Author Topic: What is keycap shine?  (Read 13568 times)

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
What is keycap shine?
« on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:15:38 »
I've had this question on my mind for some time now.

Is shine:
(1) the result of your finger oil's sticking to the caps;
(2) the result of constant use rubbing away the texture on top of the caps and kind of "sanding" it down to a shine; or,
(3) a combination of both?

2 makes more sense to me, because PBT, being a stronger material than ABS, is more resistant to shine. If 2 were true, then it's because PBT is harder and thus not as easy to sand/polish down to a shine with your fingers.

Any thoughts? :3 For keyboard science, of course.
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: What is keycap shine?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:16:40 »
2, as a result of 1 + 2

so 3

but mostly 2
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 05:47:12 »
1 in the short term, 2 in the long term.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zensuji

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 06:52:10 »
Its where you keep taking a shine to new sets and can't stop buying them

Offline Magna224

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 07:56:51 »
Keycaps are worn down to the point of shining. Wearing down the texture. It might be oil/dirt on human hands though as I've never worn down keycaps to the point of shine myself even cheapo stock keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 07:59:31 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 07:59:47 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 08:16:36 »
2, as a result of 1 + 2

so 3

but mostly 2

+1

Embrace the shine...

107785-0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 14:58:08 »
And as you mentioned, some material more prone than other.

Topre spacebars are notorious for premature shining.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:26:53 »
And as you mentioned, some material more prone than other.

Topre spacebars are notorious for premature shining.

What exactly is considered premature?

And op, keycap shine is what some people here that treat keyboards as fashion accessories complain about. Can't let a little shine ruin it matching the rest of your outfit!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Data

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 20:56:14 »
It's wear. Some materials wear faster than others. Your skin oils don't really react with the polymers in any meaningful way, but they do lubricate the contact with your fingers so, in that sense, oily hands might help to reduce wear-related shine. But mostly it's just friction. Your fingertips effectively polish the caps. The skin on your fingers grows back. The plastic surface on your caps doesn't.

I guess if you have really, excessively oily hands that could add to the appearance of shine on your caps. So clean your damn keyboard. :p

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 21:11:18 »
Shiny Nuclear DSA is the way it was meant to be.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 21:41:50 »
Show Image

I can tell that you're a camper. Never using W to move forward.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 03:29:00 »
Show Image

Or maybe he doesn't play games at work...

It is an interesting wear pattern, though. I notice the "E" is not worn as much as "D" and even "F"... Which doesn't match English character usage, so what language does JD type in?

Could of course be more related to finger resting positions, but keeping your fingers on the home row is not ergonomic.. forces poor ulnar deviation.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 06:00:29 »

SA??
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 07:17:50 »

SA??

Perhaps he has some tritium-infused DSA caps that actually shine... as in "glow".

Worn-in SA caps are where it's at. The true typing experience.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 09:22:20 »

SA??

Yes. I always get confused.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 09:33:36 »
Show Image

Or maybe he doesn't play games at work...

It is an interesting wear pattern, though. I notice the "E" is not worn as much as "D" and even "F"... Which doesn't match English character usage, so what language does JD type in?

Could of course be more related to finger resting positions, but keeping your fingers on the home row is not ergonomic.. forces poor ulnar deviation.

Got it in one. I'm not much of a gamer, anyway, but that is my work keyboard.

I type in English. :)

I rest the fingers of my left hand on ASDF. My right hand rests on my mouse. I often move my left hand over the caps, which causes them to shine even faster. I can tell that this is terrible for my hands, because I have recently begun to notice the symptoms of osteoarthritis in my hands and wrists, and my keyboarding just aggravates the symptoms.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."