Author Topic: RSI and switching to hunt and pecking  (Read 2646 times)

Offline glitchathon

RSI and switching to hunt and pecking
« on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 01:34:57 »
Hi, I have been battling RSI for a few years now. What started as signs of cubital tunnel has become so complex that several occupational therapists, orthopedists, and neurologists are still puzzled. Basically my right hand ring and pinky is very hard to use.

I am currently using the Kinesis Advantage and whereas it is the best keyboard I have used, I realized that I have one major problem with it. I am an avid touchtyper and typed over 100wpm since I was 12 and for that, the Kinesis is excellent. But with my RSI, I find a lot of relief by switching to hunt and pecking for a portion of the day. The Kinesis is obvious unsuitable for that.

So as I am ready to bring my old keyboard (crappy rubber dome) back out for occasional hunt and peck use, I am wondering if there is an even better keyboard for this purpose. Perhaps this BigKeys one?
http://www.fentek-ind.com/bigkey.htm

Has anyone tried anything like that? Any other advice from those that choose to hunt-and-peck to ease their RSI?
Thanks!

Offline elef

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 05:56:23 »
As a touch typer (typist?), relapsing into hunt&peck, you won't need giant legends. That's how I used to type for years before I learned to touch type and I hardly used the legends. If you don't mind the price, get a mechanical keyboard for this purpose.

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 10:38:30 »
Hi elef,
thanks for the response. I should clarify... I definitely do not need large legends. But my thought was that large keys can help me relax my hand. Even when I am two-finger typing, I tend to tighten when I stick my fingers out to poke the keys. I am thinking the BigKeys will let me pat the keys with more than one finger, almost like I am playing the bongos. I have never heard of anyone using these strictly for RSI but I am thinking it may be worth the experiment.

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 11:00:06 »
Something that might bring you more relief is to use 2 pencils with eraser ends that you hold in your hands to hit the keys. It's a totally different motion, and also your hands will be rotated to a more natural position (palms facing each other).
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Tony

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:53:26 »
You can use Virtual keyboard which will eliminate RSI completely. Poor typing speed though.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:38:11 »
The Big Keys keyboard reminded me of the EZ Eyes one.

I'm going to suggest the Maltron site and search for something that suits your needs from there. They have this guide for finding the right keyboard based on your condition, but since the doctors couldn't tell you what the issue was, I'm not sure of how much use it will be to you. Best of luck though, I dream of the day I can finally type over 100 wpm so it must really suck to have to give up that ability.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 11:01:13 »
Thanks guys, gonna try the pencil and eraser thing this week. I did order a BigEyes to see how it goes.

I have spent a lot of time on the Maltron site. The products for poking are very expensive and not sure what benefit they would have for me over a BigKeys as they seem to be either for those who can't use their hands or have cerebral palsy. However, the 3D ergo looks incredible and I would love to try one someday.

As for Virtual keyboard, I assume that is one where I click characters with a mouse? That would probably cause more RSI mouse related issues unfortunately.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: RSI and switching to hunt and pecking
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 14:17:26 »
I know this is a super-old thread, but to add for someone else or the OP to benefit.

I acquired a Bigkeys for cheap at Goodwill and I think your two-fingered 'bongos' method would work.  Even if you try to touch type on this board, you really can't.  I got only 25wpm when I normally am at 60+ when I tried.  It is absolutely perfect for hunting and pecking.