Author Topic: Model M Badge Replacement  (Read 18441 times)

Offline wcass

Model M Badge Replacement
« on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 20:55:27 »
The IBM Model M is a classic. And like any classic, it may need some cosmetic maintenance every twenty years or so. You will find several articles on this site on how best to clean and “pimp your board” – but the current options for what to do with the keyboard badges are to paint over the olive-drab IBM badge and LED legend or leave these clashing against your color scheme. Another option seemed obvious to me, but I couldn’t find any record of anyone else doing it. This article will walk you through my experience updating this forgotten embellishment and will give you the tools I used so that you might do it also. This will be my first keyboard mod and I am doing “Black and Red with Gold Accents”.

The first thing I did was to do a Google search for “case badge”. One of the first results to pop up was Techiant LLC at www.case-badges.com. They have “Metallic Custom Labels” at a reasonable price and a low minimum order of 10. They also can work in metric units, which is a rarity in the US but a necessity for this job. Most people don't have 10 Model Ms, so check "Group Buys" to see if someone is planning something.

Brand Badge
Next, I set about measuring the existing badges. I have three Model M – all 1391401 with the pill-shaped IBM “brand badge” on the top left. Believe it or not, this is a 25mm wide, 18mm tall rectangle (with 9mm radius rounded corners).  For the graphic image, I must admit that I pillage the web. The base image is everywhere, but not in the right resolution nor rotated to the correct angle. I grabbed one in a high resolution, scaled it to the correct resolution, rotated, cropped, reset DPI, and set the background to transparent. This image is optimized for 1200dpi print centered on a 25mm by 18mm “gloss chrome gold” badge.

The last thing I did was to peal off the original badge. I did this last in case removing the badge destroyed it in the process. It turns out that the badge came off curly, but whole. It is printed with the image sandwiched between a clear plastic top and an adhesive bottom. Most of the adhesive was left on the case. Alcohol had no effect and Goo-Gone was only slightly better at removing the residue. I was not that concerned though as it would be covered by the new label.

This was a mistake. The label style I chose is very reflective, but thin and picks up most of the surface irregularities. I have extra labels, so I pealed off the new label and removed every trace of adhesive with methyl ethyl ketone (aka MEK). This also removed some of the black Duplicolor fabric/vinyl paint. I strongly encourage you to (1) remove all trace of the adhesive before coloring your case and replacing the badges and (2) go with the “domed” style badge. That said, this is a very attractive label - you can see your reflection!

LED Cluster
I decided to remove this badge before measuring it. I tried to pry the label loose from around the edges, but that was not working as easy as it did for the brand badge. I was concerned that I would damage the keyboard case, so I turned the disassembled keyboard over and pushed from the bottom of the Num Lock cut-out. The left side of the label just popped loose and the rest was easy to remove after that.

This label measures 78mm wide by 23mm tall (with 2mm radius rounded corners). Like the brand badge, the image is printed between a clear plastic top layer and adhesive bottom. The three 2mm by 5mm LED “windows” have no pigment or adhesive.

I sent an email to Techiant customer service and asked if they could do “cut-outs” and was happy to hear that they can, but will need the data in vector format. I’m ordering “domed” badges which have a clear plastic dome over the printed image.

There was no stock logo for me to copy, so I had to build this from scratch. I used my favorite CAD application for this; DeltaCad. The original font is very close to Arial. If you would like a different font, you can use my template and download a free trial of DeltaCad from www.deltacad.com. The data file is at the bottom. Or I might change the text completely. What do you think about this?

Birth Certificate
This was a tough decision for me; to preserve the (rather ugly) original, or replace it. I will still have two others that are as IBM intended them to be, so let’s replace it as an example.

Before I did anything, I placed the disassembled bottom half on my flatbed scanner and took an image at full color 2400dpi. This label is 114mm wide by 53mm tall with 2mm radius corners. On my label, it looks like the IBM, UL, and CSA logos were pre-printed. The remaining text was printed by a dot matrix printer using internal mono-space fonts (except for the “Made in the USA” which used a double-space font. I could not find a TrueType font that could accurately duplicate these characters, so I came to the conclusion, “why bother”. I chose to use the logos in there original positions, but took some liberties with the text. The font I used in the first draft is called Magneto; the second draft uses Arial. The field titles are right justified. I added a field “Restored” for a date and/or signature.

