Author Topic: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% w/ OLED and Knob (4/25 UPDATE - 5/6 GB START)  (Read 131081 times)

Offline upas

NEWEST UPDATE 4/25
Hi everyone,

I received the most recent round of prototyping today, and I'm thrilled to say the quality met my bar. While the prototype is not perfect, it gives me enough confidence to move forward!
The primary issue is that the color of this prototype is close to the desired navy blue color, but does not match it exactly. This will be fixed.

I'm not quite ready to release GB details just yet, but the planned Group Buy start is Monday May 6th, 5PM EDT, barring any setbacks. It will be run FCFS on cannonkeys.com. I'll release full details by Monday April 29th.

As a teaser, I've shown some of the previously unreleased weight design here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwsS4tUHehE/

And here's a few more photos:

Original Post

I'm Upas, the owner of the soon-to-be launching keyboard store Cannon Keys (more on that soon, keep your eyes open!) Some of you might know me from the Luddite group buy I ran earlier on reddit. I've been working on a custom keyboard for the past few months. I started it as a passion project for myself, but I've shown it to a few folks, and there seems to be interest, so I've decided to run an IC. I call it the Satisfaction 75. Everything from the PCB to case was designed by me.

Renders: Tesletron

IC FORM: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfWTgOMbWs8jrn2GxJXsQXw7wFdeXDO3Gk6r4goVjbGYREM_w/viewform?usp=sf_link

Why the name? Well, I wanted to make a board I could use with GMK Calm Depths - I really wanted a Navy Blue keyboard case. As such, I thought I should lean nautical for the name of the keyboard. As my store's first group buy, I also wanted it to be at least a little related to "Cannons".

The Satisfaction was Pirate Captain Henry Morgan's (the same Captain Morgan from the rum) flagship. Pirates participated in naval warfare, so they used cannons. The curve in the back of the case is supposed to be reminiscent of a pirate ship. And throughout this whole development process, I've had a lot of satisfying moments. I hope to share that satisfying feeling with you!

In terms of the layout - I've noticed there aren't a ton of 75% customs for some reason compared to the number of 60, 65, and TKL layouts. Personally, I like having both the escape and ` key, but don't want a TKL, so I decided to make a 75%. The offset arrows are definitely inspired by the CA66 - I just think it looks great. The separation also makes the arrow keys easier to find. The OLED screen was inspired by the Hadron v3, and uses a lot of the great code that Ishtob wrote to make that a reality.

I'll start with a list of the planned features:
  • OLED Screen
  • Real time clock
  • Rotary encoder with really nice knobs
  • VIA Configurator Support and Powered by QMK
  • STM32 ARM Microprocessor
  • South facing backlight LEDs (single color)
  • "Burger" o-ring top mount plate
  • 6 degree slope
  • Aluminum Top and Bottom, FR4 or Brass plate, Brass weight
  • Right side USB-C

Layouts:

Colors:
  • Aluminum case - Undecided, but navy blue will be one of them
  • Brass - Should be available in a chrome/silver finish as well as your typical brass/gold finish. Not sure if I'll offer PVD, Sandblasting, etc. That is all to be determined.
  • FR4 plates - Blue, Red, Green, White, Yellow, Black can all be done, with MOQ of 10.

I plan on offering extra PCBs and extra plates during the GB.

Now I'll elaborate on some of the key features:
  • OLED Screen - There is an OLED screen that displays which mods are active, which layer is active, and what locks are set. It also shows what the rotary encoder will do, and provides clear feedback when you change the rotary's behavior. It also ties in heavily with the next feature:
  • Real Time Clock - To my knowledge, no one has put a clock on their keyboard yet. While it's far from a game changing feature, the OLED display will also show the current date and time. Furthermore, it will persist even when you unplug your keyboard.
  • Rotary encoder with nice knobs - This board will come with a rotary encoder which supports infinite turning and also has a press function. It can be toggled to control volume, screen brightness, backlight brightness, and mouse scrolling. It can be toggled by pressing Fn + The rotary encoder, and VIA support for encoder configuration is also planned.
  • VIA - It's awesome, and this board will have it
  • STM32 ARM Microprocessor - I chose to use the STM32F072CBT6 for this board. It has more flash space than the typical atmega chips used in most customs. Again, to my knowledge, no one has made a production board using this chip. It's definitely been a challenge to build out support, but I'm excited and satisfied with the feature set this board now has.
  • "Burger" mount - The plate never has to touch the top case - it touches an o-ring instead. You can change the hardness of the o-rings and tighten/loosen some screws to slightly change the feel of your board.

