Author Topic: a maybe silly topic regarding me choosing keyswitches..  (Read 3479 times)

Offline simplycanada

a maybe silly topic regarding me choosing keyswitches..
« on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 08:49:38 »
I'll prefer to order from keychron as after all it would ship in the same parcel the keyboard itself comes in (leaving only the keycap to be shipping-paid for separately)

even then mm I thought I'll ask for any second opinions if there are any here as much as I know its really down to personal preferences etc..
I'm going with narrowing it down to the red, yellow, or silver ones as shown in the feature table about halfway down the page;
https://keychron.ca/products/keychron-k-pro-switch?variant=40297910009939

what I'm wondering about is re that if I find the keys on an appledesign (yes, that old pre-usb thing indeed!) just a little on the firm side and these misc random hp/dell cheap keyboards at the public library somewhat mild .. does that mean that I won't be beating myself up if I somehow decided to go with the silver keyswitches? even then I imagine that the red/yellow might feel similar force-wise to the appledesign beside being a little less noisy?

Offline Maledicted

Re: a maybe silly topic regarding me choosing keyswitches..
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 02:51:58 »
I think you may be doing things backwards here. What switches have you tried already? I have never tried Keychron's switches, but those appear to be MX clones like most others on the market.

You're likely to find even the yellows to be lighter than most rubber domes you have ever tried. I have tried some pretty stiff HP dome boards. The silvers actuate higher than the rest, and reds are already so light for a good deal of people that they accidentally actuate keys by resting their fingers on them. If applicable, this will be even worse with the silvers.

All of the switches you've narrowed down to are linears. Have you used linear switches before? What is the use-case for this board?

If the board is not hot swap and you're going into this blind, you should probably get a switch tester to get a feel for your preferences first.

Offline simplycanada

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 05:58:05 »
thanks for the reply maledicted I almost forgot I had made this post .. a few days later of much online surfing, I decidedly ended up a bit too annoyed with the compromised layout (not tsangan, beside the wrong kind of numpad) that I decided to not actively look into keychrons anymore .. by now for certain going for a custom hotswap pcb soon, cheers still

regarding accidental actuations, it may sound a little weird but I've just a few rare times had exactly the opposite (especially with that the public library branches uses these capacitive touchscreen on the checkout computers and there is a very particular one that I know spats 'not a valid user' at me a lot due to repetitively missing characters (re account # being inputted) if I only use my normal level of touch on it. interestingly enough a particular accessibility-friendly resistive touchscreen one at one of the branches I do use at times is sensitive enough that I can lightly brush it rapidly with my wooly gloves on and it'll still fully input with zero errors every single time 20+ times over)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 14:30:37 »
Not sure how common Tsangan might be with hot swap boards. It looks like 1upkeyboards has the pi60 HSE. KBDFans used to have a kbd6x as well, which appears to still be available here but it doesn't mention that layout and those hot swap sockets on the bottom row don't seem very ... flexible.

Neither of those will have arrow keys then, if that matters. I know that's a no-go for me. The soldered version of the XD87 appears to support it ... but not the hot swap one.

What do you attribute those mistakes to in regards to capacitive vs resistive screens? It sounds to me, and I could only assume, that in that case it is actually how sensitive and/or lacking in tactile feedback the capacitive screens are by their nature.