As each Birth Certificate is unique, I thought i would try to print these myself. I ordered "8.5 x 11 Rectangular Foil Label Sheet" from www.labelsbythesheet.com - I added my values and inserted a scan of my signature. I cut the label with an office paper cutter - this will not be accurate enough for me, but good enough for a test. Next time i will use a metal strait edge and a razor. The label is not as reflective as the labels on the front but still very shiny. Here is what no-flash looks like.

You can see that I am already testing out the durability (no significant loss of quality in first month); if the text starts wearing off, I will cover with a protective clear label (just like the original label) to "fix" the text. If you don’t like my design or your board was made outside of the US, you will want to open the DeltaCad file and make some modifications.

Update:
I have been looking for a source for premium badges - metal like the older square badge. I just got a shipment today from Craig at Benton Trophy. I still don't have an IBM keyboard with the square badge to measure, so Craig sent samples in two thicknesses - .02" and .03" - and two sizes - 1" and 15/16ths.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23604[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23605[/ATTACH]

My photography skills are not the best, so if you are interested in ordering some of these, I will send you the samples that Craig sent me - with one condition. At the end of a week you must mail all of them back to me, or to the next person in the queue.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 00:37:20 »
I like what you did here! The "birth certificate" looks good overall but I'd go for a more serious font.

Cheers
SainT
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline wcass

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 13:06:00 »
Yeah, perhaps you are right. i should go with something more authentic. please submit font suggestions.

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 02:38:19 »
Why so serious?

Nice job on these, it's something that's been missing around here. People do all these great dye mods, and never have the stickers to round it out.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 01:34:19 »
I think the new birth certificate is perfect. Can you please add a "Made in the United Kingdom" version? :)

As for the LED covers, check this out http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/pckeyboards_2153_4101098

Thank you
-SainT
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline wcass

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 10:52:15 »
You might try doing the Birth Certificat yourself. Download the DeltaCad demo and open up the zip attachment to the artcle. Edit the text as you would like - you can even enter your board numbers and change the text as you like.

Then, print it on a half-page office label (do a print preview first to make sure it doesn't come out on a seam). Trim to correct size with an office paper cutter. Cover with clear label if desired.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 May 2011, 00:03:38 »
How did you make the cable red? Same dye?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline wcass

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 May 2011, 16:05:47 »
yep, "scarlet" Rit dye.  after the caps were done, i turned off the heat and tried the cable. i had no idea how long it would take or even if it would take, but it came out super. make sure that the cable is clean and take care not to submerge either end of the cable. i used tape - adding string would have probably helped too.

use the right tools - an 8qt pasta steamer and a cooking thermometer work great. i cooked the key caps @ 180F for 1 hour. about 12 minutes for the cable.

i will do another for my wife in blue in a month or so - maybe i'll do an instructional video.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 May 2011, 21:58:45 »
That could be useful. At some point I'd like to make one of mine more modern looking.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline wcass

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 10:20:52 »
New classic square badges from Benton Trophy. Pictures in the main artical.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 February 2012, 02:33:53 »
wcass, and success finding other shops that can do blue or grey plastic labels?  A few people are interesting in getting labels made for IBM Space Saving keyboards as well.

Offline wcass

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 12:07:54 »
Quote from: litster;512349
wcass, and success finding other shops that can do blue or grey plastic labels?  A few people are interesting in getting labels made for IBM Space Saving keyboards as well.

no, but was thinking of trying to DIY with a color laser. please send me the height and width of a SSK label.

Offline litster

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 12:46:26 »
Cool.  I will make some measurement tonight.

Offline litster

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 12:07:23 »
Sorry, I forgot about this.  This is the measurement for the SSK label:

15.15mm
21.50mm

What's the best way to measure the curvature of its round edges?  

wcass, I still owe you some SSK plate measurement. :-)

Offline wcass

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 13:04:46 »
Quote from: litster;517111
Sorry, I forgot about this.  This is the measurement for the SSK label:

15.15mm
21.50mm

What's the best way to measure the curvature of its round edges?

i'll presume that it is the same as with the standard oval badge - true pill (half circle + rectangle + half circle). i'll post some PDFs to try out on Saturday to see if the shape and logo fits and looks right.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 13:50:03 »
the SSK oval is slightly smaller than the standard Model M oval

Offline wcass

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 21:12:35 »
this is a black and white mock-up. please print it out, cut it out and test the fit. i would like you to check if the size of the oval is correct and if the IBM is the correct angle and size. the PDF has 25 on a sheet. it took me a few trys to cut one i thought was OK.

i don't have a real SSK, but i have a Unicomp Mighty mouse that has a familiar oval at the top left corner. this is what it looks like.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41047[/ATTACH]
if this looks good to you, i will try to match the color - by the way, what color scheme are we going for?

