Author Topic: Model F - Gimme back my Big Backspace Mod  (Read 135979 times)

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Model F - Gimme back my Big Backspace Mod
« on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 10:29:51 »
Intro

Before trievalot even sent me my Model F, I wondered if I could fix the annoying issue of the L-Enter button of death/pestilence/annoyance. Its not that I mind the large Enter button, its just that it's taking the spot of '|' and '\' and making the Backspace so damn tiny.

Anyways, so part of my deal with trievalot was that I got a full set of Model M key caps (which is what put this plan into motion).

What you need:

[*]IBM Model F (I only have an AT to test this on)
    [*]ANSI sized Backspace
    [*]ANSI sized \ | key
    [*]ANSI sized Enter button
    [*]Flat Head Screwdriver
    [*]Needle-nose pliers
    [/LIST]

Optional: (Highly recommended!)

[*] 2x Model M style plastic insert key stabilizers
      [/LIST]

Disassembling

First, take all the key caps off.

Next you use the Flat head screwdriver to remove the four screws from the back of the board.
      Now pry the board apart from the side with the cord. You here lots of creaking sounds, that's normal. While prying, unslot the cord from the board.

Remove the screw holding in the wires and the two screws (to the right and left) holding the board in place.

There should be two plugs going into the main controller board (the smaller one is for the LEDs, you can ignore it completely), unplug them. Notice how they are somewhat idiot proof, so you'll be able to remember how to plug them in later.

Now take out the main board assembly.

Don't worry about the controller board, you can ignore it completely for this mod.

Next, notice the folded over tab on the top right corner (above picture). Use the needle-nose pliers to unbend the tab enough so that you can take the assembly apart.

If you take a closer look at how the assembly is put together, you'll notice that it slides into all of the tabs in order to lock it into place. I just used my hands to pull it apart and leveraged the floor a bit. This post has way more details on how to take apart a Model F, if you're still confused.

Now before removing the top piece, raise the assembly off the ground. I just stacked some empty curry boxes. This is so all the springs don't jump out at you.
      Next, remove the top piece of the assembly.

Look at all those extra contacts :D. Unfortunately I don't have any extra springs, and switches so I can't put them to use.

Now locate the spring/switch of the \ | key, remove it and place it where it should be.

Next you'll notice that there is an insert just beside the Enter key spring/switch; remove it, as it doesn't fit properly with the Model M style keys.

Mmm, instant (well 6-7 minutes plus however long it takes to cook the rice) curry.

And we're done!

Well not really. You still have to put the keyboard back together (which is relatively easy, just follow this).
      You also have to place the new key caps back on...
      Easy nonetheless.

Optional Part:

Right before you put the Enter and Backspace back on, insert the spacers.

They only go in one way, so don't force them in (though they do fit more snugly that the Model F insert stabilizer did, see pic with the curry box background above).

This part makes a world of a difference to the key feel as the keys don't shake so much.

I got 4 insert stabilizers from trievalot, 3 of them white, and one grey coloured one. The grey one is for the numpad 0 (as per trievalot).

Scan Codes

Next part, scan codes. I use this board in Linux, so that is what this guide will describe. I have no idea how to fix this up in Windows (and am too lazy to figure it out). ripster says its automagically detected in Windows, what ever that means :P.

Scan Code Background - Safe to skip unless you are having troubles

At first when I started doing this mod I could not get any scan codes out of the new \ | key. For me, xev gave me nothing. Next I tried showkey (you should run without X running), but still nothing (even using the -a, -s, or -k options).
      But after reading a the man page I discovered that the 2.6 kernels does some keycode magic first before sending the signals to you.
      To turn the magic off add the following option to the the kernel grub line:

Code: [Select]
      atkbd.softraw=0

For the clueless, at the grub boot loader, highlight the desired boot, press 'e' then highlight the line that starts with kernel. Now add the option at the end to look something like this (this one is for ArchLinux):

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/md0 ro atkbd.softraw=0

Now press Enter and then 'b' to boot the OS.

