geekhack Community > Reviews

RealForce 104UB Topre - First Impressions

(1/2) > >>

SonicRevolution:

I'm sure many more experienced and knowledgable folks have posted their thoughts on Topre switches.  Here is my take on it. :D

The RealForce 104UB.  First impressions are

1) Really nice construction.  It's solid without being bulky.  For a $250+ keyboard, it definitely feels like an expensive mech.  I wish the finish was slightly better. I can slightly see some super slight dimples? I don't know anything about how these are made but I feel like the finish should be better?

2) So my first impression with Topre is that it's unlike anything I've typed on.  I think the PBT caps makes a huge difference and I think it's the combination of the two.  I know Topre Heaven has ABS with Topre switches.  Curious what that feels like but I know I prefer pbt's

3) I've experienced an unusual sensation as I type that the keys almost fly back into your fingers? Not sure how to describe it but it feels like it resets in to position in a really intuitive way.  This was really cool to discover!

4) when I first got it, my heart sank a bit because it almost felt like a old school rubber dome or almost like a Cherry Brown.  I personally don't like Cherry Browns.  i know that many love that switch.  I personally don't.  But after awhile, Topre's felt pretty fun and I could tell these were remarkable switches.  They are NOT rubber domey at all.  It's just at first it kinda feels that way.

5) I actually am glad I added Topre to my collection later in my mech owning experience.  I think I would not been able to appreciate it.  This is not to say I'm some kind of mech elitist.  I think my first mech being Cherry Blue's were super positive.  It was clicky and clacky!  Kind of what I "thought" a mech keyboard should sound and feel like.

terran5992:
Post in Reviews Section XD

PointyFox:
Can you go into more detail about how they feel?  "Fun" doesn't say a whole lot :P

Elrick:

--- Quote from: PointyFox on Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:06:14 ---Can you go into more detail about how they feel?  "Fun" doesn't say a whole lot :p

--- End quote ---

It's a REALFORCE Thorpie, hence why would you want another review of it, did they suddenly change switches, manufacturing procedures or style of these keyboards now?

If you like traditional membranes than these will suit you..... if not, you've got to look elsewhere.

SonicRevolution, congrats on your purchase buddy  :thumb: .

PointyFox:

--- Quote from: Elrick on Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:16:05 ---
--- Quote from: PointyFox on Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:06:14 ---Can you go into more detail about how they feel?  "Fun" doesn't say a whole lot :p

--- End quote ---

It's a REALFORCE Thorpie, hence why would you want another review of it, did they suddenly change switches, manufacturing procedures or style of these keyboards now?

If you like traditional membranes than these will suit you..... if not, you've got to look elsewhere.

SonicRevolution, congrats on your purchase buddy  :thumb: .

--- End quote ---

I have yet to find a review of Topre that isn't just mysticism. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version