Author Topic: Roll heavy custom layout  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Sciurid89

Roll heavy custom layout
« on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 03:26:08 »
I have not yet taken the plunge to learn it, but now that I have adjusted my kinesis in a way that I'm happy with it, I think I'd like to attempt a new layout...

The driving idea behind this layout is to roll as much as possible. This can result in very long one hand runs occasionally, but I think there is high potential for speed. I have disfavored the pinkies more than Colemak or ARENSITO, and also disfavored reaching inward with the index fingers somewhat. I left , and . in place for familiarity's sake, but would likely change their shifted functions.

JG"LZ  YFOUQ
STERM  PNAID
XC?HV  BW,.K

However, I haven't decided whether I might be able to get along with a maltron-style left thumb E, and that could offer an even more roll-insane layout...

Has anyone tried anything similar to this? It seems extremely logical to me to place OU above AI in any layout, as it takes only a small motion to move rows, there is almost no increased same-finger issue, and then you can get two more common consonants on to the homerow.

Offline hoggy

Re: Roll heavy custom layout
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 03:41:55 »
If you went with the Maltron E, you'll probably have to redo your layout...

Could you change the mapping so you have q AND u (a 'qu' key) on one key in the top right, and another U somewhere else?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0