Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1238310 times)

Offline Kurk

[Interest Check] Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 03:36:00 »
You can order sample ICs at a hidden corner of their web page:
http://www.sprintek.com/order/Orderics.aspx

Offline Parak

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 06:37:03 »
Hmm, the SK7190 integrates a pointing stick controller too.. The chips look fairly low BOM, though I see no mention of key rollover/diode support.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 08:05:51 »
I want to be on the list. 400 $ would be okay if that includes everything. (Except assembly.)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 08:56:07 »
That controller or something similar is what the Chameleon controller is... lemme search

Linky do

Also somewhere on Taobao....  couldn't find them.  Imsto is the source.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Kurk

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 08:57:15 »
Quote from: Parak;488544
Hmm, the SK7190 integrates a pointing stick controller too.. The chips look fairly low BOM, though I see no mention of key rollover/diode support.

The SK7190 is a pointing stick controller [del]only, no keyboard controller.[/del] ...brain fart... ok, it's also a keyboard controller.
BTW, N-key roll over support is explicitely mentioned with the SK5102 chip: http://www.sprintek.com/products/SK5102.aspx

Offline kps

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 09:02:49 »
Quote from: Parak;488544

The datasheet says it does ghost detection, which precludes n-key rollover. It may be that there are enough scan lines that this would not be a problem for a half-keyboard unit.

The nice thing about that chip from this project's point of view is that it can speak PS/2 and has a downstream PS/2 port, so it seems that the units could simply be daisy-chained.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 09:24:47 »
Quote from: Icarium;488566
I want to be on the list. 400 $ would be okay if that includes everything. (Except assembly.)

Are you interested in assembly, too? I'll add you after work.

Offline Parak

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 09:32:49 »
Quote from: Kurrk;488599
The SK7190 is a pointing stick controller only, no keyboard controller.
BTW, N-key roll over support is explicitely mentioned with the SK5102 chip: http://www.sprintek.com/products/SK5102.aspx

Ah, missed the NKRO somehow. The SK7190 does specifically state that it has a keyboard controller though, unless I'm missing something again.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 10:16:12 »
Quote from: dorkvader;488629
Are you interested in assembly, too? I'll add you after work.

Probably not, I think I have to screw it up at least once to know that I can't do it myself. :)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #309 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 20:21:24 »
Sorry, I'm confused about the thumb keys in the latest design, at the front page I see two ideas. Are there two thumbers or six? If two then I have to regretfully bow out. Thanks -

(and BTW, yes for sure no bluetooth! I've had too many problems with it, I want absolute connectivity in a keyboard)
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #310 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 21:39:19 »
I'm interested in this and would like to be added to the list. I've not assembled something like this before, but that part sounds almost as fun as having this design actualized! I suppose i'm conditional on the price being at or under 400. Time to start saving I guess! =)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #311 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 22:47:25 »
Quote from: Architect;490770
Sorry, I'm confused about the thumb keys in the latest design, at the front page I see two ideas. Are there two thumbers or six? If two then I have to regretfully bow out. Thanks -

(and BTW, yes for sure no bluetooth! I've had too many problems with it, I want absolute connectivity in a keyboard)
As far as I know, the latest design has more than two thumbswitches. I believe the two-switch one was proposed at the beginning, and reworked into the kinesis-like grouping.

Edit: page three
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22780-Interest-Check-Custom-split-ergo-keyboard&p=432084&viewfull=1#post432084

Quote from: moogatronic;490804
I'm interested in this and would like to be added to the list. I've not assembled something like this before, but that part sounds almost as fun as having this design actualized! I suppose i'm conditional on the price being at or under 400. Time to start saving I guess! =)
Haha! That's the spirit, I'll add you presently.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 04:14:17 »
Thanks dorkvader.

Related question, again sorry if it's buried in there somewhere but I didn't find it, what are the dimensions of the keyboard/each keypad? I'm concerned about the size, my Truly Ergonomic non split boards are really compact, and I've got a lot of controllers and such on my desk.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #313 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 13:15:21 »
Hmm, you'll have to ask Dox. Often you can have that as part of your cad software. I don't remember exact sizing, but it'd be pretty easy to estimate. Each "key" is 0.75 inches wide. by that estimate, I'm getting less than 7.2 inches/hand (at the maximum width). Ofcourse this will be less if you tent them. The bulk of the matrix (not counting the thumbs) is 7.5 keys wide, so it should be just over 5.6 inches wide. Since they are pretty positionable, I'm sure they won't take up that much space.