Since the kernel is no longer doing magic to the scan codes you can pick up the scan codes that weren't there before. albeit only with:

sudo showkey -s

The -k, -a and xev will still give you nothing.

Assigning the new \ | key

On my system the \ | scan code is 0x75. This works even if you have not added the atkbd.softraw=0 option from the previous section.

To remap the key just issue the following command:

sudo setkeycodes 75 43

This sets the scancode 0x75 to signal the keycode 43. Keycode 43 is the keyboard layout identifier the OS has already prepared for \ |.

You can see a list of the current keycodes with 'xmodmap -pke'. For me I had to guess because I have an odd way of enabling colemak, but 43 should be ok for those using en_US.

Now you just have to add that command somewhere so it runs on startup. I'll probably use the /etc/rc.local file so it gets loaded before the login.

Finally, you're done!

[/SIZE]

Conclusion

So far this mod has been working great for me. The only minus would be that the backspace and Enter keys don't have stabilizers. But its not really that big of a deal.
      And I'm sure somebody can figure out a way to fix that (the board has the slots for a Backspace and Enter stabilizer).

This guide should also work for any of the other unused pads (there are 6 of them, the space bar ones are hard to use mind you). Soarer was nice enough to provide a list of scancodes for the other pads.

Mod Images
      Extra Dismantling Images
      « Last Edit: Sun, 07 November 2010, 06:26:18 by JBert »
      Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
      I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline salcan

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 11:03:46 »
      Just me or are all the images broken?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 11:07:19 »
      It could be your browser or firewall.  They're broken for me, but it's my workplace's firewall.  My firewall-buster can't handle AJAX, so I can't see any of the pics in the "wiki" forums.

Offline mp29k

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 12:45:58 »
      "You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline JBert

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 13:22:27 »
      Quote from: ripster;158843
      Whaddya know - there's  SUPPOSED to be images but Vbulletin has a nasty habit of erasing them if you take too long editing the post.
      And that's why I prepare articles in a text editor before posting...
      IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
      IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
      [/SIZE]

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 16:16:54 »
      Lol, sorry about that. I was pretty much falling over when I finished the guide, so I didn't test it properly.

"Should" be fine now.

Here's the picasa link for the lazy.

More pictures as well.
      « Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2010, 16:20:50 by HaaTa »
      Kiibohd

Offline mp29k

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 17:30:57 »
      Great post now that the pictures work.  I had absolutely no interest in the Model F before this post because of the crappy layout, now I am reading about the tasty feeling of the Model F, and along with this post, now I want one...

Which one will work with PS2 again?  AT or XT?
      "You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
        • http://kishy.ca/
      « Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 17:34:20 »
      Quote from: mp29k;158873
      Show Image

That was a good movie...shame nobody I know is familiar with it.
      Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
      Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
      kishy.ca

Offline mp29k

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 17:36:29 »
      Quote from: kishy;158944

I watched it once, fully intending to buy it so I could really dig in and understand the nuance of it, but life happened and I never got around to it.  I will have to rent it again, or torrent it off the net to watch it again.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 18:52:04 »
      Is that from Memento?  Great flick.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
      « Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 19:06:51 »
      Quote from: itlnstln;158962
      Is that from Memento?  Great flick.

Indeed it is.

Obviously not ALL of it though...

Fantastic movie.
      kishy.ca

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 19:54:50 »
      OMG that is an awesome mod.  May I buy the keyboard off of you now?
      My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
      Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      Re: Model F - Gimme back my Big Backspace Mod
      « Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 20:23:31 »
      Lol, no :P.  Its my coding board.

It took me longer to do the write up than it did to figure out/complete the mod.
      Best part is is its easily reversable (why you'd want to do that, I don't know).
      Kiibohd

Offline trievalot

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 21:29:56 »
      This is an awesome looking board.......very very very cool now.
      Best of both worlds with the quality of a Model F and the usability of a modern board.
      [SIGPIC]

Offline mp29k

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 21:38:39 »
      Which Model F works with modern PCs?  XT, or AT?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
      « Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 21:41:52 »
      Quote from: mp29k;159011
      Which Model F works with modern PCs?  XT, or AT?

AT.

