Author Topic: Laseron and UHMWPE Stem Review  (Read 8762 times)

Offline ThereminGoat

Laseron and UHMWPE Stem Review
« on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 20:51:02 »
Hey all,

As per my usual habits thus far, I bring to you another long writeup in the form of my review of Laserons and UHMWPE stems. You can find this in the link to my Review Folder on Google Drive where I house my other reviews and writeups including my most famous one of the Durock and Stealios controversy.

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/109xEdWBEvKmJfLeaMqXuQNnQhKXTdCJg?usp=sharing

Please feel free to reach out to me in DMs however you can get ahold of me to ask questions or simply say hello. Hope you all enjoy!

Cheers,
- Goat

Offline Skryzskruzzle

Re: Laseron and UHMWPE Stem Review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 11:32:54 »
Just stumbled across this thread randomly, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoy reading your switch reviews. They're really detailed, and written almost like a scientific paper, but in a good way. The little tidbits of controversy and backstory add a lot of character to your reviews, without detracting from the details one expects from a switch review.

Keep up the good work!  :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 11:49:01 »
I have some stems on the way to give it a try  :)

:thumb:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 12:13:58 »
Any notes on the sound after stem swaps? Review seems less detailed after the initial writeup  :-X

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 21:13:31 »
Just stumbled across this thread randomly, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoy reading your switch reviews. They're really detailed, and written almost like a scientific paper, but in a good way. The little tidbits of controversy and backstory add a lot of character to your reviews, without detracting from the details one expects from a switch review.

I'm glad you enjoy them! I'm in a research heavy, engineering field so writing like that is pretty much the norm on any given school assignment most weeks. I plan on doing more in the future so please keep a look out if you want to see some newer stuff in the future!

Any notes on the sound after stem swaps? Review seems less detailed after the initial writeup  :-X

So yeah, I can admit that the stems were a little bit light on the detail afterwards. There weren't really any appreciable differences in sound as typically drastic changes in sound come as a result of a housing swap as the housing is often what dictates how the sound travels from within the switch. As I do more linear reviews in the future I aim to include UHMWPE stem swaps into the review, so please keep an eye out for those in the future. (That is also part in parcel why I chose not to go super heavy on the details with this one.)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 21:18:00 »

I'm glad you enjoy them! I'm in a research heavy, engineering field so writing like that is pretty much the norm on any given school assignment most weeks. I plan on doing more in the future so please keep a look out if you want to see some newer stuff in the future!

So yeah, I can admit that the stems were a little bit light on the detail afterwards. There weren't really any appreciable differences in sound as typically drastic changes in sound come as a result of a housing swap as the housing is often what dictates how the sound travels from within the switch. As I do more linear reviews in the future I aim to include UHMWPE stem swaps into the review, so please keep an eye out for those in the future. (That is also part in parcel why I chose not to go super heavy on the details with this one.)

I've just been hoping for some solution to deepening switch sound. Seems that none I've tried sound the way I'd like. Anyway, thanks for the response :)

Offline alast

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 15:15:54 »
This is a rare and valuable research!!! I am glad that i came across this. Do you have a discord? I would like to chat you to ask you a few things as I am very interested in switches materials and their feels and sounds too! Hope I can learn more from you!

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 10:16:07 »
Of course! Feel free to drop a DM my way at ThereminGoat#2561 whenever you feel like it. Apologies for taking so long for the response - I've been a bit busy as of late because of all this COVID-19 craziness.