Current Status:
The board is currently not feature complete. I've been making iterative design changes to the case to deliver the best product possible. At the same time, I've also been working on the QMK side of things, trying to finish all the features. VIA support isn't built out yet, and VIA itself doesn't support rotary encoders, but I am working on it.
I have more ideas to potentially implement as well.

I have run a single one-off manufacturing of an early design, which proved incredibly useful. Hopefully the next round will nail it, but I'll continue to iterate until it's what I would consider perfect.

Expected Price:
I can definitely keep this under $400. The cheaper the better. The price honestly depends on how many people are interested, but has a $400 ceiling for sure.

I have a ton of people to thank, without their help none of this would have been possible. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of people here as well:
  • Ishtob - For the Hadronv3, the OLED idea and code, and just being incredibly friendly, supportive, and helpful all the time
  • Tesletron - Holy crap these renders are amazing. Excited to be working with you!
  • ai03 - For your help with PCB design, and your amazing guides
  • hiney - BURGER MOUNT
  • pngu - For showing me your examples and giving me the confidence to get my own one off
  • yiancar - My brother in ARMs trying to get more different ARM chip support into QMK :)
  • Wilba/Olivia - VIA is the greatest
  • Peioiris- Thank you for showing me that the f0xx series is a viable option
  • #kb-design - Too many people in here to name who I've received great help from

EDIT: (1/20/19)
Some updates:
  • I'll probably be adding ISO support to the PCB - it will require considerable effort on my part, but it's worth it.
  • A 3d printed 2nd round prototype will be arriving next week. I hope to have a build done with it next weekend, so you can see the updated design. A machined prototype will follow after, or another 3d printed one, if the design has to be revised considerably.
  • I don't plan on adding hotswap support, per key RGB or RGB underglow, or adding an acrylic diffuser. I will add breakouts for RGB underglow so that you can add strips if you'd like. All those features will add cost, and I personally don't care about them, so I'm going to leave them out.
  • Mill max sockets will be supported though, of course, so if you really wanted hotswap, you could get it that way.
  • I don't plan on adding any further bottom row support. The WKL option right now is 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5. It's symmetric and gets rid of the win key. Blockers are very unlikely

(1/30/19)
  • The 3d printed prototype of the 2nd revision has arrived. More edits will be necessary, but we're addressing smaller and smaller issues
  • I spent some time updating the PCB - it now supports ISO. There is still no plan to run ISO plates in the GB, but a universal DXF of the plate will be released
  • Development on the case is kind of halted as it is Chinese New Year and factories are closed

(3/24/19) READ THIS UPDATE
Hello everyone,

I have some unfortunate news. This weekend, I received the two Satisfaction 75 prototypes. And unfortunately, they both fell far short of my quality bar. While the machining was decent for the most part, the finishing quality was quite poor, and frankly unacceptable.

This means two things are going to happen - 1st, this group buy is now going to be delayed again. I'm going to have to spend more of my own money to do a 3rd prototyping round with another factory. That being said, I am very happy with my decision to frontload all the spending and prototyping in order to execute a successful group buy, and I will continue to use this method until I'm confident that my selected manufacturer can deliver.

Second, I am now opening up an IC for my Brutal60 board, which will run before Satisfaction 75, so that I have time to work with a new factory on achieving the desired quality. I have already run a private group buy for the Brutal60, and already have a factory that can meet the quality bar, so as long as there is interest, the Group Buy for Brutal60 will start very soon. Keep your eyes open for a post on that soon!

But not all is lost! I still have two more functioning prototypes of the Satisfaction75, which I will be using to show off some of the cool features, and reveal some new information :). Here are some photos, where you can see some of the issues. I also wish I had a more fitting keycap set for this, but I had to use ePBT Greyscale, since it was all I had available.

Example of a few issues (there were many more):

It's unfortunate that the group buy will be delayed, but please understand this is for the best. I want the Satisfaction 75 to be a satisfying experience when it is finally delivered, and I'm not willing to compromise on that.

P.S. If you haven't already, check out my store, https://cannonkeys.com ! We recently launched and hope we have something you might like!
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2019, 19:46:37 by upas »

Offline upas

Re: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:40:50 »
I'll use this post for prototype pictures.