Offline litster

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 21:23:13 »
wcass, do you want me to print the picture, or do you have a PDF file that you want me to print from?

Offline wcass

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 21:28:37 »
sorry, i thought i attached that ...
i know it showed up in the preview.

print the PDF at 100% or it will throw off the scale.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41051[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2012, 21:31:47 by wcass »

Offline litster

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 21:52:47 »
Woohoo!  The outside is sized perfectly.   The 3 letters are very close in size to Industrial SSK's badge's letters.  They are a little large compare to the 3 letters on black on white and blue on white logos.  I can take a couple of close up pictures to illustrate.

Offline wcass

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 22:09:28 »
please pick the one that has the logo/border most proper.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41053[/ATTACH]

Offline litster

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 22:23:09 »
Closeup shots of three different SSK logos.

Offline litster

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 22:24:38 »
Quote from: wcass;518345
please pick the one that has the logo/border most proper.
(Attachment Link) 41053[/ATTACH]

I think the 3rd or the 4th from the left are close.

Offline wcass

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 23:02:24 »
i wish i could do raised letters like that silver on black.

but i do have silver stock label laying about. if you are interested i could print some out and mail to you. you would need to cut them like out like the PDF. not a full sheet mind you as i was planning on doing a black on silver badge and birth cert for my blue 10keyless terminal mod, but 12-16 or so. would you like silver on black, black on silver, or a mix? PM your postal.

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 23:21:13 »
Awsome Stuff
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2012, 23:33:18 by KillerBee »
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 19:01:51 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41129[/ATTACH]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41130[/ATTACH]

Ohh Boy Ohh Boy Ohh Boy!!
Thanks WCASS

Offline litster

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 19:16:30 »
Quote from: wcass;518399
i wish i could do raised letters like that silver on black.

but i do have silver stock label laying about. if you are interested i could print some out and mail to you. you would need to cut them like out like the PDF. not a full sheet mind you as i was planning on doing a black on silver badge and birth cert for my blue 10keyless terminal mod, but 12-16 or so. would you like silver on black, black on silver, or a mix? PM your postal.

Are these printed on regular paper?

Offline wcass

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 22:34:50 »
Quote from: litster;519076
Are these printed on regular paper?

i have silver and gold foil label sheets with a peel and press adhesive back. it only looks metallic. i also have clear.

i ordered all from http://www.labelsbythesheet.com - sku# FL1-1R_0201

Offline litster

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 22:47:32 »
Quote from: wcass;519263
i have silver and gold foil label sheets with a peel and press adhesive back. it only looks metallic. i also have clear.

i ordered all from http://www.labelsbythesheet.com - sku# FL1-1R_0201

Thanks wcass.  I am more interested in replicas done on plastics.  :-)

Offline wcass

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 23:52:14 »
the clear label is plastic. i can do a color print to it.

Offline wcass

test labels for SSK only
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 22:29:58 »
lister, you might want to order a couple sheets of this (for laser) or this (for inkjet) and print this out. the text and background are slightly different colors for each - which one looks best may depend on printer and label sheet. i have not printed any, but on my display 4,3 or 5,3 look to be closest to your example.

if anyone wants to try this, please post what one looks the most like an original and also your printer model and the label sheet type. remember to print at 100% scale. this batch is sized to fit an IBM Space Saving keyboard. if you have another label you would like me to re-create, let me know.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42501[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2012, 22:54:24 by wcass »

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 05:05:51 »
Good Job WCASS!!

Offline litster

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 11:47:32 »
Quote from: wcass;533626
lister, you might want to order a couple sheets of this (for laser) or this (for inkjet) and print this out. the text and background are slightly different colors for each - which one looks best may depend on printer and label sheet. i have not printed any, but on my display 4,3 or 5,3 look to be closest to your example.

if anyone wants to try this, please post what one looks the most like an original and also your printer model and the label sheet type. remember to print at 100% scale. this batch is sized to fit an IBM Space Saving keyboard. if you have another label you would like me to re-create, let me know.

(Attachment Link) 42501[/ATTACH]

Thanks wcass.  I will order some and give this a try.  I have a color laser printer.

Offline wcass

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 21:50:29 »
another attachment by request
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53204[/ATTACH]