Author Topic: [IC] GH60 boards and titanium plates  (Read 22744 times)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
Re: [IC] GH60 boards and titanium plates
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 05:36:32 »

More
I've seen many listings on taobao for these GH60 PCBs.  I'm curious, wouldn't it be faster for the people interested only in the PCB to simply purchase one through taobao?

Those are Rev.B prototype PCBs that some Chinese sellers sent to production.

The final revision has not been released to the public yet.

Oh, so this GB is for the latest unreleased-to-public revision?

yes, the most current pcb revision is what we will be manufacturing.

What improvements does this updated version have?

There was a bug in the previous version, if you used backlighting, it shorted a trace from the last column of switches I believe.

Does this mean that the previous versions are functional but this backlighting issue?

What it means to me is:

Why would you ever willingly purchase a product with a known flaw? Especially if the revised version was, or was soon to be, available?
Good point if it has issues I would rather not get this and just wait for the final one to be released although I will still like to get a plate if it is possible.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 06:44:24 »
No, no, no. The version being sold here will be the final revision. mkawa is working with komar007 to get more of the production version PCBs made.

I was answering a question about "GH60s" being sold on taobao.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 06:56:54 »
No, no, no. The version being sold here will be the final revision. mkawa is working with komar007 to get more of the production version PCBs made.

I was answering a question about "GH60s" being sold on taobao.

Ahh right sorry friend I thought you were talking about these, misunderstanding then ohh well in that case ignore me statement then, I would love to have one of these :)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 08:55:59 »
Excuse my ignorance, because this question's answer should be pretty obvious for most of you, but does the GH60 PCB have slots for Cherry PCB mounted stabilizers?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 09:37:26 »
Excuse my ignorance, because this question's answer should be pretty obvious for most of you, but does the GH60 PCB have slots for Cherry PCB mounted stabilizers?

Yes, of course. It also had holes for PCB mount switches. So you can go without a switch plate if you prefer.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 09:44:17 »

I've seen many listings on taobao for these GH60 PCBs.  I'm curious, wouldn't it be faster for the people interested only in the PCB to simply purchase one through taobao?

There was a bug in the previous version, if you used backlighting, it shorted a trace from the last column of switches I believe.

Does this mean that the previous versions are functional but this backlighting issue?

What it means to me is:

Why would you ever willingly purchase a product with a known flaw? Especially if the revised version was, or was soon to be, available?

If the flaw didn't affect the intended use of said product (I wouldn't plan on backlighting) also timing with having to wait X amount of time for revised version or get now with "flawed" version.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 12:34:25 »

What it means to me is:

If the flaw didn't affect the intended use of said product (I wouldn't plan on backlighting) also timing with having to wait X amount of time for revised version or get now with "flawed" version.

Cost and availability. Unless what I found was a Face U, its price under 15 bucks is unbeatable. I do not really need back light, I always think it is very fancy and good for the eyes, but not needed for functionality.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 13:31:17 »

What it means to me is:

Cost and availability. Unless what I found was a Face U, its price under 15 bucks is unbeatable. I do not really need back light, I always think it is very fancy and good for the eyes, but not needed for functionality.

If it's that one you posted before, then yeah, that's a FaceU.

in memoriam

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 13:40:57 »
I really want an actual GH60, and if this one is priced well, I am certainly in for one PCB.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:20:00 »
Through my perusing the group buys, I see many seem to take quite some time to finish.  Any estimation on how long it would take once the group buy purchase period has concluded?

Offline eosph

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 16:04:34 »
Will the final revision PCB designs be publicly available?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 16:10:34 »
There was chatter of mechanicalkeyboards.com selling them at some point, so possibly yes.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline eosph

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 16:31:16 »
There was chatter of mechanicalkeyboards.com selling them at some point, so possibly yes.

I'm in the process of getting a quote for a small run (5-10) here in the UK so I'd like to use the latest revision rather than the older one.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 17:13:12 »

After the group buy orders (original year-long GB) ship, yes it will be released.

in memoriam

Offline Beelzebro

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 18:57:49 »
I'm definitely in for a PCB, and I don't mind at all what colour it is. I'll cover it with a plate and a case anyway :D

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 22:52:05 »

Let's hope it turns out to be more then just chatter.

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 14:31:25 »
Any idea how long before this becomes a GB?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 07:55:33 »
i've gone ahead and listed the titanium plates. PCB plans are still under wraps, and will not be revealed until after the current GH60 gb ships

plates: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59834.new#new

For the moment, I'm going to say that these are available anodized. Please specify your color from the standard colors in your order notes:

standard colors: 68774-0

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 08:29:35 »
i've gone ahead and listed the titanium plates. PCB plans are still under wraps, and will not be revealed until after the current GH60 gb ships

For the moment, I'm going to say that these are available anodized. Please specify your color from the standard colors in your order notes:

standard colors: (Attachment Link)

In that case, when do you think the PCBs may be offered in a GB?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 08:34:01 »
i don't want to say anything about that yet because 1) we're not organized enough to know and 2) not to pitchfork the GH60 gb people

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 10:43:36 »

standard colors: (Attachment Link)

Pretty, and a reminder that anodised Ti, or rather, oxidised Ti, is a very different way of creating colour, and rather than adding a colour, its changing the way light is reflected off the metal, and thus has a different look. Very classy, especially the deep colours!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:11:38 »
i don't want to say anything about that yet because 1) we're not organized enough to know and 2) not to pitchfork the GH60 gb people

Maybe the title of the thread should be changed to: [IC] GH60 Ti plates, otherwise it suggests PCBs can be offered, while it is clear they cannot be offered now.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:32:57 »
Will these plates be compatible with a typical 60% like a poker ii? If so, I am interested!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:35:22 »
Will these plates be compatible with a typical 60% like a poker ii? If so, I am interested!