There is an album of extra renders available here:
https://imgur.com/a/zx6fvwB

Thanks so much to Tesletron for these great renders!

I also created an early prototype. The design has changed a bunch since this point, but in case you want to see:

(The knob now has a specific spot, a littler higher up, and is shaped to be knob specific. I wanted to make the knob optional at first, but it's just better as a builtin requirement).

(There are blockers in the F row now instead of empty gaps)

(This plate was simply polished - there is no other finish on it)

Currently, the bottom is very simple. But I have something cool in mind. It'll go with the name of the board. It's Stainless Steel in this prototype, but could also be brass.

I made some videos with the first prototype:
Encoder behavior Demonstration 1:

OLED/Encoder Demonstration 2:

Typing sounds:

Here is the second prototype:
Under good light:

(The gaps you see for the plate are just there for the 3d print)

Under not so good light:

Note the knob is off center. This is because I didn't measure properly and put the encoder footprint in the wrong spot on the PCB.
That has been fixed.

In terms of case design, we're pretty much finalized, other than minor details which will make the case easier to machine, and don't matter to the aesthetic.
Notice there's a gap for the knob now above the right side 3 extra keys. Also notice the added blockers on the F row.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2019, 20:30:32 by upas »

Offline upas

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:40:58 »
Questions and Answers:

Q: How hard would it be to program or get working? Do I need a good amount of knowledge in the area to do anything meaningful?
A: It will come with firmware programmed and working. You will not have to worry about progamming it, but it runs QMK so you can if you want to. If you want to change the keymap easily, you'll be able to use VIA to do so.

Q: Will the PCB support ISO so I can order my own custom plate?
A: The PCB currently doesn't support ISO. If it seems there is a lot of demand for ISO, I can add it.
A: UPDATE - The PCB now supports ISO, so you can order a custom plate.

Q: Any weights design in mind?
A: Yes, right now it's very simple, and it might stay that way, but depending on cost I have an idea I would like to try.

Q: Is the rotary encoder mandatory?
A: Yes. At first, I wanted it to be optional, but it looked bad, so now it's mandatory. Don't worry, it will be satisfying to use.

Q: Hotswap?
A: No

Q: What are the knobs gonna be?
A: Brass knobs in silver, black, and gold will be available. Plus maybe some special ones...

Q: What does the knob do?
A: The knob has multiple modes, and the mode is shown on the OLED screen

Fn+Knob press changes the knob mode

Here are the modes and their behaviors:
Abbreviation - Full name - Clockwise/Counterclockwise/Press
VOL - Volume - Volume Up/Down/Mute
MED - Media - Next Track/Previous Track/PlayPause
SCR - Scroll - Mouse Wheel Down/Mouse Wheel Up/Mouse Wheel Press
BRT - Brightness - Brightness Up/Brightness Down/Nothing
BKL - Backlight - Backlight Intensity Up/Down/Toggle breathing
CLK - Clock Set - Increase selected number (hour or minute)/Decrease selected number (hour or minute)/Toggle hour or minute (Clock gets saved when you leave this mode)

The default knob behavior can be set in VIA

Q: Can you add X feature to the knob?
A: I will add suggested features that I find useful, but only if they don't require any additional software on the computer. (This means, no notifications, no volume meter, etc. - if you're unsure, feel free to ask)

Q: Can I get the OLED screen in my favorite color?
A: The OLED screen will be offered in white and blue only.

Q: Will you add bluetooth?
A: There are no plans to add bluetooth.

Q: Will you offer aluminum plates?
A: The current plan is just to offer brass and FR4, plate files will be released for those who want others.

Q: Why did you add a cut under spacebar on the plate?
A: I wanted the force distribution to be even under the spacebar so regardless of where you hit it, it would sound the same.

Q: Do you have those cool displacement graphs for your plate like Windeh?
A: Yes, they are here: https://imgur.com/a/E2ctUR3 . This is super imperfect because the switches and PCB do affect a lot, and this is done using consistent force across the whole plate, which isn't really how you transfer force to keyboards. And I don't think they mean much. But if you want them, here they are.

Q: What about blockers?
A: The 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 layout is supposed to be for WKL. I'm not going to offer blockers, it will make the GB more expensive and more complicated.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2019, 17:03:00 by upas »

Offline Lbibass

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:43:32 »
This looks absolutely fantastic. Great job with the design, I've enjoyed watching it progress. :D

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:43:56 »
This is really unique. I love it.

