Author Topic: A 40% ISO-style layout  (Read 1260 times)

Offline sneakyfox

A 40% ISO-style layout
« on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 05:29:48 »
I have been searching for the right keyboard and layout for some time now and am finally coming to the conclusion that smaller is better and thus a 40% board is what's right for me.

But since I use a nordic dvorak layout I need the keyboard to accommodate that. That means that I need a base of 3x11 keys for letters of the alphabet (plus a few), as seen on this image:

The other keys around them are less important, just something that works out well.

But are there any boards out there which has this ISO-style base layout? I haven't seen any.

For example, Planck only has the 3x10 basic letter keys plus special keys. This KBDfans kit has a few more keys but also uses the ANSI base (left shift key is wide), and besides its quite wide.

Any input is welcome, thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 06:40:56 by sneakyfox »

Offline sneakyfox

Re: A 40% ISO-style layout
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 04:25:45 »
Is there really nothing out there? Damn I thought I finally knew what I wanted...

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 06:00:11 »
The great thing about mechanical keyboards is you can make it yourself! It might take a bit of work, but I'm sure you'll find it to be worth it in the end!
If you need any help with getting started, feel free to shoot me a message.

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 12:28:08 »
Thanks, that's nice of you. Problem is that I have zero experience working with this stuff and have no practice soldering. I suppose I could make it through putting together a DIY kit with hot swappable switches. But making my own PCB, that seems like asking a dog to grow wings and fly :)

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:14:32 »
it was easier than I expected when I did some of it - it will definitely be a better option if you modify an existing PCB but you are probably right. it might be a difficult challenge. i can do some research into it when i get home, see if i can find a 40% dvorak keyboard that suits your needs. 

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:52:02 »
Thanks - any suggestions would be very welcome!

It doesn't specifically have to be dvorak though, just as long as there are 3x11 keys for alphabetical characters. So basically what I would call an ISO-style 40% layout (as opposed to ANSI-style), if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:58:35 by sneakyfox »

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:54:09 »
would this sort of thing be suitable?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3414335

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:58:14 »
No I'm afraid not. On that one you would miss two key columns, the ones that would normally hold shift/ctrl and backspace/enter.

In that sense it should probably be a 3x13. I just didn't want to write that because I have seen different ways of fitting the non-character keys (shift, ctrl, space, FN, etc) in there. That's why I just wrote 3x11 for characters (including comma, period, etc).

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:59:54 »
Also I guess ortholinear is difficult for ISO style? With the first key in the bottom row not being Z, you would have the keys line up rather strangely.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 06:02:26 »
Yeah sorry about that. I'll have a proper look when I get home, but I can't do a lot right now as don't have the software I need to edit things on this laptop.
I think I understand what you're saying with the modifiers. I'll make a quick mockup of it when I get home.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 06:08:15 »
After another quick look at the design of 40% keyboards, they seem to commonly split the spacebar in half, dedicating one half to backspace and the other to space. Is this something you'd want, or would you want a regular spacebar and positioning of the backspace (top right).

Offline sneakyfox

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 06:20:02 »
I'm not set on anything particular in that regard. There are several options that might work. Most important is that there are layers available through FN keys, which I imagine is the case for all 40% keyboards. And that there is something like QMK to make it possible to do custom layouts.

And, of course, that all the character keys (3x11) are available). Maybe this makes more sense: I just want to have the base keys on this image available, then I'll figure the rest out "later".