The IBM PC and PC/XT used an earlier version of the interface. The IBM PC/AT introduced a new version of interface which was then carried over to PS/2, just using a different connector.

Converters for XT can be built but it's easier to just find an AT keyboard.
      kishy.ca

Offline trievalot

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 February 2010, 23:13:53 »
      Ill swap my other AT Model F for a Topre if anyone is interested :P
      [SIGPIC]

Offline JBert

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 February 2010, 12:49:53 »
      Quote from: HaaTa;158995
      Lol, no :P.  Its my coding board.

It took me longer to do the write up than it did to figure out/complete the mod.
      Best part is is its easily reversable (why you'd want to do that, I don't know).
      Actually, it seems you took a lot of time writing the disassembly, even though that has been explained before. We should make a wiki article about it. :wink:

The storage list:
      IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
      [/SIZE]

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 February 2010, 16:31:39 »
      So It'll be a NIB modded Model F :P
      Kiibohd

Offline trievalot

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 February 2010, 02:52:53 »
      Ill buy that for a dollar!
      [SIGPIC]

Offline msiegel

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 February 2010, 15:14:36 »
      HaaTa, have you noticed any difference in feel between the original Model F keys and the replacement Model M keys?

ripster had pointed out that the slots in the key stems are different lengths, possibly affecting how a spring buckles...

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
      Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 03:47:24 »
      Quote from: webwit;159320
      I think this mod will be one of the classics. Well done.

If you (webtwot) think this mod will be "one of the classics" then I'm absolutely convinced it's a bad move.

The last thing I would consider attempting to do is **** up a perfectly good$500 NIB sealed 84-key PC AT Model F.  Let's see how fast the market value can drop for a pristine sealed vintage board of which there are only a handful that still exist.

In fact, I wouldn't peform this mod with any of my other used 84-key AT Model Fs either.   I like the large enter key, the Control Key is where God intended it to be, and the small backspace key is something I've become accustomed to.

Having burned literally thousands of dollars during the past 12 months on virtually every type of key switch, vintage or current production, I've come full circle back to exclusively using my 84-key AT keyboards at the office and at home.  

Beam spring keyboards aside (I've never seen one or used one) there ain't nothin' better than the IBM buckling spring over capacitive contacts key switch used in the 84-key Model F.  Everything else, Model M's Cherry toys, even the good ones, suck **** in comparison.

The only mod worth attempting is JBerts space bar force reduction mod.   Done correctly, that makes the 84-key damn near perfect.
      Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline platon

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 04:48:23 »
      Quote from: maxlugar;159558
      If you (webtwot) think this mod will be "one of the classics" then I'm absolutely convinced it's a bad move.

The last thing I would consider attempting to do is **** up a perfectly good$500 NIB sealed 84-key PC AT Model F.  Let's see how fast the market value can drop for a pristine sealed vintage board of which there are only a handful that still exist.

In fact, I wouldn't peform this mod with any of my other used 84-key AT Model Fs either.   I like the large enter key, the Control Key is where God intended it to be, and the small backspace key is something I've become accustomed to.

Having burned literally thousands of dollars during the past 12 months on virtually every type of key switch, vintage or current production, I've come full circle back to exclusively using my 84-key AT keyboards at the office and at home.  

Beam spring keyboards aside (I've never seen one or used one) there ain't nothin' better than the IBM buckling spring over capacitive contacts key switch used in the 84-key Model F.  Everything else, Model M's Cherry toys, even the good ones, suck **** in comparison.

The only mod worth attempting is JBerts space bar force reduction mod.   Done correctly, that makes the 84-key damn near perfect.

I agree with webwit. It is a classic mod. Just seeing it motivates me to try something similar to a Chicony 5181 and a Focus 2001.

I would not touch a NIB $500 Model F either. Apart from that though, the enter - backslash - backspace combo is a matter of personal preference.