They don't have the opening next to the Caps Lock switch hole for the LED, if that concerns you.

in memoriam

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:36:34 »

They don't have the opening next to the Caps Lock switch hole for the LED, if that concerns you.
I have a back-lit poker, so I guess it won't be compatible?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:38:10 »

It's compatible as long as you don't care to have an LED indicator that Caps Lock is on. Or if you want to drill a hole in the plate. ;)

in memoriam

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:40:01 »

It's compatible as long as you don't care to have an LED indicator that Caps Lock is on. Or if you want to drill a hole in the plate. ;)
Shouldn't be an issue, I guess. I wonder what it takes to drill through titanium...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:51:03 »
you can use HSS with TiN coating or bright HSS, but keep the feed rates low and use lots of cutting oil. cobalt/full carbide bits are definitely preferred

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:59:59 »
you can use HSS with TiN coating or bright HSS, but keep the feed rates low and use lots of cutting oil. cobalt/full carbide bits are definitely preferred

I would agree with this.  Low rpm, high pressure, good lube, and a drill press.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:27:44 »
Sounds like I'll have to wait for your norcal machine shop for this task, mkawa.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 02:01:07 »
yah, i wouldn't recommend attempting to do this with a hand drill or a rotary tool. the only person i'd trust with titanium and a rotary tool is hammer. that guy is a machining god. the rest of us mere mortals have to rely on squared up machines ;)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 02:02:32 »

Maybe the title of the thread should be changed to: [IC] GH60 Ti plates, otherwise it suggests PCBs can be offered, while it is clear they cannot be offered now.
it's still an IC for the pcbs. we are actually trying to get as accurate a feel for the remaining pcb demand as possible.

as for plates, i've opened up orders now that i have a pretty good idea of what the demand is.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 06:44:15 »
I'd be in for 2 PCB's in black or white. I've already got the Nostalgia keycap set waiting :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Chemisery

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 11:39:21 »
I am interested in getting 1-2 pcb depending on price..
Filco MJ2 Ninja Brown TK + Iron Mask II + GMK Dolch
WTB:
Riptide MX
Cosmic Dusk V2 MX
Nebulus V2 MX
Interstellar Blue V2 MX

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 11:52:52 »
I've already put in my order for a plate, but would like to register my interest in a PCB.

Offline umeboshi

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 00:51:18 »
Would be interested in 1-2 PCB's as well, no color preference.  Hopefully will be a good intro to putting a kb together...  :D

Offline malu1989

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 08:15:29 »
I'm interested in a PCB too since I missed the Groupbuy.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:53:55 »

it's still an IC for the pcbs. we are actually trying to get as accurate a feel for the remaining pcb demand as possible.

as for plates, i've opened up orders now that i have a pretty good idea of what the demand is.

I m hoping for the PCB as many here.

Offline macmakkara

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 12:05:20 »
Also interested here!

Offline MrLinuxFish

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 03:35:17 »
I would be interested in 1-2 PCBs as I too missed the group buy.

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:25:43 »
Interested on a plate, depending on price and compatibility (poker 2)
Poker II mx blues + Custom Poker X with mx clears, blues and old blacks

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 07:43:46 »
I would also be interested in a PCB, preferably poker II layout. I'm not really certain what the name of it is, but it's fairly standard compared to fullsize keyboards. I've been interested in these boards for a while, but I missed the original group buy :(

Do these PCBs fit in the tex 60% aluminum cases? Also how do the pink / purple titanium colored plates compare in color to the purple tex cases?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline shimmy1996

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 21:47:57 »
Would be interested in 1-2 pcbsXDD

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 23:18:48 »
I'd also be super interested in picking up a pair of GH60 PCBs + plates.

Offline sauerkrause

• lel
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:14:18 »
In for GH60 pcb and ANSI 125 plate, doesn't have to be titanium though. aluminum is just fine too.
Men are born. Heroes are made.

Offline seedvd

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 19:39:02 »
definitely am in for 1 to 2 pcbs and plates since pcb is an usbavr and open source HW.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:49:02 »
unfortunately i can't do anything about the PCBs. the plates are available on geekhackers.org

Offline cjhard

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 08:32:30 »
GON has a limited edition black NerD 60 GB going on right now that would look pretty fly beneath these plates until GH60 is shipped out to the folks still waiting, and we can justify starting up new PCB buys.

I'd love to see my titanium plate soon. Hint hint, buy more plates, hint hint :)

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 01:19:41 »
I'd be up for a 60% plate

Offline cjhard

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 19:30:23 »
I'd be up for a 60% plate

Get yourself one, the buy is still up on geekhackers.org, winkeyless and winkeyed. Last status we have says we still need to fill the sheet for it to get cut, and mkawa is sorting out some car and career stuff. One more order just means that much sooner we all get ours cut.

Go check out the thread for plates:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59834