geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Who want the ROLLS ROYCE of KEYCAPS? Part 1

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rob27shred:
Gonna be honest, this is a bad ideal. Not many care about the quality of the packaging & shrink wrap, most just care about the quality of the caps & the caps making it to them in good shape. NK is selling all alum caps for around $300 with pretty good packaging which would represent the current "Rolls Royce" of keycaps to most. What is it that you could offer that would be worth $500 more? Unless it's a top end keyboard that comes with the caps I think your gonna find most people in the hobby very uninterested in this ideal.

ItIsWritten:

--- Quote from: Slywanin on Sat, 04 February 2023, 11:14:53 ---Raily Rusive, Thank you so much for the input.

On the subject of high quality, premium keycaps:
What would deter an enthusiast from getting an all aluminum keycap set?

Is it the price, colour offerings, the "feeling" ... ?

What gives?

--- End quote ---
I have an all aluminum set. It's okay, but for comfort plastic is better. Same with keyboards really. Aluminum boards look fantastic, but a good quality plastic board has a nicer sound.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Photekq:
People do pay $800+ for keycap sets alone.

But the thing is, they're from vintage keyboards made in the 80s/90s.

All of the "best keycaps" were made back then; even if you went with the best manufacturers of today, you wouldn't be able to match that quality. To do that you'd need to manufacture them yourself.

Slywanin:

--- Quote from: ItIsWritten on Sat, 04 February 2023, 11:31:21 ---
--- Quote from: Slywanin on Sat, 04 February 2023, 11:14:53 ---Raily Rusive, Thank you so much for the input.

What gives?

--- End quote ---
I have an all aluminum set. It's okay, but for comfort plastic is better. Same with keyboards really. Aluminum boards look fantastic, but a good quality plastic board has a nicer sound.

--- End quote ---

Define Comfort.

Friction, temperature, texture?

ItIsWritten:

--- Quote from: Slywanin on Sat, 04 February 2023, 12:15:57 ---
--- Quote from: ItIsWritten on Sat, 04 February 2023, 11:31:21 ---

What gives?

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Define Comfort.

Friction, temperature, texture?

--- End quote ---
All three. They feel cold, slightly rough edges, and they will actually ruin your stems if you're not careful.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice set to have and it looks exclusive, but a good pbt or abs set is better for daily use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version