Author Topic: [IC] DCS Delftware - GB 1-30 April 2021 - 29/03 update: Pricing + RAMA  (Read 53468 times)

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
Re: [IC] DCS Delftware - 30/12 update: samples, proxies, manu and discord
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 22:44:23 »
Very interesting, dyesub + abs. DCS none the less. Looking forward to seeing any updates!

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 22:49:05 »
Where's the new IC form? Can't seem to find it. Also can you consider adding zfrontier?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 22:54:26 »
Where's the new IC form? Can't seem to find it. Also can you consider adding zfrontier?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

IC form is linked at the top and bottom of the main post but you can also click here.

Is there a reason you want zFrontier when ILUMKB will already be proxying for the region?

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 23:46:55 »
Really looking forward to this one!
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline L-Ron

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 02:21:06 »
Those samples look incredible, definitely onboard for this one.

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 02:22:56 »
The samples look amazing, the colour is super pretty. I like the contrast of the thinner DCS legends against the subs very much

Offline goddream

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 02:23:35 »
this keeps on getting better and better, super keen for this zeph
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline amptoc

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 12:05:37 »
unique sublegends is such a fresh idea and progress looks super promising, in 100%

Offline kidpid

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 12:21:39 »
To me the legends themselves look too thin, and make the set look a little cheap, especially when juxtaposed with the thick sublegends. Besides that, though, the samples look solid!

Offline catamscott

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 15:28:03 »
this going to dcs made this an insta buy for me. samples look really good, too!

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 17:14:53 »
To me the legends themselves look too thin, and make the set look a little cheap, especially when juxtaposed with the thick sublegends. Besides that, though, the samples look solid!

The differing thickness of the legends and sublegends also bothers me a little, I'm going to mock up some thinner lines for the sublegends on a few of the caps (e.g. V, 5) so that the line thickness is more consistent, and see whether that looks better than how it currently is.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 17:56:17 »
Treeleaf is interested in DCS
He likes blue
and he also likes the sublegends

they are a novelty
As if the sky and ocean combined to make a keycap set
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 17:56:48 »
I think I need some counseling to break this bad habit of talking in third person

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 19:14:40 »
updates look great, super excited for this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 19:14:58 »
I think I need some counseling to break this bad habit of talking in third person

i was gonna say
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline scrubbiecris

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 19:30:02 »
this is looking really good! excited to see how the project progresses!

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 00:18:03 »
Really excited for this one, it looks great. Hope to see minivan support added :)

Offline hallowqueen

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 22:43:06 »
This set is so incredibly beautiful!

Offline Zephyraeon

Re: [IC] DCS Delftware - 19/02 update: April 1st GB!
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 14:34:07 »
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all as excited as I am by the most recent update. I've been so grateful for all the amazing feedback and suggestions that I've got in the IC forms. There were a few good suggestions I wanted to mention as to why they weren't included so that you guys know that they have been heard.
Compatibility:
I had a few requests for each of the following:
- F13 keys (not added to keep prices down + that's what the novelties/artisans are for!)
- R2 1u tab and R3 1u esc for planck, r2 1.75u backspace, r3 1.5u enter (not enough interest in 40s to add more than the bare minimum compatibility already in base kit)
- 3u spacebars (I wanted these but not enough support - should be easy enough to buy blank keys from SP through pimpmykeyboard)
- 6u spacebar (there's a centred 6u spacebar included in basekit)
- 2u shift (sorry but no)
- stepped control (as above)
- Dutch mods/ISO/etc. (I tried to research into this but it looked like the mods were mostly still in English ANSI in the Netherlands so I've kept it all boring)

Collabs:
- Latrialum (love her work, but she mainly does cherry profile blanks, the slight difference between cherry and DCS profiles would annoy me)
- Ceramic keycaps (pretty sure this just isn't feasible - too much margin for error)

If there's still something you don't quite like about the set as it stands now, please let me know either through the IC form, on this IC thread, or on Discord. The kits and stuff are mostly finalised but there may be the chance to make a couple last minute tweaks.

