Author Topic: K65 RGB with 65g Zealios  (Read 2592 times)

Offline notbrain

K65 RGB with 65g Zealios
« on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:29:43 »
All the keys still work! I wasn't really gentle with it during the transformation so the metal plate took some dings, but nothing is really visible with the caps on. The feel

This is about 75% of the way through the desoldering process. I didn't want to admit it would take *adding* solder to suck out the original solder, but in the end it was only necessary for a select few difficult joints.

The biggest scare of the whole re-soldering process was the realization that a pin was bent when I had already soldered all but 3 keys on the first row and some anchors on the bottom on each side. Was able to desolder and replace it. HJJad it been deeper in would have been depressing.

143222-0

Just snipped all the pcb mount tabs before plate mounting, then lowered the PCB back down and started re-soldering.

143224-1

Tried a set meant for a Leopold, the DCS Cherry profile in navy, but the ctrl isn't the proper size.

143228-2

Went back to the original caps and the feel of the Zealios took about an hour to sink in, so great. I'm an MX Brown fan and have been putting up with the reds for about a year. Need to do a GON MX-MINI next and fill out the DCS profile caps and make it like a tank.

143230-3

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: K65 RGB with 65g Zealios
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 09:37:49 »
Interesting mod. How come you chose to mod your K65 rather than getting a new board?

Offline notbrain

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 02:52:23 »
Interesting mod. How come you chose to mod your K65 rather than getting a new board?

Because of the boards I'd like to get, most of them aren't currently available (easily, or cheaply) and I wanted to see if these zealios were compatible with my taste. Only factor was time and tools. Not all is 100% though, have a few keys that multi-enter. I probably should have been a little more gentle by spending more time on the desoldering. Still workable.

Offline harjoat

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 14:41:23 »
This looks dope, would look even better if you modded the plate and made is something reflective silver or white etc.