Author Topic: help configure keyboard shortcuts in VIA  (Read 3696 times)

Offline xmobotx

help configure keyboard shortcuts in VIA
« on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 20:29:08 »
Well, I have something here to configure now & I've got VIA up & running. 

It's no problem assigning keys but,  can you do keyboard shortcuts?  I need a CTRL+S and a CTRL+R for instance?

Offline xmobotx

Re: help configure keyboard shortcuts in VIA
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 20:26:30 »
Yeah,  I've received these octopads from desk daily.  Have to say, they were a little spendy but, they are also really nice.  I soldered 'em up w/ glorious panda switches.  (these are really nice too)

Anyways,  I'm programming them to control my DAW (reaper BTW) & the only problem is programming the save key & the record key (CTRL+S & CTRL+R) ~I didn't expect that to be a problem but, I don't see how to make it happen in VIA

like thusly:
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2022, 20:44:33 by xmobotx »

Offline xmobotx

Re: help configure keyboard shortcuts in VIA
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 03:26:44 »
Maybe someone else is having this problem?

How to create a macro on VIA?
A macro is a series of keys pressed together to perform an action, now, you can program to just use one key to perform the same action, for example, holding Shift+Command+4 (screenshot on macOS) can be done with just one key. Here is how:

1. Go to MACROS on the top left corner of the Configure tab.

2. Search the keycodes that represent the key you want at https://docs.qmk.fm/#/keycodes_basic, then, copy and paste the Aliases on the page onto the VIA.

3. For example, enter {KC_LSFT,KC_LGUI,KC_4} in the Macro 0 box area, and press Save. The M0 key will become Shift+Command+4 (screenshot on macOS).

4. Select the KEYMAP section, click on the key that you want to replace, and the key will then flash slowly on VIA. Go to the MACRO section on the lower-left corner, click the M0 key, and it’s done.

This info courtesy of Keychron's site

ETA: On a side note, it still doesn't perform the desired functions in reaper.  The single key commands are fine but for some reason, the macros want to open a little data box for setting metronome tempo?
Maybe I can figure that out in the reaper discussion forum.

further ETA: Well, crap.  I see now that the braces are necessary. {random macro}
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2022, 03:40:46 by xmobotx »