 w/ blues.

Anyway...my point is that I don't think my personal preferences fit with the Realforce.

Offline FKSSR

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 11:44:00 »
Quote from: lam47;28147
The virgin in the picture looks a little like a fella. I guess nobody said it wouldn't be.

I like androgyny.  As the Greeks did...

Offline FKSSR

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 12:18:29 »
Romans, Greeks, potAto, pota(h)to :P

Offline alpslover

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 12:20:51 »
Quote from: lam47;28142
Do you think you could link me to a model?
I would like to find a board that is close. Would help a lot of people decide if they want to pay for a Topre.
Thanks.

here is one:  hp ku-0316.  it's a usb keyboard bundled with some of their pc's.

bear in mind that all i'm saying is that the only aspect of this keyboard that somewhat approaches a topre is the tactility of the rubber domes.  the hp is not as smooth, heavy, or rigid.  the keys don't bottom or top out as nicely as on a topre, they don't feel as 'springy', and they wobble quite a bit more.  the feel of the keys can vary from sample to sample (i've typed on some that were quite mushy and some that were quite crisp) and even from key to key on the same keyboard.

Offline FKSSR

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 12:23:20 »
Wow.  That's some disclaimer.  I think the point is that nothing but a Topre really feels like a Topre (so far), but if you like certain types of other (reliable) switches, you may or may not like this one.

...Basically, you still have to try one to be sure...

Offline alpslover

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 12:39:06 »
Quote from: FKSSR;28160
Wow.  That's some disclaimer.  I think the point is that nothing but a Topre really feels like a Topre (so far), but if you like certain types of other (reliable) switches, you may or may not like this one.

no other keyswitch feels exactly like a topre, but some tactile rubber domes do come close (which makes sense since a topre IS a rubber dome with a spring underneath and a different switching mechanism).

the idea is not to find a cheap substitute for a topre, but to give someone a taste of what to expect without spending $300 first.  rubber dome keyboards vary widely in feel - some are just pure mush, but others really aren't all that bad.

Offline CrapTypist

• http://www.georgecochrane
Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 12:42:42 »
I've only had my Topre for a few days, but I can say this: My first good keyboard was an '89 M, and I love typing on it, but there's something deliberate about it.  The loudness and pressure needed to type on it made it annoying after a while, especially while cranking on a deadline.

The Realforce feels, to me, like my hands are more free to channel information into the computer, unhindered.  It's really well-made and solid, they keys don't chatter around, and the gradation in force from finger to finger feels quite well thought-out and is a help for me, especially on this week's lonnnnngggg workdays.

The keys actuate at what seems like 1\4 if the way through the stroke, so if you get your hand posture right, you can get away with a very light touch.  Nice.  The feel in general is just so, so nice.  Worth $300?  Ehhhhh...  Depends on how much you type, I guess.  Before I came here I scarcely knew keyboards sold for over $60 or so.  lol

Dunno, I love it, even if it doesn't have the macho ker-chung of the big beige boat.

(Disclaimer: Still in glow-mode over new 'board)

Offline lam47

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 14:01:38 »
Quote from: alpslover;28164
no other keyswitch feels exactly like a topre, but some tactile rubber domes do come close (which makes sense since a topre IS a rubber dome with a spring underneath and a different switching mechanism).

the idea is not to find a cheap substitute for a topre, but to give someone a taste of what to expect without spending $300 first.  rubber dome keyboards vary widely in feel - some are just pure mush, but others really aren't all that bad.

Exactly. I would like to get one of these rubber boards and if I feel the feel (;))is close to a topre in any way would post it off around the world for people to try before going for a HH or a Realforce.

Thanks.

Offline rdjack21

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 14:04:48 »
Yea Haaa!!! Just got mine in!!!!

And I do have to agree you can't really describe the feel of it in any meaningful way that someone else would understand. I still need to type on it a little longer to make sure but I really think this is going to be my main board from now on. I'm even thinking of ordering another one so I have a spare.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ozar

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 14:12:20 »
Quote from: rdjack21;28173
I'm even thinking of ordering another one so I have a spare.

