Author Topic: 8mm thick plate? - The sol1d Project  (Read 2386 times)

Offline QuyND

8mm thick plate? - The sol1d Project
« on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 03:11:27 »
Hey guys,
i just wanna show you guys a few photos of the project i'm working on - The sol1d Project. This is just a prototype to test if things fit together. Therefore there is no border and ramp to reduce cost of making a test piece.
This is a full brass, handwired, integrated plate, integrated hotswap, too. To made this happened, i have to made the plate 8mm thick to be able to pressed the hotswap socket into the plate.
Let me know what you think.

281724-0

281726-1

281728-2

281730-3

281732-4
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 January 2022, 05:50:57 by QuyND »

Offline headphone_jack

Re: 8mm thick plate? - The sol1d Project
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 12:47:17 »
That is absolutely stellar. Would love to try that out on a full board. Is there a sound test planned for this?

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 19:27:27 »
That hand wiring is beautiful!   One of the best I have seen.

Offline QuyND

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 20:24:25 »
That is absolutely stellar. Would love to try that out on a full board. Is there a sound test planned for this?

Sorry, no sound test yet. I’m planning to work on a 65, but i don’t know if it could happen because the brass itself is pretty costly. Nearly 300 bucks for just raw brass material.

That hand wiring is beautiful!   One of the best I have seen.

Thanks. This hand wiring is time consuming more than my expected. It took 5 to 6 hours just to soldering this, not to mention 1 to 2 hours bending the wire. Maybe it would be faster the second time.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 January 2022, 03:02:55 »
Looks great, are the hotswaps glued or friction fit?  They aren't designed to be put in a hole so I wonder about their tolerances if friction.  If they have a nice mould burr round the edge that's probably good for this.

As to the price yes brass is expensive - an interesting choice for a prototype so I'm really glad it worked!  Given how solid it is have you thought about using aluminium for the 65%?  Obviously not going to be as heavy as brass but could be heavy enough.  If not stainless steel is plenty heavy and a quick glance at scrap values suggests it's only 20% of the price of brass, though that would increase the machining time so maybe not good if you're paying for that too.

Not surprised your beautiful wire bending took hours, your soldering speed will improve :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline QuyND

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 January 2022, 05:48:24 »
Looks great, are the hotswaps glued or friction fit?  They aren't designed to be put in a hole so I wonder about their tolerances if friction.  If they have a nice mould burr round the edge that's probably good for this.

As to the price yes brass is expensive - an interesting choice for a prototype so I'm really glad it worked!  Given how solid it is have you thought about using aluminium for the 65%?  Obviously not going to be as heavy as brass but could be heavy enough.  If not stainless steel is plenty heavy and a quick glance at scrap values suggests it's only 20% of the price of brass, though that would increase the machining time so maybe not good if you're paying for that too.

Not surprised your beautiful wire bending took hours, your soldering speed will improve :thumb:

Those hotswaps are pressed in. My first intention was to use adhesive to locks them, but then i found out if i machined those pockets 0,025-0,03mm under, the plastic housing will be compressed and stay there beautifully. So no need for adhesive. But if the hotswaps fall apart after a while - but i don’t think that they will, you can always use adhesive like epoxy to glue them in.

My workshop that i’m working only and only machining brass, so other type of material is not allowed :(. But if i can, i would love to try to make a solid stainless steel one. I’ll pass on aluminum because everyone else is working on aluminum, and of course i can’t compete with that.

The 65% i estimate that it would need about 16kg of raw brass material, and it would be ~7kg when finished. This is just a quick sketch.

281769-0

281771-1

281773-2

Offline marici22

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 03:27:11 »
The hand wiring is beautiful it makes my eyes water

Offline c.a.t.

• All about Keyboards sound...
    • Click and Thock
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 21:54:54 »