Offline dimo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:46:23 »
How hard would it be to program or get working? Do I need a good amount of knowledge in the area to do anything meaningful?

Offline upas

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:46:55 »
How hard would it be to program or get working? Do I need a good amount of knowledge in the area to do anything meaningful?

It will come with firmware programmed and working. You will not have to worry about it.

If you want to change the keymap, you can use VIA to do so.

Offline dimo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:47:35 »

It will come with firmware programmed and working. You will not have to worry about it.

If you want to change the keymap, you can use VIA to do so.

That sounds great! I’ll definitely be in then, this is really cool.

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:52:54 »
This looks really nice!

Add WKL blockers and I am very interested!
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline upas

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:01:02 »
This looks really nice!

Add WKL blockers and I am very interested!

I don't have blockers planned - you'd really only get one on the left side - but if there is a lot of demand, I might consider it.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:03:03 »
Very cool design! Only thing I would change is blockers to separate the F row. The spacing in between is weird.

Offline upas

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:03:56 »
Very cool design! Only thing I would change is blockers to separate the F row. The spacing in between is weird.

That is fixed in the next revision of the prototype. The renders show the up to date design. The prototype was an old version.

Offline tiydal

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:05:56 »
Looks lovely! watching the thread.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:10:13 »
Very satisfying  :thumb:
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline gideon

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:13:20 »
Very interesting design. Would love to see a wkl blocker too and I am not sure about the rotary. Unless it can be implemented flawlessly, it may do more harm than good. If you can make it optional that would be best. Any weights design in mind ?

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:18:16 »
Will the PCB support ISO so I can order my own custom plate?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:22:56 »
Very interesting design. Would love to see a wkl blocker too and I am not sure about the rotary. Unless it can be implemented flawlessly, it may do more harm than good. If you can make it optional that would be best. Any weights design in mind ?

At this point, the rotary is going to be mandatory. It will be implemented in a very satisfying way.

When my 3d printed 2nd prototype arrives, I will try to take a video showing it off.

Offline upas

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:26:36 »
Will the PCB support ISO so I can order my own custom plate?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

At the moment, the PCB doesn't support ISO.

I can add ISO support to the PCB if there is enough demand.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:33:32 »
Okay this is epic

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:36:20 »
Yes, more boards with my favorite layout!

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:36:55 »

At this point, the rotary is going to be mandatory. It will be implemented in a very satisfying way.

When my 3d printed 2nd prototype arrives, I will try to take a video showing it off.

Awesome! The renders look great!

Any chance to add hotswap to pcb as well?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:43:16 »
Looks good and love seeing this type of 75% The renders look great and good luck with the GB. :thumb:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:54:19 »
I really like it overall.  I think the knob would be easier to use if it was separated from the keys in it’s own cutout though.  Without that your fingers would hit the key below it accidentally unless the knob is really tall.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:57:05 »
This is amazing. I mean it. Good job, everything from its unique features to the design to the layout and the blocker/staggers that make it look like a 1800 more than a 75%, it's just all around very good.

Offline Anaconda

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:17:07 »
Iso support for the pcb would be appreciated. Also i think the round part should be straight myself but if the theme is a pirate ship then i guess it makes sense. Also the tolerances for the knob need to be good otherwise it will look ugly. Looking forward to this!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:18:17 »
That's soooo unique. Consider me in alread, the rotary thing + screen on a 75% is epic.

Please just keep THESE LAYOUTS! (1.25x3 +6.25). To bad for iso people, but i would like to keep it ANSI, i don't like cheese plates.

Brass would be appreciated! Brass pvd Knob?  Brass plate option pls

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:23:29 by KaosJ »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:19:46 »
Very cool,  (excuse me if you already said this above) will the entire assembly be on one PCB?

Offline vpr

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:24:04 »
I like what I'm seeing for the most part. I think the corners in the top left and top right have a weird look to them when viewing them head on because there is a weird gap caused by the side profile curve and the bottom stand.

Offline vosechu

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:27:00 »
Please tell me you are planning on sourcing a compass artisan for the rotary knob!

Also, this is beautiful! Well done!

Offline LeoShi

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:33:10 »
very interested in this. Cool design

Offline hndle

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:35:00 »
very interesting

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:36:42 »
Please tell me you are planning on sourcing a compass artisan for the rotary knob!

please this

Offline GSV-CargoCult

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:50:01 »
Looks gorgeous!  Shame about the lack of ISO for me.

