Author Topic: Thoughts on 43 inch monitors?  (Read 14925 times)

Offline Sniping

Thoughts on 43 inch monitors?
« on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 21:47:09 »
I've been eyeing this monitor 43 inch monitor for the last couple of weeks. Everyone's been telling me that 43 inches would be too big but I think a 43 inch 4K panel sounds like a good idea. It seems like most people are drawing the line at 30-32 inches, and anything more is too big. At $450 it isn't  much more expensive than most 32 inch 4K monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2

What do people think of 40+ inch monitors? It seems like it hasn't caught on in the past few years, but it seems like monitors are getting bigger and bigger as panel resolution increases.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Thoughts on 43 inch monitors?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 21:59:09 »
If you use it just as a monitor, it's fine..

But since it's 4K,  I assume you'd want to watch 4k blurays/ HDR content..

That's going to be an issue because this is a standard srgb gamut panel..  which means it will not render HDR properly..

Other than that, Strictly as a monitor with NO intention of 4K bluray/HDR content (future HDR games),  this monitor will work fine.

If you intend to use it for content consumption,  you don't want IPS look for VA,  the colors are much deeper and more vivid.

Tp4 personally uses a 50 inch at 2 meters (standing desk),   and a 70 inch at 4 meters..

43 inch is too big for 2 feet / 3 feet desks,  you want to be at least 1.5 meters away .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 22:39:23 »
You have to consider how close you will be to the screen, larger is not necessarily better. From too close up, your field of view is not large enough to really take advantage of it and you end up craning your neck all over to see. This is especially bad for FPS gaming as you can't take in your surroundings well enough. One of my clients had a 46 or 48in screen on a deep desk, one of those old large wooden 3ft deep executive desks. It was MISERABLE. It's nearly 3 feet tall, I had to look up waaaaaay too much to see the top and because it was so far away, they actually had lower the resolution to be able to see the text on it, especially near the top.

I recently had to replace my screens after one of my dual 25in died, and I actually paid more to get smaller screens because no one wants to to sell high resolution, in a smaller size. Why? Because it doesn't make sense on a desk. Humans have a wide field of view, and our necks are better at twisting than they are at looking up, so extra wide is fine, but too tall gets old really fast. Several times now I've had to use monitors that I found were actually too tall to be comfortable, the first was a 22in crt on a shallow desk, and the second was that customers TV screen, which even they said was miserable. When the son moved out, he took it with him and the bought a 25in.

OH, and something not mentioned and does matter, a LOT, is scaling.
Mac does this really well, but that's because it was engineered for a high res screen. Windows scales okay, the taskbar can get a bit small on Win8 or 7, 10 is better, but other than that most things on it seem to adapt to high res okay, not great, but okay. Browsers can be very iffy. Linux support for it varies depending on the desktop environment, for example Cinnamon does great at 1080p, and at 4k, but 2560x1440p screens are stuck in the middle and results in some rather small font (which is what I use). On the other hand, Elementary works great on 1440 and even better on 4k, but oh god is it horrible on a 1366x768 screen, the icons are massive.

Some of this can be fixed, some of it cannot so the best advice, go test drive one of these screens before you buy, because it doesn't always work as well as you think. Honestly, on such a large screen being so far away, lower resolution may actually be better and cheaper.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 00:15:51 »
I use a 40” monitor with a 16:10 aspect and I really like it. I made my desk slightly lower than average and the monitor is only about 2” off the desktop which keeps the screen top from being uncomfortably high. I think it is easier on the eyes to be a little farther away from the screen. It is UHD but I prefer using 2560x1600.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:59:40 »
I use a 40” monitor with a 16:10 aspect and I really like it. I made my desk slightly lower than average and the monitor is only about 2” off the desktop which keeps the screen top from being uncomfortably high. I think it is easier on the eyes to be a little farther away from the screen. It is UHD but I prefer using 2560x1600.

Tp4 uses 1366x768 on the 4K 50 inch from 2 meters away..

For CAD , Tp4 goes up to 1920x1080

Only use 4K itself for movies // gamz..

Offline Sniping

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 19:26:14 »
You have to consider how close you will be to the screen, larger is not necessarily better. From too close up, your field of view is not large enough to really take advantage of it and you end up craning your neck all over to see. This is especially bad for FPS gaming as you can't take in your surroundings well enough. One of my clients had a 46 or 48in screen on a deep desk, one of those old large wooden 3ft deep executive desks. It was MISERABLE. It's nearly 3 feet tall, I had to look up waaaaaay too much to see the top and because it was so far away, they actually had lower the resolution to be able to see the text on it, especially near the top.