It really is nice to have an extra on hand for any keyboard you truly like, and if you keep the backup in a "new in box" condition, it could become worth lots of money in the future should you ever decide to sell it.

Offline FKSSR

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 14:59:08 »
Quote from: alpslover;28164

Yeah, I can totally understand that.

Offline rdjack21

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 15:51:18 »
Quote from: ripster;28178
Uhh... I would wait a while to make sure this is "THE ONE".    My short time here I haven't seen a lot of people stick to a favorite.  The sane ones must go hang around the trackball forum or something.

Glad you like it though.

- Ripster

Oh I plan on using for a bit before I completely go nuts and get more of them. I have about a month before stlensbar's listings expire which should give me time to be fairly certain that I want another one.

I still plan on getting another cherry brown board as well because I like those as well. But those will be more of a backup board verses the main board. And I still need something at work that is usable that I will not get to worked up about if it grows legs and walks off.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 15:54:47 »
Quote from: ozar;28174
It really is nice to have an extra on hand for any keyboard you truly like, and if you keep the backup in a "new in box" condition, it could become worth lots of money in the future should you ever decide to sell it.

Very true on the "new in box" part. I mostly just like to have a back up just in case.
Keyboards

Offline dougy

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 17:46:59 »
ripster, is there any chance you could post some closeups of the board without the membrane and maybe another of the bottom of the keycaps? I've been wondering if splaying a Topre might be feasible, but need lots more information.

Offline lam47

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 18:25:49 »
Hmm. The rubber dome for the 30 keys is on the same sheet as the 45 keys?
And yet they have managed to mould them thinner?

Offline lam47

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 04:31:51 »
lol, You make me smile :)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 08:12:00 »
Quote from: ripster;28072
Another interesting note is the rather zigzag dome construction.  Why they couldn't just do one big sheet like everyone else is kinda strange.
At least they are not all individual pieces like on the HHKB's.  (check it)

Offline wellington1869

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 14:48:27 »
so basically you're saying this is a rubber dome board, with very very light springs inside the domes, and the main nice feel comes from the engineering on the key switches/sliders and their 'tight fit'. This is a tight fitting slider over a regular rubber dome basically.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 14:55:39 »
Quote from: wellington1869;91243
This is a tight fitting slider over a regular rubber dome basically.

Minus the need for bottoming out, that is.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline wellington1869

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 21:37:07 »
I"m wondering, if the tactile bump is barely noticeable on the topres, why do you guys say you dont need to bottom out?

[I tried the topres briefly, and I bottomed out like I normally do (tho i tend to bottom out on whatever i'm using, i have 'heavy fingers' when i type)]

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline rdjack21

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 22:33:53 »
ripster - Great research thanks for the insight into how these boards work.

I would also add that this may also explain why a used Topre will feel slightly different then a brand spanking new one. For instance my 87U does feel slightly crisper than the one year old 86U I have. The both feel and type great but there is diffidently a difference. So after a wear in period these boards will have a different feel to them it is not a bad difference IMHO but it is still a difference.
Keyboards

Offline wellington1869

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 22:49:51 »
Quote from: ripster;91285
I will say though, it's a satisfying soft landing when you do.

agreed, its "velvety".

I would also add that this may also explain why a used Topre will feel slightly different then a brand spanking new one. For instance my 87U does feel slightly crisper than the one year old 86U I have. The both feel and type great but there is diffidently a difference. So after a wear in period these boards will have a different feel to them it is not a bad difference IMHO but it is still a difference.

good to know; i was wondering about that.

Offline watduzhkstand4

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 10:18:36 »
so the capacitive switches are just normal rubber domes except they added an extra spring in it? So How is this keyboard worth $300+ again? I want to get one but not it kinda just turned me off
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline itlnstln

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 10:25:59 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;91906
so the capacitive switches are just normal rubber domes except they added an extra spring in it?

No.  There is a wikipedia article on capacitive switches.  These do not function anything like rubber domes.  The domes only provide tactility; they have nothing (at least as far as I can tell, anyway) to do with the actual functionality.

Offline itlnstln

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 10:31:47 »
iMav, bigpook, and XsPhat have used their HHKBs for a long time, and I haven't heard any of them talk about wearing out a Topre switch.