Offline travwal

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 14:00:36 »
This is unique! I'm really interested

Offline Anakey

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 14:16:41 »
if pcb could be iso and plate files released so that ISO plates can be cut then there would no no need for more cuts in the plate.

Offline gideon

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 15:06:54 »
Will the rotary dial be aluminium as well? It is going to be a pity if it come out as some cheap plastic. Can the edge profile of the dial be the same as the board profile. I reckon the dial my look weird to be so rounded compared to the board's edge profile.

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 15:30:07 »
Oh, my god. That is seriously awesome, this looks really nice and is very unique I love it! Definitely count me in!

Offline dhb82

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 15:49:42 »
I really like this, well done. Too bad about no ISO support for us in the EU, but what can you do. May you succeed with your endeavours.

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:35:59 »
This board has my satisfaction of both design and hardware specs  :eek:.

Would it be an option for a custom (brass/alu?) badge instead of an OLED screen? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the ability to customise the screen but concern its replaceability.

I'm not a hardware guy, but to have a real-time clock, I assume you have to have the battery (like CR2032), right?

Have you considered the usb port cutout being tighter?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:45:10 by qq »

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:38:57 »
This looks really cool, looking forward to see how it progresses
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline upas

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:54:52 »

Would it be an option for a custom (brass/alu?) badge instead of an OLED screen? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the ability to customise the screen but concern its replaceability.

I'm not a hardware guy, but to have a real-time clock, I assume you have to have the battery (like CR2032), right?

Thank you :)

A badge could be an option, I guess. I wasn't planning on it, so I think OLED is the way to go.

In terms of replacability, the OLED screen is a $2 component with 4 leads. Its quite easy to desolder and put in a new one. I wouldn't be so worried about it.

There is a battery - it's a CR1025.

The USB port could be tighter if it extruded from the PCB. But I really wanted the port to be deep, as if a cannon could come out of it, following the pirate ship theme.

Offline upas

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:56:31 »

Compass artisan knob you say... 🤔

Offline Owl-

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:03:12 »
It looks fantastic. For the OLED screen, please make it raised higher on the PCB so it matches or looks close to the render. The prototype makes the screen look kind of like a deep well IMO.

Apart from that, I'd seriously love and pray if you would support this bottom layout!

I'm all about uniformity with the bottom row. This is also a great option for anyone looking out for WKL with blockers.

Offline rondg

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:19:35 »
Will the LCD always be lit? I think it should have a sleep mode or something like that...

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:22:43 »

Thank you :)

A badge could be an option, I guess. I wasn't planning on it, so I think OLED is the way to go.

In terms of replacability, the OLED screen is a $2 component with 4 leads. Its quite easy to desolder and put in a new one. I wouldn't be so worried about it.

There is a battery - it's a CR1025.

The USB port could be tighter if it extruded from the PCB. But I really wanted the port to be deep, as if a cannon could come out of it, following the pirate ship theme.

:thumb:

Offline upas

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:39:16 »
It looks fantastic. For the OLED screen, please make it raised higher on the PCB so it matches or looks close to the render. The prototype makes the screen look kind of like a deep well IMO.

Apart from that, I'd seriously love and pray if you would support this bottom layout!
Show Image

I'm all about uniformity with the bottom row. This is also a great option for anyone looking out for WKL with blockers.

The OLED screen will be higher on the PCB - about 2 mm from the top of the case. It is slightly inset, but that's by design. I'm continuing to refine the design to make the OLED work in a satisfying way.
In terms of more layouts, I think the only one I am planning on adding is ISO. If its easy to add the additional one, though, I can do it.

Will the LCD always be lit? I think it should have a sleep mode or something like that...

It has a sleep mode. It's always on when you are using the keyboard, but goes to sleep on idle.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 17:41:46 by upas »

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 18:25:19 »
This is one of those boards that could be truly amazing.. The fine tuned things like the logo and the rotary knobs are going to make it or break it for me.. Will there be more iterations of prototyping? Will you be prototyping the knobs?

Offline Starston3

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 18:49:39 »
In for one. Maybe transparent oled screen option?

Offline swangful

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:02:35 »
awesome design, i could do without the little cannon branding but thats just nitpicking

Offline rondg

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:05:33 »
I think it would also be amazing if the knob is positioned at the side, right or back (where the USB is) so that we still have 4 keys at the right instead of 3. No idea though how hard it will be to implement.
But as it is, still awesome.  ;D