I recently had to replace my screens after one of my dual 25in died, and I actually paid more to get smaller screens because no one wants to to sell high resolution, in a smaller size. Why? Because it doesn't make sense on a desk. Humans have a wide field of view, and our necks are better at twisting than they are at looking up, so extra wide is fine, but too tall gets old really fast. Several times now I've had to use monitors that I found were actually too tall to be comfortable, the first was a 22in crt on a shallow desk, and the second was that customers TV screen, which even they said was miserable. When the son moved out, he took it with him and the bought a 25in.

OH, and something not mentioned and does matter, a LOT, is scaling.
Mac does this really well, but that's because it was engineered for a high res screen. Windows scales okay, the taskbar can get a bit small on Win8 or 7, 10 is better, but other than that most things on it seem to adapt to high res okay, not great, but okay. Browsers can be very iffy. Linux support for it varies depending on the desktop environment, for example Cinnamon does great at 1080p, and at 4k, but 2560x1440p screens are stuck in the middle and results in some rather small font (which is what I use). On the other hand, Elementary works great on 1440 and even better on 4k, but oh god is it horrible on a 1366x768 screen, the icons are massive.

Some of this can be fixed, some of it cannot so the best advice, go test drive one of these screens before you buy, because it doesn't always work as well as you think. Honestly, on such a large screen being so far away, lower resolution may actually be better and cheaper.

My situation now is that I have a 27 inch 1440p panel and after using my friend's dual 32" 4K monitors, I've been craving a bigger monitor.

Sampling is important, I agree. I've definitely seen some wack scaling on laptops with high res monitors. I would think that I should be worried less about scaling if I was buying a bigger monitor, and for the sizes that I'm considering (probably either 32", 40 or 43) that I shouldn't be too worried about scaling.

I think the test drive is a good idea, but I feel like I'd need to bring the monitor into my own setup and try it for myself. Maybe I can buy something from Costco and take advantage of their return policy to test out a 32" monitor and see if I actually need anything bigger.

tp also brings up a good point with viewing distance. My desk is only 29 inches deep so even with my monitor arm I would only be 2.5 feet away. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that I'd be pay almost the same price if I got a 32" monitor, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I hardly game anymore and most of my media consumption is on Youtube, only seldom do I watch movies.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 20:40:48 »
If you're just out to BUY SOMETHING.. get a color calibration probe.. you will fall in love with your monitor all over again.. hahahahah...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 03:28:33 »
My situation now is that I have a 27 inch 1440p panel and after using my friend's dual 32" 4K monitors, I've been craving a bigger monitor.
I hadn't seen anything over 1080 when I bought an 11in laptop with a 2560x1440 screen, Linux Mint's taskbar was comically small on it (gotta love small screens) but browsing was fine, which is the opposite of my desktop now,  the taskbar is fine but web page text scaling is an issue because I sit back further.

For testing in a store, all you really need to do is see how far you need to sit to read it comfortably and see if it will work for you, since you've used it already, you're probably fine though.  Better yet, take your system to your buddies and try it for an hour.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 09:55:50 »
I hadn't seen anything over 1080 when I bought an 11in laptop with a 2560x1440 screen, Linux Mint's taskbar was comically small on it (gotta love small screens) but browsing was fine, which is the opposite of my desktop now,  the taskbar is fine but web page text scaling is an issue because I sit back further.

For testing in a store, all you really need to do is see how far you need to sit to read it comfortably and see if it will work for you, since you've used it already, you're probably fine though.  Better yet, take your system to your buddies and try it for an hour.

1366x768, Problem Solved.. Thx Tp, Tp = The Best.. !!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 17:40:08 »
Nothing wrong with that resolution on an 11in laptop. I have a few.

It should be criminal to offer that resolution in a 15in screen which several companies STILL offer.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 18:08:36 »
Nothing wrong with that resolution on an 11in laptop. I have a few.

It should be criminal to offer that resolution in a 15in screen which several companies STILL offer.

Tp4 uses 1366x768 on 50 inch 4K tv..

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 18:14:30 »
Man you guys use some big a$$ monitors.