Offline Dox

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 13:55:08 »
Dimensions:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37586[/ATTACH]
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline sordna

« Reply #315 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 16:27:41 »
Hmm, as I look at it again, I think the "wave" is too much. Especially as you curve your fingers to type the lower row (ZXCVB) having to put the ring and middle finger more forward than the others feels unnatural.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 16:53:49 »
Quote from: sordna;491200
Hmm, as I look at it again, I think the "wave" is too much. Especially as you curve your fingers to type the lower row (ZXCVB) having to put the ring and middle finger more forward than the others feels unnatural.

Saw your post and answered it over there. The wave works for me, very natural, I'd vote to keep it. With split or curved designs like these the wave helps to auto-center the hands.

The thing I'm working on is size, assuming about an inch between the hands in the picture above that makes for a bigger keyboard than I'd like, and I'm not sure the advantage of the split, ergonomically speaking.

Offline sordna

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 16:57:20 »
The split is essential, since people come in different sizes! As for the wave, I'm not against it, but I think it should be more subtle.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dzd

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 17:02:53 »
I want one too!

This seems to be my "ideal" kb design. I was looking for a mix between Kinesis Advantage/Maltron 2D, and Kinesis Countoured - this looks like it!

I also think the Advantage/Maltron 2D designs should have symmetrical 3-modifier key layout and would be EXCELLENT with a well-placed touchpad!

I was going to put my next best hope in the Truly Ergonomic - but it's not even available!  Your DOX looks even better. Hope it's available soon.

One more thing - I thought it would be good to have an area below the keys to rest your palms. Don't know if that's been discussed here yet.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 20:12:34 »
I have a Kinesis and my biggest complaint is the moved += button.  I see you have moved it as well as other keys.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and create my own "ideal" keyboard.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 20:41:27 »
Quote from: sordna;491215
The split is essential, since people come in different sizes! As for the wave, I'm not against it, but I think it should be more subtle.

Maybe, OTOH everybody's hands meet in the middle too, as they do for all primates. I'm trying to understand if the split is a ergonomic feature, and why people think so. Not saying it isn't, just looking for the evidence.

Offline sordna

« Reply #321 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 20:47:42 »
Quote from: Architect;491331
Maybe, OTOH everybody's hands meet in the middle too, as they do for all primates. I'm trying to understand if the split is a ergonomic feature, and why people think so. Not saying it isn't, just looking for the evidence.

They meet, but depending on the width of the shoulders the angle changes, so at minimum the 2 halves should be able to be rotated. Not to mention people's positioning *preferences* can be freely accomodated. Also, some folks like to mount their keyboard halves on chair arms, etc. For example, I plan to tent this keyboard, build some angled cardboard props and make it semi-vertical. I wouldn't be able to do that if it weren't split.

The split is the most important feature in this keyboard, there are plenty non-split ergo keyboards in the market, Kinesis Advantage, Maltron, Truly Ergonomic, etc, it would be silly to create yet another.

This will be the first ergonomic, columnar layout, truly split (movable halves) keyboard, that's the whole point of this project.

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #322 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 20:51:51 »
I think one important aspect of the split is the inherent ability to then adjust the keyboard halves to varying degrees of tilt, as well as vary the distance between hands. I do not necessarily agree that the split is necessary if the keys are placed at angles that would not force your wrists to strain while flexing, as the standard keyboard layout would require. Halved keyboards however, allow you to dynamically alter your ergonomic situation on a whim. (This is at least the ergonomic theory behind the smartfish keyboard, though, on that board, they seem to have copied the terrible staggered key structure from 'standard' boards, which seem to assume humans have two right hands)

Quote from: Architect;491331

Offline sordna

« Reply #323 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 21:56:40 »
Here is what I mean "more subtle", look at the left half of the keyboard, I moved the 3 middle columns down a little. Sorry for the sloppy copy/pasting but you get the point.