Offline o2dazone

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 10:31:54 »
I'm not a professional in this field, but unlike a switch dome, a capacitive switch contacts the PCB via a pad. Which means there's fewer moving parts to break or wear. Also, the capacitive connection to the PCB can happen before the key is bottomed out, allowing you to type faster without having to fully depress keys like a switch dome. That's all I really all I know about the two.

Oh, and epeen status, just think of the crowds of women that will come flocking when they've found out you bought a $300 keyboard.

More info here (capacitive) and here (switch dome)
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2009, 10:34:26 by o2dazone »

Offline itlnstln

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 10:34:10 »
Quote from: o2dazone;91910
Oh, and epeen status, just think of the crowds of women that will come flocking when they've found out you bought a $300 keyboard.

I think you mean the crowds of women that will be flocking in the other direction when they've found out you bought a $300 keyboard.

Offline o2dazone

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 20:19:55 »
haha nice way to measure that out :)

Offline itlnstln

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 08:10:06 »
I was wondering how they were able to stay stacked at that angle.

Offline o2dazone

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 08:26:19 »
Quote from: ripster;94870
I'm easily amused.

I thought I would really emphasize this, as it's a complete understatement lol

Offline rdjack21

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 09:13:46 »
That is a cool experiment it makes me want to see if the 86U is really 30g on the pinkie keys because I really can't tell the difference between the 86U and the 87U pinkie keys. Also my 86U has been used for over a year now so I'm also wondering if the weights are the same as new or very slightly used.
Keyboards

Offline _js_

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 13:24:27 »
So I'm going to be removing my keycaps on my 103U--bought a keycap puller from EK along with a red ESC key--and I'm wondering: should I open up the top cover by undoing the four tabs on bottom?  Or can/should I just leave it on while I remove, clean, and reinstall my keycaps?  Do I need to take it off?  Should I take it off?  Thanks in advance for any advice!
HHKB Pro 2, AEK II

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 05:09:55 »
Quote from: _js_;580936
So I'm going to be removing my keycaps on my 103U--bought a keycap puller from EK along with a red ESC key--and I'm wondering: should I open up the top cover by undoing the four tabs on bottom?  Or can/should I just leave it on while I remove, clean, and reinstall my keycaps?  Do I need to take it off?  Should I take it off?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Leave the case together if your just dealing with the keycaps.

Offline _js_

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 07:34:45 »
Thanks!  Will do.
HHKB Pro 2, AEK II

Offline _js_

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 20:28:13 »
OK.  I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.  I've searched high and low and I haven't found a clear description nor a video of EXACTLY how to use the Leopold key cap removal tool to remove the Topre key caps.  I found a video for the Cherry MX key caps, and on that video, the tool was aligned so that the "bars" slipped over the LEFT and RIGHT sides of the key cap, and it was then twisted slightly to grab upper left and lower right corners, and pulled straight up.

But, comparing the width of those bars with the width of the red ESC keycap I have, the sides of the keycap are WIDER than the bars, so how is it going to slip over them?  Should I slip it over the top and bottom?  I'm sure I'm probably over thinking this, but would someone please tell me precisely how they remove their keycaps--suggestions, warnings, comments--all that sort of stuff?  Is the space bar handled differently?  (I bought two pulling tools just in case a 2nd one might come in handy).

Or should I just leave them on and clean them in place?  And with what?  How much of a PITA is it to pull all 103 keycaps off and replace them?

I'm sorry if I'm over thinking this, but I just don't want to take any chances with a $240 keyboard.
HHKB Pro 2, AEK II

Offline _js_

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 20:48:17 »
ripster,

I found your wiki guide to keys

That has a link about the spacebar on a Topre.  Thanks for the awesome info!
HHKB Pro 2, AEK II

Offline _js_

Realforce 87U Opened Up
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 20:55:54 »
Errr.  So, HOW do I remove the spacebar?  Just use two pullers on either side?  You know, at this point, I think I'm getting scared off and maybe will just clean them in place with isopropyl alcohol.  Geesh.
HHKB Pro 2, AEK II