I for example despise the big enter key layout and i bet i'm not the only one.
      « Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2010, 04:53:27 by platon »
      Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline Brian ONeil

Msg from Brian O'Neil
      « Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 05:57:01 »
      I believe a may have a parts unit at my warehouse that I can steal the parts you need off of. Send me an email if you need help. brian28027@gmail.com

Offline trievalot

Look what i just did......
      « Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 06:00:54 »
      Haata, very easy mod thank you!!!
      Man, once my wife sees this she will be SO impressed :P

So, who wants to buy it?
      [SIGPIC]

Offline trievalot

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 06:11:44 »
      im using the F now.....DAMN this is so much better
      Hey Haata, as for the M guides beiing different, i have a few spare ones i can send you (let me know how many you want) for the extra keys?

Again, thanks for the very easy guide (and the Filco in the above picture!)
      [SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
      « Reply #26 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 10:09:57 »
      It is theoretically possible to mod the keyboard to have a standard sized space bar and two Alt keys flanking it. However, you'd have to a) cut out two holes in the plate to make room for the barrels for the extra Alt keys, and b) find some way of holding the stabilizer bar for a Model M space bar.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #27 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 11:27:37 »
      Quote from: msiegel;159437
      HaaTa, have you noticed any difference in feel between the original Model F keys and the replacement Model M keys?

ripster had pointed out that the slots in the key stems are different lengths, possibly affecting how a spring buckles...

Hmm, if I really test the Model M keys closely, they do feel a bit different. Though what I notice the most is the texture and thickness of the keycaps when typing.

The sound is also a little bit different (closer to a Model M actually :P).

Since trievalot has added the extra stabilizers in his board, he would probably have a better answer.
      Kiibohd

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 13:38:17 »
      Quote from: webwit;159563
      Oh dear, attack out of nowhere. I can do this, I was twelve once. Let's see. If you (maxloser) have a problem, maybe you should mention it instead of randomly attacking me like a little kid.

Sorry webwit.  I was a bit impaired last night.  Fri & Sat nights are usually busy but business at the club was very slow which means I lost money which in turn impacts my ability to fund my addiction to buying keyboards.  I had to find a way to lessen the pain  :)   :violin:

I agree, this really is an awesome mod - maybe the best one ever if it enables more people to experience the joy of using the 84-key AT Model F.

I know I am in the minority regarding the archaic 84-key layout.  I'm just used to it and have been able to switch betweeen the 84-key, standard 104 key, and HHKB without too much of a problem.

The new 84-key will remain tucked away in the gun safe and probably passed on to my kids.

After looking at the steps for the mod, I think I will attempt it on one of my used 84-keys for ****s & grins.  From all the positive responses, this mod will probably increase the market value of a used one...at least within the geekhack community.

Keep that box in pristine condition ripster!  You should have no problem selling it NIB on ebay after the mod.:heh:

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 13:57:38 »
      Quote from: ripster;159651
      The club?  

Um..yes along the same line, but much less classy.  The city of Phoenix will not grant me a liquor license to sell alcoholic beverages...know what I mean?   :)

Offline JBert

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 14:15:28 »
      Quote from: maxlugar;159558
      Ehr, my spacebar mod also violates the warranty. Be warned.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 14:51:47 »
      Quote from: JBert;159658
      Ehr, my spacebar mod also violates the warranty. Be warned.

Yeah, that 25 year IBM warranty  :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
      « Reply #32 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 15:00:05 »
      My only qualm with this mod is that it's software dependent. It would be nice to somehow hack the controller to have this functionality built in, but that's obviously going to involve a lot of effort.

Offline trievalot

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 16:33:50 »
      All keys work fine under windoze, and the backspace key and enter keys did feel a little diffferent until i added the model m donor stabilizer.  they feel different than the keys with metal guides, but the same as the M keys (if that makes sense)
      Im thinking the spacemod is a good idea now, DAMN this thing is heavy.
      [SIGPIC]

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #34 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 22:05:24 »
      Subconsciously I've started to use the beast of a spacebar with both thumbs. Takes a little bit of practice though. And I haven't decided whether or not its a good long term solution yet.
      Kiibohd

Offline msiegel

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 23:53:19 »
      strong thumbs are good for you...
      just think of all those early '80s secretaries and data entry workers with really strong thumbs :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
      Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #36 on: Sun, 21 February 2010, 00:09:42 »
      You mean like this

Don't even know why I remembered this. Only walked through the room when my dad was watching it on the tube more than 10 years ago (Even Cowgirls Get The Blues).
      Kiibohd

Offline trievalot

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 21 February 2010, 01:24:37 »
      dont guys prefer chicks with small hands :O
      [SIGPIC]

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 24 February 2010, 17:53:11 »
      Only if you are challenged... ;-P
      Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
      Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
      Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
      Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
      :

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #39 on: Wed, 24 February 2010, 18:52:32 »
      Dueling Banjos?

