Author Topic: What is your best switch for SA keycaps profile?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
What is your best switch for SA keycaps profile?
« on: Wed, 25 January 2023, 06:35:26 »
I've tried different switches for my favourite profile - SA - from mx blacks, Tealios, Zelios, to topre 45,55,60g. I would love to finally pick a perfect one, leaning towards topre, but sometimes they feel hollow, empty or something, maybe I should choose different one or mod the hell out of those topre?

Which is your fav switch for SA caps?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

Re: What is your best switch for SA keycaps profile?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 07:42:33 »
No SA lovers?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 08:15:17 »
SA feels really nice on most of the newer TTC switches.  Ace, wild, matrix, etc….  They are very smooth with little wobble and don’t bind on off-center press even with SA caps.  Those are my favorite for SA at the moment.  I also like JWK moss and snow. More wobble than TTC but still smooth on off-center press

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 12:16:07 »
I only like linears with SA since, the keycaps are thick making the tactility less felt from tactile switches but, with linears and a flat board they can be nice. Keyboards these days are 6o and SA on top is just asking for medical issues in the future.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 12:44:43 »
Love SA on flat boards

I don't care about sound.

Bykos 4 Life

Offline siggie0815

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 17:32:48 »
Hey,

I use my SA set with the U4Ts 62g, and its quite nice. I don't like the high amount of tactility and the heavy SA caps compensate a bit of that. However, for the sabilized keys I had to put in some heavier springs (but can't remember what I used).

Also I have to agree that TTC switches are nice with the high profile as wobble is very little on these (I tested Bluish White, Wild 42g and Bluish Wild).

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 17:53:44 »
Anyone like them on topre (modded with mx sliders of course)?

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 00:42:37 »
I had some SP Industrial SA keycaps on a Realforce RGB.  They felt great, but I didn't like the way they looked.  The keycaps looked too retro for the RGB's modern angular case, in my opinion.  I have the keycaps on a Cherry G80-3494 with silent black switches currently, and they look great on that one. I tried them on a Filco with brown switches and I agree with one of the previous posters that what little tactility brown switches have is completely gone with the SA keycaps.  They don't feel right anymore. 

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 03:21:26 »
I had some SP Industrial SA keycaps on a Realforce RGB.  They felt great, but I didn't like the way they looked.  The keycaps looked too retro for the RGB's modern angular case, in my opinion.  I have the keycaps on a Cherry G80-3494 with silent black switches currently, and they look great on that one. I tried them on a Filco with brown switches and I agree with one of the previous posters that what little tactility brown switches have is completely gone with the SA keycaps.  They don't feel right anymore.

But do you think that heavy linears like mx blacks are ok with SA?

Offline Riverman

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 11:37:25 »
Personally, I think blacks are fine with SA keycaps, but it seems like blacks feel a little lighter on a PCB mount keyboard like my G80-3494.  They felt heavier the last time I tried them on a more normal plate-mount keyboard. 

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 14:01:17 »
Cherry black spring weight is fine, but they do bind on off center presses, especially towards the top.  Like if you press on the top edge of R1 caps (function and number row), they will bind.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 12:48:24 »
Not SA, but my MT3 caps really make my Zeal clickiez sing. Nice and low in my NCR 80.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023