Author Topic: Hedgehog 60  (Read 7899 times)

Offline max3-2

• Git Home
Hedgehog 60
« on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 07:02:51 »
Edit: Surplus available, see last post!

Hi,

I recently started a project to built my own 60ish keyboard and have the project placed on git now. Feel free to take a look and let me know what you think! Project can be accessed here with all details: https://github.com/max3-2/hedgehog-kb

Some core features
  • 60-something layout with 61 keys
  • Unified daughterboard, QMK support
  • Case design (not done yet) which will be laser-cut with a layer of felt or wool for damping
  • spring-mounted plate
  • Hotswap sockets

The current status which will get updates here:
  • Layout done
  • PCB designed and ready for prototyping

Currently, I plan to release everything on git, and I do not plan on commercially selling parts. However there are good chances of leftover PCBs or case parts since I wont fabricate just one. Let me know if you’re interested but I will wait prototyping of PCB and case before getting anything ready.

Best!
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2023, 03:47:48 by max3-2 »

Offline max3-2

• Git Home
Re: Hedgehog 60
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 04:56:35 »
Added details on case and mount design, feel free to check out the details on git. Current CAD render attached

https://imgur.com/a/vMM5kzg

Offline max3-2

• Git Home
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 04:04:03 »
PCBs have arrived and work, plates have been ordered. Case will be next. Again, see git for more details!

Offline max3-2

• Git Home
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 November 2022, 15:12:48 »
Case fabrication is on the way, just the plate and the weight are missing  :D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 November 2022, 05:57:31 »
So close to the perfect layout (split BS and an extra switch next to Return would be it, if I could ANSI.  There's no room for the left ISO key :() and I love the logo :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline max3-2

• Git Home
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 14:26:41 »
So close to the perfect layout (split BS and an extra switch next to Return would be it, if I could ANSI.  There's no room for the left ISO key :() and I love the logo :thumb:

Thanks! A switch backspace optional layout is something I might add in a V1.1 - thats a good idea I think!
I had the extra key at return and removed it since it end up at the same right edge as the mod key in the row above which did not work for me for this layout just from the way it looks. More ISO-like layouts is hard with this small left side i guess.

Offline max3-2

• Git Home
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 14:34:32 »
I got the plates delivered early and finalized a prototype. Sadly, some issues with the plates remain but the impact is small (well technically, I hope I can get a new batch of plates with a visible logo since the fact that this wasnt engraved well and is almost invisible makes me sad  ;) ).

Teaser image below, more details again on the git readme. I like the look as it came out with the matte plate and the visible mount. Typing feels really good with just some damping on the pretty harsh brass plate. Spring mount was a good choice and allows some flex. Sound is great for my perception (albeit the stabilizers are no good choice here), if someone is interested I might find a way to record a test!

Offline max3-2

• Git Home
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 03:47:17 »
So after a while of use I can only encourage you to try this board / layout - I really like it not only because I made it ;) get some leftovers below and just cut your case :)

Surplus available right now (prefer EU shipping...), PM me if you're interested. PCBs are fully soldered, only RST switch is missing and LED jumper.

- 4 PCBS, one has prototyping marks (scratches, ISP header soldered). All work. 25€ (Proto one 10€)
- 3 Daughterboards, 10€
- 5 Felt dampers, 5€
- 3 Plates, brass. One bead blasted, two shiny. One shiny has a small ding on the side, probably can sand. Blasted 15€, shiny 10€, dinged 5€. Switch openings are tight on all plates, need some patience during assembly but working.
- 5 weights, brass, shiny. 5€

Pack of all until available: 35€

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 January 2023, 06:59:57 »
This is the first time I see such a keyboard, very cool