Thanks all,
Zeph

EDIT: fixing Danish -> Dutch (sorry about that)
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2021, 15:46:51 by Zephyraeon »

Offline Michabc

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 15:40:09 »
Cool set - really looking forward to it - just take care though while doing a Delftware inspired set it’s Dutch not Danish (it’s like calling Aussies Austrians) we use a EN international layout - mostly with ISO - GLWGB!
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2021, 15:54:53 by Michabc »

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 15:51:29 »
Cool set - really looking forward to it - just take care though while doing a Delftware inspired set it’s Dutch not Danish (it’s like calling Aussies Austrians) we use a international US layout - mostly with ISO - GLWGB!

My bad on that mistake - if you have any suggestions on modifying the legends to make it more authentic I would love to hear them, not sure if the current design is similar to what you would use and I'd really love to try and make the set as Dutch as possible given the theme.

Offline vanyll

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 04:08:05 »
I always wondered how people can buy several base kits of a set that is not BoW / WoB or any other basic colour. Well, here we go... I love everything about it! Well done.

Offline Ciantha

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 16:42:36 »
- R2 1u tab and R3 1u esc for planck, r2 1.75u backspace, r3 1.5u enter (not enough interest in 40s to add more than the bare minimum compatibility already in base kit)

I just wanted to mention that the 40s layout requiring  r2 1.75u backspace, r3 1.5u enter and r3 1.25 tab (based on the minivan layout) is one of the most popular, probably even the single most popular, layouts for staggered 40s with many existing keyboards and new projects in the works.

When the 40s discords gives recommendations for minimum 40s support these are the three keys that are recommended.

I would want to suggest replacing the 1.75 enter (there's both capslock and control for the right size and profile already) with a 1.5 enter. At that point you'd only need to add one key (1.75 bs) to support a big portion of 40s.

You of course have the right to kit things as you see fit but I wanted to add this in case the reasoning behind asking for these specific keys hadn't been expressed in the IC.

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 04:03:25 »

I just wanted to mention that the 40s layout requiring  r2 1.75u backspace, r3 1.5u enter and r3 1.25 tab (based on the minivan layout) is one of the most popular, probably even the single most popular, layouts for staggered 40s with many existing keyboards and new projects in the works.

When the 40s discords gives recommendations for minimum 40s support these are the three keys that are recommended.

I would want to suggest replacing the 1.75 enter (there's both capslock and control for the right size and profile already) with a 1.5 enter. At that point you'd only need to add one key (1.75 bs) to support a big portion of 40s.

You of course have the right to kit things as you see fit but I wanted to add this in case the reasoning behind asking for these specific keys hadn't been expressed in the IC.

I understand your points around adding a couple more keys for better 40s compatibility but I just haven't seen the interest from the 40s crowd to justify adding more than I have here (there were 3 people max asking for 1.75u backspace/1.5u enter). I wanted Delftware to have some 40s support so tried to include the keys that were necessary for the 40s keyboards I've been most invested in, without trying to bloat the base kit too much (probably failed here). I did look at splitting 40s from base and adding more keys for greater 40s compatibility and it didn't really look like a viable decision from a pricing standpoint. 

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 03:15:27 »
Lets goooo!  So hyped this is finally getting rolling, and in DCS too where maybe the queue isn't so crazy? 
@Zeph, I think you added the wrong image on the first post though--you've got some random-ass green caps on there now!    :p

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 04:26:54 »
Lets goooo!  So hyped this is finally getting rolling, and in DCS too where maybe the queue isn't so crazy? 
Since it's Signature Plastics, it will go into their queue, FWIW it's been consistent during the last years but it's not really short ;)

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 01:11:07 »
I love that this project is still underway. Finally a PBT DCS keyset for MX switches! Great design, too.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 14:39:47 »
I will buy it when I get money

Offline kure_

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 15:42:54 »
Cool idea. Nice and fresh.

Offline SleepyJacky

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 22:16:06 »
Really cool look with these. Interested!  :D

Offline Zephyraeon

@Zeph, I think you added the wrong image on the first post though--you've got some random-ass green caps on there now!    :p

The green and grey caps previously there were to show the DCS icon mods as I didn't have the assets required to get accurate renders done. Based on feedback I've decided to redo the icon mods myself (again), new renders reflect the actual icon mods that will be on the final product.

Since it's Signature Plastics, it will go into their queue, FWIW it's been consistent during the last years but it's not really short ;)

I've actually talked with SP about this and they have communicated to me that the DCS production time is fairly short. I know SP SA can take a long time, but based on recent communications I'm fully expecting Delftware to be fulfilled in 2021.

