Author Topic: [IC] eucrite65 keyboard case  (Read 9453 times)

Offline Ealdin

[IC] eucrite65 keyboard case
« on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 15:17:25 »

Let me introduce you the eucrite65, another 65% keyboard case, but with some twists this time!

eucrite65 is a layered acrylic sheet-style keyboard case for any solderable 65% PCBs on the market. The unique aspects of the case are the dual brass weights on the bottom and the "integrated" FR4 plate.
"Integrated" because it's one of the many layers that make up the whole case. On the other hand the switch plate itself is connected with leaf springs to the outer frame, which provide you some flexibility and isolation by default. However you can breake off almost all of these spring-like arms (except the 4 outer most ones) to increases the flex.
And on the top of that the switch plate has two-sided graphics which can be seen through the slightly opaque acrylic sheets.

Prototype pictures

Additional picture of the prototype: https://imgur.com/a/sg30Ah6

Plate

The plate has 5 spring arms, which can be broken out as they have mouse bites where they are connected to the switchplate and the plate's frame. In this way, you will be able to adjust the flex of your keyboard. The plate has a small amount of flex, when all the arms are attached. Remove the 3 arms in the middle (highlighted in light blue colour on the image above) for slightly more flexibility. If you would like to experience the full f l e x, break away the other 4 arms (highlighted in blue).
To demonstrate how it looks like, I made a video:

Gallery of plate prototypes: https://imgur.com/a/NI5vN8p

Typing test

Features of the case:
  • 65% layout with blocker
  • 6 degree typing angle
  • 7 layers of 3mm acrylic sheets + 3 layers for feet (matte on one side)
  • dual sandblasted brass weights
  • FR4 plate with flex cuts and breakable springs for adjustable flexibility
  • FR4 plate colour variants: black (white silkscreen) ; white (black silkscreen) and blue (white silkscreen)
  • layouts options: split Backspace, stepped Caps Lock, ISO enter, split left Shift, 6.25U spacebar
  • compatible PCBs: KBDfans KBD67 Rev2 and Mark II; YMD68; Parallel 65%
  • price: 109EUR

Layout options

The case kit contains:
  • 8pcs 3mm acrylic sheets (clear, one side matte, one side shiny)
  • 2pcs 3mm acrylic sheets (clear)
  • 1pc FR4 switch plate
  • 2pcs brass weights (sandblasted, e-coated)
  • 6pcs 15mm standoffs
  • 6pcs 6mm standoffs
  • 12pcs M2x4mm screws
  • 12pcs M2x8mm screws
  • 6pcs rubber feet

Extras for the case kit:
  • a compatible PCB
  • plate foam

Changes for the GB production:
  • the feet will get two more standoff-screws combos in the middle to support the weight of the brass weights
  • will use an other lasercutting company for the acrylic sheets to get more refined edge cuts

Timeplan:
  • 05_02_2023: IC post and IC form published
  • 21_02_2023: typing video added to the post
  • 05_03_2023: price revealed

Discord server's link: Ealdin Keyboards
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 March 2023, 06:22:17 by Ealdin »

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
Re: [IC] eucrite65 keyboard case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 15:25:57 »
You should do that flex/bounce test with the board built, not just a few switches holding the pcb.

Overall very nice project, a lot of nice details, keep the price low (as an acrylic board should be) and you are good to go :thumb:

Offline JackPikatea

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 15:32:20 »
I like this a lot. Great work!

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 15:39:12 »
Update: I added the typing video to the orignal post!

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 March 2023, 06:18:54 »
Update: Price revealed: 109EUR for the kit without PCB. I'm planning to offer compatible PCB for the case kit as well, so you don't have to bother with it!

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 April 2023, 00:37:25 »
Update:
Hello there!
First of all, thank you all for the responses and the filled IC forms! I really appreciate it
Then the sad part of the update is that I have to put the progression of the project on hold as I have personal things to arrange and focus on  :( I'm sorry guys, I hope the we can continue this journey in summer!

Offline bloodparticle

• A through hole keyboard fan!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 April 2023, 08:37:56 »
Take your time!  :thumb:

Offline iwobobul

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 October 2023, 03:15:21 »
What dictated the choice not to make mounting points around spacebar symmetrical? I have a board liek that and it sounds different if I hit it left or right.

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 17:06:37 »
What dictated the choice not to make mounting points around spacebar symmetrical? I have a board liek that and it sounds different if I hit it left or right.

Hi, sorry for the late reply!
To answer your question, I wanted to maintain a balanced typing feel throughout the whole plate, therefore I located the mounting points symmetrical. As one of the key features of the board you are able to remove the two spring arms close to the spacebar, but honesty I didn't noticed any sound difference hitting the spacebar on different sides (in my setup I have the 3 spring arms in the middle removed). The spacebar's switch is located in an isolated place although I'm considering to add another flexcut to the North side of the cutout to increase the isolation even more.