EDIT: I just realized the innermost column was at same level as the one next to it. I think the innermost column should be a bit lower so that the index finger doesn't have to overstretch. So apart from lowering the 3 middle columns, I also lowered the innermost column too:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37629[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2012, 01:51:12 by sordna »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 01:23:39 »
Quote from: dzd;491218
I want one too!

This seems to be my "ideal" kb design. I was looking for a mix between Kinesis Advantage/Maltron 2D, and Kinesis Countoured - this looks like it!

I also think the Advantage/Maltron 2D designs should have symmetrical 3-modifier key layout and would be EXCELLENT with a well-placed touchpad!

I was going to put my next best hope in the Truly Ergonomic - but it's not even available!  Your DOX looks even better. Hope it's available soon.

One more thing - I thought it would be good to have an area below the keys to rest your palms. Don't know if that's been discussed here yet.

Added :)

That's a good point: like the kinesis has the palmrests, etc. I still feel that the design should account for that ,but not have them inherent, that way one can make or add one's own to suit one's tastes.
Quote from: Pyrolistical;491313
I have a Kinesis and my biggest complaint is the moved += button.  I see you have moved it as well as other keys.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and create my own "ideal" keyboard.

So you are interested too? I'll add you anyway.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 05:50:06 »
Quote from: dorkvader;491456

That's a good point: like the kinesis has the palmrests, etc. I still feel that the design should account for that ,but not have them inherent, that way one can make or add one's own to suit one's tastes.

I think the present design is good. . If rests are desired then these should work fine, one on each hand tucked in right in front of the keyboard.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 10:56:05 »
Quote from: dorkvader;491456
So you are interested too? I'll add you anyway.

No. What I meant was I'll create my own kb

Offline dzd

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 11:06:38 »
Quote from: Architect;491559
If rests are desired then these should work fine, one on each hand tucked in right in front of the keyboard.

Yes - you can add your own off-the-shelf wrist rests. The cons are that you have too many individual parts on your desk (especially if you have several other input devices/gadgets/whatever on your desk, like you had mentioned you do - I do too).

It'd be great if the DOX came with optional/removable palm rests - like the Truly Ergonomic, for example (looks like they did a good job with that - but I've only seen pictures). But I know this might be asking too much from Dox.

Quote from: moogatronic;491341
Halved keyboards however, allow you to dynamically alter your ergonomic situation on a whim.

Exactly. I like split because I can change my position at my desk throughout the day. I'm often at my computer all through the day, with a sit/stand desk. It's great getting to move the keyboard halves around on a "whim" to accommodate different positions. This really makes it feasible to be at your desk all day with a middle age body (heh) and not suffer (and in fact, enjoy it!).

I tried a split keyboard that was good for changing positions through the day - that was great. But it was still missing other features I wanted (mechanical, and matrix layout).

Another thing I like about the Dox is it looks like it doesn't have dedicated Function keys. I'd prefer Function keys on a separate, flat keypad/keyboard. (But the drawback is one more separate, corded device on your desk).

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 20:32:15 »
Quote from: dzd;491720
Truly Ergonomic, for example (looks like they did a good job with that - but I've only seen pictures). But I know this might be asking too much from Dox.

The TE wrist rest is fairly impressive. It has plastic smooth nubs or 'bolts that fit into corresponding sockets, plus the screws and form fitting shape. Acts like a part of the keyboard, it adds some size to the board and I'm surprised to find that I like it a lot. But I wouldn't recommend the EDox try to do this, too much risk/work for little reward.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #329 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 22:08:04 »
I'm sort-of a fan of those wall-mount holes on routers and suchlike. Do you think they should be added to the bottom of the casing to ease in creating or adapting a tent or chair-mount setup? I sort-of feel that these things would be easier if there were something to grab onto.

Thanks to cisco
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/hardware/installation/guide/18inst.html#wp1053401
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2012, 22:08:26 by dorkvader »

Offline kps

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 09:08:11 »
Quote from: dorkvader;492148
Do you think they should be added to the bottom of the casing to ease in creating or adapting a tent or chair-mount setup?