Offline Zephyraeon

2-March update:
  • ProtoTypist added as UK vendor
  • Third deskmat design added
  • Small kitting changes in base kit - added Minivan support at the expense of some ortho keys
  • New icon mods
  • Second round of samples ordered to test line thickness of current typeface - probably moving away from Gorton/standard DCS typeface

Offline Mikhail

Looks supa good, but on "Keycap samples and colours" real photos latin letters are too low!

Offline redlion145

I'm going to be honest. I love the colors. I don't love that the "unique" sublegends repeat across multiple keys, and some that aren't meant to be repeats look very similar to other legends. The E, F, G, tilde, I, quotation mark, and equals sign all have essentially the same sublegend. I'd rather have less keys filled with a second legend rather than six or seven repeated legends. Just an opinion. Otherwise, I love the idea, and the majority of the execution.

Don't let me stop you, it looks like it'll be a great set. Just probably not for me.

Offline Surefoot

Usually Signature Plastics use ABS for their DCS sets.
Since this is going to be a PBT set:
- are they using new molds ? ABS molds cannot be use for PBT due to different shrinkage rates
- what is the wall thickness ? Their ABS sets were really thin (1mm) and didnt feel good at all.

Offline catamscott

Usually Signature Plastics use ABS for their DCS sets.
Since this is going to be a PBT set:
- are they using new molds ? ABS molds cannot be use for PBT due to different shrinkage rates
- what is the wall thickness ? Their ABS sets were really thin (1mm) and didnt feel good at all.

afaik sp has always been able to do pbt dcs, or at least this hasn't been a recent development. i know dcs alps throwback was done in pbt and that was over a year ago at least, and i can't imagine they'd have capability to do alps caps in pbt but not mx caps. should be same wall thickness though

Offline Zephyraeon

Re: [IC] DCS Delftware - GB 1-30 April 2021 - 29/03 update: Pricing + RAMA
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 16:52:14 »
Hi everyone!

This should be the final update pre-GB (only a couple more days left to go!)

In this update:
  • Gorton decided on as final font (same as DCS Red Alert and DCS Yuri) - round 2 samples didn't work out but Gorton still looked great in round 1 samples
  • All renders updated to be as Gorton-like as possible
  • USD pricing added for all kits + deskmats
  • RAMA cap renders!
  • And a couple more board renders added

Thanks everyone for your support :)

Offline mayorpeepo

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 17:06:47 »
wow, this set is so gorgeous! those sublegends are to die for. instacop for sure!

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 20:56:23 »
Hi everyone!

This should be the final update pre-GB (only a couple more days left to go!)

In this update:
  • Gorton decided on as final font (same as DCS Red Alert and DCS Yuri) - round 2 samples didn't work out but Gorton still looked great in round 1 samples
  • All renders updated to be as Gorton-like as possible
  • USD pricing added for all kits + deskmats
  • RAMA cap renders!
  • And a couple more board renders added

Thanks everyone for your support :)

So that wasn't the final update...

RAMA cap pricing has been added to the main post - $56USD per cap.

Also want to point out that the production time for DCS keycaps is much shorter than most recent keycap GBs (about 2-3 months manufacturing time), so Delftware should easily be fulfilled in 2021.

Offline katasup

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 14:55:36 »
Is SP really so expensive?
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 March 2021, 15:21:48 by katasup »

Offline acitrin

• https://acitrin.design/
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 16:44:30 »
Is SP really so expensive?

SP’s dyesub lines are surprisingly expensive... they quote that their dyesub process is more manual than their doubleshot process.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 17:34:49 »
Yeah, this looks pretty manual:

I'm OK with $140 for the base kit. It reminds me of what GMK used to cost back when keysets had a serious risk of not making 150 MOQ with stock colors. If this one set comes out well and the community is happy with it, hopefully future sets will be able to run at higher MOQs and therefore have lower prices.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline katasup

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 02:31:00 »
More
Yeah, this looks pretty manual:

I'm OK with $140 for the base kit. It reminds me of what GMK used to cost back when keysets had a serious risk of not making 150 MOQ with stock colors. If this one set comes out well and the community is happy with it, hopefully future sets will be able to run at higher MOQs and therefore have lower prices.

Thankfully this video I now understand how does sp straighten their caps  :D

Offline Zephyraeon

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 April 2021, 15:17:43 by Zephyraeon »