I'm happy with my one 27" (find it the best size for gaming)
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 19:31:24 »
Man you guys use some big a$$ monitors.

I'm happy with my one 27" (find it the best size for gaming)

I'm thinking about buying dat 240hz gamn' monitor..

But I'm not convinced it's faster than mah CRT..

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 00:44:08 »
I use this LG 43” at the office and home:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1325220-REG/lg_43ud79_b_uhd_monitor_43_4k.html

It’s great for productivity and having a couple of 24-25” flankers in portrait reall set it off. I also have no issues with gaming. Althought it is only 60hz, I believe the immersion of the screen size makes up for it. They frequently drop in price and I got 2 of these for about $490 shipped.

Hope that helps!

Offline John12Z

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 08:28:36 »
I use a 27" + 27" setup. I cannot imagine using a #43" though but would definitely give it a try just to see how it feels.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 18:40:37 »
It seems like most people are drawing the line at 30-32 inches, and anything more is too big.

Nah. I've got a curved 38" screen and to me that's just perfect (mainly for software development). I don't use it to watch movie (got a projector for that) nor to play games.

I'd say 38" is kinda big but not too big. 34", either curved or not, is definitely not too big.

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:15:29 »
A 43" panel at 4K is roughly the same PPI as a 22" at 1920x1080.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 18:13:18 »
I use a 42" 4K at work, for productivity it's great cuz you essentially have 4 bezeless 1080p displays to work with

when using it like this, distance from the screen doesn't matter as much, as your focus tends to remain on a single quadrant at a time as opposed to the entire screen
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 10:39:20 »
I'm presently using two monitors, for various gaming types and movies:

2x VEGA 64 + Samsung C49HG90DME 3840x1080 (32:9) 49" monitor with all the bells and whistle (HDR, 144Hz Freesync 2 support)- As this aspect ratio lends itself wonderfully for racing games, I'm using this setup for racing games (gonna buy a set of steering wheel and pedal, thinking of Logitech G29 or the ThrustMaster TMX Pro), and for FPS but NOT those types of FPS games that require you to run all over the place ducking anf shooting.....nosirree, too much movement on such a big screen can be disorientating as well as a bit nauseating. FPS games like Doom, Metro series, Titanfall 2 and the like, are more suited for this monitor.

RTX 2080 Ti + Acer 3440x1440 34" (21:9) for all other games, was great for racing games but the Samsung afford a much wider POV. I will no longer go back to any 16:9 monitor for gaming as I find this aspect ratio to be too 'boxy' (for want of a better word)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 12:33:32 »
I'm presently using two monitors, for various gaming types and movies:

2x VEGA 64 + Samsung C49HG90DME 3840x1080 (32:9) 49" monitor with all the bells and whistle (HDR, 144Hz Freesync 2 support)- As this aspect ratio lends itself wonderfully for racing games, I'm using this setup for racing games (gonna buy a set of steering wheel and pedal, thinking of Logitech G29 or the ThrustMaster TMX Pro), and for FPS but NOT those types of FPS games that require you to run all over the place ducking anf shooting.....nosirree, too much movement on such a big screen can be disorientating as well as a bit nauseating. FPS games like Doom, Metro series, Titanfall 2 and the like, are more suited for this monitor.

RTX 2080 Ti + Acer 3440x1440 34" (21:9) for all other games, was great for racing games but the Samsung afford a much wider POV. I will no longer go back to any 16:9 monitor for gaming as I find this aspect ratio to be too 'boxy' (for want of a better word)

I'm thinkn' bout getting that LG 240hz monitor 27inch..  still on the fence because of the contrast drift at angles.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 13:36:46 »
Depends on what you're using it for but IMO 2x 27" 2k monitors are the way to go.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 14:31:38 »
For me the sweet spot is 32" 16:9 4K.
The sharpness I get in 4K IMHO is more satisfying than 120Hz or 21:9 or any other modern features. At least for what I do (design, 3D, browsing, movies, and non-FPS gaming). I'm not buying a "low res" display ever again.

BTW, 32" is great because even if some random app can't scale it's big enough to be still usable, unlike in most smaller 4K displays. But at the same time it's still small enough to get all the benefits from a HiDPI display.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 16:15:45 »
I use a 35" 1440p ultrawide. I'm not sure if I'd want to go any higher than that honestly