(Godammit Tapatalk, you won't let me post the obligatory Curse of Monkey Island pic)

Edit:

>
      type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">[/YOUTUBE]

That's better
      « Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2010, 06:15:05 by HaaTa »
      Kiibohd

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #40 on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 05:17:44 »
      Just got a bunch of Model M plastic insert stabilizers, and updated the mod to use them (i.e. take of the key, place the insert in, put the key back on, done...). Picture as well.

Definitely recommended, almost night and day for the feeling.

To demonstrate how bored I was today at work, I partially designed an adjustable electromagnetic levitating platform for my trackball (and arm) while trying to design a floating laser mouse.
      I WAS supposed to investigate this xsane bug, never happened though :P.

I might build one if I can find the materials before I get disinterested in the idea.
      Kiibohd

Offline trievalot

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 05:34:04 »
      Glad they got there OK.....the Japan postal system seems better than Australias, but i think so is the north pole - they at least get letters from santa.

The grey one is from the numpad, the longer 0 key has a slightly different centre by the look of it. Plenty more M spares if you need any! (or anyone else - sorry Kishy!)
      [SIGPIC]

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #42 on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 07:18:36 »
      Yeah, post in Japan is amazing. The takkyubin service is even more awesome, I wish Canada had something like it (and as affordable).
      Kiibohd

Offline meltie

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 02 March 2010, 10:36:56 »
      Quote from: kishy;158944

I saw it! Great movie.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
      « Reply #44 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 15:19:47 »
      Great discovery and writeup HaaTa.

I was so fed up with the F's layout that I sold my pristine example a few months ago. I became interested in getting another after reading about your modification, and was lucky to purchase one through the GH classifieds from Skriefel.

I bought my first AT F for $5 as a bonus from a seller that I was buying another board from. The new one was more expensive at $60, but still a great price when you consider how well built, and rare they are.

Windows will just naturally pick up the scancode. No sudo involved.
      So will we need to make an autohotkey script to remap the new code, or will this not be necessary?

Again, incredible work perfecting the F, HaaTa.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #45 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 20:17:20 »
      You'll definitely need to use something to remap the key.

I have another mod I'm working on atm for the Model F. But its softwase based, and may take me a couple of weeks yet. It'll be for linux; however, if I'm successful I'll port it to windows.
      Kiibohd

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 05:09:31 »
      How do you guys live with the "small" Enter key? :) I keep missing it on a US keyboard!

Anyway, I reckon, if you can do the small Enter mod, the reverse could also be done? You know, remove that uglyass US Enter and place a big L Enter in its place! :)
      IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
      « Reply #47 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 05:14:33 »
      I find the ANSI/US enter preferable to the ISO enter, and that's coming from someone who learned to type on the UK layout.

Why? Because the ISO enter is so far over the right that you have to lift your hand to press it. With the ANSI enter it's properly on the home row so you can just hit it with your little finger without much hand movement.

Offline JBert

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 13:55:32 »
      Now a keyboard with a small left shift and a big enter would be nice... Does the right keypad under the left shift produce a working keycode?
      « Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2010, 13:59:50 by JBert »

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
      • Kiibohds!
      « Reply #49 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 17:37:16 »
      From my crappy pictures of the circuit board, I see no reasons why it shouldn't.

My next project is to add a bunch of extra keys, pretty much just splitting the shift keys and the numpad keys. I bought an XT not too long ago for this part. Unfortunately I sent it to my home in Canada, so I'll have to wait till the end of June to do it.
      Kiibohd