Author Topic: Snowdog's Model M Calendar Creation...  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Snowdog's Model M Calendar Creation...
« on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 16:54:55 »
I have been contemplating making a calendar for 2016....  It might be pretty cool to do....
Been playing with VistaPrint and came up with this:
I ordered one.  We will see how it turns out!
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2015, 13:40:22 by Snowdog993 »

Offline fanpeople

Re: Snowdog's Model M Calendar Creation...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 22:11:47 »
Aw man

That looks pretty good, I wouldn't mind one of those for the office.

Good work.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 03:22:06 »
Someone likes buckling springs :)

(Typed on one of my SSKs.)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 11:20:30 »
I really want to see how this one turns out!  I believe after shipping it was about $14 for it.  If it really looks as good as I think, I suppose I could order more.  It would make a nice gift for those other Model M fans out there!  We will see.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 11:48:01 »
Nice! Glad to see someone finally give this a go. Excited to see how it turns out.  ;D

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 12:22:43 »
Nerd calendars need naked stuff.

Open it up and show some springs and plates.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 12:38:36 »

Open it up and show some springs and plates.

I might do that if this one turns out great! Who knows?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 November 2015, 13:32:28 by Snowdog993 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 14:35:41 »
What a cool idea!  The keyboard of the month photos should be put into a calendar as well.  I bet those would be great too.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 14:38:52 »
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:17:47 »
What a cool idea!  The keyboard of the month photos should be put into a calendar as well.  I bet those would be great too.

This has been discussed, and I agree wholeheartedly.  :D  @Katushkin get on it!  :P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:24:34 »
I did think about it, and I would like to give it a go, and I even found a place I could get them from for a decent price. But because of the time that I started the competition, and wanting to get all the votes done, and the KOTY decided too, people wouldn't get them until late January/February.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:44:12 »
I did think about it, and I would like to give it a go, and I even found a place I could get them from for a decent price. But because of the time that I started the competition, and wanting to get all the votes done, and the KOTY decided too, people wouldn't get them until late January/February.

Calenders are not required for January, January is holiday time. Holiday time requires no measure.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 19:04:16 »

Calenders are not required for January, January is holiday time. Holiday time requires no measure.

Hmmm, true. I should create an IC at some point...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 07:43:43 »
Show Image

I think these might get a bit more attention  :eek:

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 21:41:26 »
Here is the link to the new calendar!  It came in the mail today!

http://imgur.com/a/aHZir

Take a look!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 03:59:19 »
That came out rather well :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 12:45:31 »
That came out rather well :)

It actually did!  It was very professionally done, but that is VistaPrint.  Much higher quality than I expected.  The wife took the thing to show to her friends at work and have a good laugh about what a geek I really am.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:28:49 »
Wow, dude, excellent. Anyone who loves Model M's would love this. In fact, I'm sorta wondering why you didn't let some of the rest of us get in on copies too... We might've been able to get a discount. Well, maybe next year.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:20:52 »
Wow, dude, excellent. Anyone who loves Model M's would love this. In fact, I'm sorta wondering why you didn't let some of the rest of us get in on copies too... We might've been able to get a discount. Well, maybe next year.

It's not the end of the year yet, is it?  I may be able to order more of them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:56:47 by Snowdog993 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 11:58:33 »

Perhaps we can consider this to be the test print.  ;)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:01:51 »

Perhaps we can consider this to be the test print.  ;)

I did order 5 more.  That's all I could do with my funds.

Edit: They should be arriving around Christmas time. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 11:30:04 by Snowdog993 »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:53:35 »
From your link: IBM 1392595 "e29 Coincidence"

?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:02:05 »
From your link: IBM 1392595 "e29 Coincidence"

?

Yes.  The keyboard that you posted a picture of as an example....

http://imgur.com/a/gQS7O

And the thread....  I forgot where it was!!!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34712.msg1682231#msg1682231

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 18:41:00 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 18:42:02 »
I wonder if anyone else made a 2016 Calendar of their own?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 05:16:45 »
I think you're the first.  Although with all the great shots posted here on GH, I think we should have an ongoing thread for nominating pics for an official GH calendar each year.  That would be pretty awesome.  And then after that, the official GH keyboard picture book in hardcover for the coffee table at home.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 04:40:02 »
I think you're the first.  Although with all the great shots posted here on GH, I think we should have an ongoing thread for nominating pics for an official GH calendar each year.  That would be pretty awesome.  And then after that, the official GH keyboard picture book in hardcover for the coffee table at home.

Some suggested that with the keyboard of the year candidates.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 11:31:53 »
I tried making the calendar with the resources available here.

The biggest problems are the LOW-Quality pictures I have in the mix.  They are indicated by the orange triangles you see in the creator.

Unless there is a way to get those pictures in higher resolution, it may not turn out very well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2015, 07:23:30 by Snowdog993 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 12:38:40 »

Some suggested that with the keyboard of the year candidates.
I think it's a great idea.  I really like the idea of a coffee table hardback picture book.  There's some beautiful shots in the threads here and showing them off in a book that would have people going, 'what type of keyboard is that?' would be super-cool.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 12:41:14 »
I tried making the calendar with the resources available here.

The biggest problems are the LOW-Quality pictures I have in the mix.  They are indicated by the orange triangles you see in the creator.

Unless there is a way to get those pictures in higher resolution, it may not turn out very well.

Agreed that no else is doing it, but there's always a leader or someone that takes the first step. ;)

Two things have to be in place to make these turn out really good.  One (as you've noted) are proper high-res pictures.  Two will be license grants from the photographers to use the photos (just to cover all the bases).

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 16:52:09 »
there's always a leader or someone that takes the first step.

A Model F calendar would be far more exciting, assuming that the majority of the shots showed the insides. I might even consider a pink plate and mat.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 21:20:37 »
there's always a leader or someone that takes the first step.

A Model F calendar would be far more exciting, assuming that the majority of the shots showed the insides. I might even consider a pink plate and mat.

Everyone is going to want what they prefer.  You can't please everyone.  I did like how my little project turned out.  Makes a great holiday gift too.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 03:09:17 »

LOL! I don't know about the book, but the annual calendar's a great idea. I'm sure many people here would subscribe.

A Model F calendar would be far more exciting, assuming that the majority of the shots showed the insides...

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 06:42:22 »
LOL! I don't know about the book...
Why not! :D  A conversation starter!  Or maybe ender depending on your guests, lol.