For my own long-slow split project, I'm planning on using ball joints — specifically repurposed camera flash mounts, which are cheap and easy to get — at the back edge of the units. This wouldn't work as-is on the ErgoDox case (can't tap a hole in the layered edge) but something similar might.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37764[/ATTACH]

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:24:21 »
Quote from: kps;492406
For my own long-slow split project, I'm planning on using ball joints — specifically repurposed camera flash mounts, which are cheap and easy to get — at the back edge of the units. This wouldn't work as-is on the ErgoDox case (can't tap a hole in the layered edge) but something similar might.

(Attachment Link) 37764[/ATTACH]

hm...shouldn't there be enough space to make a hole for screws somewhere?

this is hard to discuss without sketches...
I need a drawing board :p

Offline Parak

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:44:44 »
Assuming the case is made out of something ferrous, one could build a ram mount using these as the attachment point to the keyboard half. Expensive, but looks to be quite reliable, and there's no need to make modifications to the case.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 20:40:28 »
Assuming the case is something ferrous, I have about 12 HD magnets that suddenly have a purpose.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 20:42:51 »
No it's machined aluminum, as it should be. If you want to use magnets you can epoxy or glue a thin sheet of steel to the bottom. If you want a tripod mount it's easy enough to tap and thread just the way you want.

I'm warming up to this, thinking of three again, update on the cabling?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 12:08:54 »
I would be in for one with Cherry browns if it's completely assembled at least up to the caps.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #336 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 12:15:42 »
Me too !
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 20:18:18 »
Quote from: itlnstln;494135
I would be in for one with Cherry browns if it's completely assembled at least up to the caps.
Added
Quote from: Mazora;494145
Me too !
I already have you (as #08), but were you also wanting the building service?

I also found out that there's a topic on Deskthourity now, so I'm importing the interest from there. I've got all the post's up to Jan 04.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2012, 20:23:23 by dorkvader »

Offline sordna

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 20:30:19 »
You mean this thread?
Hmm, you made a typo copying my comment ...

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #339 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 23:31:03 »
I'm new here but would be willing to buy this if I could get it for $300 or less (preferably CAD, but I guess USD is close enough) including tax and shipping. I can probably assemble it myself but I wouldn't want to buy anything else, so I would expect the $300 to include switches, caps, etc.

As for soldering, I don't have an iron myself right now, but will probably want to buy one eventually... depending on when this keyboard is ready I might be able to help with that.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 12:56:26 »
Definitely interested in one now, maybe more. I just need to learn how to solder surface mount stuff properly, that stuff always gets me.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Zanth

« Reply #341 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 19:14:34 »
Quote from: itlnstln;494135

I would be in for one, Reds or Browns, but I too would want it completely assembled at least up to the caps.

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #342 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 19:51:53 »
I'd definitely be in for 2 of these, but after reviewing my list of wants, it almost sounds *****y:

- Assembled
- Natural machined aluminum color with white keys
- Otaku
- Reds

If I could get that (or at least a fully assembled base to which I could add appropriate keys), I'd take 2, definitely. I love my Filco Limited R, but a split keyboard with aligned keys is my dream.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #343 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 02:12:59 »
BTW, now that I think of this, it would be nice if the bottom could have some notches (or something) to allow the keyboard to be tented/angled, like the Freestyle Ascent. Obviously the design is up to you but just my $0.02 on what would add flexibility :)

Offline Tafryn

« Reply #344 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 12:26:08 »
This design is as close to my perfect keyboard as I'm ever likely to find. Count me in for one as long as it's around $300.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #345 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 12:50:22 »
I wonder if the case could have a palm rest...  Or maybe I will just attach one to it.  I do like the palm rest area on my Kinesis.

Offline sicyo

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:56:40 »
I would certainly be interested but am with Thirdkind in that I would prefer natural aluminum and assembled as well.

Subscribed!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #347 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 02:24:41 »
You know, I have 50 people in the interest list, with 55 or so keyboards. I think we may be able to start getting into some real volume discounts here if we find the right place.

Offline KylJoy

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 00:12:38 »
I'm on the verge...  This thing looks awesome.  With volume discount I'm about 95% in for one.

Offline bbbbqq

« Reply #349 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 00:46:14 »
Hey dox, can you tell me the measurement of the staggering ? ie: how much farther "north" is the W row is than the Q row, E row, etc