Author Topic: Deck Legend - Status LED you can see  (Read 8337 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

Deck Legend - Status LED you can see
« on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 06:38:37 »

Hi Guys,

I’m a natural born master complainer so the first thing I noticed with my new Deck is the Status LEDs so dark I can barely see them. I found the Status LED issue pretty ironic for a product like that. Anyway, after exchanging a couple of emails with Adam at deckkeyboards.com I noticed a 3rd thing. The email technical support is PERFECT. If Adam’s boss is reading, give Adam an award and a big raise ;-)

Unfortunately, the Status LEDs are bleak by design. The good news is if this is something you don’t like about your Deck then here is a very very easy way to fix it:

What you need:
-drill bit 3/16
-Semi rigid nylon tubing with inside diameter ~3/16 (4.70mm)
The outside is up to you. Mine is about 6.50mm and I wouldn’t recommend going much thicker. Increasing the outside diameter will reduce elasticity and make the insertion on the LEDs much harder.
-Anything able to punch a round hole in the Deck sticker large enough to allow the tubes to go thru.
-A sharp wire cutter. To make nice round even edges when you will cut the tube.

What you do:
1-Cut 3 x 1 inch pieces of the nylon tubing
2-Take the keyboard cover off
3-Stretch one end of the nylon pieces by forcing the dull side of the drill bit a quarter inch in. Remove the drill bit from the tube
4-Insert the pieces over each Status LED, with the stretched end over the LEDs.
5-Remove the Deck sticker (gently push under, it will come off)
6-Punch holes in the Deck sticker. Use the Status LED “letters” to guide you. Make sure the tubes can easily fit in.
7-Put back the sticker in place on the cover
8-Put the cover back on the keyboard with the tube sleeves sticking out of each holes. I used a precision screw driver to align the sleeves in the holes.I recommend not screwing the cover yet. You want to test if everything fits nicely first.
9-Make sure the cover is properly in place and cut the tubes sleeves at a height you like. I did few tests on my own and 2mm did the trick for me. Once you are happy, screw back the cover
10-Enjoy your BRIGHT STATUS LEDS

VOILA!!! The real thing is much brighter then the pictures below shot with my cheap camera.

Just with the tubes out:

with red pegs in

With clear pegs in

Here's what a Deck guy said about it:

“Wow fantastic mod!  Did you ever get to register on our forums?  If so you should post that under the Mods section, I bet other Deck users would like to see your ingenuity!  Keep up the good work!”

Another shot with a different camera setup... this time it is brighter then the real thing. I'm starting to understand what they mean when they say it is not easy to take "realistic" pictures.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2009, 06:41:02 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

Deck Legend - Status LED you can see
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 17:34:54 »
Quote from: ripster;109725
Thanks for posting this.  I was going to make a light tube for my CST Trackball because they embed the DPI led in the ball  where it's difficult to see.  I've been looking at exotic fiber optic stuff when a simple rubber tube would probably do.

Hey thanks,

Fiber is a must if you want to carry light on a long distance. Not sure about rubber even on a short runs.  But the semi rigid gas lining (comes in all kinds of color and size) they are using for remote Heli, planes etc works great.

The nylon tubing they sell for aquariums is also perfect for the task.

Happy modding :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)