geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

USB-C - the new EU standard ?

<< < (3/3)

SBJ:

--- Quote from: Darthbaggins on Wed, 12 October 2022, 11:21:39 ---
--- Quote from: Leslieann on Mon, 10 October 2022, 13:03:43 ---
--- Quote from: Darthbaggins on Mon, 10 October 2022, 09:47:34 ---Knowing Apple, their retort to this will be no charging port and wireless/MagSafe charging only so they don't have to give into the EU.

--- End quote ---
Exactly what I expect to happen.

--- End quote ---

We all know they have been teasing a port-less device, just never had said when they would launch it - I was expecting it to be the iPhone 14, but guessing just not yet and the EU's push will move this ahead faster now

--- End quote ---
Been wireless charing myself since december I think. It's okay, and I guess it is less wear and tear on the port.

Leslieann:
Yep, probably 3 years in my case (3 years home, 1 in my car).
Love it.

Get a dock, not just a pad/puck.

thocciness:
I wonder if this will allow new ports to develop in the future when something faster/more powerful comes in

TacticalCoder:
The big problem with USB-C is that it's not a standard but countless standards with the same form factor.  You can have different cables with different things supported and now even hubs with seemingly identical USB-C ports but which are different in functionality (for example the one for receiving the charger cable is different than the others).

So: physically the exact same cables *and* ports but all with different functionalities.  You now need to pay attention to which cable you plug where: it all fits but that's about it. That's not exactly great.

Then there are gotchas with the pass-trough too: say you hook two stuff with a USB-C cable and get very fast tx speed, that's great.  But then you plug the USB-C cable to your monitor's USB-C port and then an external SSD to your monitor's USB hub and, boom, performance degraded to 2.0 speed or something as if the 2000s called.

But I do like it's form-factor and you can plug it upside down so that's convenient.

And the coming specs are insanely fast: USB4 gen 3x2 does 40 Gbps and has a data transfer mode.

So mixed feelings: amazing form factor, potentially great speeds coming but soooo many gotchas with the cables / ports / version of the standard/protocol supported.

tp4tissue:
the great speed is only with an insanely thick cable + expensive, or a super short one, so yea it's cool, but still somewhat limited.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version